• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Awaiting the Roku NetFlix Player

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 11, 2009, 05:33:53 PM

Caruthers612

So, after all, I decided to give NetFlix one more try, seeing as they have a free trial membership and all. I had no idea they'd gotten their technology to the point that for those videos that are available for immediate viewing, you ain't not gotta download them or nothin'; they just appear right away in your browser and you can start watching. Pretty cool, though there are reasons I'd also like the option to download them so I could play them in the player of my choice.

And the fact is, to continue my discussion of all things video becoming digital, freeing us from the need for physical media like DVDs, obviously, if the vid is on a DVD it has been made digital, so what it really comes down to is rights. Talk about a hornets' nest, can you imagine how many parties--individuals, companies, unions--are involved in this fray? No wonder it is taking years. On the one hand, it's only to be expected that each party wants as much control over their turf as possible, and to make sure they get paid for their work. That I can understand. But there is so much other sleaze, corruption and bullshit involved, not to mention the fact that even as these negotiations have gone on, technology has and will continue to evolve, making new means of delivery possible, sending the respective parties back to the negotiating table yet again. It's a wonder anything is available for download.

M

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: MV on January 03, 2010, 02:47:51 AM
oh, and by the way... regarding my earlier recommendation of a site where you can watch fox news channel streaming, here's another fox news channel stream:
http://www.tvpc.com/Channel.php?ChannelID=1520
i find this to be of better audio/video quality than my earlier recommendation, and far more reliable.
let's see how long THIS lasts.  rupert murdoch would shit himself if he were to read this thread.
and since all of the aforementioned online streams of fox news channel have been killed by... drumroll... fox news... i suggest you click here instead.

while the video quality on this new stream stinks and requires the realaudio plugin (hello, 1997), it's at least there.  i never watch fox news channel for the video, anyway.  audio is all that's of any real importance, and the audio on this stream is fine.

if you don't have the realaudio plugin (about 99% of you) and you don't want to have to install the realaudio player to get it, you can install realalternative player by clicking here.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: MV on March 10, 2010, 02:32:43 AM
and since all of the aforementioned online streams of fox news channel have been killed by... drumroll... fox news... i suggest you click here instead.
well, then.  now THIS one is dead too.  funny how a tv network doesn't want you to actually be able to WATCH the network. 

i guess rupert murdoch doesn't have enough money.  i've got to go out and pay for 75 cable tv channels so i can have access to ONE channel that i actually want to watch.

slipstream

yeah, and it isn't like people are not exposed to their advertising.  Oh well, another one will pop up.

slipstream

Some hackers recently found evidence that the addition of Netflix for the WDTV Live is in the works.  In a pre release firmware some folders were found with 'netflix' in the title.   

Blockbuster is trying to survive: http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/24/news/companies/blockbuster/ 

Long live Netflix!!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: slipstream on March 27, 2010, 07:26:33 AM
Some hackers recently found evidence that the addition of Netflix for the WDTV Live is in the works.  In a pre release firmware some folders were found with 'netflix' in the title.   

Blockbuster is trying to survive: http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/24/news/companies/blockbuster/ 

Long live Netflix!!
yikes.  i guess i'm going to have to sell my roku.  the ONLY thing we use it for is netflix.  roku would have been smart to implement the features of the wdtv live into their box as so many have wished/hoped for so long.

MV/Liberace!

oh, and if anybody finds a place streaming the fox news channel online, please let me know. i refuse to pay for an upgraded cable package.

slipstream

I am not happy with Western Digital.  Out of the blue they release a new media player called 'WD TV Live Plus'.  What is the Plus all about?  Netflix.   Having bought my WD TV Live just before the end of last year. I think I should get some kind of consideration for a Plus, a discount perhaps.  So, instead of punting out another $120 dollars to Western Digital I went ahead and bought a Roku for $99. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: slipstream on June 11, 2010, 04:50:57 PM
   I am not happy with Western Digital.  Out of the blue they release a new media player called 'WD TV Live Plus'.  What is the Plus all about?  Netflix.   Having bought my WD TV Live just before the end of last year. I think I should get some kind of consideration for a Plus, a discount perhaps.  So, instead of punting out another $120 dollars to Western Digital I went ahead and bought a Roku for $99.
TV Live Plus??? WHA WHA WHAT????!!!??? that makes NO sense considering the currently available TV Live is ENTIRELY capable of streaming netflix.  this is bullshit.

MV/Liberace!

btw, slipstream... make sure you upgrade your roku to the new firmware.  it allows you to add movies to your instant queue via the player rather than having to do so from a computer.  also, the new interface is snappier and flashier.  a 100% improvement.  if it tells you no firmware update is available, try again and it should allow you to finally snatch the new FW.

slipstream

The Roku box is a great product.  The Netflix interface is very enjoyable to look through.   The software is solid, and the interface as a whole very nice. The other available content is worth while as well. I am really glad I bought the Roku.

