• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Gardens, Lawns and Such...

Started by chefist, June 10, 2015, 09:46:44 PM

The General

For Christmas, I bought the wife a variety of heirloom seeds. 
Also several books on self sufficient living and canning and such.
She's on board. 

https://theseedguy.com/13-the-63-variety-preppers-seed-package.html

littlechris

Quote from: onan on March 04, 2016, 10:46:01 PM
I have voles and moles. I am hoping a thick gravel/rock barrier will stop the rascals.

Half inch chicken wire covering the bottom of your beds should keep em out.

onan

Quote from: littlechris on March 04, 2016, 10:50:49 PM
Half inch chicken wire covering the bottom of your beds should keep em out.

Thanks man, now for the nerdy question. I am building these things to last for at least 20 years. Will chicken wire survive that long buried?

The General

Quote from: onan on March 04, 2016, 10:46:01 PM
I have voles and moles. I am hoping a thick gravel/rock barrier will stop the rascals.

We have racoon problems.  I want to shoot them or trap them but haven't done either yet.  They don't like being sprayed with high pressure water or my air pistol.  But neither one is much of a deterrent apparently.  I think it's time to get a .22 revolver. 

onan

Quote from: The General on March 04, 2016, 10:56:27 PM
We have racoon problems.  I want to shoot them or trap them but haven't done either yet.  They don't like being sprayed with high pressure water or my air pistol.  But neither one is much of a deterrent apparently.  I think it's time to get a .22 revolver.

Not that I want to encourage firing a weapon within the confines of a neighborhood, but a nice pellet rifle with a scope can take out a varmint at 40 yards and the weapon is silent.

littlechris

Quote from: onan on March 04, 2016, 10:54:16 PM
Thanks man, now for the nerdy question. I am building these things to last for at least 20 years. Will chicken wire survive that long buried?

The chicken wire should last quite a long time. Look into getting some chicken wire that is a thicker gauge. I'm sure if you look online, some specialty stores will sell chicken wire in various thickness. But, I'd want to replace the soil every few years anyways so you will want to replace the chicken wire at that point as well, if it needs to be replaced. Replacing the soil every few years will keep your back strong too.   :)

The General

Maybe look into hardware cloth also. 

albrecht

I think u git the heavier gauge n since galvanized it would last long time and keep those earth-digging critters out.

The General

Quote from: onan on March 04, 2016, 10:59:19 PM
Not that I want to encourage firing a weapon within the confines of a neighborhood, but a nice pellet rifle with a scope can take out a varmint at 40 yards and the weapon is silent.
These racoons, man, I tell ya.  I shoot them with an air pistol at close range and I think it just bounces off their thick skin.  I don't think a pellet rifle will be enough to do the trick.  I guess it's worth a try.  I know my neighbors already suspect I'm in here with a gun in one hand and a beer in the other, I don't really want to give them any reason to call the dept. of making you sad. Maybe I'll try a pellet rifle.

akwilly

Quote from: The General on March 04, 2016, 11:04:34 PM
These racoons, man, I tell ya.  I shoot them with an air pistol at close range and I think it just bounces off their thick skin.  I don't think a pellet rifle will be enough to do the trick.  I guess it's worth a try.  I know my neighbors already suspect I'm in here with a gun in one hand and a beer in the other, I don't really want to give them any reason to call the dept. of making you sad. Maybe I'll try a pellet rifle.
as much as I enjoy walking around my place with a gun and beer in hand have you considered a dog to keep the coons away?

GravitySucks

Quote from: The General on March 04, 2016, 10:56:27 PM

I have found these to be effective for varmints.

They will not cycle through a semi-automatic, but they work fine in my lever action and my revolver. They make a sound about the same as a pellet gun and have the same fps as a decent pellet gun.

Your neighbors won't hear them. They will pierce an empty plastic bottle if the top is off. If the cap is screwed on, they will bounce off, so wear goggles.

The General

Quote from: akwilly on March 04, 2016, 11:07:49 PM
as much as I enjoy walking around my place with a gun and beer in hand have you considered a dog to keep the coons away?

Yeah, but then I'd have to have a dog. 
And that's worse than racoons!

The General

Quote from: GravitySucks on March 04, 2016, 11:08:30 PM

They will not cycle through a semi-automatic, but they work fine in my lever action and my revolver. They make a sound about the same as a pellet gun and have the same fps as a decent pellet gun.

Your neighbors won't hear them. They will pierce an empty plastic bottle if the top is off. If the cap is screwed on, they will bounce off, so wear goggles.

