• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Art Bell on December 17, 2015, 02:00:45 AM
The key words are I don't know. I don't know if the stalker was just trying to scare me or really hurt me, I don't know if the stalker would have moved to hurt me or my Family if scaring me failed to achieve whatever the goal was/is. I don't know if the threat is still there or leaving the air was the goal. I don't know if the Stalker will ever be caught (maybe if he brags to somebody) I don't know if it's over or if I ever will know unless he is stupid enough to come back again. I don't know who is in every car that drives up. (Many do just to stop out front and take pictures). That's a lot to not know and sleep well which I am not.

People who are not facing it say you have to have balls and not let the Terrorist's win until it's them or their Family's. However you might note that almost all the Hostage's Family's try and raise the money to get their loved ones back despite the Gov't policy of not dealing with them.

This stalker seemed to clearly be escalating his actions, I don't know what would or will come next. So much not to know.

Art

That's just scary as hell Art and I wish you the best. You really should hire a couple of security guards. Don't tell anyone publically that you did it, just get some guys out there in secret to catch the bastard. It's expensive and intrusive, sure, but it's gotta be better than this. Don't sit around worrying if the guy is going to go away or not if you drop off the air, there are better ways to handle this. If you want to go on the cheap, put a boatload of trail cameras around like the bigfoot people do. There's got to be a way where you can trick this asshole and give the cops something to go on.

paladin1991

Quote from: phrodo on December 17, 2015, 03:01:59 AM
It's not been any secret that basically from the beginning of syndicated radio programs -- most all shows are free to carry on what's called a "barter basis". There are a few exclusivity-per-market stipulations but that's about it. The benefit for the Art-ist is that the more stations that carry their product -- the more they get to charge for their commercials that don't/can't get covered up by the local stations' spot availabilities. The benefit for the local station is that if the Art-ist's show is popular enough (ratings) they get to charge more for spots than they could otherwise if they carried a less popular show (Dave).

Didn't mean to piss you off.

You didn't piss me off.  I love you, bro.  Drink the last of the Scotch or use too much ice when making the Martini pitcher....then I'll be pissed.  How things work in radio land?  Secret or not, I dunno anything about it.  Other than listening, I'm  a radio virgin.   

And I like what you did.  (Bolded)

Robert

Quote from: Showroom Dummy on December 17, 2015, 02:13:37 AMwow   i still say to you   i feel you HAVE an important voice in this world. and this world NEEDS your voice ..   I have been doing a radio show on WBAI in NYC for 25 years  would love to have you on this Monday night  my show is midnight to 3 am      would love  just to do GREAT radio with you    no prep  we just go  i feel you I'm with you  - you make a difference   that being said  theres always a way   you have said this many times ...
Jim Freund?

ge30542

Quote from: Shalom! on December 17, 2015, 02:37:45 AM

Art Bell Scarecrow against intruders, islamic Jihadis, thin men, and shadow people

it could work
This is now my desktop wallpaper, thanks.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: phrodo on December 16, 2015, 11:01:54 PM
I fully understand too. Asia is/was likely scared beyond shitless -- I would have been at her age given the circumstances. 
But I also know you should never give in to terrorists because they win if you do. And we lose.

Is it better to propagate living in fear or catching the bastard and Art gets to return to the air?

I know they were reacting to a frightening situation, and don't blame them one bit for that..  then again, how many times you do imagine that they had to endure this type of thing?  Not once before now, to my knowledge (though I haven't heard Art live in years before MITD), was his life threatened like this, or were people showing up at his house (since being married to Airyn).  He was in the Philippines for so long, and I doubt that was happening there. So really, they're kind of newbies when it comes to Art being a shooting target for nut jobs.. 

