• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

U.S national soccer team fails to qualify for World Cup

Started by 136 or 142, October 11, 2017, 12:34:02 AM

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 12, 2017, 03:18:41 PM
If Fox covers it I will watch because I love the World Cup.  Just so long as they don't get a stupid assed idea to run commercials during gameplay, like USA network did twenty or so years ago.
Or do some glowing ball gimmick like they tried to do with the hockey puck years ago. Was no annoying, it would show the puck on the other side of the boards, and was confusing.

Soccer: Americas 'next big thing' since 1974!

ShayP

Quote from: albrecht on October 12, 2017, 03:24:22 PM
Or do some glowing ball gimmick like they tried to do with the hockey puck years ago. Was no annoying, it would show the puck on the other side of the boards, and was confusing.

Soccer: Americas 'next big thing' since 1974!

Speaking of gimmicky...

You have to admit that the old indoor leagues were fun, Right? Maybe?  ;)

And of course the older version of the NASL back when the New York Cosmos signed Pele, Beckenbauer, and Cruyff, just to name a few.

*Edit ~ Cruyff actually played for Los Angeles.

Quote from: ShayP on October 12, 2017, 04:21:01 PM
Speaking of gimmicky...

And of course the older version of the NASL back when the New York Cosmos signed Pele, Beckenbauer, and Cruyff, just to name a few.

Why are you talking about our space program?  This is the soccer thread.

albrecht

Speaking of gimmicky...

If you haven't seen it they made a pretty good movie about the Cosmos and since it is NYC in the late 70s it is funny just for that.
"Once in a Lifetime: The Extraordinary Story of the New York Cosmos"

I also liked the ads from a WC, or 2 ago, showing some kids playing soccer and picking teams with current great players and one kid picks Beckenbauer. It was hilarious and good commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fncOu6dp1IY

ShayP

Quote from: albrecht on October 12, 2017, 04:32:13 PM
If you haven't seen it they made a pretty good movie about the Cosmos and since it is NYC in the late 70s it is funny just for that.
"Once in a Lifetime: The Extraordinary Story of the New York Cosmos"

I also liked the ads from a WC, or 2 ago, showing some kids playing soccer and picking teams with current great players and one kid picks Beckenbauer. It was hilarious and good commercial.

Agreed.  I love that commercial.  The reaction when the kid chooses Beckenbauer is great.  Looks like he was really there.

Oh, and I will look up that movie.  I haven't seen it but will.  ;)

GravitySucks

Speaking of gimmicky...

No I don’t. Stupid game. Indoors or out. ESPECIALLY these new leagues they have for kids where they don’t keep score. Frikkin commies.

ShayP

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 12, 2017, 04:36:44 PM
I loved this movie but never watched much soccer much outside of Mexican restaurants.

Ya know...I last watched that movie in the early 80's and I can't recall much of it.  The two things I remember most (for some reason) is the meager meal they were given before the match, and the scene where they had to break the other player's arm so Stallone's character could get in the game.  Made me cringe.

I need to throw this on the pile of movies I need to watch again.

GravitySucks

Soeaking of soccer movies, the only good part of Bend it like Beckham is when the couch full of Indian (dot, not feather) old ladies all reach for their purses when a cell phone begins ringing.

ShayP

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 12, 2017, 04:43:03 PM
No I don’t. Stupid game. Indoors or out. ESPECIALLY these new leagues they have for kids where they don’t keep score. Frikkin commies.

Soooo what are trying to say?  ;D

The children's leagues are dumb.  My buddy's kid plays and it's nonsensical.  They aren't learning anything.  It's as if he pays the fees just so the kids can play outside.  :-\

Juan

All metric football is boring. Get rid of the offsides rule, install something like a blue line if you must, and it might be watchable.

GravitySucks

Quote from: ShayP on October 12, 2017, 04:47:37 PM
Soooo what are trying to say?  ;D

The children's leagues are dumb.  My buddy's kid plays and it's nonsensical.  They aren't learning anything.  It's as if he pays the fees just so the kids can play outside.  :-\

Speaking of games where hardly any goals are normally scored, did you catch that season opener between the Blackhawks and the Penguins?

