• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The BellGab Classic Movie Playhouse

Started by GravitySucks, June 11, 2016, 05:28:45 PM

Quote from: TigerLily on June 14, 2016, 07:02:39 PM
Nice pick, IO. A deep cut from Bogies repertoire. I've only seen it a couple of times and don't remember it that well. I will have to keep an eye out for. Turned on the tv a minute ago and Treasure of Sierra Madre is on TCM.  Resisting the temptation to dive into it.

I'm saving your video for a late night listen. Thank you for posting

I think that may well be my favorite Bogie film. Walter Huston is a hoot in it and it is a great study of paranoia.

Quote from: TigerLily on June 13, 2016, 07:31:15 AM
Ursula Andress. The first Bond Girl. But if she couldn't sing or even talk, why was she even ... never mind 

By far the best James Bond was Sean Connery.  Though Daniel Craig is a worthy runner-up

I couldn't agree more.  I liked Roger Moore well enough but he didn't have the grit of Connery or Craig.  Moore played the character more like a deboinair upper-crust Englishman whose side-line was working as a spy.

Oh man, I didn't see this thread until just now... well done GS.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 11, 2016, 08:09:47 PM
Most know Welles for his masterpiece, Citizen Kane. While it's still my favorite, second place has to go to 1958's A Touch of Evil. It's become somewhat of a cult classic over the years and is known not only for being Welles' take on film noir but for it's opening shot, which is one, three and a half minute, continuous crane shot. A lot of the time you can find a lot of these old movies complete on You Tube but I couldn't find this one, unfortunately. I'm not sure why. I would think it would be considered public domain by now but I know Disney has been fucking that all up in the last few years because a bunch of their characters were about to enter the public domain and they weren't having it.  ::)

Oh well. Here's the opening shot, anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg8MqjoFvy4

Since there's such a huge cult following for classic film and people knew about the Youtube loophole, the studios and rights holders starting cracking down majorly which is bullshit. You can buy them for $3 usually off YouTube but there's tons of links online to almost every classic movie out there. PM me if you want a link.

It's hard to argue against Kane being his best film. That is an incredibly flawless film. Touch of Evil is great too, I love the grittiness and it was interesting watching Welles' progress as filmmaker.

Bogart is my favorite actor of all-time. He's one of the most multi-dimensional actors I've ever seen. I LOVE all his old films, especially his earlier Warner Bros. B movies where you could see him putting it together. Those old Warner Bros B movies are some of the grittiest art I've ever seen. A lot of the stuff from that era is way more hardcore than what is out there today.

I tend to fluctuate but my favorite old Bogie film is High Sierra. That is such a powerful surprising film and I believe the one that made him a A-lister right before Casablanca came out. In the film, Bogart portrays a gangster who falls for handicapped girl while getting mixed up with a jezebel before a huge robbery. Deep shit right? The thing I love so much about it is Bogart's ability to portray two sides of a man who on one side is a very dangerous animal and on the other side a sensitive idealist who was caught in a bad life. Ida Lupino is amazing in it too.

It also has the greatest promo pics for a movie I've ever seen. The lighting in these captures my mind.

Be warned friends, this subject brings the ultra nerd out of me. Soon we'll get into James Cagney.  ;D

TigerLily

Quote from: VoteQuimby on June 15, 2016, 10:43:29 AM
Bogart is my favorite actor of all-time. He's one of the most multi-dimensional actors I've ever seen. I LOVE all his old films, especially his earlier Warner Bros. B movies where you could see him putting it together. Those old Warner Bros B movies are some of the grittiest art I've ever seen. A lot of the stuff from that era is way more hardcore than what is out there today. ...
...Be warned friends, this subject brings the ultra nerd out of me. Soon we'll get into James Cagney.  ;D

Not to worry VQ. We can geek out together

High Sierra is a great movie. The complex characters and realistic acting of Bogart and Lupino are hard to match. When Lupino is talking about something to the effect "I'm just like you. I crashed out too", you can't help but root for these two. And the little dog

I don't know for sure but I think Roy "Mad Dog" Earle might be one of the first anti-heroes

The directing, cinematography and screenplay by John Huston are first-rate, of course, too

Netflix for Classic Movies, in case you want to get away from cable.

FilmStruck   http://filmstruck.com/

"Turner Classic Movies and the Criterion Collection Will Form a Streaming Media Supergroup"

Dr. MD MD

Bogart is my favorite actor of all-time. He's one of the most multi-dimensional actors I've ever seen. I LOVE all his old films, especially his earlier Warner Bros. B movies where you could see him putting it together. Those old Warner Bros B movies are some of the grittiest art I've ever seen. A lot of the stuff from that era is way more hardcore than what is out there today.

