• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random Political Thoughts

Started by MV/Liberace!, February 08, 2012, 10:50:42 AM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Swishypants on January 08, 2018, 12:56:21 PM
They generally didn't have to kill anyone, but everyone tried to kill them. It's a double-victory that way. Hero all the way around! What's a little danger ekse? ;)

Having no guns made sure of that..They were stripped of anything that would slow them down.

Swishypants

Quote from: Juan on January 08, 2018, 01:06:27 PM
My father, a WWII gunner aboard a B-24, got tears when the last spitfire was retired. What’s the purpose of the counter rotating props? Something similar to the opposite rotating Allison’s put in the P-38s later in the war?

It negates the prop-wash effect over the airplane and gives it a minor speed boost. They are a bitch to work on though.

Swishypants

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 08, 2018, 01:12:31 PM
Having no guns made sure of that..They were stripped of anything that would slow them down.

Not all of them. Some were armed.

Swishypants

Seriously, go watch THE LAST POST on Amazon. Set during the Aden Crisis. C Squadron was there. It's incredibly well done and not preachy. It also explains why Mad Mike did what he did. He was the good guy afterall! The first TV show or film on that era that vindicates the Colonialists instead of doing the standard Commie treatment to them. The worm has turned Pud! The 60's are truly over!

Yorkshire pud

My father, a WWII gunner aboard a B-24, got tears when the last spitfire was retired. What’s the purpose of the counter rotating props? Something similar to the opposite rotating Allison’s put in the P-38s later in the war?

Google is your friend,,,

Interestingly, the "prototye" P-38, the XP-38, had inwardly-rotating engines (before it crashed). However, all subsequent P-38's (including the first batch of YP-38's) had outwardly rotating propellers; Warren M. Bodie, in his book The Lockheed P-38 Lightning: The Definitive Story Of Lockheed's P-38 Fighter, states that, "Engine rotation was changed so that the propellers rotated outboard (at the top), thereby eliminating or at least reducing the downwash onto the wing centersection/fuselage juncture. There was, by then, no doubt that the disturbed airflow, trapped between the two booms, was having an adverse effect on the horizontal stabilizer. No problem was encountered in reversing propeller rotation direction; they merely had to interchange the left and right engines."

I'll see if I can explain this well enough to be understood. I'm sure FBJ'll probably be able to make it clearer.

Simply stated, the outward rotating props help to mitigate the effects of torque and p-factor during an engine-out.

A normally rotating prop, counterclockwise as viewed from behind it, generates torque and p-factor effects that want to pull the aircraft to the left, thus the need for right rudder on a single-engine aircraft during takeoff and other low-speed, high power situations. Think of the P-51's torque rolls when low and slow with a lot of power on.

A counter-rotating prop, i.e. clockwise rotation as viewed from behind, is just the opposite as far as torque and p-factor. Thus in a homebuilt with a Rotax engine with a PSRU, you need LEFT rudder during a takeoff because the prop rotates opposite to the norm.

On a twin with an engine out the remaining engine will try to yaw the aircraft into the dead engine. Think of a P-38 with a right engine out. The left engine, rotating normally, will be powered up creating a right yaw (into the dead engine) due to the offset thrust line. But the torque and p-factor will create a left yaw effect partially countering the yaw from the unbalanced power.

By making the right engine rotate the opposite, when the left engine is out and power is up on the right engine, which creates a left yaw into the dead left engine, the torque and p-factor creates a right yaw to partially offset the power difference. If the right engine rotated normally, the torque and p-factor would make the left yaw tendency even worse.

There was a civilian twin, a Piper I think (maybe the Seminole) that had a counter-rotating right engine for just this reason.

It's kinda the same as the aircraft with two props on the same shaft or the helos that had two coaxial main rotors that rotate counter to each other. It's a torque mitigation thing.

I hope that was understandable. If not I'll try again or let FBJ sort out my mess.

Swishypants

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 08, 2018, 01:19:00 PM
Google is your friend,,,

He was asking a simple and quick question. Stop being a prick for 5 minutes.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Swishypants on January 08, 2018, 01:22:44 PM

Knowledge is power...He's a better person now.

Gd5150

P-38s were always my favorite airplane of WW2. Perhaps the counter rotating props did so to fight the tork produced. I remember reading a story about one of its first flights, and the plane was so fast the pilot couldn’t slow it down enough to land it.

