• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Net Neutrality

Started by pate, November 11, 2014, 02:07:17 PM

TigerLily

Quote from: pate on November 29, 2017, 11:44:25 PM
Obvious Communist ideal is obvious...

Hate to disagree with one of your coherent posts but this is being pushed through by the Republicans in the name of deregulation, rolling back government overreach and stop the stifling of innovation

I don't understand it completely but I've heard net neutrality is not good.  It is just another way for the government to insert itself where it is not wanted.  I'm generally on the side of less govt. intrusion into our lives. I'm no expert though.

pate

Quote from: TigerLily on November 30, 2017, 12:07:53 AM
My understanding ...

Forgive my impertinence, was that I had already fought this demon under the previous administrations dating back to Reagan.  Forgive my merging or inability to...

That a side chooses to take a side in this "Net Neutrality" b/s should show that there are sides to take.

AllGore invented DARPA who then inventID yep, mmm...

'akes cents or $!

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 30, 2017, 12:20:06 AM
I don't understand it completely but I've heard net neutrality is not good.  It is just another way for the government to insert itself where it is not wanted.  I'm generally on the side of less govt. intrusion into our lives. I'm no expert though.

Yes. It's bad. Very bad. See my article for a simple explanation. Government allowing companies to both shaft the people and make money on it at the same time

pate

Quote from: TigerLily on November 30, 2017, 12:12:30 AM
Hate to disagree with one of your coherent posts but this is being pushed through by the Republicans in the name of deregulation, rolling back government overreach and stop the stifling of innovation

Tell me more about your opposition when Obama signed onto it?

TigerLily

Quote from: pate on November 30, 2017, 12:26:06 AM
Tell me more about your opposition when Obama signed onto it?

Well, sober pate. Obama and the Democrats enacted the bill to protect us and make net neutrality the law of the land. Trump and the Republicans want to overturn it. I.e. get rid of laws requiring net neutrality

pate

Quote from: TigerLily on November 30, 2017, 12:25:58 AM
Yes. It's bad. Very bad. See my article for a simple explanation. Government allowing companies to both shaft the people and make money on it at the same time

In the name of current administration your comments have been stricken from the record under "Net Neutrality" law.

Apogees...

pate

Quote from: TigerLily on November 30, 2017, 12:28:03 AM
Well, sober pate. Obama and the Democrats enacted the bill to protect us and make net neutrality the law of the land. Trump and the Republicans want to overturn it. I.e. get rid of laws requiring net neutrality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-EbALVUvfI

I know I'm probably not going to change your mind, TL, but this is what the other side of the argument is.  The basic argument is that free speech will be stifled as the government inserts itself more and more into internet governance.  I think it is a reasonable fear.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter/2014/09/18/limbaugh-is-right-net-neutrality-is-an-attack-on-free-speech-so-why-is-comcast-for-it/#be8f11c5fb92

pate

Quote from: TigerLily on November 30, 2017, 12:28:03 AM

Not to P'nut B'utter it.

Before Obama's ascendancy you had no free speech>?  AlGore and his creator minions of the 'tube had kontrol of your very intar-tube pre-escianse)sp(?

Mmm.  Lucy-Liu ewe 'ave suck benefactors in kontrol of yore lief!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 30, 2017, 12:29:43 AM
The basic argument is that free speech will be stifled as the government inserts itself more and more into internet governance.  I think it is a reasonable fear.

Umm...yeah because of all the evidence that they were doing that already?  :D

TigerLily

Quote from: pate on November 30, 2017, 12:28:05 AM
In the name of current administration your comments have been stricken from the record under "Net Neutrality" law.

Apogees...

While you're at it, strike this: US government [NOAA] report says that climate change is real â€" and humans are to blame.  Conclusions of climate-change science analysis are at odds with US President Donald Trump’s policies.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on November 30, 2017, 12:34:10 AM
While you're at it, strike this: US government [NOAA] report says that climate change is real â€" and humans are to blame.  Conclusions of climate-change science analysis are at odds with US President Donald Trump’s policies.

It couldn't be more corruption based fraud, could it because that's how most things have been turning out lately?  :D

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 30, 2017, 12:29:43 AM
I know I'm probably not going to change your mind, TL, but this is what the other side of the argument is.  The basic argument is that free speech will be stifled as the government inserts itself more and more into internet governance.  I think it is a reasonable fear.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter/2014/09/18/limbaugh-is-right-net-neutrality-is-an-attack-on-free-speech-so-why-is-comcast-for-it/#be8f11c5fb92

... By the government enacting a law to allow companies to censor and curbing free internet? And you're buying their pretext?

