CNN.com
3 (4.3%)
George Noory
10 (14.3%)
Other source
38 (54.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Zircon

Apparently some further assaults were made on Tomlinson after this video. Did he die in custody or did it happen here on this street? How did he die? What was the protest about as the uncalled for violence by police seemed to be a personal vendetta aimed at the protestor who clearly wasn't confronting the authorities.

BobGrau

Quote from: Zircon on July 19, 2012, 09:28:14 AM
Apparently some further assaults were made on Tomlinson after this video. Did he die in custody or did it happen here on this street? How did he die? What was the protest about as the uncalled for violence by police seemed to be a personal vendetta aimed at the protestor who clearly wasn't confronting the authorities.

The whole nasty little tale : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Ian_Tomlinson (ok, the wiki version)

He died on the street shortly after that vid was taken, from 'natural causes'. He wasn't a protestor, he was a newspaper salesman making his way home who got caught up in a G20 protest.

Now, I doubt that the cop actually meant to kill him - I'm trying to keep my knee-jerking to a minimum here - but to me there is something fundamentally wrong with attacking an unarmed man from behind when he wasn't causing any threat (that I can see), particularly when you outnumber him ten to one and YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE REPRESENTING AUTHORITY.

And, as always, the Establishment sticks together. Fuck em.

Zircon

I am in total agreement with you on this. I'm sure Tomlinson told the officers he wasn't involved in the protest and why he was present at that time. Has any action been taken against one or more officers by the authorities. I realize cops will stick together but this is clearly a case of aggravated assault and battery (or your equivalent). I think we can agree that Tomlinson's death was an unfortunate and completely unexpected case of involuntary manslaughter at worst? Lethal force usually doesn't involve a shove from behind. What actions were taken by the police as he died and once he was dead? Thankfully this incident got recorded.

onan

Quote from: BobGrau on July 19, 2012, 10:05:25 AM

And, as always, the Establishment sticks together. Fuck em.

Simon Harwood, the officer that was acquitted, seems to have several other complaints against him over the years. At least that is what the link you posted suggests.

Sucks.

Zircon

Bob, why is there a problem between the public and the police? I've seen many news reports from the UK where the young seem to be on violent rampages and destruction. Lots of youth violence. To expect the police to protect those who are acting civil and going about their normal business it might be necessary to rough up tough crowds.

The Wikipedia report states, "The incident was compared to previous deaths involving police contact or allegedly inadequate investigations, such as the deaths of Blair Peach (1979), Stephen Lawrence (1993), and Jean Charles de Menezes (2005), each of which acted as a watershed in the public's perception of policing."

OK, the police definitely acted well outside of their authority with Peach and Menezes. Has anything changed with the death of Lawrence? The police are criminal in these cases. An arrest was warranted at most for those alleged to have committed a crime. With Lawrence, totally unacceptable.

Why do the skinheads exist? What is their argument for organizing? Is it immigration and the UK losing its European identity?

I expected things to be more civil with your police than with ours as "Bobbies" (almost certain they don't exist anymore) used to enforce without the need of weapons and lethal force. Your society has changed and the police have taken a rougher hand clearly.

The de-evolution of your society is fueled, in part, by the influx of immigrants who can't hope for more than society's lower job rung. They are angry and expect the welfare state to support them and allow them to live in and expand their failed cultures - what brought them to the UK from their native lands to begin with. If a nation adds to its "down and out" then what can it expect except discontent and the resulting violence?

The police are frustrated as they are told to be "sensitive" while these people carry on. Not all of them are that way of course BUT there are enough of them to fuck it up for everybody else in their community. How many innocent native Britain's have been assaulted and died as a result of these hooligans? How many officers have been attacked? Firemen? EMT? People trying to help?

This hate and discontent by the people is understandable but the public just isn't going to win by engaging the police in violence. Perhaps anarchy is sought. Attempts are being made in this country to do the same thing. This Occupy horseshit is a joke here in the states. You ought to see what they're wearing and what they drive up in. God damned lazy fucking losers.

Feudalism is on the rise. The Global New World Order. A hybrid of Orwell and Huxley.

