• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Me Decade: Movies, TV

Started by Nucky Nolan, November 13, 2012, 12:24:18 AM

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 16, 2012, 12:51:27 AM
    I believe Motley Crue is 4-4 in that department with their original members. KISS being the trendsetters of course...in all the worst ways. I'd rather be Eddie Slovik than join the KISS army.

They're marketing geniuses, though. Even if you're not a KISS fan, you have to admit that they deserve to be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame more than Randy Newman does.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on November 16, 2012, 01:02:42 AM
They're marketing geniuses, though. Even if you're not a KISS fan, you have to admit that they deserve to be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame more than Randy Newman does.

The Jon Landau/Dave Marsh/Jann Wenner axis of douchery will never let them in. There are some bands they have actively blacklisted. Chicago is one, KISS is the most infamous case. Randy Newman comes from a milieu that the three douches who run the place are in awe of. They share alma maters, agents, friends...it's not about giving the people what they want. It took eons to get Black Sabbath in. That says it all.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 16, 2012, 01:11:49 AM
      The Jon Landau/Dave Marsh/Jann Wenner axis of douchery will never let them in. There are some bands they have actively blacklisted. Chicago is one, KISS is the most infamous case. Randy Newman comes from a milieu that the three douches who run the place are in awe of. They share alma maters, agents, friends...it's not about giving the people what they want. It took eons to get Black Sabbath in. That says it all.

It indeed says it all. I'm not crazy about country acts and disco acts being in there, either. I certainly get why blues musicians are in there. I definitely grasp why rockabilly bands are in there. Non-rock genres should stay out, for the most part, though. Randy Newman rocks as much as John Tesh and Yanni do. I feel like I'm at a Disney movie when I hear his songs. My SO is very short too, so that doesn't help matters any.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on November 16, 2012, 01:40:06 AM
It indeed says it all. I'm not crazy about country acts and disco acts being in there, either. I certainly get why blues musicians are in there. I definitely grasp why rockabilly bands are in there. Non-rock genres should stay out, for the most part, though. Randy Newman rocks as much as John Tesh and Yanni do. I feel like I'm at a Disney movie when I hear his songs. My SO is very short too, so that doesn't help matters any.

I can see letting in some of the country artists of yore in there, because they were occasionally in the same vein as blues(and R+B), music that would slowly emerge into rock, and the Brits really alchemized it via the Stones,Yardbirds,Mayall...I'd even allow some forms of jazz, particularly fusion which was influential on hard rock and prog...oh, that's right the panjandrums in Cleveland tend to hate those genres. King Crimson, Yes, Rush...Genesis only got in for abandoning their roots.

Anybody writing a song about loving "L.A.", sarcastic or not deserves to be shunned.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 16, 2012, 12:51:27 AM
....I'd rather be Eddie Slovik than join the KISS army.     

Heh. Ah, you have a gift.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 16, 2012, 01:48:39 AM
      I can see letting in some of the country artists of yore in there, because they were occasionally in the same vein as blues(and R+B), music that would slowly emerge into rock, and the Brits really alchemized it via the Stones,Yardbirds,Mayall...I'd even allow some forms of jazz, particularly fusion which was influential on hard rock and prog...oh, that's right the panjandrums in Cleveland tend to hate those genres. King Crimson, Yes, Rush...Genesis only got in for abandoning their roots.

Anybody writing a song about loving "L.A.", sarcastic or not deserves to be shunned.

I can see that. Recognize those acts as pioneers. It's a form of snobbish "hipness" to blackball bands like Rush and Yes. They're extremely talented musicians, and progressive rock played an important role in rock history. I think that they just hate suburban teenagers. At least, that's the impression I got while perusing their magazines back when I was in high school. The critics and "experts" often hated the bands and songs that we loved. Also, we had junior versions of Jann Wenner who looked down their noses at mainstream rock.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on November 16, 2012, 01:52:31 AM
Heh. Ah, you have a gift.

But, I was born 40 years too late to use it. It was designed for Friars clubs circa 1960.

Sardondi

Okay, all at one time I'll show my age, my hopeless uncoolness and my pretensions to rock elitism to say I'm to this day a sucker for the phase shifting in Yes's "Starship Trooper"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTEDxlOi2pU

and that I think Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs" is just the coolest teen-angst-in-a-dark-rec-room riff yet known.

Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on November 16, 2012, 01:59:55 AM
I can see that. Recognize those acts as pioneers. It's a form of snobbish "hipness" to blackball bands like Rush and Yes. They're extremely talented musicians, and progressive rock played an important role in rock history. I think that they just hate suburban teenagers. At least, that's the impression I got while perusing their magazines back when I was in high school. The critics and "experts" often hated the bands and songs that we loved. Also, we had junior versions of Jann Wenner who looked down their noses at mainstream rock.

Many music critics from Lester Bangs to Dave Marsh are failed musicians who seethe at the thought of virtuosi. Pure jealousy. So they champion those who they relate to(or so they assume) and we get the shoegazing Kurt Cobains of the world. As David Lee Roth said "critics like Elvis Costello because he looks they do". And I say that as a fan of Van Halen and Elvis Costello. Completely different corners, but I don't have to hate one for liking the other. That's the Rolling Stone/Spin mentality.

They would like suburban teenagers in 2012, though...they're whiggers now.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on November 16, 2012, 02:19:50 AM
Okay, all at one time I'll show my age, my hopeless uncoolness and my pretensions to rock elitism to say I'm to this day a sucker for the phase shifting in Yes's "Starship Trooper"...

and that I think Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs" is just the coolest teen-angst-in-a-dark-rec-room riff yet known.

It's timeless music. The Yes Album was released when my MOTHER was a sophomore in high school, and Bridge of Sighs predates my arrival by 15 months. And I loved both albums for decades.

* However, I'm an anachronistic "old soul". So there's my wet blanket. 

Jasmine

Quote from: Sardondi on November 15, 2012, 11:04:18 PM
Stella Stevens was a babe.

Then here's one for you. Stella starred in this 1973 ABC Movie of the Week, "Linda". A woman (Stella) kills her lover's wife, then frames her husband for the murder. I enjoyed this one...pretty good.

"Linda" (Full Movie) (1973)

Linda - Stella Stevens (1973) Full movie

And here's another Barbara Stanwyck ABC Movie of the Week, "A Taste of Evil" (1971). Starring Babs, Barbara Parkins, Roddy McDowall, and William Windom. A woman (Parkins) returns to her childhood home after being institutionalized for years in Switzerland after being assaulted as a child. Reunited with her mother (Stanwyck), the daughter then begins to experience strange incidents in the house. Is all what it appears to be?

"A Taste of Evil" (Full Movie) (1971)

A TASTE OF EVIL (1971) #FULL MOVIE#

Jasmine

I really should have placed this one with "A Taste of Evil" above. This excellent 1961 British suspense classic hails from the Hammer production company, "Scream of Fear", is the British original version of the story, with a few differences. The story is set in the south of France, and stars Susan Strasberg, Ronald Lewis, Ann Todd, and Christopher Lee. It was also released as "Taste of Fear".

"Scream of Fear" is, in my opinion, far superior to the American version. This upload is delightfully crisp and has good sound. Enjoy...with a cup of tea. And Christopher Lee is so handsome and dashing! Oh! I'm waving my fan in front of my face! Oh, dear me!

"Scream of Fear" (Full Movie) (1961)

Taste of Fear [1961]