• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Spec Sheet

Started by MV/Liberace!, May 30, 2009, 11:47:14 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Tarbaby on February 24, 2014, 03:10:19 PM
Still down here in the Archives. I've finished all the SpecSheets and Gabcasts. (I've been here since the Gabcasts began so I didn't need the archies for them). But I still have 26 TrainWrecks to go. I listened to one last night where EvB returned after a 6 month hiatus of no MVDRT episodes. Now that I've heard a lot of episodes I would vote that the TrainWreck episodes are the most solid. Lots of thought and effort on the presentation, the topics, the entertainment value, the bumpers, the music, the segues. Sometimes the trainwrecks can get too serious or negative or preachy so, for me, those aren't as fun. But in the long run Michael's impish sense of humor and quick wit delivers entertainment value. I recommend any new arrivals that see this jump into the archives now and then. The one last night, I think 3 years ago, MV reported a monthly download rate of 5,000 or 6,000.
   EvB was very tired, working on her thesis in those days, and wasn't doing proper show prep! :)

actually, in 2011, the spec sheet and train wreck shows received a combined total of 12,000 downloads in one month according to podtrac (who are notoriously conservative in their DL estimates).  we somehow squandered that momentum.  probably our poor ability to keep a consistent schedule didn't help.

MV/Liberace!

The Spec Sheet (a podcast about technology and whatever else) airs live tomorrow (Tuesday) at 8PM Eastern, 5PM Pacific.  Visit UFOShip.com to listen live and/or chat.  Call the show at 573-837-4948.

MV/Liberace!

no show tonight.  to be perfectly honest, i just don't feel like doing it.  i need to unplug.  sorry.

The General

Quote from: MV on February 25, 2014, 03:49:22 PM
no show tonight.  to be perfectly honest, i just don't feel like doing it.  i need to unplug.  sorry.
Have yourself a nice, tall, cold, frosty beer and relax, dude.

jazmunda

Tarbaby

Years ago when I was a Sunday school teacher the kids used to get me down. So what I did to cheer up was have a bottle of cabernet. Then a bongfull of good weed (buds). And then a nice fat line of coke.  Instant mood elevator. Call me old-fashioned.
Cheers, MV!

BobGrau

Quote from: Tarbaby on February 26, 2014, 06:06:50 PM
Years ago when I was a Sunday school teacher the kids used to get me down. So what I did to cheer up was have a bottle of cabernet. Then a bongfull of good weed (buds). And then a nice fat line of coke.  Instant mood elevator. Call me old-fashioned.
Cheers, MV!

Man, I want to join your church.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: BobGrau on February 26, 2014, 07:44:52 PM

No kidding. I think I could "believe".

wr250

Quote from: BobGrau on February 26, 2014, 07:44:52 PM

dump the booze and loose the blow and id consider being in too.it would need to be willie quality weed as well

Willie Nelson - Toby Keith - Scott Emerick

I was shocked by the news about BIOSHOCK on the Feb 18, '14 Spec Sheet.

MV/Liberace!

And so it begins: My MXL 990 mod...

[attach=1]

MV/Liberace!

PCB component soldering done...

[attach=1]

The General

Quote from: MV on March 02, 2014, 09:52:11 PM

[attach=1]
Nice work.
If MV Enterprises ever goes south,
you could always go work at FoxCon.

area51drone

Quote from: MV on March 02, 2014, 09:52:11 PM

[attach=1]

Of course you show us the TOP of the pcb, when all of us really want to see how good your soldering technique is...

BTW, which capsule did you go with?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: area51drone on March 03, 2014, 03:21:52 AM
Of course you show us the TOP of the pcb, when all of us really want to see how good your soldering technique is...

BTW, which capsule did you go with?

RK-47 capsule.  I'll try and remember to get a shot of the bottom of the PCB tomorrow, but it's installed now, so it won't be the greatest shot in terms of analyzing my joints and/or their quality.  However, all of the voltages ended up where they were supposed to be and the bloody thing worked on the first go with zero buzz or hum, so something must have been done right.  The goddamn thing sounds amazing.  I was just stunned by the signal accuracy resulting from this combination of parts.  It's absolutely not the same microphone any longer.  I still need to add a ring of silicone caulk to the interior of the chassis at the base to reduce resonance inside, and I'll be removing two layers of metallic mesh from inside the grill for the same reason.  The only downside with the mesh removal is decreased protection from wind, but with a proper pop filter, that's not an issue. 

