• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Steve Warner's Dark City

Started by bateman, October 27, 2013, 03:54:49 PM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: area51drone on December 28, 2013, 01:43:53 AM
Agreed. He could have done more with a Cessna 172 than an Iranian could do with a F22.  Don't forget, he had a lot of sim experience too.

Erm no. There is a misconception that just because a pilot is an Arab somehow they're not taught to fly fast jets. They are. They have proper sims and (mainly) western flight instructors. So a hypothetical Iranian in an F22 wouldn't need to get the undercarrage up to bring down a 172, irrespective who was the pilot.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: bateman on December 27, 2013, 04:19:34 PM
Would anyone be interested in a show on art heists? I've been putting out a lot of UFO content, and while I find it fascinating, I don't think I could do it every single week. I'd like to diversify a bit. I have some really interesting guests lined up, just wondered if that particular one might be of interest.

I'd dig it. I like "true crime" shit as much as I like paranormal stuff.

steelbot

Quote from: area51drone on December 28, 2013, 01:43:53 AM
Agreed. He could have done more with a Cessna 172 than an Iranian could do with a F22.  Don't forget, he had a lot of sim experience too.
DOn't forget the portable velcro cassette tape player for rocking 80's music to shoot down enemy planes to!

George Drooly

Would anyone be interested in a show on art heists? I've been putting out a lot of UFO content, and while I find it fascinating, I don't think I could do it every single week. I'd like to diversify a bit. I have some really interesting guests lined up, just wondered if that particular one might be of interest.

Great idea and subject. Not just the practical aspects of heists, but also you might consider the implications of ownership of ideas, identity, etc. Check this:

http://youtu.be/8fclaJK5KDU

onan

What is your problem with Arthiests? some people just don't believe in spirituality.

aldousburbank

Quote from: onan on December 28, 2013, 11:05:29 AM
What is your problem with Arthiests?
People like me, who've lost their faith in the second, I mean third coming of Art Bell. Or is it fourth?

area51drone

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 28, 2013, 03:37:10 AM
Erm no. There is a misconception that just because a pilot is an Arab somehow they're not taught to fly fast jets. They are. They have proper sims and (mainly) western flight instructors. So a hypothetical Iranian in an F22 wouldn't need to get the undercarrage up to bring down a 172, irrespective who was the pilot.

Excuse me but we are talking about DOUG MASTERS here. 

This kid eats Iranian pilots for breakfast.

Looks like Iran will be importing oil this year, Chappy.

area51drone

Quote from: steelbot on December 28, 2013, 07:41:16 AM
DOn't forget the portable velcro cassette tape player for rocking 80's music to shoot down enemy planes to!

Iron Eagle - First Attack - One Vision Soundtrack

area51drone

Bateman, one of the reasons I like Ian Punnet so much is he'd do heist shows.  I love them.   I'd definitely like to see you take those topics on.

ziznak

was iron eagle the movie where the kid puts on some music ... on his walkman.  and then flys combat missions.  Even for it's time that movie was extremely.... tacky...

steelbot

Quote from: ziznak on December 28, 2013, 02:32:05 PM
was iron eagle the movie where the kid puts on some music ... on his walkman.  and then flys combat missions.  Even for it's time that movie was extremely.... tacky...
yes, and it's in the video right there that drone linked =P but yes, after taking a couple flight lessons from good ole dad and cappy - lol he's able to master the art of flying one of the US's best planes at the time. with his rocking cassette player!

bateman

Quote from: tertiaryimam on December 28, 2013, 04:21:06 AM
I'd dig it. I like "true crime" shit as much as I like paranormal stuff.

Same here. There will probably be mafia shows coming too.

Quote from: area51drone on December 28, 2013, 01:22:14 PM
Bateman, one of the reasons I like Ian Punnet so much is he'd do heist shows.  I love them.   I'd definitely like to see you take those topics on.

Did he really? I don't think I've ever heard those.

bateman

Quote from: Seraphim27 on December 28, 2013, 04:41:03 PM
I vote for Robert Kolker one of these weekends, if you can get him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/books/review/lost-girls-by-robert-kolker.html
QuoteOne study Kolker cites notes that in 2004 the leading cause of death among prostitutes was homicide, usually at the hands of their customers.
Wow. The psychology of it all is fascinating, I'll definitely do some shows on that.

bateman

Reminder: Bill Birnes tonight on the Baltic Sea anomaly, USOs & what happened behind the scenes at UFO Hunters.. podcast will available later on. This is hour 1 of a 2 part interview.

http://darkmatterradio.net

FallenSeraph

Quote from: bateman on December 28, 2013, 04:46:24 PM
Wow. The psychology of it all is fascinating, I'll definitely do some shows on that.

