• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Steve Warner's Dark City

Started by bateman, October 27, 2013, 03:54:49 PM

AZ/CO

Quote from: Juan on January 05, 2014, 12:02:30 PM
Can't you record audio in Garage Band, and doesn't that come with all Macs?

Yes, I can record the audio with Garage Band.  Would you know how to then transfer to my Mp3 player?  When I plug the player into my computer, it is not recognized.  Maybe re-loading the software disc that came with it??

ziznak

Billy Bee part two was a good listen!  Bateman if you could do shows daily I would listen to you before playing Dark Matter Radio roulette or searching recent Crap to Crap shows.  I know thats not saying much but yeah... you should be getting paid to do your show and it should air more than once a week.

Pam J

You are amazing.  Even the guests seem different with you.  They Sound different.  This is so wonderful to be "looking forward" to a radio show again!  Hoagland was spectacular in your company, I mean I was mesmerized, as if it was the very first time I've ever heard him interviewed!  He sounds just totally different with Art Bell, and I don't mean in a good way.  You are well received and respected and it is clearly creating the magic.

I am so excited to listen to your show! ty ty ty!

Pam J

Quote from: ziznak on January 06, 2014, 01:43:53 AM
Billy Bee part two was a good listen!  Bateman if you could do shows daily I would listen to you before playing Dark Matter Radio roulette or searching recent Crap to Crap shows.  I know thats not saying much but yeah... you should be getting paid to do your show and it should air more than once a week.
Agree!

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Pam J on January 06, 2014, 01:45:45 AM
This is so wonderful to be "looking forward" to a radio show again! 

I agree.  For the first time in over a decade, I have a show I actually look forward to.

saucerlike

Damn, I really need to catch up on these shows; haven't since the RCH episode.  I do like to let them build up though, then listen to 'em all during an afternoon or evening.  Both the DeLorean and immortality research shows look pretty interesting. 

bateman

Quote from: George Drooly on January 02, 2014, 08:34:58 PM
More suggestions for interviews:

Lawrence Wright, who has written excellent books about 9/11, Scientology, and the 1980s Satanic abuse scare.

Related to Scientology, Jack Parsons is an extraordinarily interesting subject: founder of JPL and, sure, why not, practicer of Black Magic with Hubbard and others. Two books written about him:

This reminds me, I've been considering doing a Johnny Gosch show. It would be a solid 3 hours, there's so much material to get to. The story from start to "finish" is fucking horrifying though, so I'm a little hesitant to put it all out there.

Quote from: George Drooly on December 31, 2013, 12:16:40 PM
If Nooron were doing this interview, it would consist entirely of "Back To The Future" questions; it's also likely he thinks the DeLorean is a real time machine.
Heh, it was mostly on John DeLorean's impact on Belfast, his legal troubles & possible conspiracy to bury the company by Thatcher, Reagan & The Big Three.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on January 05, 2014, 04:19:43 AM
Another great show. Birnes left us with a heck of a cliffhanger-secret financiers funding invisibility suits and other super secret military tech.
Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 05, 2014, 05:17:20 AM
Great conclusion with Bill Birnes Steve. I wish you'd followed up the Bill and Barney hill story, with the question; "What did the 'aliens' call Zeta Reticula? Is there any reference to that anywhere?
I do love the cliffhangers.  ;D

Ya know, I'm not sure. I'll dig up my copy of Interrupted Journey.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on January 05, 2014, 07:02:47 AM
Another really good interview, Bateman. Birnes is a good interview, and you managed to rein him in at one point, kudos to you.

Whenever I hear him going nonstop on one good lungful of air, I think of a three way conversation between him, Bruce Goldberg and Hoagland. It would be incredible.
Quote from: Ms. C on January 05, 2014, 07:59:48 AM
Excellent show Bateman .... (I think you reined him back more than once) ... but you did and back on track the show went ...

Thanks for the good show and thanks to Bill Birnes for sharing his knowledge.
Yeah, I have to try & stick to only a couple topics per hour, otherwise heads are left spinning.

bateman

Quote from: AZ/CO on January 05, 2014, 09:24:01 PM
Yes, I can record the audio with Garage Band.  Would you know how to then transfer to my Mp3 player?  When I plug the player into my computer, it is not recognized.  Maybe re-loading the software disc that came with it??