BobGrau

Wow, a lot to respond to. Let's see:

Why is there a problem between public and police? Same complex mash of reasons that exists in your country, and any society.
The kids like to act up. That basically covers it. I don't have much sympathy with the aforementioned 'G20' protesters - most of them are middle-class white kids roleplaying some sort of anarchist-fetish fantasy. Being a middle-class white boy myself, I've been through that phase and it's just dumb.
I don't know much about Peach. Lawrence appears to have been a straightforward let's-kick-the-shit-out-of-some-guy-for-a-laugh secenario that you can see on any friday night in any town centre in this country - he gets mentioned here because there was a whiff of police corruption involved in the investigation (again, nothing new).
Menezes... was a totally different thing. God only knows what was going on there.

to be continued...

onan

I like OWS. As flawed as it is, I like it. It is by and large a peaceful movement that is being a thorn in the side of business. I for one hope and pray that a majority of wall street types die quick but horrible deaths.

What OWS has to do with Ian Tomlinson I have no clue.

BobGrau

(cont)

Why do skinheads exist? Same reason teddy boys, hippys, punks, ravers, goths etc all exist. It's a subculture, and as with all subcultures, you get good people and you get assholes. I've known plenty of skinheads who were/are totally sweet people with a fondness for weed and reggae.

You won't be surprised to hear that I disagree with your idea that immigration might be at the root of it all. There are no doubt 'subtle chains of cause and effect' linking immigration, poverty and dissatisfaction, but us natives are more than capable of stirring up the shit ourselves. Read up on 'soccer casuals' sometime.

The thing about 'bobbies'... that community-spirited local cop thing still applies in the more rural areas (such as the small town I live in) but cities are too big and dangerous for that kind of attitude to have survived. I would imagine that applies in the states as well.

BobGrau

Quote from: onan on July 19, 2012, 11:22:53 AM
I like OWS. As flawed as it is, I like it. It is by and large a peaceful movement that is being a thorn in the side of business. I for one hope and pray that a majority of wall street types die quick but horrible deaths.

I like what Occupy stand for, in principle, same as these brit protesters, but I can't help assuming it's all some cynical double-bluff divide and conquer bullshit. That's what I'd do if I was in charge.

Zircon

Quote from: onan on July 19, 2012, 11:22:53 AM

"Large and Peaceful" ??? What are you talking about? Rape, assaults on participants by other participants, drugs, shitting on cars, busting out windows in businesses. A dump ground in the parks. Large? Definitely. Peaceful? Just what would it take to call it violent? How much violence qualifies as at least saying it is "unsafe"?

Do these OWS types have resumes? What kind of compensation do they request for their skill sets? Are all participants just people who are upset with the economy or does it also contain anarchists, communists, rabble rousers, druggies, homeless folks looking for freebies. They don't like business yet I don't see them trying to get a job with a business?

If they're protesting Wall Street then why the fuck are they targeting Main Street? Obama supports them in spirit at least. Have any of them checked out who Obama's best friends are?

onan

Quote from: Zircon on July 19, 2012, 11:41:30 AM
"Large and Peaceful" ??? What are you talking about? Rape, assaults on participants by other participants, drugs, shitting on cars, busting out windows in businesses. A dump ground in the parks. Large? Definitely. Peaceful? Just what would it take to call it violent? How much violence qualifies as at least saying it is "unsafe"?

Do these OWS types have resumes? What kind of compensation do they request for their skill sets? Are all participants just people who are upset with the economy or does it also contain anarchists, communists, rabble rousers, druggies, homeless folks looking for freebies. They don't like business yet I don't see them trying to get a job with a business?

If they're protesting Wall Street then why the fuck are they targeting Main Street? Obama supports them in spirit at least. Have any of them checked out who Obama's best friends are?

I think you are too biased (yes I edited it) to rationally look at the issue. Your post is more about demonizing than using any critical thinking. Sorry. You actually think the organizers of OWS have rapists as part of their plan? It is a protest and in any large metropolitan area problems ensue. If anything those protesting are putting themselves at further risk if your suggesting OWS attracts rapists.

Think about it for a moment, who would benefit from those stories making major news. 683,000 adult American women are forcibly raped each year. This equals 56,916 per month; 1,871 per day; 78 per hour; and 1.3 per minute. When was the last time you had a major news network break in to inform you of that?

Are there some so disenfranchised they may sit on your car? you bet. OWS isn't the cause of that.

And by the way I used the colloquialism "by and Large" and connected peaceful with it. I will concede OWS has become large (that wasn't my point) and good for them.

To your other points protests do make some less comfortable. I think as much as some may not like it, it may be the only way to get attention. As for resumes, I have no idea and neither do you, likewise with rush, beck, and hannity.

