• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Zetaspeak

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 14, 2018, 09:23:23 AM
It's nice to see long lost posters checking in.

Unfortunately nothing gets people back together like a funeral. But I agree it is nice.

Always had mad respect for Art for going against the grain when he decided to do this type of show. It was the first AM shoe I would listen to, he was something special during his peak.

I remember the first time I heard Art on radio, I was flipping the dial for some reason and heard this story of UFO and cattle mutilation, it was a total "What the heck is this" moment. But the details and storytelling, Art asking all the questions I had, the build that kept you staying on segment after segment. It certainly hooked me.

It's amazing that Art still have influenced today that I didn't know he had. Last night I checked twitter and he was Third most US trending tweet when I last checked. (even though yesterday did have so me big news happening) Not sure if it went higher, but still showed a lot of people talked about him

Roswells, Art

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

bellNwhistle

Listening to Noory's show from last night, and his official "announcement".  He's in tears, which is nice considering all of the crap he posted here in the forum.

I did not really follow Art online since the election/swearing in, however would still listen to his old shows.  I don't know that I would have known about Art Bell, were it not for my father-in-law introducing his show to me back in the late 90's.  When I couldn't hear Art live (due to retirement, etc), then I would listen to the archives. There's just nobody else who could do this genre better, and nobody else with the voice. My love for conspiracies may have started in my early years, but he made them come to life like no other. Just took a trip to see the Mothman museum. Think I'll be dedicating that trip to you, Art.

Much love and prayers for Airyn, Asia, and Alex. So sad that Alex will grow up without a dad. :'(

aldousburbank

Imus retired last month and made a big deal about being the most important radio personality ever. But I think that in terms of influencing the way people think it's a toss up between Limbaugh and Art Bell.

soulburner

I found out about this accidentally this morning (well, morning in Central Europe that is) while watching... an infowars live stream. Switched to Coast to Coast AM instantly and... well, I think Goerge Noory was genuinely sad and besides some interruptions, stupid ads and a creepy song he supposedly wrote, it was a good listen. I listened to the show and I had tears in my eyes I could not stop. It was weird. A very sad morning for me that nobody I know understood.

Rest in peace, Art.

ItsOver

A number of stations across the country carry "Somewhere in Time," replays of old Art Bell Shows, on a weekly basis.  I'll be listening tonight for old times' sake, even though Art was less than thrilled that PremRad still plays them.

6-10pm PT: Art Bell - Somewhere in Time returns to 9/2/99 when paleo-historian John Cogan offered his comprehensive history of humans on Earth.

Danger!UFO

Quote from: nooryisawesome on April 14, 2018, 11:08:09 AM

This is funny.

Quote from: Roswells, Art on April 14, 2018, 11:11:03 AM

The "turn off your radio" promo should surely bring a smile. Thanks to the internet Art's legacy will live on.

Miss you, Art.  :( :'( :-\

We all miss you.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: NowhereInTime on April 14, 2018, 08:19:50 AM
Not the time to be figuring a proprietary way to announce his passing.

Exactly.

ItsOver

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 14, 2018, 11:15:07 AM
Imus retired last month and made a big deal about being the most important radio personality ever. But I think that in terms of influencing the way people think it's a toss up between Limbaugh and Art Bell.
Yes, sir.  Those two are/were on a higher plain.

Mistwell

I've thought Art would, some day, make a come back to radio in some fashion. After his last brief stint I even bought a radio than can receive short wave signals, because he hinted it could be through that method.

And now it will never be. Unless his ghost whispers into the shortwave signal either some night.

Rest in peace Art. And thank you for all the many years of entertainment, imagination, and dreaming.

chefist

I agree...AM was dead, and had been for at least 20 years before Rush and Art revived it...Imus can't make that claim.

Here is a great playlist on Spotify...Art's bumper music...

https://open.spotify.com/user/1252347053/playlist/49OayBkZk80EI301TkJrqJ

Juan

Yeah - absolutely, and the third member of the original syndication deal, Dr. Laura, taught people to think they had dilemmas rather than problems.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Roswells, Art on April 14, 2018, 11:11:03 AM

Pass the Testor’s if you please...

