• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 10

Started by Juan, July 29, 2015, 04:22:44 PM

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on June 11, 2016, 03:17:01 PM
I got an Acer too, about a year and a half ago or so. It was the only one available with Win 7. Imagine  my surprise when not only did I have to dodge Win 8, but Win 10 as well. I don't think my complaint to the FTC will amount to a hill of beans,  but it felt good filing it. I don't  have money or recourse to legal counsel, but I'd love to see MS get hit with a class action suit just for the annoyance factor.

Sounds about right, and on endless loop too.

You might be interested in this article:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/27/12046738/microsoft-pays-10k-over-windows-10-auto-update

Gumby, Dammit

Windows 10

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Quote from: mv on July 27, 2016, 03:37:57 PM
beyond all of that, your ISP knows 10000% more about your activities than microsoft could ever dream of knowing.

fud.

Come on, dude, no only isn't that close to being accurate, it's not even a logical argument.  That's like arguing that since the chances of dying in an auto accident are much higher than dying of AIDS, there's no point in wearing a condom.  And it's wrong, besides.  Win10 can log individual keystrokes and mouse clicks.  How can your ISP collect "100 times" that level of detail?

I think that there are some people who have a very constricted view of what constitutes personal information.  For them, so long as social security and credit card numbers are protected, everything else is up for grabs.

At the other end of the scale are those with a more expansive view.  Any information which can be used to characterize them is considered personal information.  For example, the company Next sells a smart thermostat (among other smart appliances).  It identifies and learns your habits related to the use of your home, for the sake of maximizing temperature comfort and efficiency -- it will turn on prior to your arrival at home, not adjust the temperature in rooms you are not located in, and so forth.

All this is fine, but this behavioural information is beamed back to Next in its entirety.  Information that identifies when you get up on what days, when you sleep, when you stay out late, how much time you spend in your kitchen or living room or other rooms, when you sleep in, how often you go away on trips, how many guests you have and how often, and more.  Now, what in the fuck does Next need that information for?  In reply, Next uses the marketing u-joint used by all personal data harvesters in such situations: "To improve your user experience." 

Those in the first category above don't consider this personal information and Next collecting it is a "meh" to them.  Those in the second group disagree.  Like me, they can't readily identify a nefarious purpose for which this information might be used, but simply feel that it's not any of Google's motherfucking business.  Did I say Google?  Yes, Google recognized the treasure trove of behavioural information that is harvested in these appliances, so they snapped up Next into the Google borg.  They can't use this information for targeted ads, so why do they want it?  It's none of their motherfucking business.

I suspect that you are in the first category above while I know that I am in the second, and it is not a disagreement about technical matters that divides us but rather a difference of opinion about what is considered "personal information."  You are certainly sophisticated enough to be aware that simply flipping the switches on three screens is not going to shut off the data farming performed by Windows 10.  In fact, some of that farming can't be shut off at all.  You might feel that the information collected beyond what is on those three screens is "unimportant," but that is your opinion, not a fact.  It's misleading of you to imply that flipping the switches on three screens protects you from personal information stealing by Windows 10.  It doesn't, you know that, and I wish you wouldn't speak about it like you are talking facts rather than your opinion. 

Oh, and by the way, when you use Windows 10 you explicitly authorize MS to alter your privacy settings without further authorization, knowledge, or notice to you.  MS has conspired with Intel to alter future microprocessor designs such that versions of Windows older than Win10 will not run on them.  In five to ten years, when the population of machines can only run the Windows 10 version, they'll shut off those privacy protections for you.  And then they will eliminate them entirely.  Paranoia?  Well, consider that this is exactly the same model used by Facebook and others.  They ram a 2" diameter data stealing dildo up your ass.  People bitch, but eventually give in.  Microsoft is now just as unethical and rapacious as Facebook, Google, or anyone else.

Quote from: mv on July 27, 2016, 03:37:57 PM
beyond all of that, your ISP knows 10000% more about your activities than microsoft could ever dream of knowing.

fud.

