• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Sixteen on July 21, 2019, 05:03:59 AM
Things that annoy you.  That poor children receive entitlements for HOT school lunches, while children from higher income families are reduced to a cold, sack lunch.

Don't be an idiot. That's because that's likely to be their only meal of the day.

albrecht

Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 22, 2019, 04:56:34 AM
Don't be an idiot. That's because that's likely to be their only meal of the day.
Our school district, frequently hand-wringing over budget shortfalls and school closures/rebuilding and needing new bond issues, now gives 3 squares a day. When people complained it is open for all, even in summer in which, aside from remedial students, there is no school. Also there was "shaming" concerns so that in elementary everyone gets breakfast- even when parents have already given same, lest the illegals are "shamed." 

https://www.austinisd.org/nutrition-food-services/meal-programs/summer

This dude annoys me.  Oh his advice is quite sound but I keep hoping that a sea gull flies by and shits on him. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNAsJNDgLJw

Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 22, 2019, 04:56:34 AM

These are the kids who don't look forward to summer break.  Our district started a program in which meals are prepared for the kids of lesser means throughout the summer months.  The problem is that the meals cannot be delivered and many of the kids still go hungry.

Jojo

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on July 22, 2019, 07:36:24 AM
These are the kids who don't look forward to summer break.  Our district started a program in which meals are prepared for the kids of lesser means throughout the summer months.  The problem is that the meals cannot be delivered and many of the kids still go hungry.
I hope they donated unused meals to the food bank, then. 

I don't understand this child hunger thing.  All poor children's guardians are eligible for food stamps.  Food banks exist almost everywhere.  People who work, even for low wages, can make time to gather food they qualify for and process it into snack food and meals for their children.  What part of this puzzle am I missing?  As I see it now, there is no parental excuse for not having adequate food for your child.  I mean, sure the kid might not get Luna Bars or sushi platters.  But parents have the time to cut up apples, make a pan of pasta with tuna and refrigerate it for the week, bake meat & cut it into portions for after school snacks and dinner.  Even children themselves can make oatmeal cookies or cheap box mix brownies.  Chicken is cheap, and families with children usually can get peanut butter and juice at the food bank.  Besides, students on food stamps qualify for free lunches, so their parents only need to make breakfast, dinner and snacks.  With TANF and food stamps.  And food banks.  What is the problem here?

Poor students who qualify for food stamps, and therefore hot school lunches, should, by  my calculations, actually be better off than some kids of working parents.  For instance, hot lunches, which poor children receive, are quite a nice thing.  And, their families don't have to even buy the supplies, carry them home, prepare, tote or clean up from the wrappings, packaging and food!  And the food is HOT, warm, comforting.  Members of wealthier families, on the other hand, have to go acquire groceries, put them away, plan and prepare their own lunches, tote their lunch sack around all day, and clean it up when they get home.  And it's cold. 

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on July 22, 2019, 05:28:31 AM
Our school district, frequently hand-wringing over budget shortfalls and school closures/rebuilding and needing new bond issues, now gives 3 squares a day. When people complained it is open for all, even in summer in which, aside from remedial students, there is no school. Also there was "shaming" concerns so that in elementary everyone gets breakfast- even when parents have already given same, lest the illegals are "shamed." 

https://www.austinisd.org/nutrition-food-services/meal-programs/summer
Whatever budget they took that out of, that is incredible and wonderful.  I love it.  In school, we took field trips.  We learned occupational skills, like stained glass.  There was Home Ec.

Sooooooooooo.....  In a 9-month school year, with 6 grades and 12 classrooms, this innovation you describe actually could be done without affecting the regular old budget much at all.  Because:
Week 1:  First grade class A goes to the food bank and brings food to the kitchen.
Week 2:  First grade class B goes to the food bank and brings food to the kitchen.
Week 3:  Second grade class A goes to the food bank and brings food to the kitchen.
Week 4:  Second grade class B...
Week 5:  Third grade class A...
Week 6:  Third grade class B...
Week 7:  Fourth grade class A...
Week 8:  Fourth grade class B...
Week 9:  Fifth grade class A...
Week 10:Fifth grade class B...
Week 11:Sixth grade class A...
Week 12:Sixth grade class B goes to the food bank and brings food to the kitchen.

There are about 36 weeks in the school year, so each class would only have to go about 3 times.  That is a small enough number of times to qualify as field trip (first time), home ec (second time) and life skills (third time). 