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: BettyO417 on April 14, 2018, 09:27:14 AM
The post from Keith absolutely sickens me. What was the plan/undermining? Was the announcement to be so spectacular that HW & KR would use it to boost & promote MITD? In order for his fans, friends, foes to find out any information on Art’s passing would we have to go through MITD? Of course we would.

A big Thank You to Nye County Sheriffs department for saving us from the torturous task of listening to HW bring us this sad news.

+1000

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 14, 2018, 06:54:58 AM
These people and their fucking secrets. Once you die that shit is over.

Yes, the rest of us have the right to know

chefist

Quote from: Donk on April 14, 2018, 01:16:04 AM
No idea who MV is. I checked out after the Sirius fiasco. never could hack listening to Heather.

albrecht

Quote from: Zetaspeak on April 14, 2018, 11:09:27 AM
Unfortunately nothing gets people back together like a funeral. But I agree it is nice.

Always had mad respect for Art for going against the grain when he decided to do this type of show. It was the first AM shoe I would listen to, he was something special during his peak.

I remember the first time I heard Art on radio, I was flipping the dial for some reason and heard this story of UFO and cattle mutilation, it was a total "What the heck is this" moment. But the details and storytelling, Art asking all the questions I had, the build that kept you staying on segment after segment. It certainly hooked me.

It's amazing that Art still have influenced today that I didn't know he had. Last night I checked twitter and he was Third most US trending tweet when I last checked. (even though yesterday did have so me big news happening) Not sure if it went higher, but still showed a lot of people talked about him
RIP Art. Legend of radio. I wonder how the HAMS are taking it also. I was hoping it was "fake news" but appears true. Your comment was good. I hate how often it takes funerals to get folks together.
ps: just had a shot of whiskey in his honor, picked up the crawfish for a boil, and iced down the keg. I have to admit a coffee and a shot of Beam is a nice way to start a day. I could see how folks could into a habit...

After squeezing every dime he could out of Art's name while alive, Keith then tries to capitalize on his death and draw attention to DMDN. Gross.

Rest in peace, Art.

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on April 14, 2018, 11:28:45 AM
RIP Art. Legend of radio. I wonder how the HAMS are taking it also. I was hoping it was "fake news" but appears true. Your comment was good. I hate how often it takes funerals to get folks together.
ps: just had a shot of whiskey in his honor, picked up the crawfish for a boil, and iced down the keg. I have to admit a coffee and a shot of Beam is a nice way to start a day. I could see how folks could into a habit...

Never really liked coffee

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on April 14, 2018, 11:25:49 AM
LOL

heh heh

We'll see if I can't scrape together a GabCast this evening. Watch the GabCast thread for updates.

GravitySucks

Quote from: mv on April 14, 2018, 11:31:06 AM
heh heh

We'll see if I can't scrape together a GabCast this evening. Watch the GabCast thread for updates.

As your business advisor, I highly recommend you turn adsense back on for the next 7 days.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 14, 2018, 11:31:58 AM
As your business advisor, I highly recommend you turn adsense back on for the next 7 days.

If KR were running things, that would happen.

Lemmiwinks

Quote from: Zetaspeak on April 14, 2018, 11:09:27 AM

I remember the first time I heard Art, it was after a very late night at work driving home and going through radio stations.  A caller was telling Art he was a vampire and Art said he doubted that.  I listened all the way home and then went inside to finish the show.  I was hooked.  Thanks for all the memories Art and also thanks to the bellgabbers for the laughs.

Keith isn't exactly a people person, but perhaps he should get a little slack at what has to be a very distressing and emotional time

bobo17

Quote from: bobo17 on September 09, 2016, 01:54:42 PM
All I was talking with Art last night and he is kinda in the dog house. He and his wife got into a big disagreement. Art told me the story and it went something like this:

R: You bought another stupid ham raido, how much was it? 

A: Lets just say, I cashed my cheque at the ham radio out let this month.

R: You know I have been borrowing money from my mom, my sister, just to keep from losing our house and for food and school supplies for Asia. What were you thinking you inconsiderate jerk? 