For other posters who are not aware of what I'm talking about, here's a link to a short article that discusses MS collecting information even when the user explicitly chooses to not share information or in some cases does not use the service AT ALL.

http://www.ibtimes.com/windows-10-spying-you-privacy-fears-raised-os-secretly-contacts-microsoft-regardless-2051900

There are numerous other sites that go into more detail; this article just gives you some sense about what is going on.

Also: MS regularly scans your computer and will delete files or programs that it decides you shouldn't have, without notice or consent.   Again, these are facts that are well-known and acknowledged, except by MS who shamelessly lies about it when confronted with the evidence.

Quote from: Gumby, Dammit on July 29, 2016, 03:43:45 AM
Windows 10

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Here's my Top 10 Windows 10 Ha Ha's

10)  Windows Hello -- Allows your computer to scan your face to login, or use a fingerprint for the same purpose.  Information which is, of course, beamed right over to MS's servers, so that they can hand THAT to the government along with the rest of your personal information.

9)  A 21% adoption rate at the end of the free upgrade period -- They gave away Windows 10 FOR FREE for a year, it's shipped on all new PCs for that same period, AND Microsoft forced the upgrade on people against their wishes, and yet Win10 only has an install base that is twice that of Win XP -- an OS that came out 15 years ago and has not been supported by MS for more than two years.

8)  Cortana -- Those folks at MS are a real cutup.  This armpit of a "virtual personal assistant" can tell you a joke or the weather, but that's about it.  Why isn't it up to speed with Siri or Google Now?  Maybe because it's real purpose is to report personal information about you to MS, whether you use it or not, and not because they wanted to provide, you know, a virtual personal assistant.  For extra fun, the Anniversary Update (which you can NOT avoid) turns on Cortana by default.  That's right, MS is stripping out the privacy controls, just like I predicted they would.

7)  Windows 10 breaches French law by collecting too much personal information from users -- The French National Data Protection Commission claims that, among other violations, MS "tracked its customers without permission, setting and activating an advertising ID when Windows 10 was installed that allowed apps to target advertising to users. It also put advertising cookies on the computers without giving users a chance to opt out first."  Other countries in Europe are studying Win 10 and are expected to reach similar findings.

6)  Snooping code in Visual Studio 2015 -- Those zany engineers at MS surreptitiously stuck telemetry code into VS-2015.  By "surreptitiously" I don't mean they failed to inform the users.  I mean they failed to inform the fucking developers.  Naturally, the users can't opt out of this spying.  When they got caught with their pants down, they claimed that they did it (wait for it) to improve the user experience.

5)  Forced advertising -- Ads are all over the place on Windows 10.  On the lock screen; on the start menu; through tiles on the desktop.  Starting Aug. 2, system admins will not be able to keep Microsoft from pushing advertising onto Win10 Pro PCs on their networks because certain Group Policies will be deactivated.  There is NO option to avoid this advertising; those who paid for GPEdit (group policy edit) will wake up to find that their ability to control this, and other settings has been eliminated. 

4)  Windows Store has nothing but shit for apps -- Companies are running away from Windows Store.  Amazon, Tumblr and PayPal all recently pulled there apps.  Apparently they don't want to piss away resources writing apps for Win 10 when their money is better spent with Google or Apple.

3)  Three screens of switches protects your privacy -- Not according to Microsoft.  Here's a link (https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/manage/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services#bkmk-priv-feedback) -- FROM MICROSOFT -- that shows the list of all the things you need to configure to maximize your protection from personal information stealing.  Note that I didn't say, "block" information stealing.  Take a look at the SIZE of that motherfucker!  There are 23 main categories, and even more subcategories.

2)  MS will not meet its goal of 1 billion installs by mid-2018  --  ...they said in a press release.  They blame this on slow sales of Microsoft phones, because...well, because they couldn't very well come out and admit that people don't want to install spyware on their computers, can they?

