• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Faustina

Quote from: boxman on January 16, 2016, 03:51:16 PM
So seems to me like that Art enjoys building up the show but not actually doing it and it apparently did not grow quickly enough for him to keep interest.

I agree with this.  To add to your theory, I heard that several advertisers, possibly more, and the larger ones (more significantly sized companies) dropped their ads from the show after having received insufficient numbers in the way of new customers from their ads.  Art heard of this, I'm sure, and it may have made him realize that the show was not exactly taking off.  However, that "Cumulus deal" that I heard the rumor was just around the corner may have rectified this in some way, if that deal meant that MITD would then have started airing on a bunch of Cumulus stations. 

nika01

I am burning my Art Bell T shirts. Beyond disgusted .

Faustina

Quote from: WOTR on January 16, 2016, 04:39:30 PM

It really leaves me wondering if the only thing keeping people here for the last half decade was some hope that Art would return one day.  Kind of fucked up if that was the case...

I don't think so.  Not at all, in fact.  I think the forum became a gathering place for (mostly) like-minded souls.  The type of late-night people drawn to Art Bell and his show, the kind of topics the show covered,  have many other things in common, too.  Plus, it's always been a good place to come for a laugh or two.  There are some smart, witty people on this board.  It's only lately that it;s been depressing, for the obvious reason, and I highly suspect this too shall pass and the GNS thread will have new life breathed into it.  I hope members will also post about shows they're listening to in the alternative of listening to Art, per my earlier post suggesting that as a new direction for the forum.  I mostly listen to Clyde Lewis, Darkness Radio, and Dark City (it saddens me that that show isn't five nights a week and live, though:  Bateman should aim towards that, although I suppose the bill-paying job severely hampers his time ability to do that).  I tend to get more excited over a show I can listen to live 5 nights a week than I do podcasts.  And the shows that are on live 5 nights a week generally have a proven host that can pull in listeners, giving the shows longevity and relevance some (many) of the podcasts lack. 

I also really enjoy MV's Radio Trainwreck:  he and Evelyn are great together -- presenting very different views but still being respectful and obviously fond of each other.  Very rare for a political podcast; it's hard to even find one where there are two hosts with opposing views who have any sort of rapport and/or chemistry.  Radio Trainwreck will be increasingly relevant as the Presidential race heats up.  I'm hoping that it will be on weekly from next week out.  (One of my pet peeves is podcasts which can't stick to a schedule).

munbeam666

Quote from: Faustina on January 16, 2016, 05:01:07 PM
I don't think so.  Not at all, in fact.  I think the forum became a gathering place for (mostly) like-minded souls.  The type of late-night people drawn to Art Bell and his show, the kind of topics the show covered,  have many other things in common, too.  Plus, it's always been a good place to come for a laugh or two.  There are some smart, witty people on this board.  It's only lately that it;s been depressing, for the obvious reason, and I highly suspect this too shall pass and the GNS thread will have new life breathed into it.  I hope members will also post about shows they're listening to in the alternative of listening to Art, per my earlier post suggesting that as a new direction for the forum.  I mostly listen to Clyde Lewis, Darkness Radio, and Dark City (it saddens me that that show isn't five nights a week and live, though:  Bateman should aim towards that, although I suppose the bill-paying job severely hampers his time ability to do that).  I tend to get more excited over a show I can listen to live 5 nights a week than I do podcasts.  And the shows that are on live 5 nights a week generally have a proven host that can pull in listeners, giving the shows longevity and relevance some (many) of the podcasts lack. 

I also really enjoy MV's Radio Trainwreck:  he and Evelyn are great together -- presenting very different views but still being respectful and obviously fond of each other.  Very rare for a political podcast; it's hard to even find one where there are two hosts with opposing views who have any sort of rapport and/or chemistry.  Radio Trainwreck will be increasingly relevant as the Presidential race heats up.  I'm hoping that it will be on weekly from next week out.  (One of my pet peeves is podcasts which can't stick to a schedule).
+1

nika01

Seriously wondering why this place still exists.

