• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sustainable Dieting and Health (Naps, Diet, Exercise)

Started by Jojo, October 10, 2017, 10:16:47 PM

Jojo

Jojo

They did not make "the announcement" , whatever it is, putting it off a week.  Anything to keep an audience....

Jojo

Thank you for the support, everyone.  Don't worry; the chances of me getting too much protein are slim!  And yes, less carbs is key!

It was a good day and night.  Plenty of exercise, small portions, almost no snacking.

I do have the disease called hypoglycemia (ever since i got shocked badly by a hair dryer) every 3-5 hours, so unfortunately I no longer fast like I used to.  But, balancing meals, portion control, and getting enough protein really help.

I hate the bloating from dairy!  But sometimes i have to eat what is attainable...  Manufacturers should be required to put the lactase enzyme back into all dairy products after pasteurization!

No eggs, big allergy.  But seasoned, cubed tofu substitutes fine.

Napping is not a totally bad diet tool.  Better to nap than to have cravings.

Thursday will be another day!  My job search is fine this week, my senior cat is doing well, and i expect some news soon, so that should keep stress down.  And less stress eating is great!

littlechris

Quote from: monica on May 24, 2018, 05:55:11 AM
Thank you for the support, everyone.  Don't worry; the chances of me getting too much protein are slim!  And yes, less carbs is key!

It was a good day and night.  Plenty of exercise, small portions, almost no snacking.

I do have the disease called hypoglycemia (ever since i got shocked badly by a hair dryer) every 3-5 hours, so unfortunately I no longer fast like I used to.  But, balancing meals, portion control, and getting enough protein really help.

I hate the bloating from dairy!  But sometimes i have to eat what is attainable...  Manufacturers should be required to put the lactase enzyme back into all dairy products after pasteurization!

No eggs, big allergy.  But seasoned, cubed tofu substitutes fine.

Napping is not a totally bad diet tool.  Better to nap than to have cravings.

Thursday will be another day!  My job search is fine this week, my senior cat is doing well, and i expect some news soon, so that should keep stress down.  And less stress eating is great!

Hi Monica,

A bottle of one of these lasts me about a year:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Naturals-Acting-Lactase-Enzyme/dp/B006CRGT5K/ref=sr_1_7_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1527168842&sr=1-7&keywords=lactase

What did you have for breakfast today?

-Chris

ACE of CLUBS

Don't know if this has been mentioned .....
Coffee works quite well when you're craving a snack.  No sugar.

littlechris

Quote from: ACE of CLUBS on May 24, 2018, 07:52:13 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned .....
Coffee works quite well when you're craving a snack.  No sugar.

Absolutely,

When you start to feel slight hunger coming on, drink a cup or two of coffee. Will give an extra hour or two before it’s time to eat again. Yes coffee with no sugar. All sugars and high glycemic carbs should be eliminated from the diet.

-

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: littlechris on May 24, 2018, 08:27:01 AM
Absolutely,

When you start to feel slight hunger coming on, drink a cup or two of coffee. Will give an extra hour or two before it’s time to eat again. Yes coffee with no sugar. All sugars and high glycemic carbs should be eliminated from the diet.

-

Warning: Can lead to gut rot.  ;)

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 24, 2018, 08:41:29 AM
Warning: Can lead to gut rot.  ;)
That advice has worked for me in the past (although I cant lie about a little creamer...)

I drink decaf now, and the advice can still work as long as I don't overdo it.  Like you said, just a little cup.

Caffeinated tea works for this equation too.

Fortunately, I have always liked the feeling of hunger.  I can feel my body reduce digestive need and increase the flow of lymph and synovial fluid.  So, hunger is my friend (as long as my blood sugar trails along with a hypglycemic episode).

But i like the coffee trick when I just want to eat mindlessly bec of stress.  MD is right, tho, all things in moderation. 

Jojo

Quote from: littlechris on May 24, 2018, 07:42:30 AM
Hi Monica,

A bottle of one of these lasts me about a year:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Naturals-Acting-Lactase-Enzyme/dp/B006CRGT5K/ref=sr_1_7_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1527168842&sr=1-7&keywords=lactase

What did you have for breakfast today?

