• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bakegab: The Bellgab Bakeshop

Started by Roswells, Art, May 06, 2019, 02:53:36 PM

SredniVashtar

Quote from: pyewacket on May 20, 2019, 10:21:11 AM
That doesn't make up for that Hitler comment.  ;)

Keep up, Frau Strudel, I wasn't intending a compliment. I meant you were passing off a shop cake as your own. I will blow a horn next time, I can see it must be confusing.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 20, 2019, 10:15:51 AM
Blimey, touchy touchee. Actually. It reminds me of those cheese cakes that come from Japan. There is a video somewhere of them taking them out of the oven and slicing them. I was mesmerised. I can't recall having had anything like that, it looked good.

Are you going the full Monty and using ten eggs?

Oh yeah that's nothing.  There are 17 in my 17.mai sandwich cake, appropriately: five yolks in the cake, 12 yolks in the pastry cream, and all the whites in the meringue.  Neat how it works out.

Those Japanese cheesecakes are really good, a super dense sponge that is still somehow light as a feather.  I've come close, making a Filipino-style pandan cake with cake flour, but I think you need a steam oven to get it right.

pyewacket

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 20, 2019, 10:23:57 AM
Keep up, Frau Strudel, I wasn't intending a compliment. I meant you were passing off a shop cake as your own. I will blow a horn next time, I can see it must be confusing.

And here I thought you were trying to be nice; silly me! 

K_Dubb

Quote from: pyewacket on May 20, 2019, 10:18:35 AM
K_Dubb- you are so sweet. Cake decorating was just a hobby/new form of creative outlet for me. My cakes were only enjoyed by family and friends. I was a member of a forum dedicated to bakers that ranged from amateurs, like myself, to those appearing on TV and professional competitors. It has been so long that I don't even know if it still exists. They would critique our photos and help us improve our work.

If you think SV really deserves a cake and you want to go the traditional route- I hope this helps. Happy baking.

http://cake-geek.com/index.php/piping-techniques-piping-drop-strings/

Haha not so sweet; I'm gonna eat it and all he gets is a pic.  Plus I am sure there will be opportunities for some general remarks on British baking, using the cake as a silent opponent.  I don't think this one is frosted, there's just some sort of a "gooey sugar top" on it.

That piping is ridiculously elegant.  At this stage in cake-baking I'm happy with a cake that doesn't lean (I'm partial to thick fillings and haven't mastered the freezing thing) and is sorta smooth.

pyewacket

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 20, 2019, 10:40:24 AM
Haha not so sweet; I'm gonna eat it and all he gets is a pic.  I don't think this one is frosted, there's just some sort of a "gooey sugar top" on it.

That piping is ridiculously elegant.  At this stage in cake-baking I'm happy with a cake that doesn't lean (I'm partial to thick fillings and haven't mastered the freezing thing) and is sorta smooth.

Sounds yummy. I was never good at piping, but could appreciate the hard work that goes into these beautiful cakes.

It is all in the support system you use. Round or square cake boards (cardboard) and dowels pushed into the center of the lower tier. That usually solves the 'Piza' effect- if you put too much weight on the bottom tier you can also have a problem with the filling bowing out the sides of the cake. 

Rix Gins

Quote from: pyewacket on May 20, 2019, 10:53:18 AM
Sounds yummy. I was never good at piping, but could appreciate the hard work that goes into these beautiful cakes.

It is all in the support system you use. Round or square cake boards (cardboard) and dowels pushed into the center of the lower tier. That usually solves the 'Piza' effect- if you put too much weight on the bottom tier you can also have a problem with the filling bowing out the sides of the cake.

I'll be more than happy to eat all of the mistakes.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: VC on May 06, 2019, 04:38:24 PM
Look forward to any pics and recipes. Were the Masterclasses done with Paul/Mary doing the baking or, instead, guiding "chosen bakers" just focusing on teaching the audience how to bake each recipe?

I'm definitely into using as little sugar as possible, as everything I buy that uses sugar is waayyy toooooo sweet for me.