ShayP

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 12, 2017, 04:50:56 PM
Speaking of games where hardly any goals are normally scored, did you catch that season opener between the Blackhawks and the Penguins?

LOL!  Yeah I did.

...smart ass.  >:(

;)

ShayP

Quote from: Juan on October 12, 2017, 04:50:39 PM
All metric football is boring. Get rid of the offsides rule, install something like a blue line if you must, and it might be watchable.

Or adjust the offsides rule somehow.  I doubt it will ever happen though.  This sport is filled with more purists than baseball.

albrecht

Quote from: ShayP on October 12, 2017, 04:54:39 PM
Or adjust the offsides rule somehow.  I doubt it will ever happen though.  This sport is filled with more purists than baseball.
They already have adjusted the off-side rule and many purists don't like it and judgement call (now a player can be in an offside position but as long as it "actively involved in play" is not called on it.) They also adjusted (mainly for time-wasting) things like pass-backs to goalie, how quickly goalie must get rid of ball once he catches it, etc.

I think the biggest problem many Americans have is draws and too many judgement calls. Way to many. We used to have more of this in our sports but have adjusted rules to try, in most cases, to get rid of them. My pet theory is why soccer fans fight each other is the pent up frustration of watching a match that ends with no resolution, really (I know, I know there is a difference in the standings but still, especially if rivals?)

TigerLily

Maybe we need to recruit these guys for next year  8)

SredniVashtar

Quote from: albrecht on October 12, 2017, 05:14:24 PM
They already have adjusted the off-side rule and many purists don't like it and judgement call (now a player can be in an offside position but as long as it "actively involved in play" is not called on it.) They also adjusted (mainly for time-wasting) things like pass-backs to goalie, how quickly goalie must get rid of ball once he catches it, etc.

I think the biggest problem many Americans have is draws and too many judgement calls. Way to many. We used to have more of this in our sports but have adjusted rules to try, in most cases, to get rid of them. My pet theory is why soccer fans fight each other is the pent up frustration of watching a match that ends with no resolution, really (I know, I know there is a difference in the standings but still, especially if rivals?)

You should watch rugby. It's nothing but judgement calls. Ref blows his whistle but nobody knows why.

albrecht

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 12, 2017, 05:27:59 PM
You should watch rugby. It's nothing but judgement calls. Ref blows his whistle but nobody knows why.
Been to several matches. Oddly enough in Ireland where it is popular especially in Munster. Go Garryowen! Go Munster! I never quite "got" all the rules but not as confusing, to me, as cricket. Best I could figure for cricket was an excuse for a multi-day binge? Never saw live but tried to watch on tv to no real avail. Lucked out enough to be in London when y'all won the Ashes and it was crazy. People watching from precarious rooftops, drunks all over the place, and then the victorious team going on a bender and showing up the next day for the parade absolutely blotto. And the tabloids following them from pub to club and documenting their antics (I got a free pint of London Pride courtesy of the Daily Express.)

Fyodor Gutman

The sport promotes all the worst values. We Americans like sports that utilize the hands, our forebears having literally hand-carved a republic out of the wilderness.

ShayP

Bruce Arena resigned.  Thank goodness.  Hopefully Gulati is next.

There's talk of Tab Ramos taking over.  Meh.  :-\

GravitySucks

Quote from: ShayP on October 13, 2017, 09:51:50 AM
Bruce Arena resigned.  Thank goodness.  Hopefully Gulati is next.

There's talk of Tab Ramos taking over.  Meh.  :-\

If you want to sit at the table with the cool kids stop acting like a frikkin geek.

ShayP

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 13, 2017, 10:38:36 AM
If you want to sit at the table with the cool kids stop acting like a frikkin geek.

It's lucky for you that you're west of the Mississippi buddy.  >:(

;)

GravitySucks

Quote from: ShayP on October 13, 2017, 10:52:26 AM
It's lucky for you that you're west of the Mississippi buddy.  >:(

;)

Pffft

I actually went to some Dynamo games when they had Brian Ching and played at UofH. I have never been to their new stadium.