• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Big Risk: A Discussion of The Dark Knight

Started by Mordred478, January 05, 2009, 05:59:23 PM

Caruthers612

As someone who generally keeps his thoughts and feelings so close to the vest he could pass for a Scot, I am nervous about this one--first, because of the way people, historically, speak to one another on the net, tossing their Molotov cocktails and running, although I think this group is different, and second, because, and I may or may not say more on this subject, the late Heath Ledger meant a great deal to me. You don't need to understand it, please just understand that his death is a subject that still sends me reeling, and I hope everyone will respect that. Thanks.
      That said, for those willing to take the subject seriously, and post thoughtful, insightful, reflective thoughts about the psychology behind the new Batman film and/or the previous one--the characters, their evolution, their relationship to one another, the purpose and meaning of various threads of the overall plot in the context of the ongoing story, etc.--I would like to engage other thoughtful, insightful adults in a discussion of the whole thing. We've got some bright people in this group, people who read books and are smarter than the average bear. Both the Batman films were made by very bright, mature, contemplative souls for people of the same ilk. I think we've got our share of such persons here, so, if you're game, what say we exchange pith.

M

EvB

Mordred,

I haven't seen them.  I want to, particularly the last. I am a fan of Ledger's work.

I'll see if I can scare up a copy, and post once I have.

Ev

1) Christopher Nolan rules

2) Christian Bale rules

3) Heath Ledger comes in and steals the show, then dies mysteriously after completion of filming.

4) ???

5) PROFIT

Oh, also, the most quotable Joker lines ever appeared in this film. One of my personal favorites:

"Do you want to know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the... little emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I know your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards? "

MV/Liberace!

christian bale's performance really took me out of the movie every time he spoke.  i just couldn't take his clint eastwood delivery and the clearly affected tone with which he delivered his lines.  i wish bale had been on par with the performance of ledger in this movie but instead, as i saw things, he was a counterweight to brilliance.

Centurion73

I don't think it is a big risk at all I think it is a great idea and I hope you get a lot of interesting post.

I think that the darkness and direction of the movies are a reflection on the times, mores and angst that is felt by a vast number in society. I think it also shows that the true nature of humans is to do what may be termed evil or bad things but that is my opinion only.

I read somewhere or heard from Ian maybe that Robin may kill Batman, interesting, is it because Batman has or is becoming more & more like the people he is chasing?

Frys Girl

I need to watch this again to have any kind of meaningful conversation about it. It's been way TOO long.

EvB

QuoteI read somewhere or heard from Ian maybe that Robin may kill Batman, interesting, is it because Batman has or is becoming more & more like the people he is chasing?

I heard Ian say that he understood Batman may die -- his conjecture was that Robin may then become the new "batman" 

I imagine he said other things too - but this is the only related one I recall.

Dick Greyson's "Robin" eventually becomes Nightwing, and doesn't kill Batman as far as I know. As far as the other two versions, I'm not completely sure depending on timelines/alt universes...but I'd never heard of anything even conjecture-wise. You see, there were a few different Robins. Of course, I'm not sure how Christopher Nolan would plan on modeling his incarnation of the universe...considering of course, he does the third film. According to Nolan himself, third installments are always flukes for some reason, and he's not sure if he would want to be a part of that vicious cycle after the success of a film like The Dark Knight. It'd probably be better for his legacy to end his Batman on the high note of Heath Ledger and go looking for new projects. However, I hope that he still decides to do the third film. From internet rumors, Catwoman has been identified as the most likely for at least one of the next main antagonists for the third film. And, annoyingly enough, Beyonce Knowles has already expressed interest in playing that role. Good lord, I hope not. *shudder* 

EvB

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on January 06, 2009, 09:27:32 PM
However, I hope that he still decides to do the third film. From internet rumors, Catwoman has been identified as the most likely for at least one of the next main antagonists for the third film. And, annoyingly enough, Beyonce Knowles has already expressed interest in playing that role. Good lord, I hope not. *shudder*

Keep in mind that just because SHE is interested dosen't mean THEY are.

Frys Girl

BEYONCE?! WTF? Ok. She's actually not a bad actress (I saw some of Dream Girls). STILL!!! Not as catwoman. I don't know. It would have to be insanely good costuming. Ugh. Even Megan Fox is a NO.

MV/Liberace!

i don't know why this just popped into my head, but i once spent a couple hours with julie newmar (cat woman) and adam west (duh).  she was a seemingly bat-shit crazy old woman and adam west was a creep.  perhaps i can elaborate upon both at a later time.

i will say this though:  west and newmar never spoke to one another even once while i was with them.  i didn't get the impression they like one another.

Centurion73

PKA, I am probably just confused but I thought I heard that but maybe they meant in the comic book series it happens? I also thought he was doing a third movie but like I said I think I am rather confused but thank you for the info.

MV I agree that Adam West is a snob, he used to frequent my friends restaurant in NYC and try hitting on all the young girls (nothing wrong with that) but he would use that voice of his (got to admit that part of him is good) and tell them he was Batman and try and get free drinks and shit out of them. Julie Newmar, no doubt one too many trips somewhere but damn she was a milf in her day. You must tell that story one day that is just so very compelling as to why they never spoke to each other.

Quote from: EvB on January 06, 2009, 09:49:33 PM
Keep in mind that just because SHE is interested dosen't mean THEY are.

Very true, thankfully.

Quote from: Frys Girl on January 06, 2009, 09:56:22 PM
BEYONCE?! WTF? Ok. She's actually not a bad actress (I saw some of Dream Girls). STILL!!! Not as catwoman. I don't know. It would have to be insanely good costuming. Ugh. Even Megan Fox is a NO.

I just can't take music-to-movies actors seriously. Don't get me wrong, I liked most of Bowie's roles and maybe one of Sting's, but I can't think of any other musicians off-hand who I enjoyed as actors.

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on January 06, 2009, 10:04:49 PM
i don't know why this just popped into my head, but i once spent a couple hours with julie newmar (cat woman) and adam west (duh).  she was a seemingly bat-shit crazy old woman and adam west was a creep.  perhaps i can elaborate upon both at a later time.

i will say this though:  west and newmar never spoke to one another even once while i was with them.  i didn't get the impression they like one another.

Adam West always seemed like a nice guy to me...just a little strange. Newmar, however, has always struck me as absolutely delusional, and yes - batshit crazy.

Quote from: Centurion73 on January 06, 2009, 10:21:05 PM
PKA, I am probably just confused but I thought I heard that but maybe they meant in the comic book series it happens? I also thought he was doing a third movie but like I said I think I am rather confused but thank you for the info.

I kinda dropped off the comic series years ago, but I'll do some research into it anyways. The last Batman comic I bothered to read was a crossover battle with Spawn.  ;:)

EvB

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on January 06, 2009, 10:04:49 PM
she was a seemingly bat-shit crazy old woman and adam west was a creep.  perhaps i can elaborate upon both at a later time.

I'd love ot hear your elaboration.  It seems to me that the old studio "STAR" system both attracted and created bat-shit crazy people.  I'm not sure this was more true of the women - but it sure as hell seemed more obvious is their case.

If you have not seen Sunset Blvd.    - you must. 
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTYxMjAyMTc4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDYyODM2._V1._CR80,0,290,290_SS90_.jpg
Re: Big Risk: A Discussion of The Dark Knight

Thread resurrection!

Just watched these and then Chinatown a few days later.
Great action and stunts but I think the "Detective Comics" got left behind.
Wasn't too hot on the cast either. I liked Bale in the Prestige but he wasn't good in this one.

Chinatown was more "Batman" than of all those movies.