• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Why has there never been an alternative to Art?

Started by chefist, December 13, 2015, 10:05:46 PM

chefist

Rush has dozens of alternatives that have been on the air for years...

Why can't there be one for Art? Yea, Dave sucks...George Knapp is loved, but why hasn't he been offered full time pay?

Why is it Art or nothing?

Ciardelo

It could be the time slot perhaps. Lots of people to talk their asses off mid morning to midday...not so much at night? I really don't know. It is an interesting question.

trostol

i have been looking for other things for late night..more so not as an alternative to Art but RCH and honestly..its hard to find any info about late night radio...which leads me to believe that there are none..guests do not want to probably really do a late night show unless they are in like hawaii or over seas

norland2424

I think the problem has been coast 2 coast, yea alot of us dislike noory but for every one of us there are more idiots who are content with noory.

Quote from: chefist on December 13, 2015, 10:05:46 PM

Why can't there be one for Art? Yea, Dave sucks...George Knapp is loved, but why hasn't he been offered full time pay?

Because up and coming broadcasters don't want their careers 'locked' into what is considered a kook genre?

Or lack of interest?  George Noory is willing to do it because he fell into it and couldn't get a job doing anything else, but he very clearly is not interested in the subject matter.

chefist

Quote from: norland2424 on December 13, 2015, 10:15:13 PM
I think the problem has been coast 2 coast, yea alot of us dislike noory but for every one of us there are more idiots who are content with noory.

McDonald's is falling from Grace for those seeking quality...perhaps late night talk can find a renaissance...

I'd assume because radio is a dead medium and only political or drive-time crap keeps the lights on? Why would a radio station have some unknown host on late at night who's developing a new genre when they could sell that time to advertisers?

The General

Why has there never been an acceptable alternative for..
Coffee?  Beer?
Stevie Wonder?
Chocolate chip cookies?
Mozart?  Beethoven?

Because when you define the very genre, you're irreplaceable.
I don't want to listen to some dipshit talking about paranormal shit,
I want to listen to my friend Art talk to crazy people.  It's not about the paranormal.
It's about Art Bell being a riveting radio host, entertainer, and interviewer. 

chefist

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 13, 2015, 10:19:24 PM
Because up and coming broadcasters don't want their careers 'locked' into a kook genre?

Then that explains it...political folk believe it is a calling... This genre really has no legs...the market is too small...that explains the issue...

K_Dubb

For me it's entirely style and delivery.  Both Art and Knapp are throwbacks in their style and have so thoroughly become the characters they play over the years that they seem wholly unaffected, unlike Wells, for example.  Their voices are right out of film noir, giving the ridiculous subjects they cover a gravitas that makes it easier to believe, or suspend disbelief, for a while.  Hosts of a younger generation just sound whiny, embarrassed or self-regarding.  They just don't make them like that any more.

chefist

Quote from: The General on December 13, 2015, 10:22:10 PM
Coffee?  Beer?
Stevie Wonder?
Chocolate chip cookies?
Mozart?  Beethoven?

I want to listen to my friend Art talk to crazy people.  It's not about the paranormal.

I want Art Bell...regardless of the topic...that is a start explaining things...

chefist

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 13, 2015, 10:24:38 PM
For me it's entirely style and delivery.  Both Art and Knapp are throwbacks in their style and have so thoroughly become the characters they play over the years that they seem wholly unaffected, unlike Wells, for example.  Their voices are right out of film noir, giving the ridiculous subjects they cover a gravitas that makes it easier to believe, or suspend disbelief, for a while.  Hosts of a younger generation just sound whiny, embarrassed or self-regarding.  They just don't make them like that any more.

A deeper connection... I can understand that... But life often reminds us of it's inherent capriciousness...

Gumby, Dammit

There's a simple explanation.

And here it is:

ART is the consummate interviewer, easily reading a guest's logic and  thought-vectors, plying reason and sometimes random tangents with conversational aplomb.

ART's style is solid as a rock, for which any guest no matter how nervous or insane can cling to and have fun despite themselves. This is why he's so good with newer guests and why the old crowd of manipulators had him at a disadvantage.

ART has individual STYLE that is unassuming and casual. His voice anchors the night unlike anything. There is no pretense other than what he wills-out with a tacit P.T. Barnum understanding: yer gonna be rocked tonight.

ART has ZERO phony "radio voice" affect, i.e. unlike sublime assholes like George Noory and his intolerable nauseation, along with 99.999% of other radio hosts. Art is Mr. Natural himself.

There are more I can think of. But THIS is why, I think, We all love ART the most. Because he is one COOL MOTHERFUCKER and we all know it. We'll miss him because he's what's missing most in our lives these days: GENUINE talent and mastery of communicating with others.

Dammit, Art.

jazmunda

Quote from: The General on December 13, 2015, 10:22:10 PM
Coffee?  Beer?
Stevie Wonder?
Chocolate chip cookies?
Mozart?  Beethoven?