1)  The upgrade scandal -- The Win 10 dialogue screen insisting that you upgrade was something out of the old Soviet Union.  There was only an option to accept -- not to decline.  The only way around this was to click on the little X in the right corner of the screen to close it.  Then MS figured out that was what everyone was doing, so what did they do?  They defied decades of convention and their own fucking design guidelines to reprogram the X so that it ACCEPTED THE UPGRADE PROMPT -- without informing the user of the difference in function.  THAT is the morality and ethics of the company that is raping your Win 10-enabled computer for your personal information.  Feel safer now with Win 10?

Robert

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on August 01, 2016, 09:00:07 PM8)  Cortana -- Those folks at MS are a real cutup.  This armpit of a "virtual personal assistant" can tell you a joke or the weather, but that's about it.  Why isn't it up to speed with Siri or Google Now?  Maybe because it's real purpose is to report personal information about you to MS, whether you use it or not, and not because they wanted to provide, you know, a virtual personal assistant.
She was more like a nagging little kid following me around & asking all the time what I was trying to do.

Gruntled

Anybody have problems with the Anniversary update [released August 2,2016] build 1607 ,Particularly unresponsive system etc?
I have a fix that works for my system and others if interested.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Gruntled on August 07, 2016, 05:30:12 PM
Anybody have problems with the Anniversary update [released August 2,2016] build 1607 ,Particularly unresponsive system etc?
I have a fix that works for my system and others if interested.

recently, i've been noticing that when applications attempt to open a browser, the "choose a browser" dialog pops up and offers no options.  windows is both failing to launch the default browser (chrome) and failing to include any browser choices in the "choose" dialog box.  since there's nothing available to select, there's no way to close that dialog and it stays on top of all windows.  if you try to force close that dialog box's process in the task manager, task manager appears to lock up and you have no choice but to eventually reboot if you want to get rid of the goddamn dialog box or the task manager window. 

i don't know if this is a bug in win10 or if an update has broken some of my past tinkering.  i'll probably just go ahead and reinstall windows in the next week or two.  i like to do that every year or so anyway, and win10 has gone through a lot of updates since it was installed on this machine.  wouldn't hurt to start with updates already slipped in.  wait a year... repeat.

jazmunda

Quote from: mv on August 07, 2016, 09:48:17 PM
recently, i've been noticing that when applications attempt to open a browser, the "choose a browser" dialog pops up and offers no options.  windows is both failing to launch the default browser (chrome) and failing to include any browser choices in the "choose" dialog box.  since there's nothing available to select, there's no way to close that dialog and it stays on top of all windows.  if you try to force close that dialog box's process in the task manager, task manager appears to lock up and you have no choice but to eventually reboot if you want to get rid of the goddamn dialog box or the task manager window. 

i don't know if this is a bug in win10 or if an update has broken some of my past tinkering.  i'll probably just go ahead and reinstall windows in the next week or two.  i like to do that every year or so anyway, and win10 has gone through a lot of updates since it was installed on this machine.  wouldn't hurt to start with updates already slipped in.  wait a year... repeat.

Time for you to get a Mac mv.

jazmunda

Quote from: mv on August 07, 2016, 10:40:23 PM
fuck.  that.

Not ready for a pretentious beard, an espresso machine or the vegan lifestyle?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: jaz on August 07, 2016, 10:49:59 PM
Not ready for a pretentious beard, an espresso machine or the vegan lifestyle?

recently my shop has been seeing an increased number of macs come through.  when i work on them, i'm often angry by the end of the process; sometimes not, but often i am.  depending on the model, macs can be some of the least user serviceable computers ever sold.  replacing the hard drive on an imac, for example, is a complete joke.  meanwhile, swapping the logic board on a macbook pro is one of the easiest things ever.  just depends what you're working on.

i also just don't like the look or feel of macOS.  certain aspects of the GUI i find vomit inducing, like the menu system at the top of the screen and how it looks when you access it.

jazmunda

I love it when you talk GUI.

