• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Aviation Thread - News, facts, questions, photos, videos, etc.

Started by Taaroa, June 04, 2017, 09:15:23 AM

I just want to say this is an outstanding thread. Thank you to the contributors. I've read every post at least twice, and slowly.

Taaroa

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 29, 2017, 05:23:05 PM
I know of at least two "boar strikes" on take off involving F-16s over the years.  One involved a USAF a/c, I think in South Carolina or Arkansas.  Don't recall there being any injuries (except to the boar), with limited damage to the Viper. The second incident occurred in Pakistan and was said to have destroyed the a/c, no mention of the fate of the pilot(s). 
You'd think that anywhere a fast jet was operating would be fenced and secured from animals.
I've heard of cow strikes, kangaroo strikes, dog strikes, deer strikes, etc - but these are mainly for light aircraft at remote and unfenced strips or someplace like  India or Indonesia where they're a bit more lax with animals.

Just some examples:
https://avherald.com/h?article=4667a3d9&opt=0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNHq1IaO9Xk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT3JciYy-9Q

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Taaroa on October 29, 2017, 08:47:20 PM
You'd think that anywhere a fast jet was operating would be fenced and secured from animals.
I've heard of cow strikes, kangaroo strikes, dog strikes, deer strikes, etc - but these are mainly for light aircraft at remote and unfenced strips or someplace like  India or Indonesia where they're a bit more lax with animals.

I'd put Pakistan in the same "lax" category as India and Indonesia with regards to such things.  Wild boars are great diggers, they can get under most fences. 

Hog

Quote from: Taaroa on October 27, 2017, 03:40:54 AM
Certainly seems that way with aviation, with bribery and government 'assistance' par for the course. If you haven't already then you should read the article that Uncle Duke posted earlier about the trouble Airbus is in: http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/airbus-corruption-scandal-threatens-ceo-tom-enders-a-1171533.html

Didn't know that such an old prop plane did that. It's how modern turboprops do reverse thrust too - they change the pitch/angle of the blades so that they're effectively pushing air forwards instead of backwards while the engine itself keeps on keeping on in the same direction it always runs.

(I apologise if you already know all this, but someone else reading the thread mightn't)
I
Reverse thrust, the special operations forces Hercules modified to decrease landing distance by firing retrorockets in order to rescue Americans held in Iran.  The retrorockets should be fired AFTER Weight On Wheels(WOW).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRQQ6Z9rOZE
peace
Hog

Taaroa

Lineup of current and former Australian maritime surveillance aircraft with a P-8 Poseidon, P-3 Orion, P-2 Neptune, and a PBY Catalina.

If you notice the roundel on the Catalina, it's a blue circle surrounding a white interior. This is because during WW2 the RAAF was using the standard RAF roundel, and aircraft were misidentified as Japanese due to the red part of it.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 02, 2017, 09:00:27 AM
The article clearly says aircraft.

Your point? Look, go and play with your lego, don't get yourself involved in stuff you don't understand.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 02, 2017, 09:07:06 AM
Your point? Look, go and play with your lego, don't get yourself involved in stuff you don't understand.

Why not just say airplane, like the rest of the modern world?  :D

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 02, 2017, 09:12:56 AM
Why not just say airplane, like the rest of the modern world?  :D

Because its wrong you primitive little nothing. Its only airplane to the illiterate. The same way a lot of the American language is reduced to grunts and eliminating vowels because they don't have the linguistic articulation to pronounce words. I won't compromise the language to accommodate cavemen like you.

Swishypants

1903. Kittyhawk. 'Merica. It's whatever WE say it is Brit!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Swishypants on November 02, 2017, 09:22:10 AM
1903. Kittyhawk. 'Merica. It's whatever WE say it is Brit!

Circa: 1500 Florence, Italy. Leonardo da Vinci. Several flying machines.  ;)

Uncle Duke

https://m.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/two-jet-fighters-sent-up-to-shoot-down-a-wwii-warbird-in-1956-blasted-208-rockets-at-it-it-survived.html

Great story told in a very well written article.  I saw one of, if not the, last ever flight of an F-89 when an ANG (Vermont?) was flown into WPAFB to be put on display at the USAF Museum.  This would have been the late 60s.

Rix Gins

The short and unhappy career of Germany's Siemens-Schuckert DDr.I:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens-Schuckert_DDr.I

QuoteThe unusual DDr.I was one of the first aircraft to have two engines on the same centre line, one in tractor configuration and the other a pusher, an arrangement usually known as tandem push-pull.

QuoteEngine control problems and a lack of stability experienced in the first flight, made on 9 November 1917, led to a crash; the aircraft was not rebuilt and plans for a more powerful version, the DDr.II, powered by two 160 hp (119 kW), Siemens-Halske Sh.III eleven cylinder rotary engines were abandoned.