-Chris
Yes, lactaid is great!

I got up about an hour ago.  I was thinking about what you said about protein.  I am planning seasoned tofu and steamed vegetables.  And the last half of a sardine can.  It's all ready to go.  Today needs to be really good bec i haven't gained ground since Monday.  I have marked spots in the bathroom mirror where i am and where i need to be.  On the bright side, the 10lbs i lost a year ago is long gone, no sign of returning!

I was thinking of skipping breakfast and just starving until i have to eat (since i'm home today with the discretion to easily monitor hypoglycemia).  But that would be stupid, wouldn't it?

littlechris

Quote from: monica on May 24, 2018, 12:31:31 PM
I got up about an hour ago.  I was thinking about what you said about protein.  I am planning seasoned tofu and steamed vegetables.  It's all ready to go.  Today needs to be really good bec i haven't gained ground since Monday.  I have marked spots in the bathroom mirror where i am and where i need to be.  On the bright side, the 10lbs i lost a year ago is long gone, no sign of returning!

I was thinking of skipping breakfast and just starving until i have to eat (since i'm home today with the discretion to easily monitor hypoglycemia).  But that would be stupid, wouldn't it?

Hi Monica,

You never want to “starve” for extended periods of time. All that does is slow your metabolism down. I would not skip breakfast but rather have a small protein/fatty meal. Do you do protein  shakes? There is a good pea protein isolate that is almost just as dense nutritionally as whey. I will PM you the info. Also Do you have a digital scale to weight out your portions?

Jojo

Ok, stuffed for the day... with tofu rancheros a la mer...

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: monica on May 24, 2018, 01:11:57 PM
Ok, stuffed for the day... with tofu rancheros a la mer...

Can someone from Australia confirm that stuffed means something different there. :D

Quote from: monica on May 24, 2018, 12:23:12 PM
That advice has worked for me in the past (although I cant lie about a little creamer...)

I drink decaf now, and the advice can still work as long as I don't overdo it.  Like you said, just a little cup.

Caffeinated tea works for this equation too.

Fortunately, I have always liked the feeling of hunger.  I can feel my body reduce digestive need and increase the flow of lymph and synovial fluid.  So, hunger is my friend (as long as my blood sugar trails along with a hypglycemic episode).

But i like the coffee trick when I just want to eat mindlessly bec of stress.  MD is right, tho, all things in moderation.

"I do have the disease called hypoglycemia"

Coffee always messes with my blood sugar, and I only ever have black. The caffeine will spike Cortisol too, if you're prone to getting stressed out. I've taken a break over a month now, had decaf a few times, a nice treat.

ksm32

Quote from: malachi.martini on May 24, 2018, 01:47:47 PM
"I do have the disease called hypoglycemia"

Coffee always messes with my blood sugar, and I only ever have black. The caffeine will spike Cortisol too, if you're prone to getting stressed out. I've taken a break over a month now, had decaf a few times, a nice treat.

Ditto.  Without the decaf..

Lorraine Day in an interview with Art many years ago really explains it all very well. She's outta her tree when it comes to some things but not everything.  But that; is this authors opinion.

Jojo

Yeah coffee has a limited time and place... Or, maybe we've forgotten that originally a cup was only 5 ounces!!  What!!

I don't have a food scale, but i try to make my plate look like Mrs Obama's new food plate program.

I'm excited about an affordable herb "tea" i just read about to help fat metabolism.  Equal 4 parts of fennel, turmeric (!), and ginger.... with 1 part cinnamon.  I have those ingredients so that's my "date" for tonight.

MD, MITV is affecting you.  MITD is a like a drunk 14-year old boy today...

Lunch was meat. And some leftover.  I suppose i should balance the protein out, for my colon.  Maybe a tablespoon of bran?  Some vegetables... A vitamin...

I don't want bulk muscle.  I got my traps back down to normal by lowering my arms when exercising them.  But now the outside of my calves feel like a man's, with a new large ripple on each one.  Gross!  From leg lifts and marching in place.  Is it from standing leg lifts or marching in place?!  I see I'll have to get on the ground not my favorite thing, darn it.  Yuck.

albrecht

Quote from: monica on May 24, 2018, 05:50:33 PM
Yeah coffee has a limited time and place... Or, maybe we've forgotten that originally a cup was only 5 ounces!!  What!!

