• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Van Attack Toronto

Started by albrecht, April 23, 2018, 01:57:01 PM

albrecht

Authorities aren't releasing name or reason for the attack but actions of the guy makes it seem purposeful, not accidental like a seizure etc. 5 dead so far. Van jumped sidewalk and started hitting people. Where have we seen this before? Crazy person? Maybe it is just some Muslim practicing peace, so no big deal. Hold a vigil and talk about how good Islam is and that should solve the problem. Maybe ban vans in addition to guns and knives- instead of going after the real problems: crazy people and radical Muslims.
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/newsalert-toronto-police-say-a-van-has-hit-up-to-10-people-extent-of-injuries-unknown

It would appear unnamed suspect was trying the old 'suicide-by-cop' deal but cop didn't play and so under arrest.
https://t.co/ZqhTcjndBc

Juan

Could Heather get to Toronto so quickly?

Seriously, a witness saw a stroller flying through the air. How awful.

It’s a Ryder rental truck. That’s where McVeigh got his truck.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 23, 2018, 02:39:15 PM
Ban vans in North America.

Seriously? Your first thought is to score a juvenile point?

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 23, 2018, 02:42:06 PM

Well, a person controls a vehicle just as they control a weapon. Since vehicles kill, logic dictates that we should ban vehicles just as we should ban guns.  Isn't that the logic on the left?

albrecht

Quote from: Juan on April 23, 2018, 01:59:39 PM
Could Heather get to Toronto so quickly?

Seriously, a witness saw a stroller flying through the air. How awful.

It’s a Ryder rental truck. That’s where McVeigh got his truck.
Yeah, count up to nine now. People simply going about their day and walking on the sidewalk. Crazy and sad.

Ryder truck was also used in the '93 WTC bombing. One reason they caught the bomber, with the All-American name of Mohammed A. Salameh, was that he went back to Ryder claiming the truck was stolen from him and wanted his deposit back!

Kidnostad3

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 23, 2018, 02:42:06 PM

Vans are evil.   Turn your’s over to the police and no questions will be asked.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 23, 2018, 02:45:22 PM
Well, a person controls a vehicle just as they control a weapon. Since vehicles kill, logic dictates that we should ban vehicles just as we should ban guns.  Isn't that the logic on the left?
I will note that the news isn't releasing details on the suspect but were quick to describe the van as "white."

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 23, 2018, 02:45:22 PM

Because vans have only one purpose (main one is obviously to use it as a weapon), and there are absolutely no restrictions and regulations in owning or being able to drive one legally.....Oh wait.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on April 23, 2018, 01:57:01 PM
Authorities aren't releasing name or reason for the attack but actions of the guy makes it seem purposeful, not accidental like a seizure etc. 5 dead so far. Van jumped sidewalk and started hitting people. Where have we seen this before? Crazy person? Maybe it is just some Muslim practicing peace, so no big deal. Hold a vigil and talk about how good Islam is and that should solve the problem. Maybe ban vans in addition to guns and knives- instead of going after the real problems: crazy people and radical Muslims.
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/newsalert-toronto-police-say-a-van-has-hit-up-to-10-people-extent-of-injuries-unknown

It would appear unnamed suspect was trying the old 'suicide-by-cop' deal but cop didn't play and so under arrest.
https://t.co/ZqhTcjndBc

Just as there was no big deal about the kid arrested today after his dad gave him back his AR15 (The cops took it from him before) that he took to a local Waffle house and killed four people...Hey, shit happens right?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 23, 2018, 03:24:32 PM

Because vans have only one purpose (main one is obviously to use it as a weapon), and there are absolutely no restrictions and regulations in owning or being able to drive one legally.....Oh wait.

Guns protect homes and people from criminals.  That is one of their main purposes. They can also be used to illegally kill people just as a van can.

albrecht

I can't tell from the video who he is but no matter who did it I would consider it terrorism. I doubt it is a drunk driver or fellow that has a seizure and 'loses control.' It would appear the guy is trying for the suicide-by-cop but glad they got him so he doesn't get an easy way out. Though Canadian prison, I suspect, aren't as bad for criminals as ours.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 23, 2018, 03:26:12 PM
Just as there was no big deal about the kid arrested today after his dad gave him back his AR15 (The cops took it from him before) that he took to a local Waffle house and killed four people...Hey, shit happens right?
Take it to that thread. Welcome back!
http://bellgab.com/index.php?action=post;quote=1180915;topic=1945.1890;last_msg=1180915

Zetaspeak

It's a sight to see twitter reacting to this guy who kinda looks lighter skin Arab but kinda looks darker skinned white white too. His name sounds foreign, but foreign as in Armenian, which is mostly a Christian name

What a thin, thin, line between, between an entire religion is to blame who are all sophisticated  plot to take over the west vs. lone nut who is "crazy" but nobody else to blame.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 23, 2018, 02:39:15 PM
Ban vans in North America.

It's pretty obvious that we have a large vehicle problem, people. When will we wake up?! :(

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on April 23, 2018, 03:06:39 PM
Vans are evil.   Turn your’s over to the police and no questions will be asked.