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 30, 2017, 12:34:02 AM
Umm...yeah because of all the evidence that they were doing that already?  :D

I'm trying to have a polite discussion.  No need to be smartass.  If I were conspiracy-minded, I'd say net neutrality gives them more cover for carrying out their dastardly plans.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on November 30, 2017, 12:38:19 AM
... By the government enacting a law to allow companies to censor and curbing free internet? And you're buying their pretext?

Well, your government allowed them to spy on us. Gee, who should we trust?  ;D

Quote from: TigerLily on November 30, 2017, 12:38:19 AM

Of course I am.  What business was it for them to butt into radio and tv regulation to begin with?  Why is more government good?  That's where you and I part.  I believe more government is just the opposite.  It stifles freedom.

TigerLily

Quote from: pate on November 30, 2017, 12:33:15 AM
Not to P'nut B'utter it.

Before Obama's ascendancy you had no free speech>?  AlGore and his creator minions of the 'tube had kontrol of your very intar-tube pre-escianse)sp(?

Mmm.  Lucy-Liu ewe 'ave suck benefactors in kontrol of yore lief!

Obama protected net neutrality by enacting the net neutrality law because the companies wanted the ability to "tailor" the access and charge for high speed. This new law would allow the companies to censor and charge you for the pleasure of something faster than dial-up

I do believe in trust-busting and breaking up monopolies because with those situations, competition is stifled but in general I'm against intense government regulations of business unless there is substantial reason and evidence to do so.

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 30, 2017, 12:40:48 AM
Of course I am.  What business was it for them to butt into radio and tv regulation to begin with?  Why is more government good?  That's where you and I part.  I believe more government is just the opposite.  It stifles freedom.

My dearest, darling 21. This is a government law that will cut back on internet freedom. I.e. free speech

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 30, 2017, 12:44:57 AM
I do believe in trust-busting and breaking up monopolies because with those situations, competition is stifled but in general I'm against intense government regulations of business unless there is substantial reason and evidence to do so.

This falls into your exception category

Jackstar

Quote from: TigerLily on November 30, 2017, 12:43:58 AM
allow the companies to censor and charge you for the pleasure of something faster than dial-up

The joke is on them: I'm ready to do nothing but shitpost on /pol/ and play Nethack for the next forty years. Fuck them. They can take their high-bandwidth VR killer-apps and shove them.

Quote from: TigerLily on November 30, 2017, 12:43:58 AM
Obama protected net neutrality by enacting the net neutrality law because the companies wanted the ability to "tailor" the access and charge for high speed. This new law would allow the companies to censor and charge you for the pleasure of something faster than dial-up

It didn't need protecting until Obama said it did.  Give the government an inch and they will take a mile.  What they will be doing is adding charges into your internet bill like they used to with old Ma Bell and AT&T phone bill.  Internet cost will go up for the average person.

TigerLily

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 30, 2017, 12:40:33 AM
Well, your government allowed them to spy on us. Gee, who should we trust?  ;D

Your brain. Read the law the FCC wants to enact

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 30, 2017, 12:48:18 AM
It didn't need protecting until Obama said it did.  Give the government an inch and they will take a mile.  What they will be doing is adding charges into your internet bill like they used to with old Ma Bell and AT&T phone bill.  Internet cost will go up for the average person.

???

TigerLily

Quote from: Jackstar on November 30, 2017, 12:47:22 AM
The joke is on them: I'm ready to do nothing but shitpost on /pol/ and play Nethack for the next forty years. Fuck them. They can take their high-bandwidth VR killer-apps and shove them.

It'll cost you. Literally

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 30, 2017, 12:40:48 AM

This law stifles freedom

How many people still have dialup?  I think most people left that behind 15 years ago. Really I am not all that dogmatic or passionate about it and I don't claim to be an expert but I'm against it. We'll have to see who is right in 10 years.  If net neutrality continues and costs go up but service is still not what it could be then I'll say see I told you so.

Quote from: TigerLily on November 30, 2017, 12:53:12 AM
This law stifles freedom

We didn't need net neutrality until Obama told us we did.  Sorry.  I'm highly skeptical of the pro side of net neutrality.

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 30, 2017, 12:55:04 AM
How many people still have dialup?  I think most people left that behind 15 years ago. Really I am not all that dogmatic or passionate about it and I don't claim to be an expert but I'm against it. We'll have to see who is right in 10 years.  If net neutrality continues and costs go up but service is still not what it could be then I'll say see I told you so.

First they came for my free speech by curtailing it on the internet and I did nothing ...