• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell and global warming

Started by Northcoaster, September 16, 2011, 10:20:16 PM

Quote from: Lovely Bones on September 19, 2011, 05:59:50 PM

"Contributing to" would be the operative "weasel words" in your post. 

You might want to, I don't know, actually read my post before accusing me of using weasel words.

I clearly said contributes to warming "an atmosphere", not "Earth's current atmosphere".  There are any number of scientifically proven (there are those pesky concepts that seem to anoy you, "science" and "proof") ways in which a planetary body's atmosphere can be warmed or cooled.  Intense geological activity, typically in the form of extreme volcanic activity, sudden and dramatic heating up or cooling of a star, asteroid impacts, and yes, changes in the levels of greenhouse gases (up or down).  Most of those things occur early in a planet's life, or early or late in a solar systems life.  You can make wild speculations, as you seem inclined to, about the science being inconclusive, but you certainly haven't brought any scientific facts to bear.  That story about the polar bears - that's an anecdote, not science, by the way.

But the fact is, none of those things is happening on earth, other than an increase the greenhouse gases, caused by man, that are becoming trapped in our atmoshpere, causing a greenhouse effect - also called global warming.

The rest of your post makes it abundantly clear that you are not interested in the scientific facts at all, and are only interested in how they might impact your beliefs, idealogies, and political world view.  I never, ever referred to "nasty fossil fuels".  As Mike posted early, our entire civilisation is fueled by oil.  All of it.  In terms of my personal orbit, it is directly related to how I feed my family - I work in the oil and gas industry (not an offshoot, but BIG, BIG OIL.  Really, really big.)  And I drive a great big, 425 horse power HEMI Charger to and from said job.  But unlike you, I can seperate my politics, my belief system, and the FACTS OF SCIENCE.

Want to know how we find the black gold, and get it out of the ground?   Using SCIENCE!!!!! And fossil fuels!  Yep, we burn the stuff in significant quantities in the process of extracting it, refining it, shipping it, etc.  And as the stuff gets harder to find (because there is less of it that we can reach, unless you doubt that science as well), we expend an ever increasing about of energy to get less back.

I'm done trying to educate you.  Your position is like a belief in unicorns - it is pointless for me to try to prove to you they don't exist, when you choose to "believe" that they do.  Especially when you believe that an absence of readily available unicorns is because of the commies, or the tree huggers, or the dam gummint trying to keep you from your god-given right to unicorn ownership.

Lunger

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on September 19, 2011, 05:28:37 PM

Step 1:  Pull your car into your garage, and leave it running.
Step 2: Close the garage door, sit in your car, open your car windows.
Step 3: Breathe deeply for the next hour or so.
Step 4: Let us know if you survive.

This is a bullshit analogy.  It has nothing to do with reality.

onan

Quote from: Lunger on September 22, 2011, 08:33:09 AM

This is a bullshit analogy.  It has nothing to do with reality.

It may not be the best analogy but his science makes more sense than arguing how warm Al Gore keeps his house.

Frys Girl

Who's to say what the climate of Earth should be anyway?

Also, until anyone can produce ice core samples from thousands and millions of years ago, the ones from the present aren't enough to tax me more. Fuck this green movement. It's a scam. If you are moved, then go on and buy a junk Prius or take the metro/bus/bike. I am an animal lover and I don't buy chicken from cages. Let the market decide. If people want to be green, then the market will produce products and services that are green, but don't force us.

And yes, the temperature of Al Gore's homes are relevant. He tells people on the talk circuit to do the opposite of what he does. He lives comfortably, and people who want to enjoy homes they work hard for will have to work double to afford the lifestyle they currently have. Fuck Al Gore and this movement.

fabucat

Quote from: Northcoaster on September 18, 2011, 10:41:20 PM
Someone's picking on you? Maybe saying something about your cats and how they're too good for you? Poor you.

I don't doubt that my cats are too good for me.  Anyway, feel free to pick on me, as I was particularly tough on you.  But seriously why are you so upset that you have one point of disagreement with Mr. Bell?  I've got many points that I disagree with Art on, and obviously, I'm not upset, because I'm still a fan.  But when Art holds *one* liberal view, the righties get indigestion. 