Hey VC. The Masterclasses are just Paul and Mary making their own version of the challenges they had put to the contenders so viewers can follow along at home and bake it themselves. You have to do a search for the recipes though because sometimes it's not clear on the show.

If you want to check it out it's on Amazon and Netflix.

pyewacket

I found more pictures of my sugar art and cringe at my early efforts. the good thing with this sort of decorating is that you can always improve. You learn to add more detail to your work and it is fun to look back to compare the results over time.

I made several baby shower cakes and could see the progression as my skills improved.

Here is my first one. Not too bad but my work was not neat and lacked detail.

This cake 'topper' was made about a year or so later and was more detailed.

This was the last one I made and it was my best at the time. Much more attention to detail and much neater work. I also made the cake for it and decided to just pipe the frosting and not fuss with smoothing it.

Close up of the lamb. He was fun to make.  :)

pyewacket

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 20, 2019, 01:40:53 PM
I'll be more than happy to eat all of the mistakes.

Hi Rix! I missed you! Hope you have a big appetite.  ;)

K_Dubb

Just beautiful, pye; the fancy up-and-down piping on the sides of the green cake will give me nightmares.  I am lucky to get a straight cross on my hot cross buns.  But to see the progression is great and gives hope.

pyewacket

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 20, 2019, 09:43:07 PM
Just beautiful, pye; the fancy up-and-down piping on the sides of the green cake will give me nightmares.  I am lucky to get a straight cross on my hot cross buns.  But to see the progression is great and gives hope.

Thank you K_Dubb. If you use the large tips it is easy. Do not get discouraged.

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 20, 2019, 09:43:07 PM
But to see the progression is great and gives hope.

I have proof of how true that statement is. I have to work up the nerve to post my very first attempt at a theme cake at the request of Mr. Pye. I had absolutely no clue of what I was doing. My daughters tried to help and we all made it worse, proving the old saying- "Too many cooks spoil the broth". 

Stay tuned.

AZZERAE

I heard Paladin makes a mean anal pastry.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Azzerae on May 22, 2019, 10:15:04 AM
I heard Paladin makes a mean anal pastry.

Only the truly demented say shit like this.  Azzerae is a commitment order waiting to happen.  If he lived in a civilized society he would be spending his days doing supervised finger painting. 

K_Dubb

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 22, 2019, 11:30:33 AM
Only the truly demented say shit like this.  Azzerae is a commitment order waiting to happen.  If he lived in a civilized society he would be spending his days doing supervised finger painting.

I don't know; I don't think it would be bellgab if someone didn't take the occasional dump in the kitchen.

AZZERAE

I know how to slip out of a straitjacket in a jiffy. Thank God the walls are soft.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: whoozit on May 06, 2019, 04:41:35 PM
Pizza on the grill.  Baked at 750 degrees.

That looks good. Is that one of those kamado grills? I kind of want one now. Until then I'll continue to bake pizza and bread on an untreated natural stone tile I bought at Home Depot for $5.

The difference between a pizza cooked on a stone and one in a pan is remarkable.

SredniVashtar

How do I make a muffin that's worth a damn? They always turn out spongy. The only time I ever have one that's OK it's in coffee shops where they bake them on the premises and turn out denser and more satisfying.

It's the same with cakes. They are always too light but I want something a bit more close-textured. I can usually buy cakes in the shops that manage it (although the muffins are always rubbish) but can't do it myself.

pyewacket

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 22, 2019, 03:22:24 PM
How do I make a muffin that's worth a damn? They always turn out spongy. The only time I ever have one that's OK it's in coffee shops where they bake them on the premises and turn out denser and more satisfying.

It's the same with cakes. They are always too light but I want something a bit more close-textured. I can usually buy cakes in the shops that manage it (although the muffins are always rubbish) but can't do it myself.

What ingredients do you use? Mix or from scratch? We might be able to help if you tell us a bit about your baking methods.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: pyewacket on May 22, 2019, 03:42:43 PM
What ingredients do you use? Mix or from scratch? We might be able to help if you tell us a bit about your baking methods.

I've never used a mix. How very dare you!