I don't have a food scale, but i try to make my plate look like Mrs Obama's new food plate program.

I'm excited about an affordable herb "tea" i just read about to help fat metabolism.  Equal 4 parts of fennel, turmeric (!), and ginger.... with 1 part cinnamon.  I have those ingredients so that's my "date" for tonight.

MD, MITV is affecting you.  MITD is a like a drunk 14-year old boy today...
I wouldn't use Michelle as a model on which to base a diet considering her physique. Unless you are training to be a middle linebacker.  ;)
ps: supposedly cayenne pepper is good for giving you energy and also helps in weight loss. I was cleaning out the garage and saw an old cookbook from the Junior League and it said if a housewife needed some "pep" later in the day to add some cayenne pepper to your tea.

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on May 24, 2018, 05:58:14 PM
I wouldn't use Michelle as a model on which to base a diet considering her physique. Unless you are training to be a middle linebacker.  ;)
ps: supposedly cayenne pepper is good for giving you energy and also helps in weight loss. I was cleaning out the garage and saw an old cookbook from the Junior League and it said if a housewife needed some "pep" later in the day to add some cayenne pepper to your tea.
Yeah, like later in the day when hubby comes home!  I miss house wives in the world. I'm sure they exist, but i see them about as often as golf courses.

Too much cayenne at once is fatal, but who would be able to swallow it anyway.

Mrs Obama got rid of that horrible food pyramid - Who wants to think of food in terms of a huge pyramid!  She got the concept of food back onto the plate, with space inbetween portions.

Well, maybe too many push-ups, but her figure is way ahead of me for sure.  But sometimes she looked anorexic.

GravitySucks

Too much water is fatal. Too much oxygen is fatal. Too much of anything is fatal. You can be crushed to death with a sufficiently large enough load of feathers.

Dr. MD MD

Carrot juice! I really like it. I actually enjoy the flavor and always find it somewhat energizing in a way similar to ginseng. They're both root vegetables so maybe there's something to that. It's pretty high in sugar so I suspect this may be largely responsible for this effect but perhaps there are other factors, like the carotene or other as yet undiscovered components as well.

Jojo

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 24, 2018, 07:15:03 PM
Too much water is fatal. Too much oxygen is fatal. Too much of anything is fatal. You can be crushed to death with a sufficiently large enough load of feathers.
I drink about two gallons in 24 hours.  Hopefully it wont skew my electrolytes.
Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 25, 2018, 02:31:37 AM
Carrot juice! I really like it. I actually enjoy the flavor and always find it somewhat energizing in a way similar to ginseng. They're both root vegetables so maybe there's something to that. It's pretty high in sugar so I suspect this may be largely responsible for this effect but perhaps there are other factors, like the carotene or other as yet undiscovered components as well.
Carrots seem very alive.  They energize me, too.  I love juiced veggies, although I'm not set up for home juicing right now.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Today's WOT Vanity Tear:

Yesterday my blood sugar got too low before, during, and after lunch.  I should include some carbs at every meal, even just a few.  I watched it getting lower and lower.  I know from my experience having to call paramedics, that sometimes eating does not raise it in time and even with straight glucose my numbers can continue down before they finally rise again, meanwhile leaving me unproductive at best and incapacitated at worst.  Anyhow, it came up very slowly and after all that stress i had a banana i probably didnt need!  But i just didnt want to go through a low again.  The EMTs once told me, "Just get the food in; don't worry about too much".  Sometimes by the time the symptoms from a low finally cure, it has taken so long that there is very little time to self-soothe bec the next episode can come unawares, if i dont watch the clock (bec an hour can be lost to symptoms and it's easy to forget to count that hour in the three hours the stomach takes to empty).

I did fine with protein but went too light on oil/fat.  Well, I think I'll include some grains at breakfast and lunch judt in case.  Maybe instead of a cup of oatmeal, I could have a cup of oat slurry, like half the oats.  Because hypo is serious.