BTW, this is yet another post in which I don't bash Cheney & Bush, lol. 

fabucat

Quote from: Frys Girl on September 22, 2011, 07:06:00 PM
Who's to say what the climate of Earth should be anyway?

Also, until anyone can produce ice core samples from thousands and millions of years ago, the ones from the present aren't enough to tax me more. Fuck this green movement. It's a scam. If you are moved, then go on and buy a junk Prius or take the metro/bus/bike. I am an animal lover and I don't buy chicken from cages. Let the market decide. If people want to be green, then the market will produce products and services that are green, but don't force us.

And yes, the temperature of Al Gore's homes are relevant. He tells people on the talk circuit to do the opposite of what he does. He lives comfortably, and people who want to enjoy homes they work hard for will have to work double to afford the lifestyle they currently have. Fuck Al Gore and this movement.

I suppose it's only God's business what the Earth's climate is.  But if things change drastically, most of the current species will be extinct, including ours. 

The ad hominem attacks on Gore only show the weakness of the deniers arguments.  I could attack Ron Paul, and mention my concern about his ties with Christian Dominionists, such as Gary North, but God forbid if I should *ever* defame St. Paul in front of his congregants.  (Actually, I think that I'd like Dr. Paul as a person, even though I disagree with him a lot). 

As for worrying about paying high taxes, do you realize that Americans on average pay a lower tax rate than any other nation in the developed world?  So kwitcherbitchen. 

P.S.  Yet another message in which I do not bash Mssrs. Bush and Cheney.

Northcoaster

Quote from: fabucat on September 22, 2011, 07:29:26 PM
I don't doubt that my cats are too good for me.  Anyway, feel free to pick on me, as I was particularly tough on you.  But seriously why are you so upset that you have one point of disagreement with Mr. Bell?  I've got many points that I disagree with Art on, and obviously, I'm not upset, because I'm still a fan.  But when Art holds *one* liberal view, the righties get indigestion. 

BTW, this is yet another post in which I don't bash Cheney & Bush, lol.
It's not as simple as "one" disagreement. It's a large disagreement, maybe the biggest one. Anyways, I question if it's even a disagreement. This goes to my original question which so many have ignored or forgotten.

Looks like even the skeptics are coming around.  This study was partially funded by influential conservatives:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/skeptics-own-study-finds-climate-change-real-says-164634360.html

analog kid

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on October 31, 2011, 01:49:00 PM
Looks like even the skeptics are coming around.  This study was partially funded by influential conservatives:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/skeptics-own-study-finds-climate-change-real-says-164634360.html

Science 1, Wingnuts 0

b_dubb

it's funny.  people who dismiss climate warming also frequently dismiss evolution.  coincidence?

A leading member of Prof Muller’s team has accused him of  trying to mislead the public by hiding the fact that BEST’s research shows global warming has stopped.
Prof Judith Curry, who chairs the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at America’s prestigious Georgia Institute of Technology, said that Prof Muller’s claim that he has proven global warming sceptics wrong was also a ‘huge mistake’, with no scientific basis. Prof Curry said, the project’s research data show there has been no increase in world temperatures since the end of the Nineties.
Prof Curry is a distinguished climate researcher with more than 30 years experience and the second named co-author of the BEST project’s four research papers. She said this affair had to be compared to the notorious ‘Climategate’ scandal two years ago.

A report published by the Global Warming Policy Foundation includes a graph of world average temperatures over the past ten years, drawn from the BEST project’s data and revealed on its website.
This graph shows that the trend of the last decade is absolutely flat, with no increase at all â€" though the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere have carried on rising relentlessly.
‘This is nowhere near what the  climate models were predicting,’ Prof Curry said. ‘Whatever it is that’s going on here, it doesn’t look like it’s being dominated by CO2.’

pate

Quote from: b_dubb on October 31, 2011, 06:35:41 PM
it's funny.  people who dismiss climate warming also frequently dismiss evolution.  coincidence?

Yep, cretinists, always the cretinists with you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncbEucjsNFU

Lunger

Quote from: b_dubb on October 31, 2011, 06:35:41 PM
I don't know about Evolution, but exactly where is it warming?