• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

useless information

Started by EvB, March 06, 2011, 11:40:11 AM

EvB

I get a kick out off random "facts,"  We all have a few stored in our heads, and stumble on more as time goes on.  I thought it would be fun to share some here.

My first contribution:

During the Middle Ages, murdering a traveling musician was not considered a serious crime.

EvB

From Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me -- In the U.S., "shag" is far less offensive than in other English-speaking countries. Singapore briefly forced a title change to "The Spy Who Shioked Me." ("Shioked" means "treated nicely.")

EvB

Mae West never said "Come up and see me sometime." She said "Come on up sometime and see me." Cary Grant never said "Judy, Judy, Judy," and Cagney never said "You dirty rat..."

Also, in Cassablanca Humphy Bogart, never said "Play it again, Sam" - he said "Play it, Sam"

Marc.Knight

Quote from: EvB on March 06, 2011, 11:44:02 AM

Mae West never said "Come up and see me sometime." She said "Come on up sometime and see me." Cary Grant never said "Judy, Judy, Judy," and Cagney never said "You dirty rat..."

Also, in Cassablanca Humphy Bogart, never said "Play it again, Sam" - he said "Play it, Sam"

James Cagney You Dirty Rat

EvB

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words.

Now if I could only pronounce that word, I could explain to my adviser why I hate literature reviews.

EvB

Quote from: EvB on March 06, 2011, 11:50:07 AM

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words.

Now if I could only pronounce that word, I could explain to my adviser why I hate literature reviews.

PAY DIRT!

EvB

All of the clocks in Pulp Fiction are stuck on 4:20.

onan

Quote from: EvB on March 06, 2011, 11:40:11 AM
I get a kick out off random "facts,"  We all have a few stored in our heads, and stumble on more as time goes on.  I thought it would be fun to share some here.

My first contribution:

During the Middle Ages, murdering a traveling musician was not considered a serious crime.

You mean it is now?

ok useless info:

The term "bank teller" originated in the wake of the 1929 stock market crash, when banks began hiring low-paid workers to "tell" throngs of frantic depositors that their money was gone.

EvB

Quote from: onan on March 06, 2011, 01:10:14 PM

The term "bank teller" originated in the wake of the 1929 stock market crash, when banks began hiring low-paid workers to "tell" throngs of frantic depositors that their money was gone.

Wow - that sounds like a great job -  :-X

EvB

Thousands of years before the WWF, the emperor Commodus gathered all the dwarfs, cripples, and freaks his guards could locate around Rome and had them dragged over to the Colosseum. There they were all given meat cleavers and commanded to hack each other to death.

onan

ok here is an "icky" one: In the normal human body there are actually more cells of bacteria than there actual cells that make a person.

Marc.Knight

The mite Demodex spp., which belongs to Class Arachnida, Order Acarina, lives around hair follicles or in the secretory ducts of sebaceous (fat) glands connected to the hair follicles of humans.
The preferred sites are facial skin, forehead, cheeks, eyelashes and external ear channels. The size of demodices varies from 0.1 mm to 0.4 mm. Adult parasites have four pairs of short legs. They can slowly move on the skin especially during the night. In humans, the infestation is known as 'demodicosis' and occurs world-wide. The incidence of demodicosis steadily increases with the individual's age. The infestation may be frequently free of symptoms. However, suppurative or glanulomatous reactions and inflammation in acute and chronic forms may occur due to demodicosis in humans.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: onan on March 06, 2011, 06:33:34 PM
ok here is an "icky" one: In the normal human body there are actually more cells of bacteria than there actual cells that make a person.
wow.  that was difficult for me to believe until i did some poking of my own.

EvB

Quote from: EvB on March 06, 2011, 12:10:33 PM
All of the clocks in Pulp Fiction are stuck on 4:20.

Turns out this is a myth - only the clock in the pawn shop reads 4:20

aldousburbank

Winto'green lifesavers, chewed in the dark, makes green sparks in the mouth.

EvB

Most tropical marine fish could survive in a tank filled with human blood.

oil from an orange peel is flammable.

aldousburbank

Lizard Tails:

Here where I live, there are several varieties of whiptail lizard that reproduce asexually, (from 100% female populations), a process referred to as parthenogenesis.

Somewhat useful lizard info:  A synthetic protein, originally derived from Gila Monster slobber, was was approved by the FDA for the management of Type 2 diabetes. (trade name- Byetta)

anagrammy

Did you ever know a piece of useless information that was so unsavory and weird you could not tell it to ANYONE without them thinking you were weird for telling it?  Yeah, this is that kind of thing.  I have been burdened by this tidbit for years and am GRATEFUL for the opportunity to unload it on you folks and let it go live in somebody else's head under the category "Ewe."

For some reason, god knows why, I have a fascination for the lifestyles of the gigantic human. The morbidly obese fascinate me because I cannot wrap my head around the fact that someone has to provide the mountains of food, bedpans and other support that elephant-sized people require.  Well, back in the 80's my best friend worked for the health department and she was complaining that her routine kept being interrupted by the followup social service-type visits to a morbidly obese woman.  THe woman had been hoisted out of her house and moved by some kind of pulley arrangement a piano-moving company had that worked for getting morbidly obese people into an ambulance.  In this case, they had gone back three times.  Of course, I asked the logical question, why?  My friend looked very uncomfortable and said she wasn't supposed to tell.  That did it right there--I HAD TO KNOW.  Finally, after my recalling past favors and offering inducements of borrowing certain clothing, she swore me to absolute secrecy, which I have kept until this very day.  But I can't stand it any more and since the friend and I lost contact years ago, I'm telling you--

The woman had repeated infestations of cockroaches in her vagina.

I KNOW!-- a million questions come to mind.  Here are a few of mine

(OMG how did she know? --she didn't, she was too fat to see, she just itched)
(Were they...eating her?  --yeah, well biting anyway)
(How did they get rid of them?  --iodine antiseptic douche)
(Why did they keep coming back? --she didn't move her position in bed enough)
(What were they going to do? --1) treat the house 2) teach her "caregiver" to give her the douches)

Anagrammy

Ten C

aaaaaaaaaaaaa.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa.

dear god.

aaaaaaaaaaaa.

b_dubb

Ana ... you really should have kept that to yourself

i think the rescue crew (and in this case .... rescue is correct and stretched to it's most insane and disgusting extreme) should have invoked the Gilbert Grape solution: set fire to the house and walk the fuck away. 

i will never eat again

Eddie Coyle

Good to see that Fort Rock has company at the "home"... ???   Risperdal alert ! Actually, that charming story of a twat in need of Orkin makes his "Art's coming back" stories seem clear-headed.

As Phil Hendrie would say.."JEEE-ZUS"...

Ahhhhhhhh, my eyes, MY EYES.............

Oh, wait......Ahhhhhhhh, my ears, MY EARS...............

No, wait..........Ahhhhhhhhhhh, my mind, MY MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to go whimper in a corner now.

b_dubb

TMI has reached epic levels.  this is the kind of story that might make world weary emergency room personnel shriek in horror.  seriously

anagrammy

Yep, file under Weird News.  Knowing this has haunted me all these years--every time I saw a morbidly obese show on tv, it would come back to me and I would wonder whether and if this has occurred elsewhere and is just to gross to report. 

I must admit to feeling some relief in sharing it--like the man my father told me about who was told a secret by the king and had to go dig a hole and whisper into the hole "The king has donkey ears."

I always thought I was too young to get that joke.  Now I think I only heard part of it.  Anyone know the rest?

Carry on with worthless information....

Anagrammy