• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things that bring me joy....

Started by West of the Rockies, July 19, 2013, 03:21:12 PM

whoozit

Quote from: aldousburbank on July 01, 2016, 11:33:36 AM
Blackberries everywhere!
Racist!  They do make delicious pies though.  We used to have a lot of them at our RC flying field.  Then a farmer got to the field and cut them all down.  Why do farmers hate things that they haven't planted?

starrmtn001

Quote from: whoozit on July 01, 2016, 12:59:37 PM
Racist!  They do make delicious pies though.  We used to have a lot of them at our RC flying field.  Then a farmer got to the field and cut them all down.  Why do farmers hate things that they haven't planted?
Whada have against cell phones?  Please disregard if this is a shitpost.  ;D

aldousburbank

People tell me on a regular basis that my porch has the best view ever. Every year I get to see several fireworks shows from here. The hound dog and I are watching a pretty good one right now. 

starrmtn001

Quote from: aldousburbank on July 02, 2016, 10:47:22 PM
People tell me on a regular basis that my porch has the best view ever. Every year I get to see several fireworks shows from here. The hound dog and I are watching a pretty good one right now.
I forgot about watching fireworks.  It has been so many years since I've been to a display that I just go to bed.  This year, I live in a place where I can see them from home.  Cool, huh?  ;) ;D

albrecht

Quote from: aldousburbank on July 02, 2016, 10:47:22 PM
That is nice. My old neighborhood was like ISIS territory with every redneck shooting stuff off for days on end, including me. It was awesome, also no streetlights or zoning so a free for all. But no fires or trouble. That brings me joy. Also this. Heading out the lake tomorrow and a GOOD HOA story. Yes, a good one. Some old guy used to buy fireworks and set off an awesome display for years in a development on the other side of the lake. Got a license for the good, big stuff even and loved it. He died and the HOA, in his honor, decided to keep up the tradition and uses the HOA dues to not just fine and pester people over their lawn or their dog off leash or some crap but to buy a crap load of fireworks and set them off. Everyone on their lawn, or better, on their boat floating in the lake a night gets to watch them, and between, the stars. Good times. First time I ever been praising an HOA. Ever.

aldousburbank

Quote from: starrmtn001 on July 02, 2016, 10:54:53 PM
I forgot about watching fireworks.  It has been so many years since I've been to a display that I just go to bed.  This year, I live in a place where I can see them from home.  Cool, huh?  ;) ;D

Where did you move to?

starrmtn001

Quote from: aldousburbank on July 02, 2016, 10:58:25 PM
Where did you move to?
Montrose proper.  Lived about 30 minutes south, out of town.

Dr. MD MD

Starr's legs. Nice gams, lady!  ;) ;)  :P

I like firework shows organized by small cities or big cities or during special events.  Primal.  Analog.  Helps get people off their phone for a bit - BOOM -  and to notice the pronounced difference between the speed of light and the speed of sound.

What I am not a fan of are the many neighbors in the rural area where I live, attempting to put on their own display of fire power.

In that aspect, I'm just a grouchy old stick in the mud.  :)

whoozit

Headed on a journey to Newfoundland on Friday.  Salmon fishing Sunday through Friday in an isolated spot with no phones or internet.  Can't wait.

Quote from: whoozit on July 03, 2016, 09:50:08 AM
Headed on a journey to Newfoundland on Friday.  Salmon fishing Sunday through Friday in an isolated spot with no phones or internet.  Can't wait.

And people say Heaven doesn't exist.

ItsOver

Quote from: whoozit on July 03, 2016, 09:50:08 AM
"Whut about me?"

starrmtn001

The ultimate way to exit. ;)  ;D ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNgvf6GJgxw

(Just don't open my chute, heh heh).

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: starrmtn001 on July 03, 2016, 12:55:50 PM
The ultimate way to exit. ;)  ;D ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNgvf6GJgxw

(Just don't open my chute, heh heh).

It's not the fall that will kill you, it's that sudden stop at the end.  :'(

starrmtn001

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 03, 2016, 01:33:01 PM
It's not the fall that will kill you, it's that sudden stop at the end.  :'(

I bet you were the smartest kid in school.  Weren't you? ::)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: starrmtn001 on July 03, 2016, 01:35:23 PM
I bet you were the smartest kid in school.  Weren't you? ::)

Hardly!  ::)

Though they always kept telling me my ass was smart for some reason.  ???

starrmtn001

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 03, 2016, 01:57:23 PM
Hardly!  ::)

Though they always kept telling me my ass was smart for some reason.  ???
Yer ass huh?  Tell me moar. ;)

The Joy of Reading While Flying
(A Cryptic Triptych Transmission)
by Camazotz (the) Automat

1st Gear:

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King (2015)

His novels can be hit or miss for me (mostly hits), but I have never disliked his short story collections.  This one - his sixth - is no exception.  Despite my having only scratched the surface, I can tell it's a keeper.  I have a sixth sense about things sometimes. 

