• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151113 - Terrorism in Paris - Open Lines - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, November 13, 2015, 09:06:28 PM

GravitySucks

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on November 13, 2015, 11:17:48 PM
Well, the truth is norland, we're now facing the very real possibility that soon enough Islamic terrorists will get their hands on dirty bombs.  We better do every possible thing we can to prevent that.  You need to define Armageddon.  If they get their hands on enough materials, and plan it correctly, the strategic use of those dirty bombs could possibly bring on a large scale nuclear attack on some middle eastern targets, and then...  well, all bets are off when nuclear missiles are in the air.

Oh... Would "do every possible thing we can to prevent that" mean we might have to go in somewhere and perhaps even kill some people?

FLLFlash

Quote from: swordpoint9 on November 13, 2015, 11:15:07 PM
We all are. I have been in this fight since the first Gulf War and 2001 . I am here because I know the Homefront is totally undefended and has been for about 6 years!

Terrifying.

MABUSE

Schenck v. United States, 249 U.S. 47 (1919)
This argument is already settled by very good law.
**M**

norland2424

Quote from: Darth Sandra on November 13, 2015, 11:18:04 PM
That hasn't even been confirmed though. We don't know much expect there was a large scale terrorist operation. Everything is speculation now. It's still possible, unlikely but possible, that this wasn't even done by Islamists. Everyone thought Islamists were responsible for the 2011 Norway terrorist attack and it turned out to be a right wing white nut named Anders Behring Breivik.

It could've been something related to North Africa. Speculation, right now, is dangerous. Even more so when people act as though it's fact.

It was 5 guys, three shooters and two who detonated suicide vests, which makes me think it wasn't your normal killing spree like you see here in the usa.

Uncle Duke

The French have been fighting Islamic terrorists since the 50s in Algeria, the US is the one who is late to the table.  Highly recommend the book "A Savage War of Peace" by Alistar Horne.  Had our political/military planners read that book before going into Afghanistan and Iraq, things might look very different today.

norland2424

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 13, 2015, 11:20:42 PM
Oh... Would "do every possible thing we can to prevent that" mean we might have to go in somewhere and perhaps even kill some people?

That would be a war crime buddy  ;)

swordpoint9

Quote from: norland2424 on November 13, 2015, 11:22:32 PM
It was 5 guys, three shooters and two who detonated suicide vests, which makes me think it wasn't your normal killing spree like you see here in the usa.
Tongue firmly in cheek me thinks .....

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: norland2424 on November 13, 2015, 11:20:32 PM
Do you really think russia will send nukes our way if we nuke Iraq or syria?, not that many countries beside usa, russia or china has the capacity to well start a big nuke war.

Our way?  I didn't say that.

FLLFlash

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on November 13, 2015, 11:17:48 PM
Well, the truth is norland, we're now facing the very real possibility that soon enough Islamic terrorists will get their hands on dirty bombs.  We better do every possible thing we can to prevent that.  You need to define Armageddon.  If they get their hands on enough materials, and plan it correctly, the strategic use of those dirty bombs could possibly bring on a large scale nuclear attack on some middle eastern targets, and then...  well, all bets are off when nuclear missiles are in the air.

Well that would involve finding them and killing them wherever they are. Is that OK with you?

swordpoint9

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 13, 2015, 11:23:05 PM
The French have been fighting Islamic terrorists since the 50s in Algeria, the US is the one who is late to the table.  Highly recommend the book "A Savage War of Peace" by Alistar Horne.  Had our political/military planners read that book before going into Afghanistan and Iraq, things might look very different today.
Yup ! Great book BTW

MABUSE

France is about the size of Texas.
True, but back in May when Islamic Terrorists decided to attack a cartoon festival here in Texas,
they discovered that we are not sheep to the slaughter.
In tactical terms it was not only an epic FAIL for the terrorists, but also a humiliation.
One good old DPS trooper faced off against an AK armed jihadi with his service pistol and took care of business.
**M**

JamesMcDonald

The fact that this guy is fixating on Assad proves that he is deluded or has an agenda.

Lt.Uhura

It's interesting this guest mentions the spread of terrorism has escalated due to social media.  Earlier today I was thinking the opposite--how social media has united us in empathy for one another.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: swordpoint9 on November 13, 2015, 11:15:07 PM
We all are. I have been in this fight since the first Gulf War and 2001 . I am here because I know the Homefront is totally undefended and has been for about 6 years!
Like NYC and DC were so well defended in 2001.

Quote from: norland2424 on November 13, 2015, 11:22:32 PM

There are a lot of far right wackos in Europe right now. I just would rather let the facts become out before we speculate. The fact that Daesh hasn't claimed responsibility certainly leads me to believe it was probably home grown by citizens. While they were probably Islamists I just don't like how we all rush to judge before we have the facts and complete picture.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: FLLFlash on November 13, 2015, 11:24:54 PM
Well that would involve finding them and killing them wherever they are. Is that OK with you?

Well, FLLFlash is it a better idea to find out who they are and kill them, or wait until they kill your loved ones?  Like, while they're in a movie theater, or at the ball game or maybe watching a concert?  Your call.

swordpoint9

Quote from: MABUSE on November 13, 2015, 11:25:17 PM
France is about the size of Texas.
True, but back in May when Islamic Terrorists decided to attack a cartoon festival here in Texas,
they discovered that we are not sheep to the slaughter.
In tactical terms it was not only an epic FAIL for the terrorists, but also a humiliation.
One good old DPS trooper faced off against an AK armed jihadi with his service pistol and took care of business.
**M**
Yup . Some facts wrong but spot on thought process  !

norland2424

Quote from: swordpoint9 on November 13, 2015, 11:24:05 PM
Tongue firmly in cheek me thinks .....

I know you have been in the sand box for over a decade now, what group do you think did it, and dont take this the wrong way, its genuine question since you would know more then alot of us do.

K_Dubb

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on November 13, 2015, 11:25:28 PM
The fact that this guy is fixating on Assad proves that he is deluded or has an agenda.

He's just falling back on the strategy where we prop up a client strongman to keep order.  In his defense, it's the only thing that has seemed to work.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on November 13, 2015, 11:25:50 PM
It's interesting this guest mentions the spread of terrorism has escalated due to social media.  Earlier today I was thinking the opposite--how social media has united us in empathy for one another.

I think his point was it's allowing them to use those tools to better communicate with each other.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 13, 2015, 11:23:05 PM
Horne is a good author (LOVE his stuff on Napoleon, "How Far Austerlitz" is one my favorites.) but, Uncle, they also didnt go as far as maybe they should. Look to Philippians etc or etc. The French "right" at the time could've forbade this. (You will recall, I'm sure, the intrigue and almost coups at that time from them.) If they would've won? Algiers, solved, no immigrants, no imbedded fifth column in the suburbs and even, maybe, a balance for Germany and EU (or a more acceleralted Germany-based EU?) Who knows?

swordpoint9

Quote from: VtaGeezer on November 13, 2015, 11:25:52 PM
Like NYC and DC were so well defended in 2001.
Epic Fail . I have my thoughts but they are mine Sir ....

Uncle Duke

Sorry Art, not impressed with the "expert".  He's not much of an upgrade from Craig Hulet over at George's show.

norland2424

Quote from: Darth Sandra on November 13, 2015, 11:26:05 PM
There are a lot of far right wackos in Europe right now. I just would rather let the facts become out before we speculate. The fact that Daesh hasn't claimed responsibility certainly leads me to believe it was probably home grown by citizens. While they were probably Islamists I just don't like how we all rush to judge before we have the facts and complete picture.

I get what ya mean tho, and i wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't those assholes.