• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: b_dubb on April 01, 2015, 12:26:24 PM
http://www.wired.com/2015/04/internet-radio-soulless-outlaw-station-fix/?mbid=social_fb

Submitted for consideration by any / all radio nerds

Thoughts?

(Waving my hand in the air>>Radio nerd!)

This is great news b_dubb, and another example of how communities can bring back local radio!  I saw that "On Air" window sign and was reminded of this from 60 yrs ago. KRKD, Los Angeles deejays broadcasting from a record store, bringing local communities together.  Added benefit now is even small community terrestrial stations can stream worldwide.

http://dolphinsofhollywood.com/home/about/history/?nggpage=3

[attachimg=1]

Pale Horse

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 01, 2015, 01:50:43 PM
   Charlie's Angels Fight The Weather Maker At Fukushima is her current project. But Ghostbuster Gals II could happen.

They better hurry up with that one. They got about three more years before a real-life Godzilla emerges from the waters below Fukushima.
Hopefully, the GB.G.'s will be around to save us... and Art will be there also to interview scientists and stuff.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Art Bell on April 01, 2015, 12:54:54 PM
I don't want to believe, I want to know, I want to prove, I want evidence.

Belief is for those willing to accept things without real evidence.

Art

Unlike some radio hosts, Art Bell has an excellent innate BS meter.

[attachimg=1]

BattyBrooke

Quote from: Pale Horse on April 01, 2015, 05:15:36 PM
now if you people can just weave your truths into well-placed dick jokes...

There was a young man from Nantucket...

aldousburbank

Quote from: rzr1911 on April 01, 2015, 02:55:52 PM
right. I don't know wtf people are talking about here. There's 2 kinds of smart people. One needs to write a whole dissertation to explain something, giving the reader a headache, the other can explain the same thing in a casual chat that is interesting & fun for everybody.
I believe he means to say he owns a jeep but I only have his word on it.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Marc.Knight on April 01, 2015, 02:25:31 PM
Excellent suggestion - and would make a wonderful show.  In my opinion "belief should follow evidence" is a principle that can be based on conjecture or experience.  In effect, the principle is stating that belief should be based on evidence, and with an absence of evidence there should be no belief.  Another way of looking at this is to say that there can be deductive theories based on conjecture (that beg to be proven or disproven) and inductive theories derived from evidence that beg to be reproduced.  Belief itself can hold meaning in the realm of conjecture, or not based on sense-derived knowledge.  "I believe that I had a thought" is nearly impossible to prove by evidence other than my own subjective awareness that I did, indeed, experience a thought.  "I believe that I own a Jeep" is beyond conjecture and is provable by providing various types of applicable evidence.  Therefore, context is important, such that "belief" as a concept may be detached from what we conceive as "the world" or, deeply derived from it.  One's "precept" attributed to the contextualization of belief will determine the level of sensible, conceptual evidence required, and whether "belief should follow evidence" in this instance.

This has the look of philosoballs to me. The physicist Alan Sokal parodied this kind of writing when sending up the French structuralists and their use of mathematical concepts that they plainly didn't understand, and which were evidently only there to dress up their rather moribund ideas. You see this a lot in books which have forbidding titles like 'Types of Ethical and Cognitive Theory'. It's not always possible to expound complicated ideas in simple language, but it is certainly very common to take quite straightforward concepts and smother them in a trailing ivy of verbiage. I refer you to Orwell's essay 'Politics and the English Language' - don't use a big word when a smaller one will do. That last sentence of yours was pure obfuscation in my opinion.

WOTR

Quote from: chinaclipper on April 01, 2015, 01:07:21 PM
"I don't want to believe, I want to know, I want to prove, I want evidence.

Belief is for those willing to accept things without real evidence.

Art"

If only we could make this the mantra of every adolescent in the world!!!
Why?  Isn't that time of life for belief that you can change the world- that you can make a difference- for belief in what may not make sense while you explore?  Why wish every young person to be a buttoned down accountant or lawyer demanding proof of everything?

