• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151127 - Open Lines - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by Sandra Kristen, November 27, 2015, 11:00:15 PM

Quote from: Donald Noory on November 27, 2015, 11:12:23 PM
I suggest people call and fart into the phone. It will probably be more interesting than the stupid comments and questions that invariably come in.
Art: "Hello you're on the air"

Caller: "BR-R-R-R-R-RR-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-P"

Art: "Caller, turn off your device"

Caller: "Damn ...  This phone stinks"

FLLFlash

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 28, 2015, 12:05:07 AM
I'm ready to be disappointed, but "communications" isn't a euphemism is it?

Sorry. Your attempted extrapolation is a fail. I have had personal, but not "in person" communications with Ms. Amy. I am an occasional contributor of "neeuws" items.

Ciardelo

Quote from: FLLFlash on November 29, 2015, 10:43:13 AM
Sorry. Your attempted extrapolation is a fail. I have had personal, but not "in person" communications with Ms. Amy. I am an occasional contributor of "neeuws" items.
One can always dream then. I have heard her normal speaking voice so perhaps her "neeuws" pronouncements are so she won't be recognized down at the Piggly Wiggly ordering some deli meat. I know how I'd feel about random people stopping me in the street asking if I know Art Bell.

norland2424

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 29, 2015, 03:57:40 PM
One can always dream then. I have heard her normal speaking voice so perhaps her "neeuws" pronouncements are so she won't be recognized down at the Piggly Wiggly ordering some deli meat. I know how I'd feel about random people stopping me in the street asking if I know Art Bell.

Lol im sure random people wouldn't know who art even is

Ciardelo

Quote from: norland2424 on November 29, 2015, 04:07:27 PM
Lol im sure random people wouldn't know who art even is
ha! You got me there. Every time I talk about Art Bell to any of my daywalker friends they are like "yeah, um, that's nice." lol

norland2424

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 29, 2015, 04:13:25 PM
ha! You got me there. Every time I talk about Art Bell to any of my daywalker friends they are like "yeah, um, that's nice." lol

Yea when i told a close friend how excited i was that Art was coming back her first reaction was who, then when i explained the show she pretty much made these faces  ??? ::)

CornyCrow

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 29, 2015, 03:57:40 PM
I once took a speech class, not pubic speaking, but speech.  Her pronunciation of news is considered more correct than 'noose', and the same pronunciation is found in 'Tuesday'.  Also, the 'ru' should be heard in 'February', as well as the 'nes' in Wednesday.   

The thing that often bothers me (it's pronounced 'ofen') is when people do not pronounce the first 't' in words like 'internet' or all the 't's in 'intercontinental'. 

This class was preparing people for public speaking work, commercials and the like.  Women were told to lower the register of their voices to avoid sounding shrill. 

Amy, to my ear, is much easier to listen to than was Leo.  Leo was harsh. 

zeebo

Quote from: Segundus on November 29, 2015, 05:57:22 PM
..The thing that often bothers me (it's pronounced 'ofen') is when people do not pronounce the first 't' in words like 'internet'...

I thought it was pronounced 'inner-net' since it's in yer computer.

Auslandia

I don't understand why she can't just read the news in a normal voice

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 28, 2015, 01:47:01 AM
Umm. I think it wasn't Caddyshack man :) Unless you're doing a cool internet meme thing, then I totally get it.
Just perusing the threads - missed these replies Friday -   Not Caddyshack, Animal House - My bad

zeebo

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on November 30, 2015, 01:55:24 AM
Just perusing the threads - missed these replies Friday -   Not Caddyshack, Animal House - My bad

Thank you for correcting the record, sir.  Being from the same era/genre it was a pretty close call - other acceptable answers would have been Ghostbusters, Stripes, or Meatballs.

Ciardelo

Quote from: zeebo on November 30, 2015, 02:12:03 AM
Thank you for correcting the record, sir.  Being from the same era/genre it was a pretty close call - other acceptable answers would have been Ghostbusters, Stripes, or Meatballs.
Concurred. Seconded? The resolution passes with no opposition.

