• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

BellBoy

Quote from: Philosopher on December 16, 2015, 10:11:17 AM
Wow you nailed it.

It's shockingly bad. I can't help but check, to see if I've accidentally loaded up NPR.

I keep waiting for Pete Schweddy to show up and start telling us all about his 'Famous Schweddy Balls'.

Philosopher

Quote from: BellBoy on December 16, 2015, 10:20:20 AM
It's shockingly bad. I can't help but check, to see if I've accidentally loaded up NPR.

I keep waiting for Pete Schweddy to show up and start telling us all about his 'Famous Schweddy Balls'.

Maybe NPR will open a paranormal unit and save DMDN.  Queue the granola music... "Welcome to Midnight with Uptalk and Vocal Fry"

paladin1991

Quote from: rekcuf on December 15, 2015, 11:02:24 PM
Serious question for the thread: Am I a troll?

Nah, just a casual fucker.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: BellBoy on December 16, 2015, 10:20:20 AM

Gregory Paxson seems like an interesting fellow, and I think he handled being interviewed by Heather well enough. But some of the things he said to her led me to believe that she was overeager, and should let him get out things in the order of relevance or importance to him.

I don't know how much research Art would do before having on a guest, and I would assume she knows to do that herself.. Maybe she was just going with the flow. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: BellBoy on December 16, 2015, 10:09:06 AM
The 'uptalk' combined with her 'vocal fry' affectation, makes her essentially unlistenable, anywhere outside of NPR or college radio.

This is quite funny. I hadn't heard of it until it was mentioned here.

https://youtu.be/UsE5mysfZsY

Upward 'question' inflection has come across here on a tramp steamer too.  Together with 'like' used as punctuation.. It's also known as AQI...Australian Question Intonation.

Quote from: Philosopher on December 16, 2015, 10:16:18 AM
I would love to see Heather succeed.  But, I have to say that she currently presents herself as someone who needs another 10 years of life experience before she could confidently participate in impromptu conversations and convey deep opinions on matters of substance.  I'm not picking on her.  Everyone has to grow and evolve.

How old is she? Early 30's?

K_Dubb

Quote from: Philosopher on December 16, 2015, 09:55:41 AM
The Uptalk Epidemic
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/caveman-logic/201010/the-uptalk-epidemic

Is it uptalk?  I hear each phoneme dragged downward in pitch and rounded off in an unusual way.

Between her and Amy there's a lot of affect.  Trying very hard not to notice.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 16, 2015, 10:26:03 AM
This is quite funny. I hadn't heard of it until it was mentioned here.

https://youtu.be/UsE5mysfZsY
;D  That was growing up in the 80's in Los Angeles..   it was absolutely awful. Stab-worthy.

Philosopher

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 16, 2015, 10:27:11 AM
Is it uptalk?  I hear each phoneme dragged downward in pitch and rounded off in an unusual way.

Between her and Amy there's a lot of affect.  Trying very hard not to notice.

She falls into periods of uptalk and vocal fry.  I love Amy Martin's emulation of "computer voice".  Maybe we discovered a new and contagious affectation.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Philosopher on December 16, 2015, 10:30:40 AM
She falls into periods of uptalk and vocal fry.  I love Amy Martin's emulation of "computer voice".  Maybe we discovered a new and contagious affectation.

Haha she sounds like Siri running out of breath.  Will listen for the uptalk.  I am west coast so maybe it is just normal in women of that age.

Whoops I meant morpheme.  What I get for posting before coffee.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 16, 2015, 03:20:06 AM
You should see what is in store for you if you ever get the idea in your head that you're allowed to stop posting here.

Yeah, you too!

Philosopher

Quote from: ItsOver on December 16, 2015, 10:38:48 AM
Right up there with Noorytalk.  Fortunately there's only one Dave.

Noory Talk = "a voice box connected to a rectum".  (Pray he doesn't sneeze)

ponyboysunset

Quote from: eddie dean on December 15, 2015, 11:19:10 PM
I have a more perplexing problem:
I can't masterbate anymore unless I know Fort Rock is watching.
Can we please add that to the show topics list for the next PNI? Please :) Love ya Eddie

paladin1991

Quote from: The Coincidence Kid on December 16, 2015, 12:36:23 AM
The second American Revolution will take it out of anyone.
A reference to a 21st Century American Revolution ala the ACP?

Or like this :
https://youtu.be/WkPVGB6uQ0k

ItsOver

I have a hard time being critical of Heather.  She's stepped-up to the bat, with short notice, and under a very difficult situation.  I think even she will tell you she's just trying to keep things afloat in the near-term.  Good luck to her.

Quote from: onan on December 16, 2015, 05:20:23 AM
Serious answer, yes. But everyone of us is a troll to some faction at some time to some other members. It's nice to be liked and all but nothing wrong with stating your mind, even if it doesn't go along with popular consensus. Hell, you and I have disagreed at least once, but I would rather have you share your thoughts than decide your points aren't worth discussing. Within reason, I mean. Goldfinger was a troll without redemption.

Fair point. I "troll" to a degree, like most here. Honestly, I enjoy being contrary as opposed to just going with the flow. But, like you said: keeping it "within reason." I don't mind having disagreements. I enjoy intellectual discourse whenever the opportunity presents. Even if I don't come across that way all of the time.