My father in law suggested the same thing. 
That's what I was thinking of using in a .22 revolver.

onan

Quote from: The General on March 04, 2016, 11:04:34 PM

It looks like a pellet gun worthy of the task is quite expensive. Low end at about 300 dollars.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on March 04, 2016, 11:08:30 PM

Are u a hitman? Haha. The subsonic 22LF or the old 22 'shorts' also good for use with suppersors or homemade silencers n leave less ballistic evidence. But the cycling Issue u mention must be remembered. Or so is claimed. For informational purposes only. Would be good for the coon problem. I like dog option also. Friend had a Ridgeback who would tear them up.

onan

Quote from: albrecht on March 04, 2016, 11:14:01 PM
Are u a hitman? Haha. The subsonic 22LF or the old 22 'shorts' also good for use with suppersors or homemade silencers n leave less ballistic evidence. But the cycling Issue u mention must be remembered. Or so is claimed. For informational purposes only. Would be good for the coon problem. I like dog option also. Friend had a Ridgeback who would tear them up.

when shooting in an area where you shouldn't be shooting, never use a semi auto pistol. Instead use a revolver. OK, I'm paranoid. I agree dogs are a great option if one has the room for a dog and the time for a dog. Did I mention that the General would rather not have a dog... anywhere in his city.

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on March 04, 2016, 11:14:01 PM

I can neither confirm nor deny.

LOL

But I do have Colibris, subsonic and subsonic sniper rounds as well. They all have a spot in the varmint Arsenal.

albrecht

Quote from: onan on March 04, 2016, 11:18:36 PM
when shooting in an area where you shouldn't be shooting, never use a semi auto pistol. Instead use a revolver. OK, I'm paranoid. I agree dogs are a great option if one has the room for a dog and the time for a dog. Did I mention that the General would rather not have a dog... anywhere in his city.
Tho admitted 'stopping power' isnt there I like my old garage-sale bought revolver for fun and, in paranoid fantasy of gun grabs or home invasion, the 9 shots when enemy expecting it to hold only 6 and no guvmint knowing ownership.  Ha. Plus .22s, tho now more, cheaper to shoot.

onan

Quote from: albrecht on March 04, 2016, 11:30:11 PM
Tho admitted 'stopping power' isnt there I like my old garage-sale bought revolver for fun and, in paranoid fantasy of gun grabs or home invasion, the 9 shots when enemy expecting it to hold only 6 and no guvmint knowing ownership.  Ha. Plus .22s, tho now more, cheaper to shoot.

For home protection, I would never choose a 22 caliber. But it doesn't mean I can't have more than one weapon. As GS has suggested with the right ammunition the 22 might be the solution for raccoons. Not sure I would want to explain to the police about my solution for raccoons however.

akwilly

Quote from: onan on March 04, 2016, 11:34:09 PM
For home protection, I would never choose a 22 caliber. But it doesn't mean I can't have more than one weapon. As GS has suggested with the right ammunition the 22 might be the solution for raccoons. Not sure I would want to explain to the police about my solution for raccoons however.
crossbows are a handy thing to have around the house

albrecht

Quote from: onan on March 04, 2016, 11:34:09 PM
Oh for sure in all cases u mention. But .22s are fun n cheap(er) to plink around. I think, check your local laws, if u are shooting coons etc for purpose (crop protection etc) it is ok and no fur-trapping or even hunting permit needed. (In a city limits of course any shooting might be illegal. Check local ordinances and whether shot, dogs, traps, or poison...dont tell and dispose of varmints secretly lest attention or do-gooders bitch. Tho I do like the tradtion of hanging the coyote on the fence. Warns the others and offends soccer moms and yuppies.

pate

Quote from: GravitySucks on March 04, 2016, 09:48:20 PM
... You have to plant several rows of it in order for it to pollinate ...

My dad taught me a trick to get around that, when the top tassels are dropping pollen, take a dry & clean 2-3 inch paintbrush and use it to dust the pollen off the top tassels then brush the silk strands to transfer the pollen to them.  The added benefit there is that you tend to pollenate all the kernels on the cob and don't get as many weird looking "mutant" cobs that are missing rows of corn-nuggets.  I think corn can self-pollenate too, so it should be okay to use the pollen from the same plant on the corn "budlets" or whatever you call them.  You do this when the silk is still green, and have to watch the corn top-tassels to see when they are actually dropping pollen(maybe lightly tap them to see if the put off a light dusting of pollen, once or twice a week).  It works, I swear.

I used this method in a single 8x8 foot plot of corn to great success.  Don't get me started on dad's "hexagonal close pack" theory of planting each stalk the optimum 8? 12? inches apart in a hexagonal pattern, whoops I just started...

