• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Steve Warner's Dark City

Started by bateman, October 27, 2013, 03:54:49 PM

Yeah really enjoyed the interview

bateman

Had to do this one kind of last minute, but I managed to get a few of your questions in, and luckily James was ready to go on short notice.

Wish this one had been longer, but with time constraints, we just couldn't do it. I can bang out an hour pretty easily now, but doing 2 takes some more work on my part. So there's that, plus some guests just can't commit to 2+ hours, OR they just don't have the material that'll last that long.

There are so many things about this you couldn't possibly know until you start doing it.

Here's the show, and thanks, as always, for the support. https://soundcloud.com/dark-weekend/james-fox-discusses-his-ufo

ziznak

Quote from: bateman on February 23, 2014, 11:33:25 PM
Had to do this one kind of last minute, but I managed to get a few of your questions in, and luckily James was ready to go on short notice.

Wish this one had been longer, but with time constraints, we just couldn't do it. I can bang out an hour pretty easily now, but doing 2 takes some more work on my part. So there's that, plus some guests just can't commit to 2+ hours, OR they just don't have the material that'll last that long.

There are so many things about this you couldn't possibly know until you start doing it.

Here's the show, and thanks, as always, for the support. https://soundcloud.com/dark-weekend/james-fox-discusses-his-ufo
and it's posted the same night? damn somebody is on top of their shit

Yorkshire pud

Just listened to the podcast. Another excellent show. Looking forward to the revelations with the alleged material evidence. I wasn't sure if that would tie in with the 701 that is pencilled in twelve-eighteen months hence or is that a separate project?

Giving it a listen on soundcloud now, i'm one of your 40 followers on there :P - given the number of listens and the quality of the show you should have a lot more!)

Fox is a great guest, i was trying to think of a 'chasing ufos' related question last night - but couldn't think of anything that wasn't obvious and well, you may have wanted to avoid the subject altogether.;)

wr250

batemans replay from last night is on now

bateman

Quote from: ziznak on February 23, 2014, 11:56:35 PM
and it's posted the same night? damn somebody is on top of their shit

;D

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 24, 2014, 02:18:22 AM
Just listened to the podcast. Another excellent show. Looking forward to the revelations with the alleged material evidence. I wasn't sure if that would tie in with the 701 that is pencilled in twelve-eighteen months hence or is that a separate project?

Good question. If '701' weren't further along, I'd guess it would definitely be included in the film, but since he said 95% is done, I'd say that'd be a separate project. I can email & ask him.

Quote from: Threaten the Hoover on February 24, 2014, 02:48:31 AM
Giving it a listen on soundcloud now, i'm one of your 40 followers on there :P - given the number of listens and the quality of the show you should have a lot more!)

Fox is a great guest, i was trying to think of a 'chasing ufos' related question last night - but couldn't think of anything that wasn't obvious and well, you may have wanted to avoid the subject altogether.;)

There are a lot more iTunes downloads & Stitcher listens than what's displayed on the SoundCloud page. Even Clyde Lewis only has a couple thousand listens on each episode on his SoundCloud.

Oh god, I actually forgot all about that...

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: bateman on February 24, 2014, 02:07:36 PM

Good question. If '701' weren't further along, I'd guess it would definitely be included in the film, but since he said 95% is done, I'd say that'd be a separate project. I can email & ask him.

Thanks Steve, appreciate that.

Incidentally, do you think it went well?

bateman

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 24, 2014, 02:09:53 PM
Thanks Steve, appreciate that.

Incidentally, do you think it went well?

There are always things I like about each one, and things I want to tweak or improve. As far as James goes, he's about the best last minute guest you could ask for. Have a couple of topics ready, and boom, away we go.

Also, for those who wondered what the new intro music is, it's:

http://youtu.be/XxF9IPIjA7A

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: bateman on February 24, 2014, 02:24:22 PM
There are always things I like about each one, and things I want to tweak or improve. As far as James goes, he's about the best last minute guest you could ask for. Have a couple of topics ready, and boom, away we go.

