• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

starrmtn001

Quote from: jazmunda on September 30, 2015, 06:07:40 AM
New video up on the Official YouTube Channel:

https://youtu.be/S5UF6OeBCFs
Thank you Jaz.  It's been "Liked" and added to my Art Bell playlist. ;)

jazmunda

Thursday Night's Guest: Father Michael Maginot â€" Exorcism

http://artbell.com/michael-maginot/

QuoteFr. Michael L. Maginot was born in Gary, Indiana in 1957. He went to Rome for Theology and gained a S.T.L. degree in Biblical Theology in 1984. Fr. Mike was ordained a priest on July 2, 1983. He would later be sent back to Rome to gain a J.C.L. degree in Canon Law at the Pontifical Gregorian University in 2000. When he returned, he would be assigned to St. Stephen, Martyr Parish as administrator with duties also at the Tribunal in the Diocese of Gary.

For three years, he was charge of the Tribunal as Judicial Vicar for the Diocese, then became Pastor of the parish. In 2012, he was given permission by the bishop to be an exorcist for the Ammon family in Gary, Indiana, whose case eventually would receive worldwide notoriety.

pate

Quote from: trostol on September 29, 2015, 11:19:56 AM
not all black magic is necessarily evil...in the end with witches and their "spells" comes down to..and i hate saying it..is intention

Do what thou wilt and it harm none.

I would posit that black magic is harmful, white magic is not.

Not that I know anything...

onan

Magic is neither good nor evil. It is however, make believe.

CornyCrow

Quote from: pate on October 01, 2015, 03:22:12 AM
Do what thou wilt and it harm none.

I would posit that black magic is harmful, white magic is not.

Not that I know anything...
I would think that black is the wilful intent to manipulate other people, including interfering with their love lives and jobs.  I would even stretch that to say manipulating the energies to further your own self interests may have repercussions, too. 

My excursions into magic were few.  The first time I did a ritual for money, (I was told to actually visualize what I wanted and not how it should come to me).  A close relative died and left me money in the will.  That upset me very much.  Then, I was told that this probably would have happened anyway, that I did not cause it.  I started doing the ritual for a certain kind of house, very clearly depicting every detain in my imagination.  The guy I was dating took me home to meet mom.  Guess what her house looked like?  I immediately stopped doing the ritual.  That guy's mom lived for decades more. 

It is my opinion that magic should be used for altruistic purposes only.  I think that Masonic woman, Debbie Anderson, has the proper attitude.  Protection and helping others.  SHe seemed the most level-headed of the guests who I can remember on the subject. 

Demontooth

I think Skype has to go, It seems like when he goes to the Skype line it brings the show to a screeching halt.

ItsOver

Quote from: Demontooth on October 01, 2015, 06:51:59 AM
I think Skype has to go, It seems like when he goes to the Skype line it brings the show to a screeching halt.
Skype seems to be one of those things Art just has to have, such as his bumper music.  Me?  I long for the good 'ol days of a normal call in connection.  I really don't want most of the callers to sound like they're squatting in my living room.

AppealPlay

Quote from: Demontooth on October 01, 2015, 06:51:59 AM

Quote from: ItsOver on October 01, 2015, 07:02:01 AM
Skype seems to be one of those things Art just has to have, such as his bumper music.  Me?  I long for the good 'ol days of a normal call in connection.  I really don't want most of the callers to sound like they're squatting in my living room.

Skype sounds great when it works however it seems to break...a lot!  I would be just fine with going back to regular phones.  I know Art obsesses over his audio quality and admittedly when Skype is working the audio is damn near perfect.  To me, however, the audio quality is much less important than the content of the show.

slippingaway

Quote from: onan on October 01, 2015, 03:59:00 AM
I disagree. Magic is focused intention just like prayer, or Arts mass consciousness experiments in the '90s

SredniVashtar

Quote from: ItsOver on October 01, 2015, 07:02:01 AM

YES!!!!!

But Art is an audio freak and you can't talk him out of it. I don't want to hear dumbass callers on the same level with 'the man'. How many of these morons are even worthy to be on the air with him in the first place? Hardly any, but when they are on a land line they don't seem so irksome. Put them on Skype and their fatuous calls sound ten times as annoying. It's a wasted argument though. Art cuts off callers if the sound is even slightly dodgy, it obviously affects him deeply to have less than perfect sound. You can tell he probably isn't a vinyl enthusiast, he just wants the highest fidelity possible and isn't concerned about things like atmosphere. That's just how he is and we have got to accept it, unfortunately, because you will never convince him on this one.

ItsOver

It makes for a decent video, at least.

http://youtu.be/O7ONp-GC7vM

ItsOver

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 01, 2015, 08:20:08 AM
YES!!!!!

