• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Kolchak

There exist at least two people who weren't carry-overs from the original program.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Kolchak on April 16, 2018, 02:18:44 PM

There exist at least two people who weren't carry-overs from the original program.

Isn’t that the same person?

Taco Bell

Boy, is she going to be pissed when she finds out anyone can play the song at any time of day since it's on Youtube.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: weeberwubber on April 16, 2018, 02:12:55 PM
Crappy if true! Anyone hear it?

"I have" the original copy. "I'm in charge" of his funeral. Blech.

Kolchak

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 16, 2018, 02:22:52 PM
Isn’t that the same person?

Make that one senile person. I cropped the screenshot so quickly in order to navigate away from Heather's Facebook I didn't even catch it.

Kolchak

Quote from: Roswells, Art on April 16, 2018, 02:23:18 PM
"I own" the original copy. "I'm in charge" of his funeral. Blech.

Copyright holder is listed as "Love ’Em or Leave ’Em Songs" and "Stonehill Music Company."

There are no results under the ASCAP database for licensing. I also checked the ISWC and found nothing.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Kolchak on April 16, 2018, 02:31:44 PM

Copyright holder is listed as "Love ’Em or Leave ’Em Songs" and "Stonehill Music Company."

There are no results under the ASCAP database for licensing. I also checked the ISWC and found nothing.

You and your frikking facts.

Sean92008

I was under the distinct impression that Crystal Gayle put that on one of her regularly released albums. If so, there is a whole long line of people with their hands on ownership, performance rights, publishing, copyright, and anything else related to the song.

She may have given him permission to use the song without having to pay for the performance on his program but that is even rather rare.

Ultimately, it sounds like five year olds talking about crap. I am waiting to see Heather post the words "neener neener neener..."

Lord Grantham

I believe what these imbeciles are confused about is that Crystal Gale gave Art permission to name his then new show "Midnight in the Desert" after her song.

weeberwubber

Quote from: Lord Grantham on April 16, 2018, 02:39:01 PM
I believe what these imbeciles are confused about is that Crystal Gale gave Art permission to name his then new show "Midnight in the Desert" after her song.

If I remember right  he plays the song early in the replay tonight, but I don't remember if he addresses being given anything.

Sean92008

While he legally didn't have to do that, he was keeping his relationship with Crystal Gayle respectful by asking for that permission. I remember, whether online or on his show, Art Bell relating how he asked her if he could name the program Midnight in the Desert. 

I also recall that somebody, most likely Keith Rowland, misspelled the name Midnight in the Dessert online.  That lasted a few hours, pretty funny.

Kolchak

George is an idiot, but he is not "stealing" anything by playing this song as a tribute to Art. I don't think it's "capitalizing," either. What's the man supposed to do?

The vitriol and dick measuring from team Midnight in the Desert is really miscalculated and bizarre. Plan the funeral service and celebrate the man's life instead of lashing out at police and your arch enemies via Facebook.

I believe book titles and movie titles can't be copyrighted, I would imagine the same goes for radio shows/podcasts

Quote from: Kolchak on April 16, 2018, 02:52:42 PM
George is an idiot, but he is not "stealing" anything by playing this song as a tribute to Art. I don't think it's "capitalizing," either. What's the man supposed to do?

The vitriol and dick measuring from team Midnight in the Desert is really miscalculated and bizarre. Plan the funeral service and celebrate the man's life instead of lashing out at police and your arch enemies via Facebook.

I agree.  Enough time has passed since Art's passing for Heather to start showing some class.

Quote from: weeberwubber on April 16, 2018, 02:12:55 PM
Crappy if true! Anyone hear it?

Knapp had it played and he had every right to play it just as Art had the right to play Dancing Queen anytime he wanted. Per ASCAP, BMI permission that is. It was a nod to Art and to get upset about it is warped.

Sean92008

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 16, 2018, 02:54:46 PM
I agree.  Enough time has passed since Art's passing for Heather to start showing some class.

She's had over two years to show us she has any class...

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 16, 2018, 02:55:13 PM
Knapp had it played and he had every right to play it just as Art had the right to play Dancing Queen anytime he wanted.  It was a nod to Art and to get upset about it is warped.

Agreed Knapp and Bell had a good working relationship. There are shows with Knapp as Arts guest, Art said he thought Knapp was a good host etc. it was played as a tribute, like they need to stop thinking they have the rights to his memory. Knapp is a good person and was trying to do a good deed.

ItsTelly

Agreed.

Folks are playing Art's music to HONOR Art's memory and as a TRIBUTE to him.  Really, I understand people grieve in different ways but lashing out at everyone and everything for days now is strange. 