Also, for those who wondered what the new intro music is, it's:

I thought I recognised it; Watched the film the other day on DVD, glad I didn't pay to see it at the cinema..I was disappointed, especially after the fantastic District 9.

bateman

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 24, 2014, 02:28:56 PM
I thought I recognised it; Watched the film the other day on DVD, glad I didn't pay to see it at the cinema..I was disappointed, especially after the fantastic District 9.

Movie was total garbage, but the soundtrack is very cool.

bateman

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 23, 2014, 08:54:04 PM
Great question.  I have long thought a program on UFO hoaxes would make for good radio, like maybe a three hour show with Knapp and a credible guest(s).  Sadly, I don't think we'll ever hear such an offering on C2C or any of the DMRN family of shows.  The problem is, aside from the "Alien Autopsy" film of the mid 90s, how many noted UFO related stories/sightings do an overwhelming number of ufologist agree are hoaxes?  Billy Meier?  Philip Corso? Roswell?  Nope, all have high profile supporters and detractors.  So do many, if not the vast majority, of famous UFO cases.

The Billy Meier photos are hilariously bad. His people have actually been insisting he should win James' $100,000 prize: http://ufodigest.com/article/meier-100-000-proof-0802

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on February 23, 2014, 09:59:50 PM
Fantastic interview, Bateman! Really interesting. James Fox came with a lot of solid information, and your questions were right on the mark. I like this email approach a lot.

Thank yeewww. And yeah, James revealed, I think exclusively, that the Ruwa, Zimbabwe kids continued to have ET experiences.

Quote from: bateman on February 24, 2014, 02:30:58 PM

Movie was total garbage, but the soundtrack is very cool.

it wasn't so bad of a movie... I saw it at the drive-ins during an end of the summer, dusk till dawn, marathon and... well... come to think of it the two movies preceding it were The Mortal Instruments and White House down... and I guess after those two "Classics" Elysium is going to be awesome....   

bateman

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 24, 2014, 02:18:22 AM

From James:

QuoteSame project - analysis will be done within a couple months and be part of the doc-feature

Yeah i think forgetting Chasing UFO's ever happened was in everyone's best interests - Fox was pretty vocal about how much he disliked it, even before/during the series broadcast, clearly worried about how it was going to damage his reputation.  I was surprised because most of the time people will simply play along for the money - like the crew of Finding Bigfoot (same production company iirc)

Quote from: bateman on February 24, 2014, 02:48:43 PM
The Billy Meier photos are hilariously bad. His people have actually been insisting he should win James' $100,000 prize: http://ufodigest.com/article/meier-100-000-proof-0802

his intergalactic spacecraft always seem to be crashing into trees... characters like Billy and his excessively stupid followers really make the whole topic difficult to discuss seriously, I wish they would go away.... Would you ever consider getting someone like Horn on the show?

bateman

Quote from: The Neverender on February 24, 2014, 02:50:12 PM
it wasn't so bad of a movie... I saw it at the drive-ins during an end of the summer, dusk till dawn, marathon and... well... come to think of it the two movies preceding it were The Mortal Instruments and White House down... and I guess after those two "Classics" Elysium is going to be awesome....   

Hmm, in comparison, maybe. But I thought every aspect of Elysium was lazy: it's supposed to be what, 100 years in the future & they're still driving Nissan Skylines? Wearing Bluetooth earpieces? Using laptops? And Jodie Foster's "accent", omg, what in god's name was that.

So there's all that, plus it was just a thinly-veiled propaganda piece advocating open-border policy.

I really enjoyed Oblivion though, finally got a chance to see that the other night.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 24, 2014, 03:31:28 PM
Cheers for asking Steve.  :)

Quote from: Threaten the Hoover on February 24, 2014, 04:46:25 PM
Yeah i think forgetting Chasing UFO's ever happened was in everyone's best interests - Fox was pretty vocal about how much he disliked it, even before/during the series broadcast, clearly worried about how it was going to damage his reputation.  I was surprised because most of the time people will simply play along for the money - like the crew of Finding Bigfoot (same production company iirc)

his intergalactic spacecraft always seem to be crashing into trees... characters like Billy and his excessively stupid followers really make the whole topic difficult to discuss seriously, I wish they would go away.... Would you ever consider getting someone like Horn on the show?