I don't get the romanticism that OWS seems to enjoy from some.  These people for the most part are a bunch of misfits and losers that didn't bother to get educations and aren't interested in working for what they want out of life.  Most of the rest are local 'homeless' lured in to make the crowds larger.  Not really the people I would want making decisions for the rest of us.  There is also the whiff of the same old Marxist agitators that always swwm to show up for demonstrations and protests, when they aren't planning them themselves.  My guess is the whole thing is an Obama/Soros op to sow lies, fear and confusion.  Oh sure, there are the usual assortment of easily led people to be trotted out for show - teachers, nurses, veterans, but they aren't really representative of OWS.

I have yet to hear a single one of these people state accurately how we got into this economic mess or how to get out of it.  I have heard quite a bit of demonizing of anyone not agreeing with them, racism against 'Jews', and other hateful remarks. 

Not being very sharp or educated, 'teach ins' are held to get the participants riled up and all on the same page prior to their 'events', to ensure these uneducated thuggish folks only know what they are spoon fed.

Here in Oakland they leave a path of shit and garbage where ever they go - looting, burning, attacking police, taking over buildings and land to 'farm' claiming it for themselves.  And yes, they have been indirectly responsible for at least 2 murders, rapes, drug dealing, dog bites, assaults and muggings, and that's just around here.

Is this really how we want to make decisions these days, or who we want making them?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: onan on July 19, 2012, 12:10:36 PM
I think you are too biased (yes I edited it) to rationally look at the issue. Your post is more about demonizing than using any critical thinking. Sorry.

dude, come on.  and you're objective?

ffs.  assertions like this are why i largely shut the fuck up these days.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 19, 2012, 05:11:14 PM

Here in Oakland they leave a path of shit and garbage where ever they go - looting, burning, attacking police, taking over buildings and land to 'farm' claiming it for themselves.  And yes, they have been indirectly responsible for at least 2 murders, rapes, drug dealing, dog bites, assaults and muggings, and that's just around here.

This is 100% true, and it's really fucking ridiculous. There was enough shit to avoid in Oakland as it was, now there's a mass of would be do-gooders getting taken advantage of and overrun by a large contingent of mooches, vagrants and vandals.

onan

Quote from: MV on July 19, 2012, 05:59:32 PM

dude, come on.  and you're objective?

ffs.  assertions like this are why i largely shut the fuck up these days.

Yeah, I went overboard. and ffs dont shut up because I step in shit. Fuck I can have a bad day.

onan

frikken interwebs double post

Quote from: CoastCanuck on August 01, 2012, 03:06:20 PM
Careful what you say, especially in the UK.  You may be arrested.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jul/31/uk-police-arrest-man-over-twitter-insult/

Here in the US the Left looks wistfully to Western Europe and wants us to become more like them in every way.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: CoastCanuck on August 01, 2012, 03:06:20 PM
Careful what you say, especially in the UK.  You may be arrested.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jul/31/uk-police-arrest-man-over-twitter-insult/

"You let your dad down i hope you know that."

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaha.

HAL 9000

Quote from: CoastCanuck on August 01, 2012, 03:06:20 PMCareful what you say, especially in the UK.  You may be arrested.

Or you could look even closer to home - (I'm assuming you're in Canada?) where so-called anti- "hate-speech" (I loathe the term hate-whatever, but it has become part of popular vernacular) is punishable by fines or imprisonment as proscribed by the Constitution of Canada, Criminal Code of Canada, and the Canadian Human Rights Act as administered by the Canadian Human Rights Commission. I find the language of the relevant Code sections frightening - especially as the potential for the United States Supreme Court may one day take up similar such cases, and activist judges uphold potential laws similar to Canada's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_Canada

Quote from: HAL 9000 on August 01, 2012, 11:05:46 PM
Or you could look even closer to home - (I'm assuming you're in Canada?) where so-called anti- "hate-speech" (I loathe the term hate-whatever, but it has become part of popular vernacular) is punishable by fines or imprisonment

I once worked for a book company that published some politically incorrect material and some ordinary material.  Naturally, they would seize and destroy the politically incorrect material.  But there was no telling what else they might object to.  They sometimes seized perfectally ordinary, non-poltical books on Norse or Celtic mythology for example.  They once seized a Norse-themed coloring book for kids published by Dover -- almost no words, just pictures for kids to color.  When we asked what books we could and could not ship, they said there was no list, it was up to the discretion of whatever Customs official opened the packages...