I don't want to imagine a world where this would come to pass (and I don't want to believe it could happen.) ;)

Art Bell

I did not say I do not have hope, I hope there is a God, I hope I get to see proof of Aliens, whatever, but until there is proof I choose not to believe. I do not think any less of you if you take that leap of faith.

Art

Sredni, if you think that's bad, you should read Derrida or Heidegger - my brain figuratively melted from the inside out trying to understand Sein und Zeit :o Good old "philosoballs" aka obscurantism of the highest order ;D

onan

Quote from: Art Bell on April 01, 2015, 05:59:21 PM
I did not say I do not have hope, I hope there is a God, I hope I get to see proof of Aliens, whatever, but until there is proof I choose not to believe. I do not think any less of you if you take that leap of faith.

Art

Faith is one of those things that has many different facets. Having faith that one can overcome obstacles can lead to a more positive outlook and attitude. But it can also lead to a fools paradise. Without some level of reasoning faith is just avoiding reality.

I have faith that MITD is going to kick C2C squarely in the bowling bag.

Glorious collateral damage.

Faith without works is dead, Dave. Prepare for the invasion.

Heather Wade

Quote from: Art Bell on April 01, 2015, 02:47:46 PM
My goodness there are some truly smart people on here, very well written. Perhaps you should be doing a Talk Show.

Art

I wish, but for now will settle for co-hosting the GabCast & leave the talk show hosting to you, sir.  We love ya, miss ya, can't wait to hear ya.
And I agree with everything LoneVoice, Aldous & Camazotz said.

Ms. C

Quote from: (Redacted) on April 01, 2015, 06:46:15 PM
I leave the talk show hosting to you, sir.  We love ya, miss ya, can't wait to hear ya.
And I agree with everything LoneVoice, Aldous & Camazotz said.

Thank you Art for being you and for opening up and sharing of yourself with us vaguely lovable characters on BellGab ... we all mean well and know you will get your show going ... perhaps not right in July -- whenever your ready .. so are we.  (I am absolutely loving the ride you're taking us on right now!!!)

Sincerely, Ms. C

Marc.Knight

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 01, 2015, 05:38:30 PM

This has the look of philosoballs to me. The physicist Alan Sokal parodied this kind of writing when sending up the French structuralists and their use of mathematical concepts that they plainly didn't understand, and which were evidently only there to dress up their rather moribund ideas. You see this a lot in books which have forbidding titles like 'Types of Ethical and Cognitive Theory'. It's not always possible to expound complicated ideas in simple language, but it is certainly very common to take quite straightforward concepts and smother them in a trailing ivy of verbiage. I refer you to Orwell's essay 'Politics and the English Language' - don't use a big word when a smaller one will do. That last sentence of yours was pure obfuscation in my opinion.

Respectfully, if your knowledge is limited to what you characterize as "philosoballs" as a discipline then I have nothing more to say, as it certainly would not be understood by you.  There are actual thresholds of awareness, conceptualization and knowledge where a lack of a common frame of reference proves too challenging for some to overcome.  This can be found where, rather than a person finding intellectual challenge and concentrated analysis in a statement, one only finds "obfuscation".

albrecht

Quote from: Marc.Knight on April 01, 2015, 07:00:55 PM
Respectfully, if your knowledge is limited to what you characterize as "philosoballs" as a discipline then I have nothing more to say, as it certainly would not be understood by you.  There are actual thresholds of awareness, conceptualization and knowledge where a lack of a common frame of reference proves too challenging for some to overcome.  This can be found where, rather than a person finding intellectual challenge and concentrated analysis in a statement, one only finds "obfuscation".
Personally, listening to Norry, I think I am a brain in a vat that only produces epistemological nightmares as I can't even fathom any a priory knowledge like simple logic, math, or geometry- much less moral or scientific concepts. Maybe he summons the opposite of "King David's magic music," as advertized on C2C, in his voice via wave-forms? The opposite of Fibonacci tunings?

