• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151110 - Jim Elvidge - Digital Simulated Reality - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, November 10, 2015, 04:40:50 PM

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: QuantumMystics on November 11, 2015, 12:03:12 AM
I just don't see how in a simulated universe or what did he call it, doesn't matter. I don't see why one would need to simulate death and decay and suffering to "make it seem more real" you could live forever and that too would seem very real as well, why would it seem less real? NDE's at least for me lend to me the possibility that we do go on for a very long time, why, I have no idea. The biological physical capsule might as well be called a biological simulator, why does it have to seem digital in nature? Informational existence in these bodies seem kind of fun but limited, in a simulation why would any limitation make much sense? Unless we already exist in a far less limited manner and this maybe a life like a deep sea diving trip or something of that nature, we put on this suit, this fleshy body bag of sorts.

If your aim is to simulate a universe using AI's, why would one care what happens to the AI's? They would want accuracy in order to mimic their own condition. Or if the simulation is intended for some other purpose, then for all we know, there is an afterlife programmed in where we sit in heaven and look at a god and get rewarded. Or we roast in hades for eternity.

Donald Noory

Quote from: Barfly on November 11, 2015, 12:03:02 AM
I'm a Atheist, I dont care what others believe in, as long as you dont push it on me OR make it part of the Government.
Religious tax loopholes irritate the shit out of me

Are you sayin' Scientology shouldn't be classified as a religion for tax purposes?

Lilith

Quote from: jazmunda on November 11, 2015, 12:00:53 AM
... I really like topics that make you think philosophically. .

Me Too! They are my favorite topics.

maren

Quote from: Barfly on November 11, 2015, 12:03:02 AM
I'm a Atheist, I dont care what others believe in, as long as you dont push it on me OR make it part of the Government.
Religious tax loopholes irritate the shit out of me

Religious tax loopholes are no different than any other big business loopholes -- they all piss me off.

Dick Grinder

Quote from: Ghost Nutter on November 11, 2015, 12:01:55 AM
Art is a moody blues fan..his bumpers of their music made me get into that band

I've always loved Art's bumpers.

Zenman

Quote from: jazmunda on November 11, 2015, 12:00:53 AM
I like him too and I really like topics that make you think philosophically. I don't necessarily believe we're living in a matrix but it makes you think what if.

Yes. Same here, but he's got me no longer dismissing the Matrix Reality idea, which is actually kind of cool.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Zenman on November 11, 2015, 12:08:36 AM
Yes. Same here, but he's got me no longer dismissing the Matrix Reality idea, which is actually kind of cool.

The funny thing is that it's impossible to dismiss it. Even if you're a scientist. It's a possibility that cannot ever be dismissed, but it can potentially be confirmed.

AppealPlay

Well, he's a compromised engineer not a scientist but either way time travel rules.

FLLFlash

Quote from: Barfly on November 10, 2015, 11:55:43 PM
I'm fine with oblivion, i welcome it actually.
i wont know when im dead..cus..well im dead!

I'm constantly in sufficient pain that "switched off" would be a huge improvement.

Coffeeman

"...meditate and push packets..."

This dude went to Cornell. This dude went to Cornell. This dude went to Cornell. This dude went to Cornell. This dude went to Cornell. This dude went to Cornell. This dude went to Cornell.

Just keep repeating it...just keep repeating it...just keep repeating it...

Barfly

Quote from: FLLFlash on November 11, 2015, 12:04:12 AM
Indians (PC read: Native Americans) had/have a lower fear of death. Something admirable about that. I don't have a fear of death per se. I do have a fear of a long, lingering painful death.
I have done just about everything i wanted to legally do (and some not so legal) and I'm ready to die anytime, no regrets.
I will be 60 on Friday, I'm healthy, fairly fit and the only thing that makes me happy these days is riding one of my Harleys, its the only time i relax.
I will likely die on a bike, its almost happened a few times, i have been riding since i was 16 legally, My dad propped me up on his Harley gas tank when i was 2 years old.
I'm ready to go, i dont fear it at all, its inevitable anyway

AppealPlay

Quote from: Coffeeman on November 11, 2015, 12:11:20 AM
"...meditate and push packets..."

This dude went to Cornell. This dude went to Cornell. This dude went to Cornell. This dude went to Cornell. This dude went to Cornell. This dude went to Cornell. This dude went to Cornell.

Just keep repeating it...just keep repeating it...just keep repeating it...

Remember that he's an engineer, not a scientist.  Everything makes sense then.  The show has picked up for me in the second hour.  Time travel woo is exciting. :D

Lilith

If we truly had free will, we could choose to see outside of our tunnel vision.

trostol

that sounds too...small minded in a sense there Art..if it is a simulation its gonna be a lot grander

Zenman

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 11, 2015, 12:10:05 AM
The funny thing is that it's impossible to dismiss it. Even if you're a scientist. It's a possibility that cannot ever be dismissed, but it can potentially be confirmed.

Yep, yep. I'm of the school that believes in an intelligent Universe. Seems rather obvious. And if everything is data, that explains a lot.

FLLFlash

Quote from: maren on November 10, 2015, 11:59:56 PM
I figure just believe whatever helps you along HERE, because we have no control of what happens after.  I choose to believe that I'll see my friends and family and pets on the other side.  I don't really care if that's REALLY what will happen or not, but believing it makes it easier being here without them, if that makes sense.

It does.

K_Dubb

Haha this is just semantics, redefining God for people to whom the idea has become odious.  Deism in scientific guise.  Instead of a clockmaker He's a programmer.

Barfly

Quote from: maren on November 11, 2015, 12:07:51 AM
Religious tax loopholes are no different than any other big business loopholes -- they all piss me off.
Religions pay NO taxes, and i can ASSURE you they have plenty cash that is not reported to followers, i know from experience being a alter boy for years, back then we collected the cash from the baskets and put it in a huge basket behind the alter, i ripped off plenty, so did the priests after mass, they would pocket some right in front of me..
If business paid high taxes they would hire less people and you would pay more for products, BOTH parties know this, its nothing new, Apple is one of the worst offenders of tax dodging.

AppealPlay

According to the reviews Fallout 4 isn't great.  Sorry, trostol.

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 11, 2015, 12:17:58 AM
Haha this is just semantics, redefining God for people to whom the idea has become odious.  Deism in scientific guise.  Instead of a clockmaker He's a programmer.

In any event, he's not the God of any holy bible.