The Siemens-Schuckert D Dr.I twin-engined triplane fighter prototype.  
By Unknown, photo taken before November 9, 1917. - Wagner, Ray and Nowarra, Heinz. German Combat Planes: A Comprehensive Survey and History of the Development of German Military Aircraft from 1914 to 1945. New York: Doubleday, 1971, page 82 photo, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=39712041

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Rix Gins on November 09, 2017, 05:51:52 PM
The short and unhappy career of Germany's Siemens-Schuckert DDr.I:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens-Schuckert_DDr.I

The Siemens-Schuckert D Dr.I twin-engined triplane fighter prototype.  
By Unknown, photo taken before November 9, 1917. - Wagner, Ray and Nowarra, Heinz. German Combat Planes: A Comprehensive Survey and History of the Development of German Military Aircraft from 1914 to 1945. New York: Doubleday, 1971, page 82 photo, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=39712041

https://youtu.be/jK8ydLY5QHQ

The Germans had more luck with the tandem engine design some 25 years later with the Do 335.  Only a handful were completed prior to the end of the war, apparently none were used operationally.  The Do 335 was the fastest piston engine a/c in WWII, and would have taken a toll on Allied strategic bombers had it gotten into combat.

Hog

Concord June 2002, Queens Golden Jubilee

There is a plan for a Return To Flight for Concord F-BTSD.  A tentative 2019 date has been made
to coincide with its 1st flight 50 years prior. Aircraft F-BTSD is currently on static display at Le Bourget airport.

Apparently whenever this topic is brought up, people always ask "Where's the money?"  So far £160million/S$209.78 million/CAN$267.10 million has been raised for this effort.

There were 20 Concorde aircraft(a/c) built
-2 prototypes
-2 pre-production aircraft
-2 development aircraft
-14 production aircraft

Prototypes
F-WTSS (production designation 001)the first Concorde to fly, on 2 March 1969, and was retired on arrival at the French air museum at Le Bourget Airport on 19 October 1973, with 397 flights over 812 hours, of which 255 hours were supersonic.It remains in its Solar Eclipse mission livery complete with rooftop portholes. Concorde 001 was modified for the 1973 Solar Eclipse mission with rooftop portholes and observation equipment. Its flight over Africa became the longest observation of a solar eclipse, lasting some 74 minutes
G-BSST (002) first flew on 9 April 1969 from Filton to RAF Fairford. Its last flight was on 4 March 1976 when it flew to the Fleet Air Arm Museum at the Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton, England. It had made 438 flights (836 hours), of which 196 flights were supersonic.

Pre-Production units
G-AXDN (101) first flew on 17 December 1971 from Filton and was retired to the Imperial War Museum Duxford, England, where it landed on 20 August 1977, having made 269 flights (632 hours), of which 168 flights were supersonic.
F-WTSA (102) first flew on 10 January 1973 from Toulouse. It was the fourth aircraft and the first to have the features and the shape of the future production aircraft.

Development Aircraft
F-WTSB (201) first flew on 6 December 1973 from Toulouse. Its last flight was on 19 April 1985
G-BBDG  (202) first flew on 13 December 1974

Production Aircraft
British Concords
G-BOAC (204)
G-BOAA (206)
G-BOAB (208)
G-BOAD (210)
G-BOAE (212)
G-BOAG (214)
G-BOAF (216)

French Concordes
F-BTSC (203)
F-BVFA (205)
F-BVFB (207)
F-BVFC (209)
F-BVFD (211)
F-BTSD (213) this is the ac which was painted in the blue Pepsi livery
F-BVFF (215)

Here is a video of F-BTSD in Pepsi livery just prior to its reveal. Pepsi was in the midst of a US$500 million "rebranding" push. Pepsi wanted the entire a/c painted Pepsi blue, but Concord engineers nixed that plan as there were heat rejection concerns.  They advised to keep the wings in their original white colour as there were concerns that the fuel would heat up too much.  Even with the white wings a speed restriction of Mach 2.02 for a maximum duration of 20 minutes.  There were no speed restriction at speeds of Mach 1.7 and lower.

200 liters of paint were needed and it apparently cost Pepsi US$20 million.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE6bcTdW-1E

I doubt we'll see Concorde fly before this decade is out, but I really hope we do see her fly again.

peace
Hog

Taaroa

Tupolev says it keep getting requests to convert supersonic bombers into private business jets
QuoteBig business tycoons in different countries (an Arab sheikh, a millionaire in Australia and a wealthy Greek among them) keep asking us to make a personal supersonic plane on the basis of the missile-carrying Tupolev-160 or long-range bomber Tupolev-2M3. We get such messages regularly, some of them through the Rosoboronexport agency,” Solozobov was quoted as saying.
However, such requests have been turned down as the bombers contain classified technology. Its not ideal for private jets to have variable swept wings as well, Solozobov added.
http://tass.com/defense/975328

