• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Richard Dawkins - The Greatest Show on Earth

Started by Silent, April 28, 2011, 09:14:39 PM

Silent

While not related to CTC at all I thought it might be fun to toss this topic out among all the thoughtful, well spoken people here.

I've been listening to the audiobook version of an older book by Dawkins called The Ancestor's Tale which reminded me of how much I liked The Greatest Show on Earth.  For those who havn't read this it's about the evidence of evolution and how and why it works the way it does.  I've been a long time subscriber to the idea of evolution but admittedly knew very little of the science behind it or what drives it.  It just made logical sense to me I guess.

Greatest Show had several of those 'ah haa!' moments of epiphany for me where suddenly I saw with a greater understanding how the world around me works.  What I thought about evolution prior to the book wasn't necessarily wrong but just not the whole picture.  More like a small piece of it.  Listening to the audiobook was a humbling experience for me.  The author (and his wife/girlfriend/BFF or something like that) does the reading and they do a pretty good job of it.  Dawkins seems to have a way of making something hugely complex easily understandable.  He's like the Michio Kaku of biology for me.

The memories of the book came about since I'm going through his other book now mentioned above.  The Ancestor's Tale so far isn't as captivating but still interesting.  It's basicly follows human ancectors back through time down to tiny water borne organisms.  At least I think that's where it's going, I havnt finished yet.

I felt the need to post here for two reasons.  One, it was one of those rare experiences for me.  I like to share it so maybe others can find something similar in it.  Two, I'm sure there's people here who are much better versed on the topic than myself.  If anyone else has read this or other books on the subject I'd love to hear your ideas and comparisons.

I also think he would make an awesome CTC guest but I'm sure neither side would ever agree to do it.

Usagi

Dawkins would destroy Noory intellectually within the first 3 minutes.  Noory would be struck dumb literally and Dawkins, without a competent sparring partner, just wouldn't have much fun.  Dawkins with some callers, though... that could be interesting.

I read The God Delusion last year.  He was preaching to the choir in regards to me, but damn if that book didn't have one air-tight argument after another.  My husband bought me The Greatest Show on Earth for Christmas (yes, we celebrate happy fun time atheist Christmas!), but other books on my gagillion-length to-read list keep taking priority.  I think this post has convinced me that it needs to elbow its way next in line.  I will definately look into The Ancestors Tale, too.

Thanks!

(My note for today - I had oral surgery today and am on lovely meds.  If anything I say makes no sense, that's why.)

Silent

I think Dawkins with Ian would be a good show.  I could see Ian not wanting to do it because of the God Delusion book.  I seriously doubt Dawkins would want to himself.  He seems to stay within the academic enviornment mostly and probably would see CTC only serving to tarnish a reputation.

If you get around to reading that be sure to post your thoughts here.  Maybe reading it on your pain meds would make it even better.  ;D

EvB

Quote from: Silent on April 29, 2011, 06:13:45 AM
I could see Ian not wanting to do it because of the God Delusion book. 

Hmmm - to me this is the kind of thing Ian would do - and do well.

Eddie Coyle

Dawkins,Sam Harris,Christopher Hitchens...none of them will go on C2C, largely because C2C has become so marginalized. It's viewed as a conspiracy-themed show in the small hours catering to kooks and insomniacs. The aforementioned authors would never stoop to an interview with Noory. They're used to symposiums on C-Span, not being the warm up act for UFO Phil.

Noory would be out-witted by DARRYL Dawkins! ;D

Silent

Quote from: EvB on April 29, 2011, 11:49:11 AM
Hmmm - to me this is the kind of thing Ian would do - and do well.

I think if the topic stayed focused on evolution then you're right.  Any slips into the realm of the God Delusion or atheism would get ugly fast.  Their personalities would be like a match and gasoline.