A: All the other guys on the 80 meter morning net and 40 meter noon time net are always talking about the new gear they bought. Today, I went to the ham radio outlet to buy some PL259 connectors and saw the Kenwood I have been looking at in the catalog was on sale, now I have an HF rig big enough to drive my amp to full legal limit.

R: So instead of depositing your cheque into the bank so we could cover those hot cheques we wrote for the car payment, mortgage and utility bill you bought a new ham radio? You idiot.

A: But now I can finally get on 6 meters and check into the alpha marry net on 160 meters, after I make a couple of antenna modifications.

R: Is that what all the new wire in the garage is for…. More antennas. The city council has already sent us a notice about the antennas you put up around the back yard strung up between the towers. 

A: Well you saw that, well my GRV will not work on 160 meters, so I am having some of the guys from the Ham Radio club to build me a wire dipole.

R: How can you be so stupid?

A: But when there is a big emergency and all the communications goes down, I will still have my ham radio to keep in touch with people, I am in charge of our clubs red cross coordination team.

R: The Red Cross has their own radios and don’t need you and all your geek buddies in the club, none of you has ever saved a single life. If there was an emergency all of your ham radio buddies would be the first ones to run to the hills like a bunch of weenies.

A: We train all the time. We all bought matching wind breakers and ironed patches all over them so we look like officials and everything.

R: And you wonder why I don’t let you sleep in the same room as me anymore.

A: I actual prefer to sleep on the couch now, because I have my radios next to me and I can monitor the club repeater in case someone calls for me.

R: Mounting a dual band antenna and drilling a hole in the roof of car was not enough, you had to get a new HT, but even that was not enough, you had to install a dual band radio in the living room. Our house is already full of radios. All you do is sit in front of the computer and talk on the ham radio.  You don’t even shower regularly anymore. 

A: But every radio serves a certain purpose. I can talk all over the world on my dual bander, be ready with SSB ,CW and digital on the new HF rig and send dx spots over the dx cluster to the packet node while scanning the beacon band for openings. 

R: I wish you were half as excited about your family as you are about you stupid ham radios.

A: What do you mean my family comes first, that is why I am so involved in Ham radio, it’s for the whole family.

R: You are delusional.

A: I told you already, all you have to do is study, pass the test and get your technician ticket and I’ll start to love you again.

R: I hope you and your buddies drop your antenna across a power line this weekend. 

A: That’s why I installed a lightening surge protectors on the cables coming into the shack…just in case.

R:This can’t be happening I give up.

A: Good, so what’s for dinner I am starving.

R: Why don’t you see if one of your precious ham radios can feed you?

A: Ok no problem, I’ll just get on the 2 meter club repeater autopatch and order a pizza.

R: With what money, our credit cards are maxed out and our cheque book is overdrawn?

A: I added some surplus equipment to the QRS swap listing while rag chewing on the 2 meter repeater. I will go on line and see if any of it was sold. 

R: If you are smart you will sell it all and get to that meeting with Bobo and get back on the normal radio.

Grifynne

Quote from: BettyO417 on April 14, 2018, 09:27:14 AM
Has our worthy Leader MV made aware of Art’s Ride to the Light? Looking forward to MV’s thoughts. I’m sure he will memorialize Art in complete BellGab style.

The post from Keith absolutely sickens me. What was the plan/undermining? Was the announcement to be so spectacular that HW & KR would use it to boost & promote MITD? In order for his fans, friends, foes to find out any information on Art’s passing would we have to go through MITD? Of course we would.

A big Thank You to Nye County Sheriffs department for saving us from the torturous task of listening to HW bring us this sad news.  I do believe a GabCast is in order, we need to have a final farewell, A BellGab Memorial.

Nye County Sheriff's Office responded stating that they were never told not to release it and gave hours for family to be notified before doing so. Guess the cops should be sorry that MITD couldn't cash in.   ::)

GravitySucks

Quote from: mv on April 14, 2018, 11:32:38 AM
If KR were running things, that would happen.

So, are you the answer to the trivia question:

“Who was the last person to conduct a live interview with Art Bell?”