Like that time I correctly predicted that one of my neighbor's cows would give birth to a two-headed black calf that shared a dozen blue-white eyes.  A crown of peepers like you've never seen.

The calf survived and thrives, but he is mercilessly mocked by his peers, and you should see the optometrist bills.

But I have little doubt that the Divine Bovine will one day rule the valley with his dodeca-dimensional gaze.  I have been getting on his good side.

Now, about this book ...

2nd Gear:

A contents listing to entice the curious:

0.) Introduction
1.) Mile 81
2.) Premium Harmony
3.) Batman and Robin Have an Altercation
4.) The Dune
5.) Bad Little Kid
6.) A Death
7.) The Bone Church
8.) Morality
9.) Afterlife
10.) Ur
11.) Herman Wouk Is Still Alive
12.) Under the Weather
13.) Blockade Billy
14.) Mister Yummy
15.) Tommy
16.) The Little Green God of Agony
17.) That Bus Is Another World
18.) Obits
19.) Drunken Fireworks
20.) Summer Thunder

The first thing I noticed was the lack of a dedication at the front of the book.  I soon discovered he lists a separate dedication at the end of each story.  There's also an individual preface/explanation before each work, providing background/origin information.  In one such introduction, King mentions the effect(s) of dropping acid while in college. 

By having the fiction riveted together with King's comments and individual dedications, it results in an enjoyable and immersive reading experience. 

And because he interjects his nonfiction voice between the stories, this is one of those books that can dissolve the tenuous veil between worlds and allow you to suspend your disbelief.

Not unlike rubbing your eyeball against a certain species of toad that excretes hallucinogenic Godhead juice. 

Praise Joe Bob.

3rd Gear:

I am due at the airport later tonight, just after sunset.  I have a stop on the way, so am hitting the road sooner than I had planned.  Aunt CC is providing my "Last Supper" as it were, before I depart this vast wasteland, and I can't afford to miss out on that!  Some longtime members here may be aware that I regularly disappear this time of year to go live for a protracted amount of time on a picturesque island to write travel reviews, restaurant reviews, and book reviews - all to earn/justify my room and board.  I also will tap out Camazotzian prose while there, filling in any empty spaces one typically encounters in island time.  All of that may or may not be only half true.  I typically borrow the sage green IBM Selectric II from the cleaning girls. Once upon a long time ago, the machine was used at the front desk.  (It's now in perpetual storage on a high shelf in the cleaning supplies closet.  I like to think they don't throw it away because they know I will ask for it.  Always tip your housekeepers/maids.) 

All of this may or may not happen, depending on if they still have the machine.  If this is the year the machine disappears, I may have to - God help me - type my island material on a MacBook Air.  But what is undeniable is that I have a ritual of carrying books with me when I travel.  Taking the Stephen King book was not so much a choice than it was a Calvinistic knife of predestination being held at my throat.  Electronic books are convenient, but there's nothing like a bundled brick of John D. MacDonald paperbacks or a nice new heavy hardcover from a favorite author to help sink the plane if it goes down over the ocean.   

I have forced myself to not read too much of this latest King collection in the last few days, as I wanted to savor it while occupying that sleek aerocoffin cruising at 36,000 feet. 

Appropriate (or perhaps prophetic) to this day, the penultimate story in this collection is entitled, "Drunken Fireworks."

It will be a relaxing red-eye traverse, perfectly in synch with tonight's blind New Moon - the plane a metal stake seemingly piercing a coiling orbital darkness - a shadowy presence that I associate with an encroaching evil once so vividly described to me when I was an impressionable ten-year-old.  (God bless you, Mrs. Hagel, wherever you are, for reading Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time aloud to the class.)

Taking a break from King's book, these tired red-eyes will occasionally glance out the window and downward to witness a few lingering chemical-hydra firework displays - explosions that, if I didn't know any better, could be the glimmerings of the end of the world. 

Absit omen.

B.C.N.U.

-C.A.
2016 July 4
New Moon

~ )))BOOM!((( ~

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 04, 2016, 04:19:52 PM
The Joy of Reading While Flying
(A Cryptic Triptych Transmission)
by Camazotz (the) Automat

1st Gear:

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King (2015)

His novels can be hit or miss for me (mostly hits), but I have never disliked his short story collections.  This one - his sixth - is no exception.  Despite my having only scratched the surface, I can tell it's a keeper.  I have a sixth sense about things sometimes. 

Like that time I correctly predicted that one of my neighbor's cows would give birth to a two-headed black calf that shared a dozen blue-white eyes.  A crown of peepers like you've never seen.

The calf survived and thrives, but he is mercilessly mocked by his peers, and you should see the optometrist bills.

But I have little doubt that the Divine Bovine will one day rule the valley with his dodeca-dimensional gaze.  I have been getting on his good side.

Now, about this book ...