Also fun with corn is to plant some about a week or so apart so you don't end up with a bunch of corn ripe all at the same time.  I think you get 1-2 ears of corn per stalk as I recall.

Here's a ASCII "hexagonal close-pack" diagram:

I never really understood what he was doing with that, to be honest, just the name "hexagonal close-pack," my pa has a PhD in physics so he would sometimes come up with strange looking plans that actually make a sort of sense...  I think he demonstrated that this method manages to yield more corn because it allows more light to get down to the lower leaves or something?  It's been over 30 years ago, so my memory is sketchy, but the "hexagonal close-plack(tm)" phrase still resonates when I think about or recall the small plot of corn plants in the back yard that seemed to provide fresh corn on the cob for like a month or two during the harvest time.

I have said too much.

pate

Quote from: onan on March 04, 2016, 09:55:02 PM
I'm going to give canning a try as well. I am especially interested in making the best pickle.

I read somewhere that 2 fresh grape leaves (any grape: wild, concord, or wine) per quart or 1 per pint help to keep the finished product crisp.  I use wild grapes that I have been cultivating in the back yard.  Seems to work, but couldn't say, never made pickles without a grape leaf in the jar with them.  They seem to be pretty crisp, but I really didn't do a control group of grape leaf-less pickles to compare against.  I just go out and cut a leaf for each pint I'm going to make, rinse them really well under cold water and throw them in with the raw cucumbers etc that I'm pickling.  I almost want to just pickle a jar of grape leaves to make dolmathes/dolmades (sp? stuffed grape leaves, Greek) sometime.

Perhaps this year I will do that, as I just moved a grapevine to a better location (for me) and if it survives the process like the one I moved last year it won't make grapes, but will have plenty of leaves.  I expect to have plenty of grape leaves for pickling this year.

onan

Quote from: pate on March 05, 2016, 12:31:13 AM
I read somewhere that 2 fresh grape leaves (any grape: wild, concord, or wine) per quart or 1 per pint help to keep the finished product crisp.  I use wild grapes that I have been cultivating in the back yard.  Seems to work, but couldn't say, never made pickles without a grape leaf in the jar with them.  They seem to be pretty crisp, but I really didn't do a control group of grape leaf-less pickles to compare against.  I just go out and cut a leaf for each pint I'm going to make, rinse them really well under cold water and throw them in with the raw cucumbers etc that I'm pickling.  I almost want to just pickle a jar of grape leaves to make dolmathes/dolmades (sp? stuffed grape leaves, Greek) sometime.

Perhaps this year I will do that, as I just moved a grapevine to a better location (for me) and if it survives the process like the one I moved last year it won't make grapes, but will have plenty of leaves.  I expect to have plenty of grape leaves for pickling this year.

Thanks for the info. I read that if you cut the flowering end of the pickle off before starting the process the pickle will remain crisp. The explanation continued with the information that there is some chemical released from the remnants of the flower that help to breakdown the pickle to help the seeds take root.

I have no idea if that is true, but it sounds interesting.

pate

I speculate that it is the tannins in the grape leaves that help to keep stuff crisp.

They sure look cool in the jar, here's a pic of some store-bought English cukes that I brined in fresh garlic,jalepeno & crushed red-pepper and some other stuff.  They are really spicy, I put some other spices in with these, have it written down somewhere.  Definitely will be doing these again.

I think the grape leaf looks cool in the jar, even if it does nothing to enhance crispness.

whoozit

Quote from: akwilly on March 04, 2016, 11:41:53 PM
crossbows are a handy thing to have around the house
Racoon on a stick.

pate

I saw a WoodPecker today (eye thunk), Deadwood should be cleared out by now on a property you care about..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGbiuAZDAh0

notorious(sp)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/04/0428_050428_extinctwoodpecker.html

It really is not the common ones that you are angry with, they just feed on the dead tree in your front yard, you could always shoot'em down and stuff them for the young-onions and grand-onions to look at and wow over...

These kids are territorial, and will let you know if someone is around.

I have said too much

pate

I would really like to make this statement:

"Damn, hippies"

But sense, merle is ded and done I'd like to say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J85RYruhTxs

That all, said.

First Freese danger is gone on...

coaster

In the last few days I have planted nearly one hundred flowers, and spent all of last weekend planting in my garden. Looks like we are in for some nasty weather today. I'm afraid its going to destroy all the plants. Should have known to storm proof the yard. 

SredniVashtar

On the sprawling Vashtar estate I am currently growing potatoes on one side, with zucchini on the other. Unfortunately the weather has meant that my tender zucchini plants are being menaced by snails, to which I have responded with a carpet-bombing campaign of slug pellets. 50 confirmed kills so far, with power to add.