The vocals for the next Saga album will be recorded with this mic, so it made sense to spend the money and go through all of this trouble.  I'm not being flippant in my use of the word "trouble," by the way.  When the parts arrived in the mail, I just looked at the box and sighed, because I knew what I was in for.  It was a pain in the ass to get this done.  It took me several hours to solder the complete PCB, swap out the capsule and the saddle assembly it rests on, mount everything, rewire everything, solder the wires into the PCB, blah blah... it's a bitch, but from pain will come pleasure.  If I did a couple more of these, I think I could increase my assembly speed dramatically.

The new PCB is on the left, original on right.  Quite a difference between the two:
[attach=1]

Edit:
The RK-47 capsule can be seen in this picture from above:

jazmunda

For some reason your posts here make me feel so inadequate. I think I'll just go and whup my kids asses at chess to get some confidence back.

area51drone

I was just kidding MV... but post the pic if you want, it's always fun to see globs of solder bridging traces.

Is this for podcasting or for music recording? Or both?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 03, 2014, 06:53:30 AM
Is this for podcasting or for music recording? Or both?
it's for vocals, both singing and spoken.  it probably would do a fine job of recording instruments, but that's not really what i've had in mind for it.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: jazmunda on March 03, 2014, 05:19:15 AM
For some reason your posts here make me feel so inadequate. I think I'll just go and whup my kids asses at chess to get some confidence back.

the only reason i'm posting this stuff is to compensate for my remarkably small penis.

aldousburbank

Quote from: MV on March 03, 2014, 06:50:02 PM
the only reason i'm posting this stuff is to compensate for my remarkably small penis.
Post often.

The General

Nice work MV... working on PCB's is such a massive pain in the ass.  I hate it. 

Quote from: MV on March 02, 2014, 05:35:57 PM
And so it begins: My MXL 990 mod...
[attach=1]

Great posts MV.

Speaking of - Area51drone, I'm sure I speak for at least a few others present that we'd enjoy seeing some pinball guts phoyos of various machines you're working on. Seems topic worthy to me. Guitars, microphones, pinball machines, etc.... it's all good and I'm excited to be seeing more of it here.

I could be wrong, but seems like years ago, Agent : Orange found out from someone here how to modify something from CCrane. Great stuff.

eddie dean

wow, what a difference between the PCB's. I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison picture of the capsules too.
MV please disassemble it and take pictures if you don't mind. NOW DAMNIT!! ;)

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on March 03, 2014, 06:50:02 PM

You may need to tinker with a bigger microphone then.

area51drone

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 03, 2014, 08:00:34 PM
Speaking of - Area51drone, I'm sure I speak for at least a few others present that we'd enjoy seeing some pinball guts phoyos of various machines you're working on. Seems topic worthy to me. Guitars, microphones, pinball machines, etc.... it's all good and I'm excited to be seeing more of it here.

These are the pics I take.

Burnt coil on my Pitch & Bat score reel.

Using my cell camera to see if the IR emitters on my trough board are working (Williams Indiana Jones).   As you can see, two are out.

Which one is different?  I think this was off my Star Trek TNG machine.   Can you tell what's wrong?

Are you bored yet?  Here's my motorhome.

Not pinball enough for you?

Fine, here's a thrashed game. Can you tell me what it's called?   Here it is after restoration:

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: area51drone on March 03, 2014, 03:21:52 AM

Here's the bottom of the PCB, now installed:
[attach=1]

No, my soldering isn't perfect.  It got the job done, though.

Quote from: eddie dean on March 03, 2014, 10:29:55 PM
I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison picture of the capsules too.

I don't have a photo of the original capsule handy, but it's about half the size of the new capsule and it only captures sound on one side.  The new capsule enables you to speak into just one side, or you can flip a switch on the PCB and enjoy OMNI-MODE!!!  Ooooh sheeeit.  The new capsule can be seen in this photo of the completed assembly:
[attach=2]

Quote from: The General on March 03, 2014, 07:50:24 PM
Nice work MV... working on PCB's is such a massive pain in the ass.  I hate it. 

Thank you, sir.  I've soldered plenty of times in the past, but never a job this big in one sitting, and nothing requiring this degree of precision.  It was rather stressful, because the replacement PCB is not cheap, and neither are the components.  They're all top shelf, audiophile approved components, so in addition to burning the PCB, you have to be very careful not to burn the components.  I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, though.  I'm sure you do a lot more soldering than I do.  Actually, I've owned this nice soldering station for over a year now, and this is the first time I've been able to reeeeeally use it.  I've done a quick job here or there with it, but nothing on this order.