Element 115

Quote from: mv on August 07, 2016, 11:50:16 PM
recently my shop has been seeing an increased number of macs come through.  when i work on them, i'm often angry by the end of the process; sometimes not, but often i am.  depending on the model, macs can be some of the least user serviceable computers ever sold.  replacing the hard drive on an imac, for example, is a complete joke.  meanwhile, swapping the logic board on a macbook pro is one of the easiest things ever.  just depends what you're working on.

i also just don't like the look or feel of macOS.  certain aspects of the GUI i find vomit inducing, like the menu system at the top of the screen and how it looks when you access it.

My last 17'' iMac took a trip to the range and we riddled it with 5.56 NATO rounds. It was swell. Mac sucks.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Element 115 on August 07, 2016, 11:58:58 PM
My last 17'' iMac took a trip to the range and we riddled it with 5.56 NATO rounds. It was swell. Mac sucks.

if it were mine, i'd probably do the same.  in this case, i think i'd rather take the guy's $289 to revive it, heh heh.

i think the one on my bench is a 24" imac.

Element 115

Quote from: mv on August 08, 2016, 12:01:32 AM
if it were mine, i'd probably do the same.  in this case, i think i'd rather take the guy's $289 to revive it, heh heh.

i think the one on my bench is a 24" imac.

Oh yeah ya part swapper. I hear ya there.

Have you seen the 4K iMac screen? My brother has one, insane.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Element 115 on August 08, 2016, 12:03:22 AM
Oh yeah ya part swapper. I hear ya there.

Have you seen the 4K iMac screen? My brother has one, insane.

i'm sure it's beautiful.  first thing i'd do is install windows on it, which is what studies show 80% of mac users end up doing anyway.  it used to be that if you installed windows on a mac, you had to run it in a virtualized environment using out of date and inadequate drivers provided by apple.  is that still true?  i think people are better off throwing that same $1000-$1500 at a new PC because you get something insanely powerful for that amount of money by comparison.

Element 115

Quote from: mv on August 08, 2016, 12:08:09 AM
i'm sure it's beautiful.  first thing i'd do is install windows on it, which is what studies show 80% of mac users end up doing anyway.  it used to be that if you installed windows on a mac, you had to run it in a virtualized environment using out of date and inadequate drivers provided by apple.  is that still true?  i think people are better off throwing that same $1000-$1500 at a new PC because you get something insanely powerful for that amount of money by comparison.

It was true up until the Intel Macs, then you could install Windows without being virtual.

Element 115

Quote from: mv on August 08, 2016, 12:08:09 AM

Yes I'd much rather build a custom PC than spend the money on a Mac.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Element 115 on August 08, 2016, 12:10:13 AM
It was true up until the Intel Macs, then you could install Windows without being virtual.

do you still have to use drivers provided by apple?

Element 115

Anything where you have to take the frigging screen off to get to the hard drive, I'm all friggin set.

Element 115

Quote from: mv on August 08, 2016, 12:12:01 AM
do you still have to use drivers provided by apple?

Yes, and with boot camp.

jazmunda

I'm laughing at your Apple/Mac hating from the warm glow of my iMac, Mac Pro, iPad & iPhone. Oh and my Apple watch. Oh god I disgust myself.

Element 115

Quote from: jaz on August 08, 2016, 12:19:05 AM
I'm laughing at your Apple/Mac hating from the warm glow of my iMac, Mac Pro, iPad & iPhone. Oh and my Apple watch. Oh god I disgust myself.

My iPad Air 2 rocks, I enjoy it. But I'm a PC guy all the way. Yeah that 17'' iMac was shredded when we were done with it. PoS.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Element 115 on August 08, 2016, 12:12:41 AM
Anything where you have to take the frigging screen off to get to the hard drive, I'm all friggin set.

it's a joy.  requires two plungers.  yay.

Element 115

You probably have an espresso machine too, you vegan.

MV/Liberace!

yuck.  the rapture can't come soon enough.