So while I won't say they overreacted, I think they were strongly reacting. Art had to take it seriously- more so than he might have if it was just him on the compound.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: paladin1991 on December 17, 2015, 01:20:31 AM
No.  You can't take words back.  But you can explain or clarify your position.  "I will say I reacted emotionally..."  Sounds to me like you did explain or clarify.  So these assholes who gleefully run around BellGab talking shit and quit drama won't accept it.  Fuck 'em.  To me, that means that your situation could change for the better and should it change, that you could return..  Great.  Let's hope it's sooner than later.  Broadcast when you feel it's 'safe' or the threat factor has lessened to an acceptable degree.  Pick up more days as you feel comfortable with.  I'm paying to hear you.
The question I have is, 'What about your radio affiliates?'  Are they pretty much fucked?  That's a lot of listeners that just got gaffed off.

+1

onan

All I can say is, random events that are menacing, whatever the reason, can be quite traumatic. About 24 years ago I lived outside of Pittsburgh, and someone set a cross on fire on my neighbors lawn. I didn't sleep well for weeks. I can't imagine how my neighbor coped.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: onan on December 17, 2015, 06:38:35 AM
All I can say is, random events that are menacing, whatever the reason, can be quite traumatic. About 24 years ago I lived outside of Pittsburgh, and someone set a cross on fire on my neighbors lawn. I didn't sleep well for weeks. I can't imagine how my neighbor coped.

When I was little, the guy next door's car was on fire. This was the middle of the night. I woke up to the reflection of the flames (which were literally only a few yards away from my room) all over my wall. It was terrifying. I recall the fire trucks on my street.  I had nightmares for years about fire.

Freyja

Quote from: phrodo on December 16, 2015, 09:44:30 PM
Then just go away and quit polluting this Art Bell FAN forum with your negativity. Bitch. Please. And good riddance. Bitch.

Hmmm  ::).....is someone off their meds? Caution...drinking too much kool-aid isn't good for you! ;) ;)

stargazr1976

Site dont like me. I dont like them. I have worked security tho and in my current job i can take a year and one day off without losing it with a proper leave of absence. I have worked security. I volunteer to shoot the son of a bitch myself as long as my basic bills still get paid. I have a family. Its really not that hard if you grew up as a hunter. 8)

BellBoy

Quote from: Freyja on December 17, 2015, 07:41:38 AM
H   mmm   :) :) .....is someone off their meds? Caution... drinking too much kool-aid is n't good for you!  :) :)

FIFY  ;)

mmmm... Kool-Aid

You da man, Art!

Heather is the best second best broadcaster, ever!

Hautex

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 16, 2015, 08:43:31 PM
I would love for him to do the prediction show. :)

Danger! Love your avatar! Great movie  ;D
Would have been great if a bonafide psychic would have stepped out of the shadows before the attacks at Art's started.... just sayin'  ;D

ItsOver

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 17, 2015, 03:05:38 AM
That's just scary as hell Art and I wish you the best. You really should hire a couple of security guards. Don't tell anyone publically that you did it, just get some guys out there in secret to catch the bastard. It's expensive and intrusive, sure, but it's gotta be better than this. Don't sit around worrying if the guy is going to go away or not if you drop off the air, there are better ways to handle this. If you want to go on the cheap, put a boatload of trail cameras around like the bigfoot people do. There's got to be a way where you can trick this asshole and give the cops something to go on.
Yes.  The worst thing to do is set around and worry.  Take positive action.  Guards, increased security, working with the local LEO to set-up a sting or something.  Crap, call the FBI.  You're freaking Art Bell.  Time to drop that name.  It's you and your family you're talking about.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Hautex on December 17, 2015, 08:23:23 AM
Would have been great if a bonafide psychic would have stepped out of the shadows before the attacks at Art's started.... just sayin'  ;D

Maybe this year's show will feature a psychic with the date and time of Art's return. ;)

Well Art Bell

I am very sad for the dilemma you are in and I wish you the very best.  I am going to miss you very much, again.  There are only a couple of good hosts out there out of ALL THE ONES TRYING, that I personally can stomach.  Yes stomach.  Some are so bad they upset me biologically and I have to tune out.  With that said and with my reading you are a bellgabber... I am not sir... I thought I might be heard by writing this. 