Last night i did get down on all fours to exercise.  I ended up modifying that, using a box for my hands.  Did those dog-fire hydrant lifts and some kicks.  It was not my favorite position, but obviously unless I want thunder calves, I cant just keep doing aerobics standing up.

Today was about getting things done and avoiding hypoglycemia.  I woke up extremely hungry, but water calmed it down.  I was able to exercise for ten minutes prior to any other drink or food.  But then I needed to eat and get the day going quickly.

Coffee creamer is making me mad.  Morning coffee has as many calories as a small meal, as many of you have agreed.  The fake sugar ones are gross.  The almond and soy ones cost as much as lactaid medicine, so...?  I guess I'll fork over for them, though.  I really like a couple warm cups of decaf most mornings.  It makes my voice sound better too.

Breakfast was slightly processed in order to be quick, although no actual sugar other than half a banana.  Hopefully I burned it off through ten more minutes of aerobic exercise plus chores.  I walked the cat, as I usually do.  In two or three flashes of sudden insight, I solved a problem the cat and I had all year (how to pick her up ambidextrously (since she doesn't always present herself to my good side).  I have tried many times before to no good avail, but today it just fell into place!  Maybe i lost weight in brain contaminants yesterday!  Lifting her ambidetrously also gives her a better view.

Lunch was big and balanced, fajita-type food with lots of vegetables, which had been fried in some oil, a no-no sauce (just a little), a deck of cards portion of meat, and 3 of those mini-tortillas made of corn.  I just dont want any blood sugar issues after yesterday's long low, so I ate "bastante" (suffiently).

I must be on the right track with eating vegetables, bec i thought a leaf on my plate was leftover, uneaten.  Turns out it was painted on, part of the china pattern.  I finished lunch 15 minutes ago and could still eat a horse.  I'm going to wait another ten minutes since maybe my satiety hormones are clogged up.

I'd like to make my own BBQ sauce on the spot once in a while when i need it.  A can of tomato paste would make enough for two occasions and then it would be gone so i would not be tempted.   dont mind going without the smoky flavor.  Molasses is ok with me.  Making my own would eliminate the manufacturer's high fructose corn syrup and sugar.

Well, I'm starting to feel full, 30 minutes after lunch.  Geez!  Such a long time to wait and see.  During that time, I could have eaten another meal!  Looks like im in the clear until showtime.

Today is Day 2 of the turmeric herbal.  I increased the powders, working up to a tablespoon a day of turmeric, fennel seed, and ginger... Plus 1/4 tsp cinnamon.  After last night's infusion, nothing in my body or life has changed much, except perhaps clearer thinking.  Funny, clearer thinking was not stated in the video!  Buy hey!  I'll take it!

I wonder what kind of minimum wage old folks' weekend we'll have here this weekend.  The bipolar autistic's mania calmed down (or he ran out of alcohol) for two days, but i noticed last night he was up all night, and he's been gone all day, so he might be getting another mania. Or, he might sleep.  The house was quiet (other than the vacuum) all day.  He just got back, though.  When these people spend money on alcohol, we have less other essentials, but I am fine right now.  Even the dessert buffet has been (gratefully) empty for a few weeks (a miracle!).  The only sweet I am not allergic to is out in the smokey garage...

I found an additional air purifier, with ionization.  I don't know how well it works, but I could look at the filter again in a couple weeks.  I like it.  I'd like to think the ions are helping me, but how do I prove it's working!

Next week will bring economic news, so it will be a weekend of waiting.  I got a small paycheck, so at least nothing will bounce and i can keep transportation running.

Jojo

Back on the knees again!  With a knee pad!  I like the box modifier (against the stability of the bed), so my hands stay clean.  Easier than rolling out the mat.  Dog-fire hydrants, back kicks, marching on knees with low arm work...then up to march in place a little.

Four 10-minute sessions aren't working bec i tend to stop at three.
Maybe I'll do three 14-minute sessions.  (Uh, starting next time?  Busted...)

Jojo

It was a four-set day!  Yay!  Each ten minute segment goes very quickly.  And each set results in metabolic benefits afterward.