This.

chefist

Quote from: Gumby, Dammit on December 13, 2015, 10:54:50 PM
There's a simple explanation.

And here it is:

ART is the consummate interviewer, easily reading a guest's logic and  thought-vectors, plying reason and sometimes random tangents with conversational aplomb.

ART's style is solid as a rock, for which any guest no matter how nervous or insane can cling to and have fun despite themselves. This is why he's so good with newer guests and why the old crowd of manipulators had him at a disadvantage.

ART has individual STYLE that is unassuming and casual. His voice anchors the night unlike anything. There is no pretense other than what he wills-out with a tacit P.T. Barnum understanding: yer gonna be rocked tonight.

ART has ZERO phony "radio voice" affect, i.e. unlike sublime assholes like George Noory and his intolerable nauseation, along with 99.999% of other radio hosts. Art is Mr. Natural himself.

There are more I can think of. But THIS is why, I think, We all love ART the most. Because he is one COOL MOTHERFUCKER and we all know it. We'll miss him because he's what's missing most in our lives these days: GENUINE talent and mastery of communicating with others.

Dammit, Art.

Ok, so being an "art" is more complicated than being Elvis...

I'm just not sold on there being only one...but reality is only Dave is closest in popularity... Sad

trostol

it is probably combo of things...ability, time slot..over saturation of the "product"

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: chefist on December 13, 2015, 10:59:03 PM
Ok, so being an "art" is more complicated than being Elvis...

I'm just not sold on there being only one...but reality is only Dave is closest in popularity... Sad
Maybe you came in with George and didn't here Art back in the day.
And Dickless Dave's "popularity" quotient is manufactured. Yeah, sad is right.
Then again I may have misinterpreted your OP...

chefist

Quote from: trostol on December 13, 2015, 11:01:01 PM
it is probably combo of things...ability, time slot..over saturation of the "product"

I think that's the issue... Small market...people up late listening to talk radio...

trostol

Quote from: chefist on December 13, 2015, 11:03:35 PM
I think that's the issue... Small market...people up late listening to talk radio...

the alternatives atm that run in bear the same time slot

C2C
JBW
Ground Zero
Schrader

probably a few others

chefist

Quote from: Gumby, Dammit on December 13, 2015, 11:01:58 PM
Maybe you came in with George and didn't here Art back in the day.
And Dickless Dave's "popularity" quotient is manufactured. Yeah, sad is right.

I was listening in the 90's...but if there is a superior alternative... It will win out...I think the market is too small...

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on December 13, 2015, 11:05:14 PM

C2C
JBW
Ground Zero
Schrader

probably a few others

I still don't know what you mean by jbw and are any of these shows good?

chefist

Quote from: trostol on December 13, 2015, 11:05:14 PM

C2C
JBW
Ground Zero
Schrader

probably a few others

Yup...if they were of quality... They would be #1 in the ratings...even if there was a conspiracy, online subscriptions would prove otherwise

trostol

Quote from: norland2424 on December 13, 2015, 11:07:42 PM
I still don't know what you mean by jbw and are any of these shows good?

you are going to make me say his name...its like saying beetlejuice ..say it too much and he appears

as for the shows themselves..i gave Ground Zero a shot..Clyde sounded like he was gonna have an aneurysm on the show...Dave on his own show seems vastly different then when he was on C2C...

chefist

Maybe not enough people care about these topics to have any influence.

I'm just deluding myself... There is no market here...

Am I wrong?

JamesMcDonald

It's a great question.  I've wondered about this for decades.

trostol

Quote from: chefist on December 13, 2015, 11:15:53 PM
Maybe not enough people care about these topics to have any influence.

I'm just deluding myself... There is no market here...

Am I wrong?

there is a market..just not a huge one and they are pretty..as you can see..loyal to their guy..be it Art, Dave or JBW

chefist

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on December 13, 2015, 11:18:06 PM
It's a great question.  I've wondered about this for decades.

Lol seems silly...I loved Art's old shows...but its just an old radio show...can't recapture our youth let alone an old program from am radio

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on December 13, 2015, 11:11:17 PM
you are going to make me say his name...its like saying beetlejuice ..say it too much and he appears

as for the shows themselves..i gave Ground Zero a shot..Clyde sounded like he was gonna have an aneurysm on the show...Dave on his own show seems vastly different then when he was on C2C...

You mean this chode dont ya lol

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: chefist on December 13, 2015, 11:21:28 PM
Lol seems silly...I loved Art's old shows...but its just an old radio show...can't recapture our youth let alone an old program from am radio

Yeah.  If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say it had something to do with the genesis of Art's career.  He's basically always been into ham radios and it's like his shows grew out of that inherent desire to reach out and talk to the world and listen back to what the world had to say.  It was a natural growth as opposed to just another guy who went to journalism school then sought out a job at a radio station.