But Art is an audio freak and you can't talk him out of it. I don't want to hear dumbass callers on the same level with 'the man'. How many of these morons are even worthy to be on the air with him in the first place? Hardly any, but when they are on a land line they don't seem so irksome. Put them on Skype and their fatuous calls sound ten times as annoying. It's a wasted argument though. Art cuts off callers if the sound is even slightly dodgy, it obviously affects him deeply to have less than perfect sound. You can tell he probably isn't a vinyl enthusiast, he just wants the highest fidelity possible and isn't concerned about things like atmosphere. That's just how he is and we have got to accept it, unfortunately, because you will never convince him on this one.
Yes, sir.  Art will be Art.  I can live with it, just as long as he never retires again.

Sehnzeleid

Didn't Art also say one of the issues with his satellite stint was the trouble hearing a portion of the callers and there being a routing delay of a few seconds since the calls had to bounce through Sirius HQ? Probably another reason why he loves the clarity and immediacy of Skype.

Not to mention having Skype as an option jibes with the show's Internet-based format.       

I do miss the scratchy landlines though, enhances already spooky calls. 

cweb

I don't like Skype, but you can't argue with how common it's become. Add to it the fact that Art is getting Skype calls from all over the globe. 2 calls from Romania during Open Lines? Frequent callers from the UK and Australia? sweet!

It's just one of those things. Until a more reliable platform breaks into the common space, you need it on the show to complement the phone lines.

BobGrau

Unfortunately, make-believe is not exempt from having real-world repercussions.

inuk2600

If there were some way that Art could feed the incoming Skype audio through a G.711 codec, Skype callers would sound like high quality landline phone calls and everybody would be happy.

SredniVashtar

Can you imagine a caller like JC working on Skype? You'd know immediately that it was a goof and the whole thing would be ruined. Likewise the Area 51 guy in his plane. I think you need a bit of mist to obscure things, like all the best creepy stories. Skype shines a bright light on it all and, though it might be wonderful audio, you lose out the fireside story feel to much of it.

I'd rather have the North American Skype line dropped and turn MITD51 into the international one, with MITD55 used as a special international line during Open Lines. Just a suggestion.

ItsOver

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 01, 2015, 11:13:51 AM
Can you imagine a caller like JC working on Skype? You'd know immediately that it was a goof and the whole thing would be ruined. Likewise the Area 51 guy in his plane. I think you need a bit of mist to obscure things, like all the best creepy stories. Skype shines a bright light on it all and, though it might be wonderful audio, you lose out the fireside story feel to much of it.
Exactly.  Mel and his hole would have been just another babbling nut case.

coaster

Yes.

chefist

I'm going to make an In-N-Out burger disappear at lunch!

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 01, 2015, 11:13:51 AM

I agree, there is an intangible something to the landline sound that adds to a creepy call. The trouble is most people are using cell phones now and they're a step down from a landline imo, so I would prefer a Skype call to many cell phone calls. But you're right, I can't imagine the Area 51 guy or JC on Skype. It just wouldn't have the same effect.

looking forward to tonight's show on exorcism.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 01, 2015, 12:46:46 PM
I agree, there is an intangible something to the landline sound that adds to a creepy call. The trouble is most people are using cell phones now and they're a step down from a landline imo, so I would prefer a Skype call to many cell phone calls. But you're right, I can't imagine the Area 51 guy or JC on Skype. It just wouldn't have the same effect.

I like the standard calls I wish Art would take more than Skype heavy. But whatever, I'm happy there are new shows 5 times a week. He can take calls on a tin can from Asia for all I care.

TigerLily

Quote from: slippingaway on October 01, 2015, 08:16:14 AM
I disagree. Magic is focused intention just like prayer, or Arts mass consciousness experiments in the '90s
Love your Avi, classic ST:TNG. I'm a total geek for that show. And I agree with your Magic comment.  All about intention

starrmtn001

Or, believe=make.  Just sayin'.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: nooryisawesome on October 01, 2015, 02:11:49 PM
I like the standard calls I wish Art would take more than Skype heavy. But whatever, I'm happy there are new shows 5 times a week. He can take calls on a tin can from Asia for all I care.

That's certainly true, it's just nice to have shows period. I've been reading about tonight's guest, I think this is what Art needed for the exorcism topic. Fr. Maginot is a legit RCC priest rather than a sede vacantist or other such break away.

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/parish-priest-aids-family-in-fight-against-demons/

Sounds scary as hell.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 01, 2015, 02:20:51 PM
That's certainly true, it's just nice to have shows period. I've been reading about tonight's guest, I think this is what Art needed for the exorcism topic. Fr. Maginot is a legit RCC priest rather than a sede vacantist or other such break away.

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/parish-priest-aids-family-in-fight-against-demons/

Sounds scary as hell.

Yes , I just hope callers don't get caught up in the whole gay debate thing. It's just stupid. No one needs to be surprised this dude is probably against gay marraige.

TigerLily

Quote from: starrmtn001 on October 01, 2015, 02:13:58 PM
Or, believe=make.  Just sayin'.
OMG cutest Halloween kitty.
Ever since I was a little girl, Halloween has been my favorite holiday. Never cared about candy, presents or big dinners. I was always about dressing up and getting to go out when all the ghosts, witches and hobgoblins were out carousing