Started by Pirate King Atomsk, November 24, 2008, 10:10:02 PM

Electric Light Orchestra - Time

Fucking awesome.

EvB

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on November 24, 2008, 10:10:02 PM
Electric Light Orchestra - Time

Re: One of the greatest albums ever.

Fucking awesome.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh . ..  NOW you're talkin'!!

Caruthers612

So Britney's latest album doesn't rank?

M

EvB

Quote from: Mordred478 on November 25, 2008, 07:53:22 AM
      So Britney's latest album doesn't rank?

M

Dunno -- I imagine it's pretty rank.

Caruthers612

Quote from: EvB on November 25, 2008, 07:57:52 AM
Dunno -- I imagine it's pretty rank.

I was wondering who would be the one to seize upon that pun. Congrats. ;-)

M

Don't you DARE taint my awesome experimental prog-rock album thread with the name of the she-devil.

Anyways, I love the song "Yours Truly, 2095" and "Here is the News". Also, especially "Twilight". Ah, what a great sci-fi rock album.

Caruthers612

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on November 26, 2008, 10:53:52 PM
Don't you DARE taint my awesome experimental prog-rock album thread with the name of the she-devil.

Anyways, I love the song "Yours Truly, 2095" and "Here is the News". Also, especially "Twilight". Ah, what a great sci-fi rock album.

If you're into prog rock (even though I hate the term), you and I would get along just fine. As for the she-devil, spawn of a thousand trailer swamps, I guess I can see how mentioning it in the same breath as your favorite prog rock album might upset you; but consider this, if It weren't for it, the way would not have been paved for Miley.

M

Spikegirl

"Is sex with farm animals always wrong?" --Owen Newitt

Mordred, just caught your Vicar of Dibley reference! Good one!

Queen

Genesis The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

King Crimson - Hall Of The Crimson King

Renaissance - Scheherazade And Other Stories

Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy

jus ta mention a few  8)

ya could place almost any Tangerine Dream album here as well.....

ringthane

I'm only responding because of MV -- my all-time favorite band is Rush. May Geddy Lee plague your dreams, MV!

I'm a prog fan myself... not particularly into older Kings Crimson, but I like Adrian Belew-era stuff. Lately, my go to prog band has been Porcupine Tree... think Floyd meets Rush meets Peter Gabriel meets Opeth meets Meshuggah with Beatleesque harmonies and occasionally insane polyrhythms. Pretty Effin' Brilliantâ,,¢.

Marc -- I'm a huge U2 fan. Had the opportunity to shake Bono's hand (I've also had a chance to photograph throughout Death Valley and Zabriskie Point, where the Joshua Tree cover was shot).

awguy

I'd have to agree with Vandeven here, I can't stand Rush. And I'm Canadian too... it seems that everyone up here loves Rush. Geddy Lee's singing is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

ringthane

Quote from: awguy on December 27, 2010, 08:42:48 AM
I'd have to agree with Vandeven here, I can't stand Rush. And I'm Canadian too... it seems that everyone up here loves Rush. Geddy Lee's singing is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

When I take over, y'all are on the first train to the reeducation camps.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: ringthane on December 28, 2010, 02:47:55 AM

Go for it. :)

Quote from: ringthane on December 28, 2010, 02:47:55 AM

Red Sector A!

rush came around to me by the time i was in high school in almost the same way that star trek did. i started out with a strong dislike, an assumed HATE for both star trek and rush, but after exhausting the supply of music and science fiction that was exciting and relevant to me at the time but still fit into the direction I was headed, I turned to shit that made me uncomfortable and started to digest it. I found out that if I sat there for more than 10 minutes, I LOVE star trek TOS and TNG. hemispheres, farewell to kings, 2112, those are all albums that have left a mark on me. I remember teaching basslines from that album to the bassist for queensryche after recording him during one of my first big(ish) engineering sessions.

but these days I mostly stick to stuff like

MV/Liberace!

guild... who are some of the other people you've engineered for?

what a long painful story... let's see... i worked with ronnie james dio, he's the other one most people have heard of... it all stemmed from the band that I was in, which at one point was signed to warner brothers. i did meet my wife at a recording session, so i can't say i fully regret it but i am glad to be out of that industry and to be working in the medicinal cannabis field full time!