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excuse this ramble-y story, but it's still bothering me over a day later:

Yesterday, before the first of my long haul flights, I went to the airline's lounge where on entering I noticed a man loudly talking about what might've passed for shameless bragging/hot air over their business acumen. After sitting down across the other side of the lounge I noticed it wasn't directed at anyone and there was no one within a few meters of him, but his volume was getting louder. The topics he was ranting about quickly took a nose dive into the conspiracy theory territory (starting off with more vanilla fare like "you have to be friends with Bill Gates to be a billionaire" through to stuff like "I am god and they are out to get me *giggles to self*") and he got up and paced around the lounge, with volume and speed of speech increasing.
After a good 5min of this I ended up going to speak to the staff at the desk, where I was told that other passengers and their own staff had already informed them of it and that someone was coming down to deal with it.
So another 5min pass and someone from the airline came and spoke to him and he sat down and shut up... for 10min following which he started up worse than ever. The staff member who I'd spoken to came over to me and asked if he had calmed down at all and then said that she had asked him when he went for a walk "how are you doing today?", to which his apparent response had been a paranoid "do you ask all your passengers that?".

So I went off to freshen up before the flight and when I returned the ranting guy had disappeared. Fast forward to my flight when just after the seatbelt sign went off, to my complete shock, the guy was on the plane and rifling through the magazine selection. Now the flight was uneventful and he didn't seem to act out during it, but I guarantee you that any airline crewmember wouldn't have let that man on a plane having known how he'd been acting just 20min before. Not only was he a danger to the crew/pax/aircraft, but potentially could've cost the airline a very large sum of money and service disruptions if he had started acting up in the air.

I'm thinking that maybe (judged on his attire and accent) he was well connected somehow in the country of the airline/the destination, and that they let him on because of this.  ::)

Taaroa

Chinese admiral claims J-15s have carried out “thousands of takeoffs” using EMALS
QuoteRear Admiral Yin Zhuo, director of the People’s Liberation Army Navy’s expert consultation committee, told CCTV recently that the country’s J-15s have made “thousands of takeoffs” using the Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS).
Yin said China was able to develop the device because its engineers have designed a state-of-the-art ship-based power system. The country has outperformed the US in the development of such systems, which are considered by military experts as a game-changing technology in naval hardware, he said.

"Compared with the US, we have better technologies in key parts, such as motor-control devices and power distribution software. We are leaders in the research and development of integrated electric power systems," he said.
Yin said that China now possesses proven technologies for both steam catapults and electromagnetic launch systems. He said the Navy's second domestically designed carrier will use a catapult system to assist takeoffs rather than the ski-jump mode.

----------------------------------------------------

Navy admits to being involved in obscene skydrawings spotted in Okanogan Co.
QuoteOfficials with the Naval Air Station Whidbey Island said one of their aircraft was involved in the obscene skywritings spotted in Okanogan County.

Photos sent to KREM 2 by multiple sources show skydrawings of what some people are saying is male genitalia. Some sources have even tweeted pictures of what they saw.
A mother who lives in Okanogan who took pictures of the drawings reached out to KREM 2 to complain about the images, saying she was upset she might have to explain to her young children what the drawings were.

In a statement to KREM 2 News navy officials said, "The Navy holds its aircrew to the highest standards and we find this absolutely unacceptable, of zero training value and we are holding the crew accountable."

http://www.king5.com/news/graphic-obscene-skydrawings-spotted-in-okanogan-co/492519236

Taaroa

Air France crew detained after passenger complains “not receiving her upgrade”

QuotePart of an Air France crew flying between Paris CDG and Buenos Aires was detained for six hours by the airport police upon arrival in Argentina as the daughter of a former Deputy Minister of Justice in Argentina was “very unhappy about her treatment on board“. French cabin crew union SNPNC explains on Facebook.

The passenger was travelling on board Air France flight AF228 to Buenos Aires on 29 October 2017. Apparently, she asked for an upgrade to business class but was denied the upgrade as the business class was fully booked. In-flight the same passenger asked to change her seat again due to the “inappropriate behaviour” of her neighbour. The crew didn’t notice anything particular but complied with the passenger’s request and assigned her a new seat.

The next morning the crew was sent to a courtyard and the purser was separated from the rest of the crew and locked in a 1 m2 room without the possibility to sit nor drink and eat for several hours. Two guards were constantly watching him.

After several hours, he could finally speak to a lawyer to file a complaint about his treatment. The other crew members were heard for many hours, but the purser was interrogated only at 20:00. Next to the judge, the father of the passenger was also present to interrogate the crew members, in Spanish.

At the end of the day, everyone was released without charges and without excuses. The shocked crew was repatriated to France.

http://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air-france-klm-group/air-france/the-long-arm-of-the-law-was-in-motion-at-buenos-aires-air-france-crew-detained-after-passenger-complains-not-receiving-her-upgrade/