CornyCrow

Quote from: Auslandia on November 29, 2015, 07:15:22 PM
I don't know about Amy, but the normal voices of some women are really piercing.  They are too high pitched.  I once had a class which everyone dreaded to attend - daily.  The teaher's voice was high and LOUD and 45 minutes of listening to that would wear you out for the day.  Of course, if she were a tv voice, you could just try to tune her out, but here you were, in class, trying to listen hard to get information while she was torturing you. 

Woman (most) should lower their range if they have a job using the voice.  It's also healthier on the vocal chords and will enable you to speak for a longer time. 

CrazyLady

I know, I feel like I am getting news sexed!

zeebo

Quote from: CrazyLady on December 02, 2015, 01:33:24 PM
I know, I feel like I am getting news sexed! ...

Oh great, another thing the damn millennials probably came up with.  ::) ;)

Oculary

News sexed? Good, I've been waiting for an op to use this pic:

Gassy Man

Wow, this "psychologist" is just a jackass who can't bring himself to admit that some cultures just don't have the same criminal violence that ours does because, of course, that would undermine American (and western) exceptionalism. 

Ciardelo

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 03, 2015, 01:08:46 AM
Wow, this "psychologist" is just a jackass who can't bring himself to admit that some cultures just don't have the same criminal violence that ours does because, of course, that would undermine American (and western) exceptionalism.
What "psychologist"? Did you mean the picture of the dildo?

CornyCrow

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 03, 2015, 01:08:46 AM
The US is so large that we contain many cultures within the country.  Some of these eruptions are due to fragile people being allowed to walk among us - people who should be locked up. Couple that with a fairly rapid decline in our standard of living, and some people crack.  We are not accustomed to looking forward to a bleak future of jobs without advancement and declining fortunes for our children. 

VtaGeezer

Art...you da man!!!

I'd have said it last night but the callers had me so inspired I couldn't stop marching around the parlor singing "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" while doing the Manual of Arms with wifey's Swifter.

albrecht

Quote from: Segundus on December 03, 2015, 10:26:52 AM
The US is so large that we contain many cultures within the country.  Some of these eruptions are due to fragile people being allowed to walk among us - people who should be locked up. Couple that with a fairly rapid decline in our standard of living, and some people crack.  We are not accustomed to looking forward to a bleak future of jobs without advancement and declining fortunes for our children.
But open-borders and diversity is our strength? Remember the mantra!

VtaGeezer

I think she's improving. The affectation seems much less.   Perhaps reading the comments here. 

chefist

I really enjoyed the show last night...horrible circumstances for sure though...I was on hold for over 1.5 hours before I gave up trying to get in...I'm sure the lines were jammed last night!

albrecht

Quote from: chefist on December 03, 2015, 11:08:20 AM
I really enjoyed the show last night...horrible circumstances for sure though...I was on hold for over 1.5 hours before I gave up trying to get in...I'm sure the lines were jammed last night!
Same here. I hate that it takes awful events but Art Bell live with callers etc is so much better than the news covering such. The OKC shows were classics though an even worse terrorist and sad event. I won't call it "reporting" per se. Or maybe it is? Reporting all opinions, witnesses, conjectures, etc and there is always wild speculation, conspiracy theories, jingoism, etc but make great shows. I wasn't here in the US during 9/11 so not sure how he handled that terrorism but I hope we don't have anymore. But, classic radio and better than the 'news.'

SredniVashtar

Quote from: chefist on December 03, 2015, 11:08:20 AM

That's a pity. I heard he had a special "shoot 'em all and let God sort 'em out" line all ready for you, too.  ;)

ziznak

Quote from: VtaGeezer on December 03, 2015, 11:02:38 AM
I think she's improving. The affectation seems much less.   Perhaps reading the comments here. 
I think she's gotten much easier to listen to.

CornyCrow

Quote from: albrecht on December 03, 2015, 11:02:00 AM
But open-borders and diversity is our strength? Remember the mantra!
I can only see more jobs disappearing as time goes on.  Even tech jobs are being hit.  What do we do with all these extra people - especially when they don't particularly like us, but are here only for their economic well-being?  Maybe the government thinks they're a 'strength', in the hopes that their large numbers of offspring will keep social security afloat longer.  I don't understand it. 

Why should the West have fostered upon it large populations of people who are hostile to the West?  Why have our leaders seemed to have discussed this and made agreements to do this and then just dropped it on us, like a bomb?