What I must say is being done with a conscious that will not allow me to stay silent.  In a way it could be construed that it is happening again only this time we know right up front that YOU DID PICK THIS REPLACEMENT.  And for that gesture I have been giving it 'a chance'.  Unfortunately, I not only will be unsubscribing to MITD but there is no place on this green earth that I would ever recommend this now queerly bizarre show.

As I do not consider myself a bellgabber, this replacement is nobody special to me.  She is however one of your comrade's own.. who should be supportive, I think.  But for me personally it's a NOORY move and your show which took an enormous amount of blood, sweat a tears to materialize, now sucks!

She's a can't stomach kind of host with off the top of my head a dozen reasons why, but I won't make it anymore painful than I have to.  Simply put you have picked someone who no way in hell belongs on radio.  The idea that she is sitting in your place is just surreal to me.  A nightmare in fact!  I waited a dozen years for your return and I get her??  Well. No Way!  Noory taking your place was an apocalypse and this one you have chosen to end with is simply, the end! 

I am sorry to be blunt but with that part off my chest, I hope the psycopath(s) is/are caught immediately and that you can go back to your normal life very soon.  I was really enjoying hearing you again and in some way I guess I just consider it like a dream.  I honestly never thought I'd see that happen.  So I thank you for the memories.

Quote from: phrodo on December 17, 2015, 02:10:40 AM
Take the family on a working vacation -- or just a vacation. Vail? Cozumel? Hawaii? Take your pick. Just choose somewhere with a broadband connection to Keith so you can do the show.

Art has an apartment in the Phillipines. He used to broadcast from there. Perfect place to take the family until the stalker is caught and continue doing his show.

He wouldn't even have to announce that he was there. Let the stalker think Art is still in Pahrump and come back on the property that would be crawling with law enforcement types. He would be caught and all could return to normal.

Coz

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on December 17, 2015, 09:00:25 AM
Art has an apartment in the Phillipines. He used to broadcast from there. Perfect place to take the family until the stalker is caught and continue doing his show.

He wouldn't even have to announce that he was there. Let the stalker think Art is still in Pahrump and come back on the property that would be crawling with law enforcement types. He would be caught and all could return to normal.

I'd guess a 100% certainty that the attacker, at minimum, reads this forum. He's probably having a grand time watching Art's fans blow a gasket.

So discussing strategies to catch the bastard is pretty foolish.

A. Lee In

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on December 17, 2015, 09:00:25 AM

Exactly - but disruptive to family life!

Quote from: A. Lee In on December 17, 2015, 09:15:50 AM
Exactly - but disruptive to family life!

Define disruptive. They lived there before, and I assume Art must have lived in a really nice part of town. That was one option. Just sayin. We pick and chose what's important to us in life and act accordingly.

Quote from: Coz on December 17, 2015, 09:12:43 AM
I'd guess a 100% certainty that the attacker, at minimum, reads this forum. He's probably having a grand time watching Art's fans blow a gasket.

So is sitting around waiting for him to strike again.

Ciardelo

I hear Jessica has a place purported to be apart from BellGab. A few clean towels, fresh sheets and an ISDN line and we're good to go.

wr250

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on December 17, 2015, 09:24:29 AM
So is sitting around waiting for him to strike again.
but now art has attack dogs with friggen lasers on their heads.

bellNwhistle

The stalker would notice Art packing up and moving, if he's watching at all.

If Art leaves, the nut might break into the studio and start broadcasting, like Anonymous. lol

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 17, 2015, 09:27:08 AM
The stalker would notice Art packing up and moving, if he's watching at all.

If Art leaves, the nut might break into the studio and start broadcasting, like Anonymous. lol

No need to pack. Just get on the plane. I'm sure Art can afford to buy the girls new clothes if they don't already have some at the apartment. Look, you go ahead and believe what you want. I'm just saying that there are some of us who know that there were other options. That's all. I am not one to give into the group think.