I tend to fluctuate but my favorite old Bogie film is High Sierra. That is such a powerful surprising film and I believe the one that made him a A-lister right before Casablanca came out. In the film, Bogart portrays a gangster who falls for handicapped girl while getting mixed up with a jezebel before a huge robbery. Deep shit right? The thing I love so much about it is Bogart's ability to portray two sides of a man who on one side is a very dangerous animal and on the other side a sensitive idealist who was caught in a bad life. Ida Lupino is amazing in it too.

Be warned friends, this subject brings the ultra nerd out of me. Soon we'll get into James Cagney.  ;D

Yeah, Bogey was great! Women wanted to do him and men wanted to be him. He had a lot of range as an actor but he was such a unique personality that he often stood above the roles and yet still, somehow managed to convince you of the character he was playing. Trivia tidbit: Apparently, the reason for his characteristic sibilant lisp: ill fitting dentures. I guess either they had trouble fitting him properly or the technology was still in it's infancy and not that great back then.

Anyway, the movies mentioned so far are all great but let's not forget this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGpvO8JabEc

Again, I tried to find the full movie but I guess You Tube has really cracked down on this sort of thing recently. Once again, lawyers fight to take something away from the public and give it back to rich people. The system works!  ::)  :P

TigerLily

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 15, 2016, 04:08:29 PM

"Turner Classic Movies and the Criterion Collection Will Form a Streaming Media Supergroup"

Signed up for notification. Thanks, MFM!

albrecht

Not sure if old enough to qualify but "The Odd Couple" is on TCM right now. And it is a classic. I seriously cannot see how the movie could've been improved, which is a rare thing. The writing, acting, casting and characters so perfect and so darn funny. And can be watched over and over and over.

ItsOver

Excellent.  I love the intros done on TCM.  It helps to set the mood and possibly pick-up some new details.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 15, 2016, 04:59:55 PM
Yeah, Bogey was great! Women wanted to do him and men wanted to be him. He had a lot of range as an actor but he was such a unique personality that he often stood above the roles and yet still, somehow managed to convince you of the character he was playing. Trivia tidbit: Apparently, the reason for his characteristic sibilant lisp: ill fitting dentures. I guess either they had trouble fitting him properly or the technology was still in it's infancy and not that great back then.

Anyway, the movies mentioned so far are all great but let's not forget this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGpvO8JabEc

Again, I tried to find the full movie but I guess You Tube has really cracked down on this sort of thing recently. Once again, lawyers fight to take something away from the public and give it back to rich people. The system works!  ::)  :P

As I said before,  Treasure is my favorite Bogart film for many reasons.  I am absolutely enthralled by his performance and Walter Huston is a hoot.  It is a great study of paranoia and it's nice to see John Huston and Robert Blake in their younger days.  Tim Holt (The Magnificent Ambersons and numerous cowboy flicks) was also excellent in it and Bruce Bennett (Tarzan And The Green Goddess) was affable.

One of my favorite lines is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

Just the excuse I'm looking for to ditch cable.  I'll wait and see how it turns out before I dump the cable completely though I still might keep the local channels and such.  Thanks, MFM.  I just signed up.

Quote from: albrecht on June 15, 2016, 06:25:39 PM
Not sure if old enough to qualify but "The Odd Couple" is on TCM right now. And it is a classic. I seriously cannot see how the movie could've been improved, which is a rare thing. The writing, acting, casting and characters so perfect and so darn funny. And can be watched over and over and over.

I break off the classic movie era when the ratings system went into place though I still elevate the occasional more contemporary film to classic status.  It has to be at least a 4 star film to attain that status, mostly  4.5 and greater.  Raiders Of the Lost Ark and The Exorcist are two that come to mind.  2 modern films that come to mind are The Artist and The Conjuring.

That movie is absolutely fantastic. Jack Lemmon to me is one of the most criminally underrated actors. The guy is absolute music any time he's on the screen. I can watch him in anything.

For me, I would make the case there's different eras but my definition of classic film is anytime before the digital age which to me began in the mid-90s. I know that's not a very good definition. But I want films like Hoffa, Bugsy and the last of the great pre-CGI movies in the conversation.

It also has the greatest promo pics for a movie I've ever seen. The lighting in these captures my mind.

Pre-code films between let's say 1928-1934 are the best.  I start the precode era earlier than most to include the late silent period.  A case can be made to start it even earlier.

Queen of Sheba -1921

Ben Hur -1925

Might have to take these images down at some point but they aren't really that provocative.  I classify them as educational pictures.  Everybody thinks today that they are crossing a line on things that were previously taboo when in fact there is nothing new going on just the sheer amount of it has increased.