I don't know how old you have to be to get a food handler's permit, but once students are that age, each class could (3 times per year each) assist with unloading, washing, portionalizing, wrapping, and putting the acquisitions away.  As well as preparing some of it.  As well as cleaning up after some of the meals.

Anyhow, we had several poor students in my classes when I was in gradeschool.  None were illegals.  They all were white, born here.  Has it really changed that much?  Are you near the border, like CA or NM?

Jojo

Things that annoy you: For over 20 years,  ICE has used hotels to keep immigrants until processing.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xwnnxn/hotels-refused-to-house-immigrants-ice

WHAT IN THE HECK IS WRONG WITH JUST USING MOTELS?  WHO IN THEIR IMMIGRANT MIND NEEDS A HOTEL???  My word, isn't Motel 6 good enough?  The Hilton should have nothing to do with it.  Ridiculous.  Frankly, they SHOULD use churches, really.

Jojo

What are the odds of two household coffee makers dying at the same time for no apparent reason. 

albrecht

Quote from: Sixteen on July 23, 2019, 12:32:04 PM
Things that annoy you: For over 20 years,  ICE has used hotels to keep immigrants until processing.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xwnnxn/hotels-refused-to-house-immigrants-ice

WHAT IN THE HECK IS WRONG WITH JUST USING MOTELS?  WHO IN THEIR IMMIGRANT MIND NEEDS A HOTEL???  My word, isn't Motel 6 good enough?  The Hilton should have nothing to do with it.  Ridiculous.  Frankly, they SHOULD use churches, really.
There is A LOT of money to be made off of illegals. Which is why both Parties don't do anything about it, really? From public school funding, hotels, private prisons, church grants, private detention facilities, farmers (both from cheap labor and from SNAP and government give-aways,) and so on. Of course a lot of the money being made is not actually in a productive, but exploitative, capitalist manner (using them for cheap labor) but simply wealth-transfer from tax-payers to schools, government agencies, private companies, law firms, social action groups, etc.

whoozit

Quote from: Sixteen on July 23, 2019, 12:04:34 PM
I hope they donated unused meals to the food bank, then. 
You have no moral authority to question what anyone does with unused or unwanted food.  Your statement is the acme of hypocrisy.

Jojo

Quote from: whoozit on August 03, 2019, 04:54:13 PM
You have no moral authority to question what anyone does with unused or unwanted food.  Your statement is the acme...
What's the issue?

Jojo

People who ritualize loading their dishwasher.  It is a dishwasher not a buffante hairdo.

Dr. MD MD

People who just randomly pile dishes into a dishwasher so that half the stuff doesn’t even get properly cleaned. It’s a dishwasher. There aren’t magical fairies in there who clean your dishes once you close the door. ::)

Metron2267

Quote from: whoozit on August 03, 2019, 04:54:13 PM
You have no moral authority to question what anyone does with unused or unwanted food.  Your statement is the acme of hypocrisy.
Donating food is amoral?

How so?

Jojo

Quote from: Karo on August 06, 2019, 11:43:56 AM
Donating food is amoral?

How so?
Karo, whoozit knows I didn't donate it.  The food bank won't take the open containers whoozit is referring to.  Plus I think my germs were in a couple of them.

So, Karo.  Your name is sweet?  Are you non-GMO?  Have you tried mixing yourself with a few tablespoons of maple flavoring?  Ever since my parents made us kids use Karo on pancakes, I've always wondered if a little added maple flavor would enhance it?

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on August 06, 2019, 07:54:37 AM
People who just randomly pile dishes into a dishwasher so that half the stuff doesn’t even get properly cleaned. It’s a dishwasher. There aren’t magical fairies in there who clean your dishes once you close the door. ::)
Just sneak an extra soap packet in the back of the dish washer under the bottom rack when no one is looking - works every time!  And yes, I do pay for the soap around here.

Are we having fun yet?  Um, my sh** list is overflowing, so I need to cut from the bottom to make more room at the top.  I would like to offer you reconciliation.  At times, you have a warmth, wit and humor like no other.  I could unignore you if you want.  Just don't abandon me again!  What do you say, Dr. MD Hygienic Paper?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Tangerine on August 06, 2019, 09:24:16 PM
Just sneak an extra soap packet in the back of the dish washer under the bottom rack when no one is looking - works every time!  And yes, I do pay for the soap around here.