Kolchak

Quote from: nika01 on January 16, 2016, 05:31:51 PM

This is designed to make MV money. Get with the program.

Faustina

Quote from: nika01 on January 16, 2016, 05:31:51 PM

We will rebuild.

nika01

Quote from: Kolchak on January 16, 2016, 05:39:54 PM
This is designed to make MV money. Get with the program.

I can respect that reason.

Fired up a 20 year old Gateway today and found this in my netscape mail labelled URGENT from ArtBell@aol.com

norland2424

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on January 16, 2016, 05:59:31 PM
Fired up a 20 year old Gateway today and found this in my netscape mail labelled URGENT from ArtBell@aol.com

LOL

Faustina

Quote from: nika01 on January 16, 2016, 05:58:27 PM
I can respect that reason.

He's got kids to feed, after all.

Jackstar

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 15, 2016, 06:21:35 PM
Wasn't part of her schtick that

Oh, you rogue. You know precisely what her "schtick" was. :rolleyes:

Jackstar

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 16, 2016, 11:23:15 AM
all these trolls keep showing up saying "that fucker owes me."

YouTube or it didn't happen.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Gruntled on January 16, 2016, 03:17:24 PM
This is a good idea.
I for one, could use a "T.V. Guide" type of forum to sort out the available podcasts and internet radio shows dedicated to the paranormal or like genre
that are out there.
I was unaware of Phil Henrie before I came here. I'm sure there are many more interesting personalities that a lot of folks are unaware of too.
Maybe this is an opportunity for MV to turn Art's dark cloud of departure into a $$$ silver lining.
Praise MV

Quote from: Faustina on January 16, 2016, 04:20:49 PM
I so agree with this.  Lately, another online broadcasting network is springing up seemingly every time I turn around.  I don't have time to listen to all the shows that air on these networks, and would love for this forum to be a place where I, and others, could get a heads-up as to which ones are worth taking the time to check out.  I think that would be a good move for this forum:   to serve as a "go to" place for hearing about the latest on independent internet radio shows and to get word out about it (I could help with this:  I run a number of FB groups).  I realize that, to an extent, Bellgab has already served this purpose in the "other podcasts" thread(s), but I think that aspect of the forum would do well to become its main focus.  I think it would help the forum to grow and evolve, since internet broadcasting networks and their shows is a burgeoning media field, it seems to me.  There is a growing market for these shows, as more and more people look for an alternative to the increasingly mediocre shows on terrestrial radio. And not just 'paranormal' talk, but all internet talk radio that's relevant and compelling, whether it be sports, politics, pop culture or film.  In addition, having the forum focus on this ("other" talk radio shows) could help out a lot of us here who prefer to get off the Art Bell Train and are looking for alternatives.

I agree with all of this but I have one big caution in terms of expectations. It's nice that so many people are getting a chance to be podcasters and a portion have some degree of talent. But the sheer number of podcasts out there, even with a forum or a "TV Guide" to sort them out, threatens to bury any emerging talent in a sea of voices, streams and MP3s.

Individual listeners only have so much time to listen to the radio or podcasts. The old paradigm, where broadcast stations and networks sought out and promoted talented people, was a more practical mechanism for bringing more and better radio talent to more listeners. Yes, corporate interests and marketers have hurt both AM and FM radio content, but I don't think that opening up the podcast floodgates is necessarily the answer to finding more Art Bells.

I have listened to more AM radio since Art left and found that there are some intelligent, enjoyable shows out there, even in syndication. It's not all Rush and Hannity. Let's not just write off conventional radio and put all of our attention on Internet alternatives.

Tinfoil_Helm

Damn, we got served.