QuoteA Legend in Its Own Time
As a World War II fighter, the Lightning’s legacy is unmatched. A total of more than 10,000 P-38sâ€"including 18 distinct modelsâ€"were manufactured during the war, flying more than 130,000 missions in theaters around the world. P-38 pilots shot down more than Japanese aircraft than any other fighter and, as a reconnaissance aircraft, obtained 90 percent of the aerial film captured over Europe.
Perhaps Colonel Ben Kelsey, a P-38 test pilot, summed up the war bird’s legacy best of all. “(That) comfortable old cluck,” he said, “would fly like hell, fight like a wasp upstairs, and land like a butterfly.”

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/100years/stories/p-38.html

Swishypants

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 08, 2018, 01:24:14 PM
Knowledge is power...He's a better person now.

You're an asshole! Now you're RICH BITCH!  ;D

Swishypants

You notice MD's all depressed now and doesn't post as much? I broke him.  ;D

https://youtu.be/bGLk8BZ4Wqk

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Swishypants on January 08, 2018, 01:35:42 PM
You're an asshole! Now you're RICH BITCH!  ;D

You did hate on me!! Deliberately! I'm withholding the cookie and bonsai tree.

Swishypants

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 08, 2018, 01:45:32 PM
You did hate on me!! Deliberately! I'm withholding the cookie and bonsai tree.

DUH! That's what the fuck I do! I already got a house made out of cookies dawg!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Swishypants on January 08, 2018, 01:37:04 PM
You notice MD's all depressed now and doesn't post as much? I broke him.  ;D

He'll be back just as soon as the hippy and Alex Jones have new videos. Count on it Luke.

Swishypants

Quote from: Jackstar on January 08, 2018, 01:45:12 PM
Guess again. Come on, Tiger.

I dunno dude. What? Is this really important?

Swishypants

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 08, 2018, 01:46:52 PM
He'll be back just as soon as the hippy and Alex Jones have new videos. Count on it Luke.

BANG-ON!  :D

Juan

Quote from: Swishypants on January 08, 2018, 01:22:44 PM
It’s OK. Yorkie sometimes favors himself the progeny of Montgomery.

Taaroa

They counter torque and normally mean there isn't a critical engine (an engine which if it failed causes the worst effects to handling).

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Juan on January 08, 2018, 04:53:02 PM

Fuck you then. You can find out yourself next time.

Swishypants

Quote from: Juan on January 08, 2018, 04:53:02 PM

You're my favorite Blexican with a gun!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 08, 2018, 05:45:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHc_7f3mamY

The cold springs how many? LOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL......I nearly forgot...It's his performance art..

Swishypants

I finished the wings for the Spit. Modeling at the speed of molasses!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 08, 2018, 05:26:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qvs0mMhEks

Jones must have been up all night drying to find stuff he could show his basement dwelling fans. It'll be hilarious if Oprah doesn't decide to run and he posts all these videos for nothing...He's not worried though that Trump will have a contender who will make him lay down and hammer his little fists into the ground, oh no...absolutely not.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Swishypants on January 08, 2018, 07:03:17 PM
I finished the wings for the Spit. Modeling at the speed of molasses!

Is it going to be as the box or are you converting it?

Swishypants

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 08, 2018, 07:09:37 PM

Is it going to be as the box or are you converting it?

I was originally thinking about kit-bashing it, but then I stopped myself and thought: "Why? This is supposed to be relaxing. Nobody is ever going to see it. Take the easy way out." And so I did. And life is good! I have to constantly remind myself that I don't exist to do a "good job" anymore. I just have to do whatever the fuck pleases me. I have no debts of any kind and owe nothing to anyone. I am master of my domain.

Actually, others owe me! Pud come over and build this for me!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Swishypants on January 08, 2018, 07:36:03 PM
I was originally thinking about kit-bashing it, but then I stopped myself and thought: "Why? This is supposed to be relaxing. Nobody is ever going to see it. Take the easy way out." And so I did. And life is good! I have to constantly remind myself that I don't exist to do a "good job" anymore. I just have to do whatever the fuck pleases me. I have no debts of any kind and owe nothing to anyone. I am master of my domain.

A simple yes would have sufficed.