• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: brig on December 17, 2015, 09:51:25 AM
You know what Art? I have some thoughts on where some of the frustration might be coming from on the part of some of your most ardent fans.  Nobody has said this yet that I know of, but you are truly blessed, and deserve to be, that you are in a position financially, and at a time in your life physically, that you can afford to make the decision that you did.  Maybe there's a little voice in the back of some of our heads thinking, gee, If I got beat up in a robbery today, I would still have to go to work tomorrow.  Probably a vast majority of people are not in a financial position where they would have the option to make the choice that you did, simply BECAUSE they have a wife and kids to take care of.

The other thought I had, is that many of the fans took time out of their lives to support a big push for this show, because they were emotionally invested in your success, some having been listeners for a very long time.

Take this for what it's worth to you Art. If it only adds to your frustration and confusion, then forget you ever read it.  If it makes you say to yourself, Hey, I am content now with my family......or HEY, I miss my radio life and want to get back to it.......then by all means GO FOR IT !!

Morning brig!

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 17, 2015, 09:44:04 AM
I recall that. He did say that any stations signing up were doing so because they wanted, and he wasn't changing a damn thing for them.  BUT he was excited to get ABC on board, as he said it was huge, and they'd been there back in the day.  So for me personally, I think losing them sucks. The rest was gravy, I guess.

Thanks, BnW.  If I've jumped to a different time line, at least I know a few others have jumped with me.

;)

(TWIMC & FWIW & WTF just happened?, I'm not anti-OTA, but am curious when it seemed to become the goal.  For example, when Leo quit and talked some stations into dropping the feed, I didn't think it was a big deal, since radio stations were not the stated ultimate goal.)

slippingaway

Quote from: Art Bell on December 17, 2015, 02:00:45 AM
The key words are I don't know. I don't know if the stalker was just trying to scare me or really hurt me, I don't know if the stalker would have moved to hurt me or my Family if scaring me failed to achieve whatever the goal was/is. I don't know if the threat is still there or leaving the air was the goal. I don't know if the Stalker will ever be caught (maybe if he brags to somebody) I don't know if it's over or if I ever will know unless he is stupid enough to come back again. I don't know who is in every car that drives up. (Many do just to stop out front and take pictures). That's a lot to not know and sleep well which I am not.

People who are not facing it say you have to have balls and not let the Terrorist's win until it's them or their Family's. However you might note that almost all the Hostage's Family's try and raise the money to get their loved ones back despite the Gov't policy of not dealing with them.

This stalker seemed to clearly be escalating his actions, I don't know what would or will come next. So much not to know.

Art
It is so sad that this guy could not let you live your life in peace. I am curiious if you regret being so public and having your identity and location well known. I have heard people complaining online that Heather refuses to share a picture, but considering everything you've been through over the years, I think it is definitely in her best interests to keep her identity and location a bit of a mystery. Just knowing the city and name is enough to return a lot of information on Google

bellNwhistle

The key words are I don't know. I don't know if the stalker was just trying to scare me or really hurt me, I don't know if the stalker would have moved to hurt me or my Family if scaring me failed to achieve whatever the goal was/is. I don't know if the threat is still there or leaving the air was the goal. I don't know if the Stalker will ever be caught (maybe if he brags to somebody) I don't know if it's over or if I ever will know unless he is stupid enough to come back again. I don't know who is in every car that drives up. (Many do just to stop out front and take pictures). That's a lot to not know and sleep well which I am not.

People who are not facing it say you have to have balls and not let the Terrorist's win until it's them or their Family's. However you might note that almost all the Hostage's Family's try and raise the money to get their loved ones back despite the Gov't policy of not dealing with them.

This stalker seemed to clearly be escalating his actions, I don't know what would or will come next. So much not to know.

Art

Nobody knows what it's like to be in the situation, until they are. So don't worry about the backseat drivers and Monday morning quarterbacks.   Hope you do eventually find out who this is, and what they're after.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 17, 2015, 10:16:26 AM
Thanks, BnW.  If I've jumped to a different time line, at least I know a few others have jumped with me.

;)

(TWIMC & FWIW & WTF just happened?, I'm not anti-OTA, but am curious when it seemed to become the goal.  For example, when Leo quit and talked some stations into dropping the feed, I didn't think it was a big deal, since radio stations were not the stated ultimate goal.)

Sometimes I think those who yell the loudest, bitch the hardest.. those are the ones who secretly love Art the most. Otherwise, what's the point? LOL

munbeam666

Art
Another crazy person with a gun, unfortunitley.  What an awful situation to be in. My condolences, Art. You shouldn't have to be going through this

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 17, 2015, 09:41:18 AM
Does anyone else other than me (and I think DanTSX agrees with me), on this goddamn fucking board, remember when Bell said the acquisition of OTA terrestrial radio stations was NOT the goal?