Tinfoil_Helm

Quote from: Jackstar on January 16, 2016, 02:08:14 AM
Considering how easily the majority of the soldiers broke rank, it's difficult to think of what once was as anything more than a rag-tag gang of misfits with no cohesion beyond their shared hate.

This is pretty absurd to imply that Art's supporters have been disloyal.  Especially after he threatened legal action(::)) against MV, who is pretty neutral and benevolent as far as I can tell.  For some of these loyalists I wonder how much they can take.

Art lured thousands of people to contribute their money toward this project and then he fucking ghosted.  It's fraudulent.  I'm surprised people aren't threatening HIM with legal action.

Claudius

Quote from: MV on January 16, 2016, 06:32:04 PM
Sounds good to me.
I've been gone for some time and didn't know about all this lawsuit stuff. I came here mainly for the entertainment and because I find Art Bell outrageous, but really suing? What a scum bag Art is, 'I'm going to sue a forum because people say things I don't like.

I've got to hand it to you MV, you stood up for what is right and didn't crumble just because he is the "great" Art Bell. Kudos to you! 

MV/Liberace!

Man.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Tinfoil_Helm on January 16, 2016, 06:34:56 PM
This is pretty absurd to imply that Art's supporters have been disloyal.  Especially after he threatened legal action(::)) against MV, who is pretty neutral and benevolent as far as I can tell.  For some of these loyalists I wonder how much they can take.

Art lured thousands of people to contribute their money toward this project and then he fucking ghosted.  It's fraudulent.  I'm surprised people aren't threatening HIM with legal action.

Absurd because this charge is based on a warped sense of standards and ethics. Look to the source.

hey chocolate  your avatar   +1000000  awesome

BellBoy

Quote from: chefist on December 20, 2015, 11:23:49 AM
That's what I see as well...you used to come here and say things like, "good show last night", or "all the best, Art" and it was all cool...

Now you will immediately be insulted as a "cock sucker" if you do...

Quote from: chefist on January 15, 2016, 06:31:31 PM
I'm on your side, brother! How sad he can turn allies into opponents so quickly...

ProTip: Sometimes you need to spit a few times... just to get that 'taste' out of your mouth ;)

BellBoy

The Karmic Wheel...

GravitySucks

Quote from: BellBoy on January 16, 2016, 07:34:04 PM
The Karmic Wheel...

Hey Wanker. Where you been hiding?

BellBoy

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 16, 2016, 07:34:53 PM
Hey Wanker. Where you been hiding?

Been otherwise occupied... life happens. Just catching up now. What a cluster-fuck, here (as-per-usual) ;)

Danger!UFO

Terrible things were said about Art and his family. I can't blame him at all. Too bad some people are going to have to lawyer up. I'll continue to support Heather and RCH. Still hoping Art returns even on a limited basis.

Go Heather, go!

GravitySucks

Quote from: BellBoy on January 16, 2016, 07:38:55 PM
Been otherwise occupied... life happens. Just catching up now. What a cluster-fuck, here (as-per-usual) ;)

Well you left ShreddedBastard and ForkShine Pod to act as chaperones. What do you expect to happen when a mob of illegal immigrants show up with automatic weapons? 

You should have left that Scottish fella. A couple of blast of his bagpipes could have cleared out the riff raff.

Quote from: Faustina on January 16, 2016, 05:01:07 PM
I don't think so.  Not at all, in fact.  I think the forum became a gathering place for (mostly) like-minded souls.  The type of late-night people drawn to Art Bell and his show, the kind of topics the show covered,  have many other things in common, too.  Plus, it's always been a good place to come for a laugh or two.  There are some smart, witty people on this board.  It's only lately that it;s been depressing, for the obvious reason, and I highly suspect this too shall pass and the GNS thread will have new life breathed into it.

Well said, Skeleton Kitty! For the most part, this is a fun forum with a lot of great people. I've made some new friends here, and I've learned a lot of interesting things about a variety of subjects. Whatever Art does won't affect that part of it in the least.