Experts are saying you get more metabolic benefits afterward from short sets then you would from one long set.  But, I'd like to see the science in that bec surely the metabolic benefit from a longer set is deeper?

good for you keeping up and keeping positive. try to stay away from your roomies as they will bring you down. take care

whoozit

Good luck monica.  You certainly are putting in the effort.

Jojo

Quote from: sumthinz going on on May 26, 2018, 02:45:33 AM
good for you keeping up and keeping positive. try to stay away from your roomies as they will bring you down. take care
Yeah, the sublessor here got drunk last night.  At least she got a ride home.  Coulda been worse.  The bipolar slept it off, I guess.
Quote from: whoozit on May 26, 2018, 04:14:40 AM
Good luck monica.  You certainly are putting in the effort.
Thank you.  The four sets did help weight loss.  I am lighter today, but unfortunately the weight did not come off the belly!  They say, "Last on, first off" so...

Today I used less creamer and part of a pink packet.  JS wouldn't like that, but it worked for me.  No more 300-calorie coffee hour! 

Today is about emotional detachment while stuck in a situation.  A bad relationship cannot ruin any more days.  No bad days.  And no bad food as a stress coping mechanism.

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on May 26, 2018, 03:22:54 PM

Nah, not so fast.

I used to have a cat that looked just like that as he got older.  One of the best cats in the world.  In hot sun, with black sun-absorbing fur, he would insist on walking right by my side.  There was shade just a few feet away, but he would not take that path.  So many times, he nearly collapsed from heat while keeping up with me and I had to carry him home quickly!

Unfortunately, the memories of victims of covert neural monitoring are stored synthetically, and replayed from time to time.  One of the most heinous things the operators (who are probably coerced) do is present deceased pets at unwelcome times.  For their own nefarious purposes.  Sometimes they communicate to each other using images in a victim's brain.  Deceased pets represent issues that were thought to have been resolved, which have resurfaced.  This is a long way of saying how this particular cat was "featured" earlier today, in a most unwelcome way.  It is cruel.  But other than recite an educational spiel and appeal for sensitivity (or tell them off and toss mental dung at them), there isn't much one can do.

Memorial Day is soon anyhow, so it was like an early start, but I don't consent to the synthetic crap.  It is demoralizing, and abuse.  Like you coincidentally doing the same thing, Hackstar, LOL.  Just kidding.  Unlike GN, I do believe in coincidences.  You and I have experienced many coincidences I never mentioned to you.  Happens all the time with you.  But, I have determined they are pure coincidence.  Some people are just like that.  In gradeschool, an acquaintence used to be able to finish my sentences, all the time, even though we only sat together once in a while, and never played together voluntarily.  She was a bit too shy for me.  Just one of those things.

Now that experts admit they can read minds, people might realize that our thoughts are frequencies. If machines can pick up the thoughts, then it is not surprising humans sometimes pick up on each other's thoughts too.  Maybe the ears can't hear such high frequencies directly, but remember it's been proven that if you can achieve one thing, you can achieve a tiny bit beyond it.  Imperceptible increases in achievement (or color wheels) show that one can get from A to B without hardly changing a thing at all if you do it in enough gradations.  So, maybe our minds have other ways of perceiving frequencies besides just the ears.  Like, if our own thoughts are frequencies and the thoughts of people around us are frequencies, we might subconsciously become familiar with the meaning behind how our mind frequency resonates with another person's, based on time and experience with that person or with that same frequency combo and the communications it usually results in.

https://frodoclark1943.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/what-happens-when-two-sound-waves-collide/

Jojo

Well, the portions are small so far, although exercise is still lacking today, so far.  Dealing with alot of emotions today.  I can't control some influences, while I seem to be rusty at convenient dissociation.

I did the turmeric-fennel-ginger-cinnamon tea again.  I decided to add a dash of pepper.  A couple more days, then done for a while.  I read today that turmeric does clean the brain, which might explain hesterday's creative insights to mundane problems.

It will be time to eat soon.  I'd like to have soup.

Jojo

Air pressure must be off today.  Haven't heard a bird all day, and usually we have a LOT.