Missing people cases fascinate and horrify me at the same time. When I was a kid playing outside in my neighborhood, two guys pulled up in a car and one jumped out and tried to drag me in. My black lab in the backyard actually jumped our back fence in the most bad-ass superdog move I've ever seen and ran up and attacked him. He got back in the car and they took off. And as I think I mentioned, I grew up near that infamous missing kid Johnny Gosch. It was a big thing in our neighborhood (not the same one as the one where I almost got snatched) at the time when he vanished.

As for these Lost Girls, I bought the book and it really is chilling. Although they're not missing so much as missing-then-found-murdered.  :-\

BobGrau

Quote from: bateman on December 28, 2013, 04:34:29 PM
Same here. There will probably be mafia shows coming too.

Did he really? I don't think I've ever heard those.

I remember a show about art theft/forgery and another about a big diamond heist in belgium, off the top of my pointy head.

b_dubb

Quote from: Seraphim27 on December 28, 2013, 04:58:56 PM
Missing people cases fascinate and horrify me at the same time. When I was a kid playing outside in my neighborhood, two guys pulled up in a car and one jumped out and tried to drag me in. My black lab in the backyard actually jumped our back fence in the most bad-ass superdog move I've ever seen and ran up and attacked him. He got back in the car and they took off. And as I think I mentioned, I grew up near that infamous missing kid Johnny Gosch. It was a big thing in our neighborhood (not the same one as the one where I almost got snatched) at the time when he vanished.

As for these Lost Girls, I bought the book and it really is chilling. Although they're not missing so much as missing-then-found-murdered.  :-\
Bless that dog.  I hope there were a series of steak dinners for that dog after saving you.

Spinner

I finally was able to listen to the Dark Weekend as it aired.
Great show, as always, Bateman. Lots of info I hadn't heard before.
But now I'm unhappy because I'll have to wait a week to hear the rest. :(
Does that make me a bad person?

I really, really, really hope that you start doing continuous 2-hour shows.

bateman

Quote from: Seraphim27 on December 28, 2013, 04:58:56 PM

Whoa, I don't think you told me that part of it. But yeah, the Johnny Gosch story is terrifying, and when you start looking into it, is like peeling back the layers of an onion. That documentary 'Conspiracy of Silence' definitely had an effect on me. 

Quote from: BobGrau on December 28, 2013, 05:51:34 PM
I remember a show about art theft/forgery and another about a big diamond heist in belgium, off the top of my pointy head.

Those sound cool as hell. Have any links handy? I was never crazy about Ian's style, but I'd be curious to hear these.

Quote from: Spinner on December 28, 2013, 10:17:19 PM
I finally was able to listen to the Dark Weekend as it aired.
Great show, as always, Bateman. Lots of info I hadn't heard before.
But now I'm unhappy because I'll have to wait a week to hear the rest. :(
Does that make me a bad person?

I really, really, really hope that you start doing continuous 2-hour shows.

And I'd really, really, really like to.  ;D The limiting factors at the moment are my schedule, and that some guests can only do an hour or so at a time. Given the choice between one hour or zero, I'll go with one.

I'm dying to do more of these though. I know exactly what it's like to sink into bed listening to Art until 4am, totally engrossed by the material, and I hope I can give people some of that same experience.

Quote from: bateman on December 28, 2013, 10:57:42 PM

Those sound cool as hell. Have any links handy? I was never crazy about Ian's style, but I'd be curious to hear these.

From C2C: Ian Punnett was joined by best-selling author Greg Campbell, who discussed how a skilled band of Italian thieves expertly cased an ultra-secure building in Antwerp (Belgium), a town loaded with security cameras, and managed to pull off the largest diamond heist in history. The book is: "Flawless: Inside the Biggest Diamond Heist in History".

BTW, enjoyed the show tonight.  ;)

ziznak

I was waiting for more on the dulce story when it seemed like the show ended abruptly... well here I am and I got my answers here.  Can't wait to hear more!  Really loved how Birnes explained his "military official" look that whatever production company said looked great in the ufo hunters pilot.  Who'd have thought laser eye surgery could give birth to such a great TV persona. 

Of course, most of the show was really great theories from Birnes about tech and aliens and lifetime movie plots...

i just like to come round and touch on all the superficial shit.

ziznak

Quote from: steelbot on December 28, 2013, 02:55:45 PM
yes, and it's in the video right there that drone linked =P but yes, after taking a couple flight lessons from good ole dad and cappy - lol he's able to master the art of flying one of the US's best planes at the time. with his rocking cassette player!
it's funny I posted that and then realized that much of it could probly be deduced from the video clips that I didnt click.