You can download the files directly from SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/dark-weekend or via iTunes, which is probably the easier way to do it on a Mac: https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/dark-weekend/id775088884?mt=2

bateman

Quote from: tertiaryimam on January 05, 2014, 11:05:43 AM

Yeah. I just got done blowing snow (no oral sex jokes, please).

I blew that snow for like 30 minutes. I even blew the neighbors snow. I was a snow blowing fiend.

Great Bill Birnes interviews. Number 2# was my favorite (no poop jokes please). Listening to Bill Birnes is a lot like reading the works of St. Dionysius the Areopagite, as there's a lot of ground covered in a very short amount of time. You weren't kidding about the machine-gun analogy. I've re-listened to the first one already and I'll need to re-listen to the second one.

The questions were especially good on number 2# --- a lot of them were the same things I've asked. The whole UFO abduction phenomena is infuriatingly unboxable. I don't think everyone's an out and out liar, so something strange is apparently going on, but I'm willing to bet that it isn't extra-terrestrial.

I've had lucid dreams / hypnogogic states for a while now, and there's been nothing remotely like an alien abduction. Or pirate heads for that matter. But, I've felt things quite vividly, and had the sort of lucid dream where you dream you wake up, and your house is the same and everything feels quasi-normal, but then some shit goes down.

Here's something I've thought about: what if the so-called "screen memory" is actually what they saw, as a sort of lucid dream, and later the UFO analyst talks them into turning it into an abduction scenario. I've done stupid regression games on friends and I was able to lead them all sorts of places. Were they bullshitting me? Well, when my kitten jumped on them in the middle of it they about had a heart attack. The fear was real, so I dunno.

Great way to put it.

And yeah, it's a reasonable question to ask whether or not the therapists are leading people into the abduction scenario, but I know David Jacobs says he makes sure to phrase questions in such a way that he doesn't. How successful he is at it, I don't know, I've never sat in on one of these hypnosis sessions. I'd like to.

You've hypnotized your friends?

bateman

Quote from: ziznak on January 06, 2014, 01:43:53 AM

Quote from: Agent : Orange on January 05, 2014, 11:47:53 AM
After a few interruptions I'm up to date! :)

I really love the two part interview and the 2 hour length. This is for me the perfect amount of time to get a lot of information out and really pick someone's brain. I'm hoping that if there are more opportunities you will post more two parters.

Just so you know, around 4:30 in the second part there are a number of WABC station IDs that play over Bill. That was a bit jarring. Also I was unable to find part 1 of the interview on the main DW page and had to go to soundcloud directly to get it.

As usual, great job. Still super impressed with the show and can't wait to learn all about the DeLorean! :)

1. There are definitely plans to expand.  8)  In the near future I'd like to be doing 2 longer shows per weekend, then work up to a few days a week.

2. Editing error on my part. Goddamnit.

3. Part 1 is linked up on the main page now. Thanks for the heads up.

bateman

Quote from: Pam J on January 06, 2014, 01:45:45 AM
You are amazing.  Even the guests seem different with you.  They Sound different.  This is so wonderful to be "looking forward" to a radio show again!  Hoagland was spectacular in your company, I mean I was mesmerized, as if it was the very first time I've ever heard him interviewed!  He sounds just totally different with Art Bell, and I don't mean in a good way.  You are well received and respected and it is clearly creating the magic.

I am so excited to listen to your show! ty ty ty!

Quote from: HorrorRetro on January 06, 2014, 10:47:57 AM
I agree.  For the first time in over a decade, I have a show I actually look forward to.

Best compliments ever. 'Appointment radio' is what I think every broadcaster aspires to create.

area51drone

Definitely count me in on the appointment Bateman.  While I don't listen live, I love the show and tell all my friends about it.  I was a little disappointed on the last hour of the BB two parter, in how you readily accepted the Betty Hill map claims, but I get it, you have your number 9's too.   You did call him out on other things though, which is important to show you don't accept all of the bullshit slung your way.  Keep it up and we'll keep listening. 

