• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

zeebo

Quote from: Grifynne on May 04, 2018, 01:42:33 PM
...And who takes a personal phone call in the middle of a live interview?

The funniest part was she uses the same phone that interrupts Hoagie's shows.

zeebo

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 04, 2018, 01:52:02 PM
We really should encourage Lasha to join the network.

I want this so bad.  Would be like hearing The View on mushrooms.

AZZERAE

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 04, 2018, 03:20:24 PM
I bet that sounds even more devastating when delivered in a gurgling Boer accent. Fix bayonets!

Care for a pint, big boy?

My accent, in actuality, resembles yours more closely than you'd suspect. I find the boer and its enunciation as unappealing as you do.

I wish you would bomb on a post, but each one has me stitches. You can't be mad at someone who makes you larf.

Sean92008

Quote from: zeebo on May 04, 2018, 03:23:49 PM
A copper line telephone is essential in business.  Even when you have 20 lines coming in, a hard-wired line is important to report problems, call 911, etc...  They've got backup generators at the TelCo and the line will stay active long after VOIP dies off.  Plus federal regulations require the twisted pair telephone lines stay up where as internet is not yet so actively regulated for up time requirements.

Lilith

Quote from: Grifynne on May 04, 2018, 01:24:36 PM
Do we have anyone with affiliate experience (or general industry experience) who would like to weigh in on this guy's comment about airing repeats being good for business?

I think the people that want to hear old Art shows, already have them, or know where to go online to listen to them, but, if somebody wants to, and has permission to run a program based on reruns, I guess they should give it a try.  I wish them luck tho when it comes to Art Bell stuff.  Art was all about investigating the unknown, the mysteries, even if they were political mysteries,  NOT in rehashing things we already have heard.

Besides, people want new shows to add to their subscription archive, and they won't get any by playing reruns.

dsz

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 04, 2018, 03:23:00 PM
They didn’t have any affiliates. Their revenue isnt based on commercials. It is based on subscriptions to the archives.

They had affiliates in the manner of a station who relayed the show. They didn't have affiliates in the manner of stations who paid for market exclusive rights to the show a la Rush. Just curious... Did all those affiliates that jumped on during the Art Bell MITD days pay a fee or were they just making money off the few local spots aired in those hours?

munbeam666

Quote from: nbirnes on May 04, 2018, 03:15:09 PM
Disagree. Legalize, take away the stigma. Teach kids to love their minds, undrugged, and keep it that way as long as possible. In other words, educate. The more you know ... and all that.
Its legal here in California, and the world hasn't come to an end

GravitySucks

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 04, 2018, 02:59:29 PM
Is he your go-to when you make a deposit at the sperm bank?

Lately its been J. Edgar Hoover in red lace.

BobGrau

Quote from: WOTR on May 04, 2018, 12:06:13 AM
That shows even more promise.  Hell- even Noorie has made it in every night without facing danger (save the infamous hot pizza roll.) You said it is Saturday nights?

If you have never seen the bellgabber animation of the pizza roll story, you owe it to yourself.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1914eEHOZPw

***You are correct.  Best to stay on their good side.  :-\  Also, I had not noticed the picture of Hoagie above the sink- the clocks at 11:11.  All kinds of nice details.

Lol I was just thinking about the Hoagland picture today at work. Says it all really.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: munbeam666 on May 04, 2018, 03:32:39 PM

Hmmm, but in a recent survey Sacramento and it's environs has the worst drivers in the USA.. Coinshidensh?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Azzerae on May 04, 2018, 03:26:26 PM

My accent, in actuality, resembles yours more closely than you'd suspect. I find the boer and its enunciation as unappealing as you do.

I wish you would bomb on a post, but each one has me stitches. You can't be mad at someone who makes you larf.

Charlize Theron

discuss

Catsmile

Quote from: ItsOver on May 04, 2018, 08:10:19 AM
BellGab's welcome wagon host will get back with you soon.  Ta ta!

# Naw, Man.
# I Just Scroll By All The Nonsense, 4 The most part.
# They're to busy & important to read.
# I'm to busy & important to spoon feed.
# I Believe Others Should Too, Their Call.
# Otherwise It's An Unending Groundhog Day.

Sean92008

Quote from: dsz on May 04, 2018, 03:31:11 PM
They had affiliates in the manner of a station who relayed the show. They didn't have affiliates in the manner of stations who paid for market exclusive rights to the show a la Rush. Just curious... Did all those affiliates that jumped on during the Art Bell MITD days pay a fee or were they just making money off the few local spots aired in those hours?
They had two OTA stations until Karen fired Heather's ass...  As for KCAA, I was ALWAYS under the impression that prime time shows with them were paid for by the show.  They do the freebies for off-hours just to sell local ads.  I don't believe they love Heather as much as Heather or her followers talked shit about Keith.  I believe they posted messages about this tactic, at least.