I think most people that are old enough had to have run into that movie at some point... i get douchechills just thinking about it

Juan

Great show.  Bill could really talk.  What did you do when he got wound up?  You had time to pull a sNoory.  Did you eat a turkey sandwich?  Post on bellgab?  Google the latest news on angels?  Talk to your version of Tommy on IFB?

area51drone

Quote from: BobGrau on December 28, 2013, 05:51:34 PM

Yes, those are the two shows I can think of too, but he did other stuff that was borderline this topic, like money laundering and I want to say he did some shows on people involved in the drug business.  Ian's shows were always very well researched (by Ian) and the topics were varied enough to keep you interested.   Bateman, I think that's part of why I like your show, it is clear you do some research before having these guys on.    Another topic I'd love to hear you cover is Bigfoot.   Try getting David Paulides to talk about Bigfoot in addition to his 411 books.  Everyone loves the DP shows, and that guy loves to talk... it would be an easy A for you.

BTW, just started the Bill Barnes cast.    God I love your intro.  Best in the industry.   I look forward to your show every week Bateman.  You are the next Art.

bateman

bateman

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on December 28, 2013, 11:03:39 PM
From C2C: Ian Punnett was joined by best-selling author Greg Campbell, who discussed how a skilled band of Italian thieves expertly cased an ultra-secure building in Antwerp (Belgium), a town loaded with security cameras, and managed to pull off the largest diamond heist in history. The book is: "Flawless: Inside the Biggest Diamond Heist in History".

BTW, enjoyed the show tonight.  ;)
Thanks! That sounds cool as hell. I have an FBI agent lined up to talk art theft.

Quote from: Juan on December 29, 2013, 06:38:21 AM
Great show.  Bill could really talk.  What did you do when he got wound up?  You had time to pull a sNoory.  Did you eat a turkey sandwich?  Post on bellgab?  Google the latest news on angels?  Talk to your version of Tommy on IFB?
He's a wealth of information. Not as hard to handle as Hoagland, luckily. The best analogy I can come up with: show Bill a target & he'll unload a magazine into it. Show Hoagland the target & he'll do this:

http://youtu.be/E-piy2Wd2G4

And my sandwich of choice is roast beef, muenster cheese & tomato on a croissant.  ;)

Quote from: area51drone on December 29, 2013, 07:15:10 AM
Yes, those are the two shows I can think of too, but he did other stuff that was borderline this topic, like money laundering and I want to say he did some shows on people involved in the drug business.  Ian's shows were always very well researched (by Ian) and the topics were varied enough to keep you interested.   Bateman, I think that's part of why I like your show, it is clear you do some research before having these guys on.    Another topic I'd love to hear you cover is Bigfoot.   Try getting David Paulides to talk about Bigfoot in addition to his 411 books.  Everyone loves the DP shows, and that guy loves to talk... it would be an easy A for you.

BTW, just started the Bill Barnes cast.    God I love your intro.  Best in the industry.   I look forward to your show every week Bateman.  You are the next Art.
I am definitely going to do shows in that vein. And thanks re: the intro, I'm completely obsessed with tweaking it to set the exact tone I want. I'm obsessive about this whole endeavor in general.

And thanks so much for that last bit, though I'm not sure I've earned that distinction yet. I'm just glad you guys are enjoying these so far. I'd be really curious to know if Art has listened to any..

area51drone

Maybe I was a little forward.  But keep this up and you will be the next Art.  I guess it will depend how and if you handle unscreened callers.   If you can keep the flow of callers with a guest after an interview, then you will definitely be Art's replacement.   I hope Art comes back, and I'm expecting him to when the non compete ends, but one day he will retire for good, and that's when Dark Weekend becomes Dark Night.

I got interrupted by my wife yesterday morning so I wasn't able to finish the Bill interview, but I'll knock it out shortly.  I heard about half of the show, and from what I heard it was great.  I love getting these back stories that you don't hear from other hosts.    I mean, pretty much everyone knows who Hoagland is, but I bet hardly anyone knew the story of how he became Walter Cronkite's right hand man.   I bet hardly anyone knew how Bill Barnes got into the media and how he got his trademark cap and glasses look.  I thought he just thought he looked cool - now I know it was someone told him he looked cool so now he believes it.  I don't think I knew he was an attorney, either.  You gotta wonder where that critical thinking mind went.  None the less, he comes off as a lot more intelligent than his UFO show.   

I love how amused you were by the Lifetime movie.

Waiting for part dos...

nbirnes

Quote from: bateman on December 29, 2013, 02:53:04 PM
Thanks! That sounds cool as hell. I have an FBI agent lined up to talk art theft.

He's a wealth of information. Not as hard to handle as Hoagland, luckily. The best analogy I can come up with: show Bill a target & he'll unload a magazine into it.

Yup. Well-said.