2nd Gear:

A contents listing to entice the curious:

0.) Introduction
1.) Mile 81
2.) Premium Harmony
3.) Batman and Robin Have an Altercation
4.) The Dune
5.) Bad Little Kid
6.) A Death
7.) The Bone Church
8.) Morality
9.) Afterlife
10.) Ur
11.) Herman Wouk Is Still Alive
12.) Under the Weather
13.) Blockade Billy
14.) Mister Yummy
15.) Tommy
16.) The Little Green God of Agony
17.) That Bus Is Another World
18.) Obits
19.) Drunken Fireworks
20.) Summer Thunder

The first thing I noticed was the lack of a dedication at the front of the book.  I soon discovered he lists a separate dedication at the end of each story.  There's also an individual preface/explanation before each work, providing background/origin information.  In one such introduction, King mentions the effect(s) of dropping acid while in college. 

By having the fiction riveted together with King's comments and individual dedications, it results in an enjoyable and immersive reading experience. 

And because he interjects his nonfiction voice between the stories, this is one of those books that can dissolve the tenuous veil between worlds and allow you to suspend your disbelief.

Not unlike rubbing your eyeball against a certain species of toad that excretes hallucinogenic Godhead juice. 

Praise Joe Bob.

3rd Gear:

I am due at the airport later tonight, just after sunset.  I have a stop on the way, so am hitting the road sooner than I had planned.  Aunt CC is providing my "Last Supper" as it were, before I depart this vast wasteland, and I can't afford to miss out on that!  Some longtime members here may be aware that I regularly disappear this time of year to go live for a protracted amount of time on a picturesque island to write travel reviews, restaurant reviews, and book reviews - all to earn/justify my room and board.  I also will tap out Camazotzian prose while there, filling in any empty spaces one typically encounters in island time.  All of that may or may not be only half true.  I typically borrow the sage green IBM Selectric II from the cleaning girls. Once upon a long time ago, the machine was used at the front desk.  (It's now in perpetual storage on a high shelf in the cleaning supplies closet.  I like to think they don't throw it away because they know I will ask for it.  Always tip your housekeepers/maids.) 

All of this may or may not happen, depending on if they still have the machine.  If this is the year the machine disappears, I may have to - God help me - type my island material on a MacBook Air.  But what is undeniable is that I have a ritual of carrying books with me when I travel.  Taking the Stephen King book was not so much a choice than it was a Calvinistic knife of predestination being held at my throat.  Electronic books are convenient, but there's nothing like a bundled brick of John D. MacDonald paperbacks or a nice new heavy hardcover from a favorite author to help sink the plane if it goes down over the ocean.   

I have forced myself to not read too much of this latest King collection in the last few days, as I wanted to savor it while occupying that sleek aerocoffin cruising at 36,000 feet. 

Appropriate (or perhaps prophetic) to this day, the penultimate story in this collection is entitled, "Drunken Fireworks."

It will be a relaxing red-eye traverse, perfectly in synch with tonight's blind New Moon - the plane a metal stake seemingly piercing a coiling orbital darkness - a shadowy presence that I associate with an encroaching evil once so vividly described to me when I was an impressionable ten-year-old.  (God bless you, Mrs. Hagel, wherever you are, for reading Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time aloud to the class.)

Taking a break from King's book, these tired red-eyes will occasionally glance out the window and downward to witness a few lingering chemical-hydra firework displays - explosions that, if I didn't know any better, could be the glimmerings of the end of the world. 

Absit omen.

B.C.N.U.

-C.A.
2016 July 4
New Moon

~ )))BOOM!((( ~

Have fun, Cam, and please bring me back a couple of pairs of snazzy shorts and a bag of onions if you have room in your suitcase!

I bought a random, unlabeled cassette tape at the used bookstore for 25 cents.
Put it in the tape player-Weird Al Yankovic in 3D.

Canada and Canadians.  Even though the simple, rustic ways of our stolid, sturdy, poutine slurping sap tapping northern neighbors tend to charm and amuse us, in all seriousness I assert that the world would be a much better place if every other country emulated their pragmatic, self-effacing example and beat their swords into hockey sticks.

Kicking back and over-serving myself in the backyard in the wee hours of a cool summer night while listening, through the magic of the interwebs, to a psychedelic rock show called Adventures in Plasticland broadcasting from a tiny community radio station in far away Ontario. No complaints about First World problems here.  :)

GravitySucks

Gluten free banana pancakes, cooked to perfection by my sister.

aldousburbank

I know Uncle Duke begat a proper thread but this seems to fit well in this one-
#yayFacebookexploded

ROCKET BLAST SpaceX rocket EXPLODES at Cape Canaveral space centre â€" blowing up Facebook’s £150MILLION internet satellite

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1710969/elon-musk-explosions-heard-at-cape-canaveral-space-centre-during-test-firing-of-spacex-rocket/

Using the DEWALT reciprocating saw today for a demolition project/task.