In regards to "The story from start to "finish" is fucking horrifying though, so I'm a little hesitant to put it all out there."    Shit man, this is what people are looking for - don't pigeon hole yourself into mainstream.  People want to be shocked and awed.  Bust open the door and surprise everyone.

nbirnes

Quote from: area51drone on January 06, 2014, 01:06:44 PM
Definitely count me in on the appointment Bateman.  While I don't listen live, I love the show and tell all my friends about it.  I was a little disappointed on the last hour of the BB two parter, in how you readily accepted the Betty Hill map claims, but I get it, you have your number 9's too.   You did call him out on other things though, which is important to show you don't accept all of the bullshit slung your way.  Keep it up and we'll keep listening.

In BB's defense, he doesn't intentionally sling. He does try to build an argument with established facts and then extrapolate from there. His extrapolation can range into speculation -- we're working in a mystery field and it's hard to get straight answers from the disinfo agenda. Speculation can often draw people into a conversation about "why" and "who might" be behind this mystery.

But I can vouch that we are trying to dismantle that disinfo, lie by lie. It gets knotty.

QuoteIn regards to "The story from start to "finish" is fucking horrifying though, so I'm a little hesitant to put it all out there."    Shit man, this is what people are looking for - don't pigeon hole yourself into mainstream.  People want to be shocked and awed.  Bust open the door and surprise everyone.

There's where Bill really can fill in some info, since he's been working the true-crime beat a whole decade or more before joining the fun UFO topic. We have boxes of stuff from those satanic-frenzy days, and that stuff is horrific, as bateman said.

And let me happily join in the chorus of joy for a really good show! We do ours live, but that's just because we're older and have less to lose. :)

Quote from: bateman on January 06, 2014, 12:29:09 PM

Yeah, I have to try & stick to only a couple topics per hour, otherwise heads are left spinning.

When you have a guest who's really enthusiastic about his/her subject, it's like listening to a really good conversation between friends. I like the enthusiasm Birnes brings, or Hoagland. I joke about reining them in, and yeah they do go off on tangents, but tangents can lead to unexpected and fun discoveries. Maybe gently corral would be a better term.  ;)

wr250

Quote from: bateman on January 06, 2014, 12:50:55 PM
1. There are definitely plans to expand.  8)  In the near future I'd like to be doing 2 longer shows per weekend, then work up to a few days a week.

2. Editing error on my part. Goddamnit.

3. Part 1 is linked up on the main page now. Thanks for the heads up.

sweet . im looking forward to it

area51drone

Quote from: nbirnes on January 06, 2014, 02:20:56 PM
In BB's defense, he doesn't intentionally sling.

Ms. Birnes, just so you know, I actually came out of these shows with a vastly increased respect for Bill. 

nbirnes

Quote from: area51drone on January 06, 2014, 03:10:07 PM
Ms. Birnes, just so you know, I actually came out of these shows with a vastly increased respect for Bill.

Ya see that?! Thank you, bateman. I just wish I could get up the courage to see Amer. Psycho. Your avatar scares me silly.

HorrorRetro

This reminds me, I've been considering doing a Johnny Gosch show.

I'd be very interested in what you can come up with on this case.  It's one of those stories that you never forget.

Quote from: nbirnes on January 06, 2014, 03:19:54 PM
I just wish I could get up the courage to see Amer. Psycho. Your avatar scares me silly.

I finally got my husband to watch it the other day.  ;D  I read the book the week it came out.  A co-worker and I had it at work and would pass it back and forth on our breaks.

nbirnes

Quote from: HorrorRetro on January 06, 2014, 04:00:19 PM
I'd be very interested in what you can come up with on this case.  It's one of those stories that you never forget.

Ditto. It's a very very deep hole of gloom. Proceed carefully.

I finally got my husband to watch it the other day.  ;D  I read the book the week it came out.  A co-worker and I had it at work and would pass it back and forth on our breaks.

I saw previews and I've read the Wiki spoiler page. Can you tell me if certain images in the movie have never left your mind? Those might be the ones I'll know to look away from. I almost got through Pulp Fiction using this approach, but I couldn't finish it.