Small, free live podcast, to grow organically, subscriber supported. The meta goal being to get onto as many mobile phones as possible.  Any radio stations were a pleasant side effect.

Just curious, since OTA affiliates and what they think or do are referenced so much in this never ending discourse.

I recall that too. Some of us may be too enamoured of the idea of MITD getting enough stations in big markets to the point of challenging Coast and overturning the existing broadcasting paradigm, I include myself in that category. Watching this thing grow from it's beginnings to where it was on the verge of something big was thrilling, much like rooting for a favorite sports team...seeing them build a roster to the point of being able to compete for a title, and in that sense Art was our star player. Apologies to any non-sports fans who may find that analogy off putting. Art and his family's safety are paramount of course and we await his return.

Hello, I'm a little confused.

reading some of Art's posts, and then Listening to redacted's opening on Monday night, is Art possibly coming back, or was that a way to try and slow down the cancelled subs?

Wasn't Art's post something like "Hanging them up for the final time"? If so, that's a pretty strong statement, and hard to understand where the opening in that statement is to come back.

Any info would be appreciated.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Northern Nights on December 17, 2015, 11:06:47 AM
I recall that too. Some of us may be too enamoured of the idea of MITD getting enough stations in big markets to the point of challenging Coast and overturning the existing broadcasting paradigm, I include myself in that category. Watching this thing grow from it's beginnings to where it was on the verge of something big was thrilling, much like rooting for a favorite sports team...seeing them build a roster to the point of being able to compete for a title, and in that sense Art was our star player. Apologies to any non-sports fans who may find that analogy off putting. Art and his family's safety are paramount of course and we await his return.

I'm not a football fan, but my husband is. A Michigan fan at that.. (Need I say more?  :-X ), so I totally get your analogy. 

Taco Bell

Quote from: Crash Folly on December 17, 2015, 11:08:18 AM
Hello, I'm a little confused.

reading some of Art's posts, and then Listening to redacted's opening on Monday night, is Art possibly coming back, or was that a way to try and slow down the cancelled subs?

Wasn't Art's post something like "Hanging them up for the final time"? If so, that's a pretty strong statement, and hard to understand where the opening in that statement is to come back.

Any info would be appreciated.

It may have been said in the

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 17, 2015, 11:10:10 AM
I'm not a football fan, but my husband is. A Michigan fan at that.. (Need I say more?  :-X ), so I totally get your analogy.

I'm a big Toronto Raptors fan, and seeing Art taken away from us was like when Tracy McGrady signed with the Orlando Magic. On the verge of contention, then *poof*   :-[

paladin1991

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 17, 2015, 09:41:18 AM
Does anyone else other than me (and I think DanTSX agrees with me), on this goddamn fucking board, remember when Bell said the acquisition of OTA terrestrial radio stations was NOT the goal?

Small, free live podcast, to grow organically, subscriber supported. The meta goal being to get onto as many mobile phones as possible.  Any radio stations were a pleasant side effect.

Just curious, since OTA affiliates and what they think or do are referenced so much in this never ending discourse.

I remember.  I'm sure plenty of us do.  The fact that OTA came after him and was encouraged by quite a few here, and quite successfully by several, proves the respect that ART still commands.

Yeah, OTA was not a priority.  But look what has grown out of this non-priortiy.  If I remember correctly, ART, now has stations up and down the West coast.  Competing balls to balls with Dave.

*shrug*  I think, and I could be wrong, that some of us still are 20th century mind setting and still see OTA as an important market.  As ART stated early on, I paraphrase here, he was going to step fwd and beyond what is currently avail.  He was going to reach to every possible device through the digital format.  (Apologies to ART if I got this a bit screwy)

Robert

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 17, 2015, 02:48:05 AMYou strike me as an expert on things beaming into your brain. Perhaps you can expand upon your thoughts?
I passed a course in Psychiatry.  Perceiving an imaginary voice as coming from a source outside one's head is classified as a complete auditory hallucination.  Perceiving it as coming from inside one's head is called an incomplete auditory hallucination.  Attributing it to a radio signal, such that it doesn't make a sound until it's received by your head -- not sure whether to classify that as complete or incomplete.

paladin1991

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 17, 2015, 10:16:26 AM

;)

I think that the before the radios go silent and all goes digital, that the OTA is a particularly delicious gravy to what ART was building.  I took great delight in watching the station count go up.  Probably not with the same intent focus that Dave and gang were watching those numbers with.

Leo?  Fuck him and his petty BS.  'Dude, does he even lift?'   

Quote from: paladin1991 on December 17, 2015, 11:22:53 AM
He was going to reach every possible device

Including baby monitors as I recall.  ;D

Robert

Quote from: Coz on December 17, 2015, 09:12:43 AMI'd guess a 100% certainty that the attacker, at minimum, reads this forum. He's probably having a grand time watching Art's fans blow a gasket.