Mr & Mrs America, drive 'em all in! :D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Zetaspeak on April 23, 2018, 08:48:32 PM
It's a sight to see twitter reacting to this guy who kinda looks lighter skin Arab but kinda looks darker skinned white white too. His name sounds foreign, but foreign as in Armenian, which is mostly a Christian name

What a thin, thin, line between, between an entire religion is to blame who are all sophisticated  plot to take over the west vs. lone nut who is "crazy" but nobody else to blame.

I'm sure it seems that way to the naive. :D

Hog

13 minutes ago.

Alek Minassian, 25, of Richmond Hill, Ont., has been slapped with 10 counts of 1st degree murder plus 13 counts of attempted murder.

My cousin lives in the area.

Incidents like this should drive home the fact that banning "assault rifles" will do nothing to prevent mass murders.  There will ALWAYS be alternate weapons.

Alex Minassian

peace
Hog

DanTSX

anyone who has been to Toronto lately knows that this isn’t the Canada that they pictured in their heads their entire lives.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 23, 2018, 03:37:55 PM
Guns protect homes and people from criminals.  That is one of their main purposes. They can also be used to illegally kill people just as a van can.

Funny, I don't need one and feel safe. And as I said elsewhere, only 25% of the US population have 100% of the civilian held firearms. Another fun fact: If you own a gun, you're over four times more likely to be shot with it than if you were unarmed in the first place. But back to the reason for the 2nd amdt. It wasn't written for what you suggest in your first sentence. The laughs would be hollow watching the 25% form themselves into a well armed militia, they'd not only be a danger to themselves but everyone else too.   :-\

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: DanTSX on April 24, 2018, 09:37:20 AM
anyone who has been to Toronto lately knows that this isn’t the Canada that they pictured in their heads their entire lives.

No-one has mentioned how cool the armed cop was in making the bloke lay down without firing a shot. That took some balls to be that switched on to know he had control of the situation...Just like your average American cop I guess..  ::)

GravitySucks

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 24, 2018, 11:22:33 AM

Funny, I don't need one and feel safe. And as I said elsewhere, only 25% of the US population have 100% of the civilian held firearms. Another fun fact: If you own a gun, you're over four times more likely to be shot with it than if you were unarmed in the first place. But back to the reason for the 2nd amdt. It wasn't written for what you suggest in your first sentence. The laughs would be hollow watching the 25% form themselves into a well armed militia, they'd not only be a danger to themselves but everyone else too.   :-\

Until you realize that nearly 100% of all military veterans own firearms.

I’ll get you into frontsight in pahrump id you would like to get trained.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 24, 2018, 11:25:29 AM
Until you realize that nearly 100% of all military veterans own firearms.

And they'll take on the government?

I’ll get you into frontsight in pahrump id you would like to get trained.

Trained for what? Last time I shot a rifle was about three years ago and got ten rounds grouped enough to stop anyone, one of the ten went wide because my glasses caught the sight as I squeezed it off (That pissed me off actually). Look, many years ago I looked forward to going on the range with live rounds, but I was 14-15 and it was a new thing to learn to do well; But we were well drilled and woe betide anyone who so much as thought about pointing the pointy bit anywhere but down the range.

We didn't repel the Red Coats with harsh words or sharp sticks.  Isn't history chock full of examples indicating that it's not a good idea to let yourselves be unarmed? 

It's nice to see you again Yorkshire. 

DanTSX

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 24, 2018, 11:24:56 AM
No-one has mentioned how cool the armed cop was in making the bloke lay down without firing a shot. That took some balls to be that switched on to know he had control of the situation...Just like your average American cop I guess..  ::)

DanTSX

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 24, 2018, 11:35:10 AM
And they'll take on the government?

Trained for what? Last time I shot a rifle was about three years ago and got ten rounds grouped enough to stop anyone, one of the ten went wide because my glasses caught the sight as I squeezed it off (That pissed me off actually). Look, many years ago I looked forward to going on the range with live rounds, but I was 14-15 and it was a new thing to learn to do well; But we were well drilled and woe betide anyone who so much as thought about pointing the pointy bit anywhere but down the range.

If your glasses are touching the optics at any point, you’re definitely not ready to be shooting at anything that can get mad at you for shooting at it...

Hog

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on April 24, 2018, 12:06:16 PM
We didn't repel the Red Coats with harsh words or sharp sticks.  Isn't history chock full of examples indicating that it's not a good idea to let yourselves be unarmed? 

I think your modern history is chock full of examples of something going wrong.  I don't know what it is, but something is going wrong. 
Guns aren't the answer AND they aren't the problem.

peace
Hog

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on April 24, 2018, 12:06:16 PM

Is it? Next to no-one is armed in the UK or even the rest of Europe per head of population. (Switzerland is an exception because they do have a militia rather than full time army). They have elections, in the UK they vote them out rather than vote them in, but that's pretty much the same anywhere with free elections.

Cheers. I have resolved to take breaks from here for a few weeks/months.. :)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: DanTSX on April 24, 2018, 01:28:59 PM

If your glasses are touching the optics at any point, you’re definitely not ready to be shooting at anything that can get mad at you for shooting at it...

They didn't touch the optics, I was using battle sights rather than a scope. I didn't used to wear glasses (When I learned to shoot), but old age etc.. The range officer told me that whatever I'd been aiming at would have dropped. I had the target for a while but I don't think it came over with my stuff from the UK.

Dr. MD MD