The Roku working in tandem with the WD TV Live all anyone needs for entertainment!!!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: slipstream on June 19, 2010, 10:08:04 PM
The Roku working in tandem with the WD TV Live all anyone needs for entertainment!!!
agreed.  haven't watched cable in months.

slipstream

Does anyone else on this forum have a Roku?

puddintame

Quote from: slipstream on June 25, 2010, 04:28:23 PM
Does anyone else on this forum have a Roku?

Oh gosh.  Oh good Lord.  Do I need one?  Someone please help me!   :D

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: puddintame on June 25, 2010, 11:54:39 PM
Oh gosh.  Oh good Lord.  Do I need one?  Someone please help me!   :D
yes, you do.

puddintame

Hum.  Well, if it is any more technically complicated than my 1986 Sony TV, I probably wouldn't be able to figure out how to use it.

My grandson puts my telephone numbers in my cell phone and my son puts the police frequency in my Bear Cat scanner.  You guys are really lucky that I can almost use this PC at all!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: puddintame on June 26, 2010, 09:51:44 PM
Hum.  Well, if it is any more technically complicated than my 1986 Sony TV, I probably wouldn't be able to figure out how to use it.

My grandson puts my telephone numbers in my cell phone and my son puts the police frequency in my Bear Cat scanner.  You guys are really lucky that I can almost use this PC at all!
the roku is quite brainless.  you'd like it.

puddintame

Quote from: MV on June 27, 2010, 12:56:47 AM
the roku is quite brainless.  you'd like it.

Ha ha.  Okay.  I will give it some brainless consideration.

slipstream

Sooner or later almost all people in the usa will have a Netflix ready device.  

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: slipstream on July 02, 2010, 05:49:26 PM
Sooner or later almost all people in the usa will have a Netflix ready device. 
i think you're right.  they're putting netflix streaming in everything from bluray players to toothbrushes.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: MV on March 10, 2010, 02:32:43 AM
Quote from: MV on January 03, 2010, 02:47:51 AM
oh, and by the way... regarding my earlier recommendation of a site where you can watch fox news channel streaming, here's another fox news channel stream:
http://www.tvpc.com/Channel.php?ChannelID=1520
i find this to be of better audio/video quality than my earlier recommendation, and far more reliable.
let's see how long THIS lasts.  rupert murdoch would shit himself if he were to read this thread.

while the video quality on this new stream stinks and requires the realaudio plugin (hello, 1997), it's at least there.  i never watch fox news channel for the video, anyway.  audio is all that's of any real importance, and the audio on this stream is fine.

if you don't have the realaudio plugin (about 99% of you) and you don't want to have to install the realaudio player to get it, you can install realalternative player by clicking here.
for anyone interested, i've finally found another live stream of the fox news channel online.  click here.  there's a 1 minute ad preroll, but after that, it works fine.  there was a real drought of fox news streams online recently, as the fox legal team stomped about the internet shutting them all down.  we'll see how long this one lasts.

b_dubb

i love my Roku.  i only get broadcast cable now which costs $9/month.  suck it timewarner

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on October 24, 2010, 11:49:14 AM
i love my Roku.  i only get broadcast cable now which costs $9/month.  suck it timewarner
charter is incessantly trying to get me to rent one of their digital cable boxes.  wtf.  we don't even watch the basic cable that we alredy DO have... and the only reason we have it is because it keeps us in a cheaper package than we could otherwise get with only internet service.  i view the cable companies today as nothing more than a data provider.  i'll happily buy their bits to do with whatever i like, but other than that, they're useless to me.  cable tv?  are you kidding me?  puh-leeze.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on October 24, 2010, 11:49:14 AM
oh, and some of those documentaries on netflix are amazing.  check out the one about the nuking of hiroshima.

b_dubb

coincidentally ... i started listening to C2C using my Roku device.  i used one of the radio channels to listen to a Canadian radio channel stream C2C.  at first it was interesting to hear the Canadian advertising but advertising wears on me quickly and now i prefer to listen to the Art Bell stream or the C2C stream (using my friend's login info).

slipstream

I get crap all the time from Comcast wanting me to sign up with their cable service.  Their Internet service is all I need.   I canceled my Dish Network in February, and have never looked back.  Roku keeps getting better.  Loads of new channels have appeared since I bought one earlier this year.  
It is possible to listen to the Coastgab stream using Roku via the Shoutcast channel and the Tunein Radio channel.  

Thanks for the new Fox News stream.  It will be nice to watch some of those shows again

b_dubb

watching a monsterquest show about sasquatch in the high sierra now via the Netflix channel on Roku.  one of the best tech purchase i've made

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: slipstream on October 24, 2010, 09:13:05 PM
It is possible to listen to the Coastgab stream using Roku via the Shoutcast channel and the Tunein Radio channel. 
what?!?!  i had no idea there was a shoutcast channel.

Stevenqbosell

$300 PS3 Slim = PS3 Games (For those so inclined), Blu-Ray Player, and netflix streaming, not to mention all around awesome media player.

;) ;) ;)

Also, I've got Netflix streaming on my iphone 4, gorgeous picture, and have downloaded Pandora, Paranormal radio and... wait for it...

SHoutcast! Coastgab's stream anytime I want!  8)