Taco Bell

But does he blow this gasket with his pants on or off?

Wishing things were back to the way they were before...

Quote from: paladin1991 on December 17, 2015, 01:20:31 AM
The question I have is, 'What about your radio affiliates?'  Are they pretty much fucked?  That's a lot of listeners that just got gaffed off.

Does anyone else other than me (and I think DanTSX agrees with me), on this goddamn fucking board, remember when Bell said the acquisition of OTA terrestrial radio stations was NOT the goal?

Small, free live podcast, to grow organically, subscriber supported. The meta goal being to get onto as many mobile phones as possible.  Any radio stations were a pleasant side effect.

Just curious, since OTA affiliates and what they think or do are referenced so much in this never ending discourse.

Fear of the unknown can be a bitch. It's exhausting. Dealing with a physical threat on your own is one thing, adding a wife and kids to the mix is another.

I agree with Value Of Pi, regarding; Art, reiterating the point "I don't know." It's humbe, and very human of him.

Reading concise and precise posts from Art is encouraging. At this point, Art, I hope you (and your family) have some peace. Sooner than later.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 17, 2015, 09:41:18 AM
Does anyone else other than me, on this goddamn fucking board, remember when Bell said the acquisition of OTA terrestrial radio stations was NOT the goal?

Small, free live podcast, to grow organically, subscriber supported. The meta goal being to get onto as many mobile phones as possible.  Any radio stations were a pleasant side effect.

Just curious, since OTA affiliates and what they think or do are referenced so much in this never ending discourse.

I recall that. He did say that any stations signing up were doing so because they wanted, and he wasn't changing a damn thing for them.  BUT he was excited to get ABC on board, as he said it was huge, and they'd been there back in the day.  So for me personally, I think losing them sucks. The rest was gravy, I guess.

BellBoy

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 17, 2015, 09:25:07 AM
I hear Jessica has a place purported to be apart from BellGab. A few clean towels, fresh sheets and an ISDN line and we're good to go.

I'm afraid Jessica might scare Asia more than the stalker.

Lilith

Quote from: Art Bell on December 17, 2015, 02:00:45 AM
The key words are I don't know. I don't know if the stalker was just trying to scare me or really hurt me, I don't know if the stalker would have moved to hurt me or my Family if scaring me failed to achieve whatever the goal was/is. I don't know if the threat is still there or leaving the air was the goal. I don't know if the Stalker will ever be caught (maybe if he brags to somebody) I don't know if it's over or if I ever will know unless he is stupid enough to come back again. I don't know who is in every car that drives up. (Many do just to stop out front and take pictures). That's a lot to not know and sleep well which I am not.

People who are not facing it say you have to have balls and not let the Terrorist's win until it's them or their Family's. However you might note that almost all the Hostage's Family's try and raise the money to get their loved ones back despite the Gov't policy of not dealing with them.

This stalker seemed to clearly be escalating his actions, I don't know what would or will come next. So much not to know.

Art

You know what Art? I have some thoughts on where some of the frustration might be coming from on the part of some of your most ardent fans.  Nobody has said this yet that I know of, but you are truly blessed, and deserve to be, that you are in a position financially, and at a time in your life physically, that you can afford to make the decision that you did.  Maybe there's a little voice in the back of some of our heads thinking, gee, If I got beat up in a robbery today, I would still have to go to work tomorrow.  Probably a vast majority of people are not in a financial position where they would have the option to make the choice that you did, simply BECAUSE they have a wife and kids to take care of.

The other thought I had, is that many of the fans took time out of their lives to support a big push for this show, because they were emotionally invested in your success, some having been listeners for a very long time.

Take this for what it's worth to you Art. If it only adds to your frustration and confusion, then forget you ever read it.  If it makes you say to yourself, Hey, I am content now with my family......or HEY, I miss my radio life and want to get back to it.......then by all means GO FOR IT !!