So discussing strategies to catch the bastard is pretty foolish.
While that's a possibility, my hunch is that he's not even aware of the particular radio show, nor of BellGab, but just knows that this guy with the antenna farm on the property was going into this bldg. every weeknight for several hrs., probably beaming something somewhere.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Robert on December 17, 2015, 11:33:34 AM
While that's a possibility, my hunch is that he's not even aware of the particular radio show, nor of BellGab, but just knows that this guy with the antenna farm on the property was going into this bldg. every weeknight for several hrs., probably beaming something somewhere.

Noory is very familiar with BellGab. He has posted here and called into BellGab once. He is aware of "Art's little internet show" as well since he mentioned it on the air.

Don't listen to all the voices in your head. Some of them are wrong.

Robert

Quote from: GravitySucks on December 17, 2015, 11:38:26 AMNoory is very familiar with BellGab. He has posted here and called into BellGab once. He is aware of "Art's little internet show" as well since he mentioned it on the air.
Who's writing about Noory?  I was referring to "the attacker", as you'll see if you go trace the quotes upthread.

DanTSX

Is jazmunda's fault 8)

Philosopher

So, if the shooter keeps shooting, and leaves cryptic messages demanding that Art return to broadcasting, will Art return to broadcasting?

Theodora

Art

I understand trauma Art. My background is in the helping profession. So I recommend you and your family get help with this obvious trauma.

However, I still can't understand why you have left yourself and your family there, in the same place where the stalker may or may not return?  Yet, you felt scared and protective enough to just randomly "quit" the show after so much was invested.  It didn't change or solve the stalker situation.  Moving your family and yourself immediately from the premises if in danger, is how you protect yourself and your family. Quitting the show impulsively and randomly returning to the radio, while you stay in the same place doesn't in anyway make your family safer. In fact, it makes no sense and for that reason, people feel duped.  :-\

Taco Bell

Quote from: Northern Nights on December 17, 2015, 11:31:10 AM
Including baby monitors as I recall.  ;D

Going to be hard talking over all those evps.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Taco Bell on December 17, 2015, 12:23:41 PM
Going to be hard talking over all those evps.

I still won't listen to the shows on shadow people and EVP's.  :(

Go ahead. Call me names.  :'(

Laurakinch

Quote from: Theodora on December 17, 2015, 12:22:15 PM
I understand trauma Art. My background is in the helping profession. So I recommend you and your family get help with this obvious trauma.

However, I still can't understand why you have left yourself and your family there, in the same place where the stalker may or may not return?  Yet, you felt scared and protective enough to just randomly "quit" the show after so much was invested.  It didn't change or solve the stalker situation.  Moving your family and yourself immediately from the premises if in danger, is how you protect yourself and your family. Quitting the show impulsively and randomly returning to the radio, while you stay in the same place doesn't in anyway make your family safer. In fact, it makes no sense and for that reason, people feel duped.  :-\

+1

His reasons for quitting just don't add up. Bateman filled us in on PNI that Art's show was weeks away from being picked up by Cumulus. The DAY PRIOR TO HIS QUITTING THE SHOW, Art spoke with Bateman by phone and asked about the Cumulus deal. A coincidence? More likely Art got cold feet not wanting to be involved with another big network. He wanted to run his own show, be his own boss so he wouldn't have to answer to anyone. I don't blame him for that after all the shit he's gone though with Premier. His podcast was growing more quickly than expected. And although it sounded great in theory, in reality he wasn't ready or willing for what was about to happen. So he decided to bail off the runaway train. The gunshot(s) heard coupled with a crank call gave him a plausible out.

The only reason I'm not canceling my sub is to support Heather. She gave up a job to work for Art and deserves to be compensated. I hope Art gives her some sort of severance package when MITD folds.

trostol

i think everyone needs to just step back, put anger, butt hurt feelings, or i told you so's aside and let the man live his life and deal with the problem...stoping giving advice..stop saying they will come out and due security or form a posse..or shot the stalker(which i find really disturbing)..just stop all the speculating and taking one side or the other and just be the quiet support for him

bellNwhistle

Quote from: trostol on December 17, 2015, 01:20:34 PM
i think everyone needs to just step back, put anger, butt hurt feelings, or i told you so's aside and let the man live his life and deal with the problem...stoping giving advice..stop saying they will come out and due security or form a posse..or shot the stalker(which i find really disturbing)..just stop all the speculating and taking one side or the other and just be the quiet support for him
yes

BellBoy

Quote from: trostol on December 17, 2015, 01:20:34 PM

Do you internet much? If you have, for even a moment, you know that's never going to happen.

trostol

Quote from: BellBoy on December 17, 2015, 01:33:35 PM
Do you internet much? If you have, for even a moment, you know that's never going to happen.

i know..but its worth a shot lol