• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151204 - Art Bell Open Lines - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, December 04, 2015, 04:13:10 PM

Weirdoradio

I'd actually pay good money to have Hoagie do a fast blast style show.

...I don't think he'd get enough callers to be able to get through a segment like that.

trostol

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 05, 2015, 02:00:39 AM
Oh, you are talking about Skynryd?  My bad.  My dad was an insurance adjustor for that plane crash.

yeah lol Skynyrd

Rocky4228

Quote from: norland2424 on December 05, 2015, 02:00:41 AM
Stop jizzing on ur keyboard bro lol.
Please, I use a sock.  It's wireless problems.   ;D

Scully

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record (for those of you old enough to remember records), but that was a really fun show, drunks, crazies, and all. 

I love Art Bell!  He is SO quick to react in an appropriate and unoffensive way to whatever is said, and I'm SO tired of other people who aren't.  ;)

WOTR

Quote from: Scully on December 05, 2015, 02:04:43 AM
I'm beginning to sound like a broken record (for those of you old enough to remember records), but that was a really fun show, drunks, crazies, and all. 

I love Art Bell!  He is SO quick to react in an appropriate and unoffensive way to whatever is said, and I'm SO tired of other people who aren't.  ;)
You are not around enough to sound like a broken record... But it is good to see you again.

Robert

Quote from: WOTR on December 05, 2015, 12:31:00 AMAre we all bloody glad yet that Art refused to bend on his demand for his return of being able to play his music for bumpers?  Some excellent picks again tonight.
His demand respecting whom?  All those musical pieces are available for non-exclusive license, like stock photos.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 05, 2015, 01:29:25 AM
As the religion grew, the Roman/Byzantine empire did away with all the subversive stuff and molded it into a compliant state religion. Internal ideas of peace are a good thing if you're an emperor hoping to keep everyone in line. There are no Christians in this world, those people died in the first century. All that we have are people that follow a mythos.

That's a pretty facile explanation for one of the greatest historical ironies, basing a state religion on subversion.  It must have seemed unthinkably revolutionary at the time -- the emperor abandoning his own state cult for that of a political martyr, albeit One who lived hundreds of years in the past.  We do tend to enshrine our revolutionaries once they're good and dead.

The thing that made it possible was the whole "Kingdom of God" idea in Jesus's teachings that separated out spiritual things from the material, a very Eastern concept that forces ordinary people to consider material reality in light of a higher, spiritual one.  Without it, religious practices are just good-luck rituals with pragmatic ends -- think traditional Chinese joss stuff.

Robert

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on December 05, 2015, 01:26:20 AMIt's true.  Art needs to relax his standards on the audio side.  We can hear and understand more than he realizes.
This is a general characteristic of talk show hosts.  They tend not to tolerate mere imperfections in sound quality.

Rich Conaty on The Big Broadcast (WFUV) is something -- he makes flubs on the air & apparently dumps them so seamlessly that the only way we know they're there is that he laughs & calls att'n to them.  He'll be talking & then suddenly, "...hahaha, there I go again...."  I wonder if we'd even pick up the mistakes if he left them in, and it seems self defeating to edit them out so well only to point them out anyway.

Robert

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 05, 2015, 01:49:55 AMI wonder what would happen if every caller on fast blast started their call with "Hi Art.  How are you?"
That's something David Brudnoy didn't get.  He complained when phoners-in launched right into the substance w/o pleasantries!  As if we were brusque on purpose rather than sensing the exigencies of broadcasting.

AppealPlay

Quote from: Morgus on December 05, 2015, 01:55:14 AM
Art should open a special "JC impersonator" line one night...

Great idea!  HOW DARE YEW ART BELL?!?! ;D

michio

Quote from: Weirdoradio on December 05, 2015, 01:50:06 AM
LOL
YES
JET FUEL CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS

A++

If the caller was referring to the WTC twin towers, the fire didn't need to melt steel. It needed to heat the steel to where it weakened enough to structurally fail. Fire insulation on the beams near impact and explosion area would likely have been blown off, exposing it directly to the fire/heat. Infobores.com

https://youtu.be/CGsOkT__M7Y