• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

My Name is Heimlick Manouvre, & I am your Presidio

Started by pate, May 15, 2016, 03:51:43 AM

starrmtn001

Quote from: Catsmile on May 15, 2016, 05:26:41 PM
Ellipsis... triple periods... this thread is full of both.

However... not everyone is suffering from one... a triple period that is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAoTgjkI7uM
Three for pause, four for complete.  You may play with these now. ;) ;D

pate

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on May 15, 2016, 08:59:27 AM

Roswells, try it like this...

...goddammit people.   This implies that you have thought it over before comment
goddammit...people.    Implies you are internalizing it as you type
or even...
goddammit people....   Implies that you quickly retorted "Goddammit people" and are going to have it stirring around in the old noodle for awhile. 

This is not to say that your way is wrong...it's snappy, and to the point for sure...just lacks salt and peppa.   I'm off to visit my in-laws for the day, so lucky me...ya?  You all have a pleasant Sunday (however many of you there REALLY are, bots and A.I. included). 

:) :) :)  (happy ellipses)

Yew spult "dammint" rong...

I wish I had a damme

My name is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RSWs44PdkE

pate

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 15, 2016, 12:30:42 PM
Actually, what's funny is when a language imports a foreign word without enforcing some orthographic conformity, as was done with "colour".  This preserves the word's foreignness for class-conscious reasons, reflecting an underlying insecurity about one's mother tongue.  Aping your French betters, comme toujours.

UR A DORC!

K_Dubb

Quote from: pate on May 15, 2016, 11:58:45 PM
UR A DORC!

Not at all, Pate.  Most of the spelling and pronunciation rules that govern the kind of English over which these people fawn arose from a deliberate effort among fashionable people over there to sound continental.  Much is very recent, within the last 300 years, but it'd probably been going on since the Normans.

The letters of upper-class English women from that time are nauseatingly full of Frenchisms, often poorly understood.  (This was an era when diplomatic cartel ships during the frequent wars carried elaborate dolls from Paris to illustrate how these women should dress.)  It was an aspirational, very class-conscious effort at distancing themselves from the English spoken by their servants.

It's the kind of effort that we today would properly mock for its ludicrous inauthenticity, but somehow the fossilized remains of a 300-year-old fad still have power over there, and inform much of the class posturing and ridicule our friends are pleased to call "banter".

Some of the most distinguishing features of Received Pronunciation -- the deep vowels, swallowing whole consonant clusters -- have parallels in the French spoken at the time, if you listen to, say, Molière given by an authentic-performance group.  A pretty strong case can be made that the plummy allergy to r comes from trying, and failing, to pronounce it in the back of the throat in the French manner.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Catsmile on May 15, 2016, 05:26:41 PM
Ellipsis... triple periods... this thread is full of both.

However... not everyone is suffering from one... a triple period that is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAoTgjkI7uM

Haha, the tire fire is out. Or as the English say for some unknown reason, tyre fire. Maybe K_Dubb can help explain it. Check back in 28 days.

Also, I was probably too hard on Chefist and Billy Joe. I apologize. You two can tell me to fuck off.

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 29, 2016, 01:17:31 PM
Haha, the tire fire is out. Or as the English say for some unknown reason, tyre fire. Maybe K_Dubb can help explain it. Check back in 28 days.

Also, I was probably too hard on Chefist and Billy Joe. I apologize. You two can tell me to fuck off.

I would never say such a thing.  I accept your apology. 

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on May 29, 2016, 02:14:36 PM
I would never say such a thing.  I accept your apology.

No ellipses?!

Also, thank you.

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 29, 2016, 02:17:24 PM
No ellipses?!

Also, thank you.

LOL.  I thought about it of course, but couldn't bring myself to do it.   ;)  I hope you are having a pleasant Sunday.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on May 29, 2016, 02:22:47 PM
LOL.  I thought about it of course, but couldn't bring myself to do it.   ;)  I hope you are having a pleasant Sunday.

It's been pretty good so far. I hope yours is at least as good as mine.  :)

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 29, 2016, 02:37:53 PM
It's been pretty good so far. I hope yours is at least as good as mine.  :)

Thank you.  It has been a nice weekend.  Quiet.  My wife and kids went to see the in-laws, so I've had some nice alone time, but I'm ready for them to come back home tomorrow.  Well, except for the housework, gotta catch up on that! 

pate

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 16, 2016, 11:13:14 AM
Not at all, Pate.  Most of the spelling and pronunciation rules that govern the kind of English over which these people fawn arose from a deliberate effort among fashionable people over there to sound continental.  Much is very recent, within the last 300 years, but it'd probably been going on since the Normans.

The letters of upper-class English women from that time are nauseatingly full of Frenchisms, often poorly understood.  (This was an era when diplomatic cartel ships during the frequent wars carried elaborate dolls from Paris to illustrate how these women should dress.)  It was an aspirational, very class-conscious effort at distancing themselves from the English spoken by their servants.

It's the kind of effort that we today would properly mock for its ludicrous inauthenticity, but somehow the fossilized remains of a 300-year-old fad still have power over there, and inform much of the class posturing and ridicule our friends are pleased to call "banter".

Some of the most distinguishing features of Received Pronunciation -- the deep vowels, swallowing whole consonant clusters -- have parallels in the French spoken at the time, if you listen to, say, Molière given by an authentic-performance group.  A pretty strong case can be made that the plummy allergy to r comes from trying, and failing, to pronounce it in the back of the throat in the French manner.

Thies hole ditribulation smacks of ole' Smuckerz...

ediot: I byte teh ol' leathern bullet.