If we're talking muffins, it was the usual stuff - milk, sugar, oil etc. I used to blame the oven, thinking maybe you need a bigger one or something. I'd follow the instructions but it would never come out the way I wanted. They were OK, just nothing special.

whoozit

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 22, 2019, 03:03:40 PM
That looks good. Is that one of those kamado grills? I kind of want one now. Until then I'll continue to bake pizza and bread on an untreated natural stone tile I bought at Home Depot for $5.

The difference between a pizza cooked on a stone and one in a pan is remarkable.
It is.  It can grill, bake or smoke.  I am glad someone thought enough of me to give it as a birthday present. 

pyewacket

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 22, 2019, 03:50:17 PM
I've never used a mix. How very dare you!

Well- la-dee-dah! Now you want to know about ovens- eh?

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 22, 2019, 03:50:17 PM
If we're talking muffins, it was the usual stuff - milk, sugar, oil etc. I used to blame the oven, thinking maybe you need a bigger one or something. I'd follow the instructions but it would never come out the way I wanted. They were OK, just nothing special.

Here is a nice recipe that can make muffins or loaves:

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 tbs vanilla
    2 eggs
    3 1/2 cups flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    2 cups milk
    2 1/2 cups frozen blueberries, thawed

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350°. Either line the muffin tin with paper liners or spray two loaf pans with non stick spray.
    Using either an electric hand mixer or stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs.
    Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the bowl. Slowly start to incorporate the dry ingredients.
    As the dry ingredients are being mixed into the butter mixture, slowly pour the milk into the batter.
    Once all of the ingredients are incorporated, turn the speed up and whip the batter until extremely smooth.
    Fold in the blueberries.
    Divide the batter among two loaf pans or muffin tins.
    Bake at 350°. For the muffins, bake for 20-25 minutes. For the quick bread bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden. both should pass the toothpick test before taking out of the
oven.
Let cool completely before slicing or serving.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 22, 2019, 03:22:24 PM

I would up the oil and whatever other liquid you are using and, since I'm guessing you're using that silly self-raising flour, put part regular flour in.

For cakes:  if you are talking about what you call foam cakes (that we call sponge cakes) that Japanese cheesecake vid you posted was all about folding the whites in at soft peaks instead of stiff; that produced the dense, even texture.  If you are talking about sponge cakes, try using regular instead of self-raising if there are plenty of eggs.  Usually the eggs alone are capable of enough lift to make it tasty.  But watch the bake time; nothing dries out faster than an egg-leavened cake.  Be as skimpy as you can.

Also I think your self-raising flour has salt in addition to baking powder so if you're subbing it with regular you might put an extra pinch in.

K_Dubb

It would be interesting to compare pye's recipe side-by-side with the one Shreddy is using.  It's definitely not the oven; you can bake a decent muffin in those countertop things.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 22, 2019, 12:05:06 PM
I don't know; I don't think it would be bellgab if someone didn't take the occasional dump in the kitchen.
But good Bellgabbers would then take the poo filled empty beer carton outside, douse it with diesel fuel, set it alight, and take pics to post of the burning poo. 

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on May 22, 2019, 05:41:22 PM
But good Bellgabbers would then take the poo filled empty beer carton outside, douse it with diesel fuel, set it alight, and take pics to post of the burning poo.

Haha and then write a sonnet about the poo.

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on May 22, 2019, 05:49:18 PM
Wasn't there a popular thread on that?
There was but I can't find it now. AKWilly who, due to his housing situation and lifestyle, would poo in beer boxes and burn them. He also once poo'ed on a chair and burnt it. He also had a cute little dog and a fondness for large women, good in cold climate situations. And was tolerant of women with a lazy eye.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on May 22, 2019, 06:12:39 PM
There was but I can't find it now. AKWilly who, due to his housing situation and lifestyle, would poo in beer boxes and burn them. He also once poo'ed on a chair and burnt it. He also had a cute little dog and a fondness for large women, good in cold climate situations. And was tolerant of women with a lazy eye.
Heh, heh... good 'ol BellGab.