• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ponyboysunset's Novels & Where To Get Them

Started by ponyboysunset, May 01, 2017, 08:34:18 PM

WildCard

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 02, 2017, 11:55:25 AM
Once you realize that all vampire stories are just parables about drug addiction and sexually transmitted disease they kind of lose their fizz.  :-\

if that ain't snark, it'll do until snark comes along

was bram stoker about drug's and STD's?

OMG, literally shaking right now. so triggered.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 02, 2017, 12:56:15 PM
Who in the hell keeps the lawns mowed in The Walking Dead anyways?

These guys. It takes a little longer but the job gets done...eventually.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZyhkYSLdFM

Jackstar

all vampire stories are just parables about drug addiction and sexually transmitted disease

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 02, 2017, 12:04:03 PM
They take a substance that makes them feel eternally young but it makes them stay up all night, never to see the sun again. Once you're tainted with the substance your tainted. All you can do is turn other people into monsters like you to avoid lonlieness

. Think about it.  ;)

FNORD FNORD FNORD

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WildCard on May 02, 2017, 01:00:17 PM

Jim, I think maybe you're just having another acid flashback. Do you have your special meds that you're supposed to take when that happens?  :)

ponyboysunset

Quote from: WildCard on May 02, 2017, 01:00:17 PM

LOL I love the original Dracula. And if you are already dead do STDs really matter?  :o

Jackstar

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 02, 2017, 01:10:57 PM
And if you are already dead do STDs really matter?  :o

Death isn't what you think it is. STDs: doubly so.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 02, 2017, 01:10:57 PM
LOL I love the original Dracula. And if you are already dead do STDs really matter?  :o

Of course, I used the word parable to specifically indicate that I meant they're a metaphor. I thought you were a writer?!  ???

WildCard

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 02, 2017, 01:10:02 PM
Jim, I think maybe you're just having another acid flashback. Do you have your special meds that you're supposed to take when that happens?  :)

if i had my special meds, i wouldn't even care that someone is wrong on the Internet.

The literati sneer at Anne Rice and Stephen King. As opposed to?

Fuck that and fuck academics. We're stormin the castle.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: WildCard on May 02, 2017, 01:45:17 PM
if i had my special meds, i wouldn't even care that someone is wrong on the Internet.

This was a huge debate when I was in my creative writing program. Most people wanted to write "literature" and get tenure blah blah. Me I always loved both those authors and thought if I am going anyway it is the way of the modern novel. So hell yes stormin' the castle indeed.  :D

PS my writing always did well in workshop because they enjoyed reading it, even if it needed editing for things. My plot was solid and my stories were fun. People dug that.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WildCard on May 02, 2017, 01:45:17 PM

Do we really need another book from the vampire's perspective?  ::)

OK, now I'm just being a troll.  ;D :P

RoseGirl

Hey PBS,

Wasn't your 'literary agent' going to land you a major contract with a big publishing house or something? What happened?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: RoseGirl on May 02, 2017, 02:12:56 PM
Hey PBS,

Wasn't your 'literary agent' going to land you a major contract with a big publishing house or something? What happened?

What an asshole question to ask. You really are a despicable person. DIAF!  ::)

RoseGirl

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 02, 2017, 02:14:33 PM
What an asshole question to ask. You really are a despicable person. DIAF!  ::)

What? Why? That was the last I had heard of this. Literary agent, big deal forthcoming....just want to know the backstory. It is VERY difficult to get published in 3D nowadays...like, a major feat...almost like winning the lottery. So, just wondering what went on.

It's not like I am telling her she deserved to get cancer or anything. Geez, chill.

Quote from: RoseGirl on May 02, 2017, 02:12:56 PM
Hey PBS,

What is your problem?  You seem like you are itching for a fight.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: RoseGirl on May 02, 2017, 02:19:10 PM
What? Why? That was the last I had heard of this. Literary agent, big deal forthcoming....just want to know the backstory. It is VERY difficult to get published in 3D nowadays...like, a major feat...almost like winning the lottery. So, just wondering what went on.

It's not like I am telling her she deserved to get cancer or anything. Geez, chill.

Yeah, you're really not clever enough to hide your raging passive aggression. All you ever do is spread venom. If you have cancer that's probably why.  ::)

RoseGirl

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 02, 2017, 02:20:38 PM
What is your problem?  You seem like you are itching for a fight.

No, not at all. Just asked a question about the details. I didn't realise it was such a verboten subject.