Telly

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Kolchak on April 16, 2018, 02:52:42 PM

Yeah, I thought Noory's announcement of Arts passing was done well. He waited to make sure it was true then when he announced it he showed what I think was real emotion. I think Wade just wanted to be the first to do it though she cancelled her show due to a "personal matter", because a radio legend passing away is a personal matter, you know.

Sean92008

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 16, 2018, 02:55:13 PM
Knapp had it played and he had every right to play it just as Art had the right to play Dancing Queen anytime he wanted.  It was a nod to Art and to get upset about it is warped. Per ASCAP, BMI permission that is.

One thing that there is no right to play outside of its native show would be that piece of crap tribute that Noory did.  Since that would qualify as a parody, the original songwriter or its agents would have to give permission. Weird Al Yankovic has had issues with the original song writers in the past.  He has had to kill ideas and even scrap recordings because he couldn't secure permission.

By the way, George said he wrote that tribute... Uh, really?  I don't think taking somebody else's music and melody is "writing."

ItsTelly

I think Wade just wanted to be the first to do it though she cancelled her show due to a "personal matter", because a radio legend passing away is a personal matter, you know.

Fair point.  While it may have been emotionally difficult, Wade could have done her show that night and then been the first one to broadcast the news: beating C2C and perhaps Nye County (when exactly did Nye County announce?).  She could have then shaped the event to her liking.

It could have been a sad yet wonderful night remembering Art with Heather and Keith and folks calling in to share their memories....instead they keep spewing vitriol...

Telly

Morgus

I heard George Knapp play the Midnight in the Desert song as well as other Art Bell bumper music favorites last night, it was his way of giving tribute to Art.
Knapp did mention on air he didn't know the entire history of the Crystal Gayle song and Art Bell.

But I recall Crystal visited with Art at his home in person at that time, around 2001:

Roswells, Art

Quote from: ItsTelly on April 16, 2018, 03:05:04 PM
I think Wade just wanted to be the first to do it though she cancelled her show due to a "personal matter", because a radio legend passing away is a personal matter, you know.

Fair point.  While it may have been emotionally difficult, Wade could have done her show that night and then been the first one to broadcast the news: beating C2C and perhaps Nye County (when exactly did Nye County announce?).  She could have then shaped the event to her liking

Telly

I don't blame her for not wanting to do her show that night. I sure couldn't have. Blaming other people that were on the air and got the news and reporting it is just weird though.

also, just click the 'quote' button on the top right of the message so you don't have to copy and paste.

Asuka Langley

Quote from: ItsTelly on April 16, 2018, 03:05:04 PM

While it may have been emotionally difficult, Wade could have done her show that night and then been the first one to broadcast the news: beating C2C and perhaps Nye County (when exactly did Nye County announce?).  She could have then shaped the event to her liking.

It could have been a sad yet wonderful night remembering Art with Heather and Keith and folks calling in to share their memories....

So no one would have known besides that one guy that posts in the MITD thread and a few cat lady's? LOL!

I think Wade and Keith were trying to reanimate Art in the back yard with spells and fire dances so they didn't have to find new jobs.

ShayP

Quote from: Morgus on April 16, 2018, 03:06:07 PM
I heard George Knapp play the Midnight in the Desert song as well as other Art Bell bumper music favorites last night, it was his way of giving tribute to Art.
Knapp did mention on air he didn't know the entire history of the Crystal Gayle song and Art Bell.

But I recall Crystal visited with Art at his home in person at that time, around 2001.

Not sure when, but I remember Art had her on as a guest and she talked about the song, etc.  Maybe it was around the time you mentioned.  I'm surprised Knapp didn't know the history.

Sean92008

Quote from: Morgus on April 16, 2018, 03:06:07 PM

But I recall Crystal visited with Art at his home in person at that time, around 2001:

I remember that picture with her from ArtBell.com.  He was a sucker for Asians,  long hair and linguistically-challenged phone sex operators.

Well, we know one of them didn't play any part in his death...

weeberwubber

Quote from: Roswells, Art on April 16, 2018, 03:08:42 PM
I don't blame her for not wanting to do her show that night. I sure couldn't have. Blaming other people that were on the air and got the news and reporting it is just weird though.

also, just click the 'quote' button on the top right of the message so you don't have to copy and paste.

Did Art take any days off, much less a week, when Ramona passed? I thought he got right back on the horse.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: weeberwubber on April 16, 2018, 03:19:50 PM
Did Art take any days off, much less a week, when Ramona passed? I thought he got right back on the horse.

Broadcasting is in his blood, not hers.

Really though, some people do need to do the same thing they had been doing every day prior to a tragedy.