As for paying for air time, this is common, as I believe Kim Kommando and Ground Zero entered markets with 1-hour slots they paid for or gave to stations allowing the ads to go 100% to the station.  I know that Late Night in the Midlands did a fundraiser to do just that in the past too.

Ground Zero is still only 1-hour 5 nights a week on KOGO in San Diego.  Kommando is 1-hour on Saturday nights  (cutting in on Somewhere in Time).  So, my SiTs are 1-hour shorter and I don't hear the recap of the news of the day.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Dyna-X on May 04, 2018, 03:04:45 PM
Master and apprentice.

He had copd so he wasn't getting enough oxygen to his brain. Also his way of getting money from suckers was advertising. He might have been the master but he was a sick elderly man in his last years. I think he got played.

Sean92008

Quote from: munbeam666 on May 04, 2018, 03:32:39 PM
Colorado is having regrets, I hear.

GravitySucks

Quote from: dsz on May 04, 2018, 03:31:11 PM

They did not pay a fee. There were some commercials that had to be passed through if I remember correctly and some time for local commercials. I guess the business model counted on a minimal set of commercials and widespread advertising of the Time Traveler memberships.

Heather did not have affiliates like Art had worked up to. He had something like 120. She might have had 1 left.

GravitySucks

Art probably told Hoagie which phone to buy for the utmost audio quality.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 04, 2018, 02:56:49 PM
Wut? A younger woman well versed in a job where you're supposed to separate a man from his money was manipulated by an elderly man? Could you elaborate?

She's a weak personality... a blank slate, really. Start there. Add in the fact that Art clearly had a lot of things planned out around her involvement in this mess, some of which is not yet public domain.

IamNegan

Quote from: dsz on May 04, 2018, 11:52:53 AM
So that thing where her vocals sounded all wonky the first night back on after she allegedly moved was staged too I guess. Lear is right. "It's all staged"

Just like the moon landing....heh heh heh

Dyna-X

Quote from: Sean92008 on May 04, 2018, 03:43:19 PM
Colorado is having regrets, I hear.
The biggest tidal shift is its raised rental rates and house prices due to the stoners moving in from around the nation. If you are poor and don't smoke all you notice is more traffic jams and 150 to 300 more a month in rent over the last few years.

IamNegan

Quote from: zeebo on May 04, 2018, 03:26:19 PM
I want this so bad.  Would be like hearing The View on mushrooms.

Great Googly Moogly! The View in itself isn't tolerable much more than 5 seconds in, but the 'shrooms angle might make it more palatable... :)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: mv on May 04, 2018, 03:48:48 PM
She's a weak personality... a blank slate, really. Start there. Add in the fact that Art clearly had a lot of things planned out around her involvement in this mess, some of which is not yet public domain.

Oh Mister, you're no holding back on us are you?

Praise Columbo MV.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Azzerae on May 04, 2018, 03:26:26 PM

Yeah, he's pretty talented with the written word.

Juan

Come on gang. 210 pages to go by Monday

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 04, 2018, 03:54:08 PM

Praise Columbo MV.
Bet he is saving it for the next gabcast.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 04, 2018, 03:54:08 PM

Believe me, it really fucking pains me to do so.

ItsOver

LOL.  At least Hoagie is unintentionally amusing.  HW is mostly pitiful.

morgana213

Quote from: zeebo on May 03, 2018, 07:50:25 PM
Just today I skimmed some of the Art Quits DM thread and jeez you're right, what a bunch of chumps!  There were some skeptics, and I give them belated credit, but I was firmly in the chump camp.  Then, MITD came around and I went full chump again!  But if not for those experiences, I might not be the cynical curmudgeon I am today, so I got that out of it.
+1 Chump

I'm embarrassed to say I was too. Lordy, I even took up for Heather thinking she was being picked on. Jesus Fucking Christ, it annoys me when I allow myself to be hoodwinked. 

But now I have seen the light, and all praise goes to MV!

ponyboysunset

Quote from: morgana213 on May 04, 2018, 03:59:29 PM
+1 Chump

I'm embarrassed to say I was too. Lordy, I even took up for Heather thinking she was being picked on. Jesus Fucking Christ, it annoys me when I allow myself to be hoodwinked. 

But now I have seen the light, and all praise goes to MV!
None of us should beat ourselves up. Good manipulation is just that. And sorry I have listened to that shit show twice she was faking it. I refuse to be a chump again.