ItsOver

Quote from: VoteQuimby on June 15, 2016, 08:34:39 PM
That movie is absolutely fantastic. Jack Lemmon to me is one of the most criminally underrated actors. The guy is absolute music any time he's on the screen. I can watch him in anything...
No doubt there.  I just enjoyed him in "Under the Yum Yum Tree" several days ago.  And Carol Lynley.  Just "wow!"  What a gorgeous lady!

starrmtn001

Quote from: TigerLily on June 13, 2016, 07:31:15 AM
Ursula Andress. The first Bond Girl. But if she couldn't sing or even talk, why was she even ... never mind 

By far the best James Bond was Sean Connery.  Though Daniel Craig is a worthy runner-up
+1 To Infinity!!!

Walter Matthau's Charley Varrick is going to be on TCM later this month.
Features Joe Don Baker playing the heavy to perfection.

Rix Gins

Speaking of Bogart, I saw Key Largo (1948) a week or so ago on TCM and it was great.  The movie has wonderful dialogue and plays like a stage play, despite the fact that there is a hurricane raging outside.  Quite a  claustrophobic atmosphere inside the hotel, but you get relief from this when Bogie goes outside to fire up a big fishing boat.  You can almost smell the sea air.  Of course the biggest draw for me in this movie was Edward G. Robinson playing the heavy.  I don't know what it is but I can't get through a Robinson film without fantasizing that I got to meet the guy and that we became good friends.  lol

https://youtu.be/U95Zk5nBQIM

https://youtu.be/ACTkVM6t_bo

starrmtn001

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on June 11, 2016, 07:44:56 PM
Drive Ins count?   The Gratiot Drive In in Roseville, Michigan has some pretty classic
memories for me.   ::)

Here is one in Culver City, where I grew up.  Saw some cool movies there when I was in high school.

starrmtn001

Quote from: starrmtn001 on June 15, 2016, 09:39:44 PM
Here is one in Culver City, where I grew up.  Saw some cool movies there when I was in high school.
Speaking of high school, MGM Studios is only a few blocks from me old Alma Mater.

starrmtn001

Quote from: starrmtn001 on June 15, 2016, 09:42:19 PM
Speaking of high school, MGM Studios is only a few blocks from me old Alma Mater.
There was a famous "frog" scene, from a very popular movie, filmed in one of the science class rooms of Culver High.  It could have been mine.  Who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaLsQSCK0Jo

albrecht

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 15, 2016, 09:29:08 PM
Walter Matthau's Charley Varrick is going to be on TCM later this month.
Features Joe Don Baker playing the heavy to perfection.
Great movie. Worth watching again. Classics are under dispute time-wise but I've been liking recently revisiting the 70's grittiness of directing in movies and the awesome character actors. The obvious ones but still. Something about the film, direction, the crappiness of the cities, the social changes and bitterness, perversion, etc. Peter Boyle was amazing in "Hard Core" and "Friends of Eddie Coyle."

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 15, 2016, 09:41:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAYCADJHImc

Great movie.  I have the Blu ray of it.  Also have Friedkin's Sorcerer with Roy Scheider which was another adaptation of the same book Wages was based on.  It was also very good if a little more downbeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BDbIzovuos

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 15, 2016, 10:03:51 PM
Great movie.  I have the Blu ray of it.  Also have Friedkin's Sorcerer with Roy Scheider which was another adaptation of the same book Wages was based on.  It was also very good if a little more downbeat.

Honestly I like "Sorcerer" better. Again, I'm into watching the 70's gritty, almost nihilist stuff recently. (Or old b&w free 30's murder/mysteries from Britain and here.) Roy was great and the directing and suspense was awesome. Clenched teeth and cold sweat for most of the movie.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 15, 2016, 10:03:51 PM

Seen it too. Noted for having the first Tangerine Dream soundtrack, I believe. I still like Wages better.  ;)

Quote from: albrecht on June 15, 2016, 10:21:00 PM
Honestly I like "Sorcerer" better. Again, I'm into watching the 70's gritty, almost nihilist stuff recently. (Or old b&w free 30's murder/mysteries from Britain and here.) Roy was great and the directing and suspense was awesome. Clenched teeth and cold sweat for most of the movie.

It's a tie with me.  I like both versions in their own way.  I confess I'm not especially fond of 70's films that have downbeat endings.  It seems like almost every movie made between 1969 and 1975 had to have a downbeat ending.  I don't have a problem with them if it is appropriate but in many cases, it isn't.  I guess the fad started with Bonnie and Clyde and while it is appropriate for that film, it is not as appropriate in others.

TigerLily

Reading the great comments on 70s movies (I've never seen Sorcerer.  Sounds really good), the first movie that popped in my head is Dog Day Afternoon.  An overall great movie; tense, funny, sad with a tour de force performance by Al Pacino. Also has that gritty 70s New York atmosphere that I imagine how it may have really been

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bw1a_O2m48

zeebo

One of my fave classics, The Hustler (1961).  Great cast, story, pacing, heart.  Dark, gritty, unflinching.  They just don't make movies like this anymore.