At least Germany has a list of banned books so you know what you cannot ship there.

Zircon

Quote from: HAL 9000 on August 01, 2012, 11:05:46 PM
Or you could look even closer to home - (I'm assuming you're in Canada?) where so-called anti- "hate-speech" (I loathe the term hate-whatever, but it has become part of popular vernacular) is punishable by fines or imprisonment as proscribed by the Constitution of Canada, Criminal Code of Canada, and the Canadian Human Rights Act as administered by the Canadian Human Rights Commission. I find the language of the relevant Code sections frightening - especially as the potential for the United States Supreme Court may one day take up similar such cases, and activist judges uphold potential laws similar to Canada's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_Canada
HAL, I share your concern about where our courts are headed. Like you mentioned, it appears we're getting kind of cozy with the European model that seems to be nothing short of stitching one's mouth shut and preventing the utterance of much of anything. I mean it is practically impossible to voice and opinion on anything without someone taking exception to it.

I always though dialog was good and disagreements led to constructive conversation and a "meeting of minds" so to speak. It is how one learns and how one gains wisdom. Listening to what the other guy has to say. Hell, I might be overreacting here but it seems like anything controversial gets an emotional response now.

The Canadians have really screwed themselves up. One can only guess what schools are like or conversations in the office. Must be a lot of conversation about useless crap.

Eddie Coyle

I never thought Fox News endless ramping up for war with Iran could be matched...however, CNN has actually surpassed them in their concomitant push for war with Syria. Unfucking real, there should be a modern day Abraham Lincoln Brigade consisting of CNN employees and their families from Ted Turner on down to "in the pooper" Cooper, let them fight the war. Every day is full of equating Assad with misbegotten tyrants of yore from Adolf to Saddam.

Virtual

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 09, 2012, 11:55:42 PM

I never thought Fox News endless ramping up for war with Iran could be matched...however, CNN has actually surpassed them in their concomitant push for war with Syria. Unfucking real, there should be a modern day Abraham Lincoln Brigade consisting of CNN employees and their families from Ted Turner on down to "in the pooper" Cooper, let them fight the war. Every day is full of equating Assad with misbegotten tyrants of yore from Adolf to Saddam.

Well Assad is pretty bad. But I am more surprised that people still watch TV or get their news from any of those stations. A person find more information about a subject in 20 minutes on the web than you can get out of watching a whole day of any 24 hour news cycle station. Boycott that shit.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Virtual on August 10, 2012, 12:41:49 AM
Well Assad is pretty bad. But I am more surprised that people still watch TV or get their news from any of those stations. A person find more information about a subject in 20 minutes on the web than you can get out of watching a whole day of any 24 hour news cycle station. Boycott that shit.

Believe me, my exposure to CNN is limited at best, but every time I pass that channel it's some helmeted correspondent in Aleppo. CNN and much of the media have this collective guilt about their indifference toward Rwanda in 1994, and now feel a need to show seemingly every fresh corpse in every godforsaken corner of the planet.

ziznak

beautiful work of art it is...

Eddie Coyle

I'm convinced Akins comments were just a publicity stunt to make "The Jaco Report" the biggest news show on the planet.

The Jaco Report is a brilliant name for a Pastorius tribute band.

onan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 22, 2012, 11:18:08 AM
        I'm convinced Akins comments were just a publicity stunt to make "The Jaco Report" the biggest news show on the planet.

The Jaco Report is a brilliant name for a Pastorius tribute band.     

Akins isn't the first nut bag to be completely stupid on the subject of rape and the physiology of fertilization.

Quote1995-04-21 04:00:00 PDT Raleigh, N.C. -- Women do not get pregnant when raped because "the juices don't flow, the body functions don't work" during an attack, a state lawmaker said yesterday.
Republican Representative Henry Aldridge made the remarks to the House Appropriations Committee as it debated a proposal to eliminate a state abortion fund for poor women.
"The facts show that people who are raped -- who are truly raped -- the juices don't flow, the body functions don't work and they don't get pregnant," said Aldridge, a 71-year-old periodontist. "Medical authorities agree that this is a rarity, if ever."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Lawmaker-Says-Rape-Can-t-Cause-Pregnancy-3036411.php#ixzz24J8RR4X1

These dumb fucks should have to have a tattoo on their foreheads indicating just how fucking stupid they are.