Loaded

Quote from: ItsOver on December 16, 2015, 10:52:10 AM
I have a hard time being critical of Heather.  She's stepped-up to the bat, with short notice, and under a very difficult situation.  I think even she will tell you she's just trying to keep things afloat in the near-term.  Good luck to her.
Same here.

Kolchak

Heather's done a fine job. She was handed an awful situation and as made the best of it. I cancelled after Keith sent the email, and then asked for a refund with the instructions provided because I was so saddened by the abruptness of it all. If I were confident that the network was going to survive longer than the allotted 30 days, I'm more than open to re-subbing to support Heather.

That said, there are numerous quality podcasts I listen to without having to pay. Most podcasts are free, even when hosted by known celebrities, and I think most people will be hesitant to pony up money for the show until the waters have calmed.

Philosopher

I agree.  She obviously has love for the topics and is familiar with the paranormal road Art plowed open for years.  If she relaxed and had an Irish Coffee before the show she (and we) would have a lot more fun during the show.  The adage is true... "be yourself".

BellBoy

Quote from: Kolchak on December 16, 2015, 11:01:09 AM
Heather's done a fine job. She was handed an awful situation and as made the best of it. I cancelled after Keith sent the email, and then asked for a refund with the instructions provided because I was so saddened by the abruptness of it all. If I were confident that the network was going to survive longer than the allotted 30 days, I'm more than open to re-subbing to support Heather.

That said, there are numerous quality podcasts I listen to without having to pay. Most podcasts are free, even when hosted by known celebrities, and I think most people will be hesitant to pony up money for the show until the waters have calmed.

The only way Heather's show will survive past 30 days, will be if Art gets out the ol' check-book, to support his 'pet project' and cuts a big fat one to Keith at DMDN.

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 16, 2015, 03:20:06 AM
You should see what is in store for you if you ever get the idea in your head that you're allowed to stop posting here.
Torgo's pizza delivery is always an option.
http://youtu.be/__0C1lxp1Q4

Chronaut

Quote from: Philosopher on December 16, 2015, 09:55:41 AM
The Uptalk Epidemic
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/caveman-logic/201010/the-uptalk-epidemic
I see the spread of uptalk as one of the creepier symptoms of a global social engineering program to instill fear in the population to make us evermore servile to our plutocrat overlords.  Psychologists are saying that the constant barrage of traumatic events flowing through the 24hr news cycle impedes higher reasoning, and returns the mind to the open vulnerable state of childhood, compelling people to cling to their authority figures without question.  This is how the Patriot Act and the invasion of Iraq were not only passed, but embraced by a cowering American public, and why most people welcomed the wholesale collection of private information via NSA surveillance programs.  I think it's also why we're willing to accept a level of wealth inequality that exceeds that of Nigeria:  subconsciously we think that giving the powerful more power will actually solve our problems.

I think it's also why so many people embrace the petulant authoritarian style of Trump.  We've become so cowardly and psychologically weak as a population that we're willing to toss all of our higher principles and human morality to the wind, for the pitiful veneer of safety that we think we'll enjoy kneeling in the shadow of a giant Sun-blotting asshole.

Quote from: Chronaut on December 16, 2015, 11:14:25 AM
I see the spread of uptalk as one of the creepier symptoms of a global social engineering program to instill fear in the population to make us evermore servile to our plutocrat overlords.  Psychologists are saying that the constant barrage of traumatic events flowing through the 24hr news cycle impedes higher reasoning, and returns the mind to the open vulnerable state of childhood, compelling people to cling to their authority figures without question.  This is how the Patriot Act and the invasion of Iraq were not only passed, but embraced by a cowering American public, and why most people welcomed the wholesale collection of private information via NSA surveillance programs.  I think it's also why we're willing to accept a level of wealth inequality that exceeds that of Nigeria:  subconsciously we think that giving the powerful more power will actually solve our problems.

I think it's also why so many people embrace the petulant authoritarian style of Trump.  We've become so cowardly and psychologically weak as a population that we're willing to toss all of our higher principles and human morality to the wind, for the pitiful veneer of safety that we think we'll enjoy kneeling in the shadow of a giant Sun-blotting asshole.

*Reported* (moral grandstanding)

Philosopher

Or, the vast majority of US residents are under-educated and willfully ignorant of 90% of reality surrounding them.  Both parties take advantage of this brain drain to blatantly shift more and more power and money to fewer and fewer people and institutions.

K_Dubb

Yeah should probably preface everything said about her with "thank God you stepped up, please don't go away and leave us with Dave" but I think if she-of-the-steel-balls ever came here and saw such slavish devotion she'd faint in astonishment.

She owes this gig in large degree to Art's appraisal of her voice so she's probably not gonna change it.

Philosopher

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 16, 2015, 11:34:18 AM
Yeah should probably preface everything said about her with "thank God you stepped up, please don't go away and leave us with Dave" but I think if she-of-the-steel-balls ever came here and saw such slavish devotion she'd faint in astonishment.

She owes this gig in large degree to Art's appraisal of her voice so she's probably not gonna change it.

I didn't know Art was deaf.

Catsmile

The burning question in my mind after reading that, is...

Can you tie Kevin Bacon into it, using only 4 degrees of separation?

Chronaut

Quote from: Philosopher on December 16, 2015, 11:33:56 AM
Both parties take advantage of this brain drain to blatantly shift more and more power and money to fewer and fewer people and institutions.
I couldn't agree more.  And I think it explains how C2C has remained on the air.