Are we having fun yet?  Um, my sh** list is overflowing, so I need to cut from the bottom to make more room at the top.  I would like to offer you reconciliation.  At times, you have a warmth, wit and humor like no other.  I could unignore you if you want.  Just don't abandon me again!  What do you say, Dr. MD Hygienic Paper?

It’s entirely up to you, of course. However, I’m bound to write something that will offend you, sooner or later.  ;)

Gunner65

What really annoys me?

When New York State DOT and Steuben County both have road paving and bridge repairing schedules which are not posted or updated.  This time along two parallel routes just weeks after a months long closing of a bridge to the VA Hospital in Bath, NY. There were NO public notices on the State DOT website for State Rt. 53 until last week which showed closing Aug 2.  They are now showing signs on the same route for closure Aug 8.

I drove the Rt 53 today ...turned around in Kanona just past the truck stop at 415 because traffic was stalled!

At the same time Steuben County is doing work on rural Rt 74  with no notification and leaving hazardous road surfaces unmarked. So to make my Va appointments I will have to detour 12 miles to the east and hope the bridge at the VA has been completed.  Otherwise I would have to go further west into more difficult terrain and turn south.

AZZERAE

Quote from: Gunner65 on August 06, 2019, 09:54:30 PM
What really annoys me?

When New York State DOT and Steuben County both have road paving and bridge repairing schedules which are not posted or updated.  This time along two parallel routes just weeks after a months long closing of a bridge to the VA Hospital in Bath, NY. There were NO public notices on the State DOT website for State Rt. 53 until last week which showed closing Aug 2.  They are now showing signs on the same route for closure Aug 8.

Ah, America! The greatest country on earth.

Jojo

Quote from: Gunner65 on August 06, 2019, 09:54:30 PM
What really annoys me?

I drove the Rt 53 today ...turned around in Kanona just past the truck stop at 415 because traffic was stalled!

At the same time Steuben County is doing work on rural Rt 74  with no notification and leaving hazardous road surfaces unmarked. So to make my Va appointments I will have to detour 12 miles to the east and hope the bridge at the VA has been completed.  Otherwise I would have to go further west into more difficult terrain and turn south.
Terrible.  I guess those electronic reader boards they put up on site a couple weeks in advance don't help people who are only going to pass through once.

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on August 06, 2019, 09:32:31 PM
It’s entirely up to you, of course. However, I’m bound to write something that will offend you, sooner or later.  ;)
Bound to be.

Metron2267

Quote from: Tangerine on August 06, 2019, 09:23:22 PM
Karo, whoozit knows I didn't donate it.  The food bank won't take the open containers whoozit is referring to.  Plus I think my germs were in a couple of them.

So, Karo.  Your name is sweet?  Are you non-GMO?  Have you tried mixing yourself with a few tablespoons of maple flavoring?  Ever since my parents made us kids use Karo on pancakes, I've always wondered if a little added maple flavor would enhance it?

There are other meaning to Karo.

Ask Mrs, Butterworth when she's by again with the KFC guy.

Jojo

Quote from: Karo on August 07, 2019, 05:11:06 PM
There are other meaning to Karo.

Ask Mrs, Butterworth when she's by again with the KFC guy.
That commercial is stupid, unless the writers meant for Colonel Sanders to look like a dwarf compared to his amour.

Anyhow, I guess your avatar is over my head, unless it's African.  One question, does it have anything to do with fish?

Metron2267

Quote from: Tangerine on August 09, 2019, 12:27:28 AM
That commercial is stupid, unless the writers meant for Colonel Sanders to look like a dwarf compared to his amour.

He's a spunky old dancer, KFC's answer to Jason Alexander and his McDs prancing...

QuoteAnyhow, I guess your avatar is over my head, unless it's African.  One question, does it have anything to do with fish?

Yes!

Jojo

Quote from: Karo on August 09, 2019, 04:11:06 PM
He's a spunky old dancer, KFC's answer to Jason Alexander and his McDs prancing...

Yes!

Quite a glorious fish!  Is it dead?  It looks painted. 

Metron2267

It might be, but in the water they look just like that, watch out for the trigger.

Jojo

Quote from: Karo on August 11, 2019, 11:42:46 AM
It might be, but in the water they look just like that, watch out for the trigger.

What kind of fish is it?

Metron2267

Why a "trigger" fish of course!

Jojo

Quote from: Karo on August 15, 2019, 04:03:46 PM

Why a "trigger" fish of course!
Wow, that took me on a wonderful cruise down Google Images Bay!