Yeah, I'm inclined to say no, because obvious bullshit artists just serve to muddy the water, and the field is a bit of a swamp to begin with. But if there's some entertainment value there, I guess I'd consider it.

CJJames

Steve-

Thank you for all your hard work. Your efforts are the closest thing to the best of what Art produced that I have ever heard. It really brings a smile to my face. Love the way you challenge the guests when appropriate, too.

Gemstone

Quote from: CJJames on February 24, 2014, 06:11:07 PM
Steve-

Thank you for all your hard work. Your efforts are the closest thing to the best of what Art produced that I have ever heard. It really brings a smile to my face. Love the way you challenge the guests when appropriate, too.

I concur.  I just finished listening to last nights show.  Bravo!

bateman

Quote from: CJJames on February 24, 2014, 06:11:07 PM
Steve-

This is the best compliment I could ever ask for. Thank you. Really glad you're enjoying what I'm doing.

popple

IA with everyone else. I'm just so happy/relieved that Dark Weekend exists and you put so much thought & effort into each show. OFC I'll pass the DW library on to my future children LOL  ;D

I listened to your interview with James Fox at bed time last night. That way I can get the covers up over my head faster lol The subsequent experiences by the kids really got me. Was that a DW exclusive revelation? They said that the initial encounter was pleasant, so I wonder if the experiences after were as well... especially since they only wanted to talk about them off camera. Maybe I missed it, but Fox didn't seem to hint either way if they felt they were good or bad experiences. Perhaps just being respectful of their trust in him.

& Confusing a dog with an alien? We've all been there. Happens every time I put the garbage out. PSHHHHH!  ::)

b_dubb

I thought Elysium was excellent. 

Elysium was dreadful. And I truly enjoyed Blomkamp`s earlier sci-fi work (District 9), but this dog`s heavily laden political pandering was just way over-the -top.

b_dubb

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 25, 2014, 11:10:25 AM
Elysium was dreadful. And I truly enjoyed Blomkamp`s earlier sci-fi work (District 9), but this dog`s heavily laden political pandering was just way over-the -top.
Yeah social justice is for assholes

bateman

Quote from: b_dubb on February 25, 2014, 12:17:38 PM

But do you want to be beaten over the head with it during what should be an enjoyable popcorn flick?

Yorkshire pud

I didn't like the film because apart from the Skyline, I thought the rest of the plot cried out for 'Give me more depth'.. Jodie Foster was dire, and I can imagine she looks back at that as one of her darker moments. I thought the South African accent was too thick from Sharlto Copley, and I chuckled thinking that some might ask their companion "Which part of Europe is he from?".

The Social justice message was a worthy one, and had the 1984 esque overtones. BUT: District 9 was for me one of the most involving, powerful, disgusting, uplifting, heartbreaking, wonderful, disturbing films I think I've ever seen. It might be unfair to compare the two, and Blomkamp set a high bar, that would always be difficult to get level with, let alone surpass. But I honestly waited for Elysium to get on with it and ask me questions like District 9 did.

2c supplied.

bateman

Quote from: popple on February 25, 2014, 01:26:34 AM
IA with everyone else. I'm just so happy/relieved that Dark Weekend exists and you put so much thought & effort into each show. OFC I'll pass the DW library on to my future children LOL  ;D

You'll need to include the Bateman calls to give them the full oeuvre.  ;D

The subsequent experiences by the kids really got me. Was that a DW exclusive revelation?

Pretty sure, yeah.

& Confusing a dog with an alien? We've all been there. Happens every time I put the garbage out. PSHHHHH!  ::)

The General

I like plain justice.  Hold the social.
"Social justice" is to justice what
"military music" is to music.

gbneely

Caught the latest episode today. Another great job and I'm looking forward to 701. Ufology isn't my thing, but you make it as interesting as Art ever did, maybe more so.

wr250

and coming this sunday is 2 (two) hours of dark weekend. friggen sweet. now if we could get bateman sat,sun,mon, and church tues-fri, that would be awesome.