It's just good to know the lay of the land in publishing circles nowadays. We all have to self publish lately...but if that is changing, I'd sure like to know. I mean, are literary agents ....are they even worth it nowadays.

No disrespect to you at all PBS. None at all. Writing is hard work. Good on ya, hon.

RoseGirl

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 02, 2017, 02:21:35 PM
Yeah, you're really not clever enough to hide your raging passive aggression. All you ever do is spread venom. If you have cancer that's probably why.  ::)

Thanks for diagnosis, doc So helpful.

Quote from: RoseGirl on May 02, 2017, 02:24:33 PM
No, not at all. Just asked a question about the details. I didn't realise it was such a verboten subject.

It's just good to know the lay of the land in publishing circles nowadays. We all have to self publish lately...but if that is changing, I'd sure like to know. I mean, are literary agents ....are they even worth it nowadays.

No disrespect to you at all PBS. None at all. Writing is hard work. Good on ya, hon.

Next time you might not want to put quotation marks around literary agent.  When you did that, it conveyed sarcasm.  Carry on then.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: RoseGirl on May 02, 2017, 02:25:53 PM
Thanks for diagnosis, doc So helpful.

It's not going to make any difference in your case. You couldn't help yourself to a free lunch.  :D

RoseGirl

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 02, 2017, 02:28:47 PM
Next time you might not want to put quotation marks around literary agent.  When you did that, it conveyed sarcasm.  Carry on then.

oh yes...I see what you mean. Sorry about that. I really did that because literary agents are soooooo full of themselves and, well, pretty much useless as far as I am concerned.

Oh and you might want to talk to Doc about his unsightly sarcasm problem. Just a suggestion.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 02, 2017, 02:28:47 PM

Don't fall for her act. She meant it to be cutting.

Quote from: RoseGirl on May 02, 2017, 02:30:30 PM
oh yes...I see what you mean. Sorry about that. I really did that because literary agents are soooooo full of themselves and, well, pretty much useless as far as I am concerned.

Oh and you might want to talk to Doc about his unsightly sarcasm problem. Just a suggestion.

No harm done. I'm staying out of the fight between you and Doc.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 02, 2017, 02:35:25 PM
No harm done. I'm staying out of the fight between you and Doc.

Hee hee...You're just her next mark. It won't be long until she turns on you and lashes out like she does to everyone here. We, apparently, deserve it in her mind because we're mostly free thinkers and not a bunch of mindless drones who will blindly follow her hoo haa.  ;)

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 02, 2017, 01:57:51 PM
This was a huge debate when I was in my creative writing program. Most people wanted to write "literature" and get tenure blah blah. Me I always loved both those authors and thought if I am going anyway it is the way of the modern novel. So hell yes stormin' the castle indeed.  :D

PS my writing always did well in workshop because they enjoyed reading it, even if it needed editing for things. My plot was solid and my stories were fun. People dug that.

This.  If a story is good, I couldn't give two squirts of duck pee if editing is off a bit.   Wasn't it King who criticized Patterson for not being a good writer, and Patterson said something like "yeah, but I'm a hell of a story teller."  It's all story, baby.

Ponyboy, you are working on your third?  That is an achievement in itself.  Good going.

I had a Lit teacher in high school who claimed he was going to write the next great American novel.  He thought that Sinclair Lewis was the greatest writer who ever existed, so required reading was Babbitt and Arrowsmith...ugg.  Mr. Anderson was a very nice man, very likeable.   I wanted him to succeed, and yet thought about killing him at the same time.  I thought about revisiting those two books in my adulthood to see if they sucked as bad as I thought they did as a kid.   I can't bring myself to do it.   :P

Quote from: RoseGirl on May 02, 2017, 02:30:30 PM

Not to get in the middle of your spat with Doc, but you have a point there.  When you stop to think about it, all the books we read, the movies we watch, or the music we listen to is all given to us by a handful of people who make the decision of who gets the record deal, their book published, or who is "talented" enough to act a movie.  This is why I love the idea of self publishing. 

I can't remember her name, but there is a young lady who writes in the young adult fantasy/romance-type genre from Southern Minnesota who successfully self published her work and became quite successful.    I think she has a traditional publishing deal now, but she essentially made it on her own.  I love this kind of "buck the system, and pull yourself up" story.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 02, 2017, 12:17:23 PM
Can you take colloidal silver as a vaccine against vampires?  Asking for a friend.