I just hate to see people suffer -- especially bums and women. But, just for the biz card scene alone ... I have to see it.

Spinner

I just finished listening to the 2nd hour of the Bill Birnes interview. Excellent show! Loved all the topics covered, but I think next time you guys need to focus on one topic and give us all the juice details.

And as other have stated here, I too love to listen to you, Bateman. :)
I'm now willing to bet that you will be "the One."

Looking forward to many more of your shows. And again, please start doing two continuous hours as soon as possible.

Now I must listen part 1 again immediately followed by part 2. Hopefully can get them both in before the GabCast begins. ;)

bateman

Quote from: area51drone on January 06, 2014, 01:06:44 PM

The "moaning" coming from the vents at Dulce was a little too much for me, like I said, I'm more inclined to believe it's ducts expanding or contracting than prisoners of exotic genetic experimentation.

As far as the star map, it hasn't adequately been explained away, as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to put out bad information, but if the goal is to pick apart every single bit of uncertain material, it's just going to be a different show. I'd rather not turn it into Skeptoid.

Quote from: nbirnes on January 06, 2014, 02:20:56 PM
It gets knotty.

You said it.

bateman

Quote from: area51drone on January 06, 2014, 03:10:07 PM

Same. I will shoot down things I think are egregiously wrong, but ultimately what you believe is up to you. Nancy told me he was an encyclopedia & fun to talk to. I found that to be true.

bateman

For anyone who's interested in a Johnny Gosch primer, this is the documentary to watch.

http://youtu.be/asvl6kO1Vo8

FallenSeraph

This reminds me, I've been considering doing a Johnny Gosch show. It would be a solid 3 hours, there's so much material to get to. The story from start to "finish" is fucking horrifying though, so I'm a little hesitant to put it all out there.

Noreen would definitely do the interview.

I know I've told you in PM but can't remember if I mentioned it here (probably) -- I lived near him when he got snatched. It was traumatic for everybody. So then as a kid I grew up morbidly fascinated and always sort of looking around Des Moines for him.

Just be careful. Creepy territory, that. You have to watch the Paul Bonacci interviews on YouTube.  :-X

Here's the latest MSNBC documentary on it -

https://archive.org/details/MissingJohnny_294

HorrorRetro

Quote from: nbirnes on January 06, 2014, 04:06:04 PM

I saw previews and I've read the Wiki spoiler page. Can you tell me if certain images in the movie have never left your mind? Those might be the ones I'll know to look away from. I almost got through Pulp Fiction using this approach, but I couldn't finish it.

I just hate to see people suffer -- especially bums and women. But, just for the biz card scene alone ... I have to see it.

To me, the book was far more graphic. Scenes from the book are stuck in my head.  The movie, to me, is more satirical in nature.  Yes, there are some pretty gruesome scenes, but it's really not too bad. I think if they'd followed the book more closely, they would have had to go with an X rating for extreme gore and sexual violence.

Is the show broadcast live on the dark matter network?

Great to hear about expansion plans too :)

George Drooly

Johnny Gosch show sounds great, but as all have said, a real can of worms... You might also consider talking to John W. DeCamp.

area51drone

Quote from: Agent : Orange on January 06, 2014, 08:28:23 PM
Is the show broadcast live on the dark matter network?

Great to hear about expansion plans too :)

I believe he pre-records them and then plays them on the dark matter network.

ziznak

Quote from: area51drone on January 07, 2014, 02:33:23 AM
I believe he pre-records them and then plays them on the dark matter network.
yup they premiere on the dark matter network but are recorded and edited earlier I believe.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: bateman on January 06, 2014, 05:43:03 PM
For anyone who's interested in a Johnny Gosch primer, this is the documentary to watch.

This is the first time I knew of this story. Ironically Yorkshire Television is no more as it was known. I've just watched this YT vid and I'm non the wiser; who is Johnny Gosch? I appreciate that if you're in the know, it's revisiting old ground, but for those of us who aren't familiar it would be a welcome addition.

What is the state of play now? Is it as the documentary left it? Un-broadcast and covered up? What an indictment of the notion of free speech eh?