I want Art back!

Marc.Knight

Quote from: albrecht on April 01, 2015, 07:09:55 PM
Personally, listening to Norry, I think I am a brain in a vat that only produces epistemological nightmares as I can't even fathom any a priory knowledge like simple logic, math, or geometry- much less moral or scientific concepts. Maybe he summons the opposite of "King David's magic music," as advertized on C2C, in his voice via wave-forms? The opposite of Fibonacci tunings?

I want Art back!

You are so correct!  Dave's suckage is so complete that he eventually sucks away whatever intelligence his sad audience had. 

Forget random number generators, here's a random gibberish generator :P http://rubberducky.org/cgi-bin/chomsky.pl

VegasI15

Quote from: Pale Horse on April 01, 2015, 05:15:36 PM
I'm starting to get this... somehow, less is more... now if you people can just weave your truths into well-placed dick jokes...

There was a young lady from Venus - Data's limerick .

Heather Wade

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 01, 2015, 10:52:33 AM
Dear Art,

May I be so presumptous as to suggest that you ocassionally open up a dedicated "Vaguely Loveable" line for us BellGab trash?

Art is likely to consider that, just the kind of cool guy he is. 
Complete opposite of The Nooron, who uses Tommy as some sort of anti-BellGab device.

Quote from: channer1 on April 01, 2015, 07:12:24 PM
  po-tweet

Reported.

Sent report throughout all dimensions, known and unknown branes via the commonality of a gravity wave, even to the branes that just now perished as I posted this. So it goes.

Quote from: (Redacted) on April 01, 2015, 08:05:57 PM
... The Nooron, who uses Tommy as some sort of anti-BellGab device.

Sometimes, alien high technology is such a treacherous bitch!

Damn Tommyknockers.

;) :D

Interesting..
Clyde Lewis tonight just said he was picked as Art Bell's replacement the first time, but that he said no. Instead he said he wanted to be Art Bell's replacement's replacement.

Pale Horse

Quote from: Marc.Knight on April 01, 2015, 07:12:38 PM
You are so correct!  Dave's suckage is so complete that he eventually sucks away whatever intelligence his sad audience had.

Now, you're making some sense. Before you sounded all uppity and edumacated.

munbeam666

:-\
Quote from: Art Bell on April 01, 2015, 12:01:47 PM
Thank you, I hope we get the Contract and all is well, my concern is only that each step has taken so long. It's true I am not patient, this is a project that I want to get on with, there is so much to do.

I have no reason now to think there is a problem, it is just sooo slow.

Art
Lawyers have a tendency to stretch things out...racking up those billable hours, but a good one they are looking out for your interests

Quote from: munbeam666 on April 01, 2015, 08:44:22 PM
:-\ Lawyers have a tendency to stretch things out...racking up those billable hours, but a good one they are looking out for your interests

Similar to the difference(s) between a parasitic broker and a personal financial adviser?

paladin1991

Quote from: HorrorReporter on April 01, 2015, 08:17:55 PM
Interesting..
Clyde Lewis tonight just said he was picked as Art Bell's replacement the first time, but that he said no. Instead he said he wanted to be Art Bell's replacement's replacement.
Sounds like he chose poorly.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: HorrorReporter on April 01, 2015, 08:17:55 PM
Interesting..

Never say never. It took merely 17 years for Johnny Carson's replacement to be replaced.

Though that replacement was replaced rather rapidly.

Another interesting this dropped by Lewis tonight.. He came up with the Chupacabra song that Art played and was angry when Art played because it wasnt te version he wanted released

Also playing the song tonight that Art a Bell rejected about the comet Hale Bopp

Rarely listen to Clyde's show, but he's really riding Art's proverbial tonight.