• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

WOTR

Quote from: Imconfused on June 18, 2016, 11:33:07 AM
I hope your 13 year old daughter won't mind it either if a 50 year old man is there with her.  If so,  you can explain to her that it's perfectly normal and that she's a racist/sexist/nazi etc. for thinking so.

But of course you don't have a 13 yr old daughter,  otherwise you wouldn't be talking this bs that "you" could care less.
It seems obvious that you do not have a 13 year old son or you would see the wisdom in forcing catholic priests to use the women's washroom.

Dateline

Who's to say it is all bs, even Art?  One hundred and fifty years ago, if what we had today was discussed, it too would be bs.  As our ability to comprehend and understand the universe expands, it becomes less bs and more accepted thought in some areas. 

We pride ourselves on knowing it all in society, but in reality we do not, we may be mere toddlers.

Quote from: COguy on June 18, 2016, 10:57:27 AM
Long time listener/reader. First time posting.

It is just sad what has become of Art. I feel for those of you who gave time and money to him.

I loved Art in the 90s. But right before 2000 a local columnist,Denver CO,interviewed him. He pretty much admitted much of his show was BS. He disputed her column and had a tiff with her for a few days. I was here and saw it and basically he claimed to be misquoted or whatever. But she produced tape. Art was not being fully truthful.  I think it was Penny Parker who interviewed him. Denver Post or Rocky Mountain News ran her. Anyway I kinda gave up on him then. But of course still listened for entertainment value.

Lately all I see is a sad money grab by a wash up.

Mr. Bell you really should just write an autobiography,let the sycophants make you more wealthy,and retire with dignity.

Is there a link to that article?  Given the time period it may not be available.

My take on all this is that I'm not sure he or a majority of his audience thought very much of it was other than BS, at least after he'd been doing it for awhile.  For me the subjects sort of exposed themselves.  It was entertainment - a good story, but certainly also an investigation into a lot of different topics, a few of which do seem to either have something to them or are at least not easily explained away.  Sometimes it was difficult to tell which were in what category.  There were BS artists on at one time or another in all the topics.  He had 5 night s a week to fill with content.

It seems unreasonable to ask Art to tell the world he thinks what's on his show is mostly BS.  It's not a surprise he would later contest that's what he meant if he said something to that effect during an interview.

I think we can all agree Art could have handled things differently over the past decade or so.  Especially if he loves radio as much as he claims.  Certainly the way leaving the last show was handled.

As far as a money grab, he just doesn't strike me as a person out to do that.  What the fans spent in addition to their $5 subscriptions doesn't sound like it was really all that much, and they volunteered to do it.  If Art was into money grubbing he would have been accepting more offers and coming up with more schemes all along - like Noory tries to do, only much more successfully.

Imconfused

Quote from: WOTR on June 18, 2016, 11:56:47 AM
It seems obvious that you do not have a 13 year old son or you would see the wisdom in forcing catholic priests to use the women's washroom.

heh heh

Quote from: Imconfused on June 18, 2016, 11:33:07 AM
I hope your 13 year old daughter won't mind it either if a 50 year old man is there with her.  If so,  you can explain to her that it's perfectly normal and that she's a racist/sexist/nazi etc. for thinking so.

But of course you don't have a 13 yr old daughter,  otherwise you wouldn't be talking this bs that "you" could care less.

Thank you for your opinion,  tho.

Did you not read my post?  I  do mind when perverts and I'll be specific molesters and pedophiles come into the bathroom for salacious reasons.  However those can come in any sex and that has nothing to do with the transgender issue.  Geesh.  Somebody always has to bitch about something.  I give up. :-X

My recommendation is a 3rd restroom for all genders.  Many places already have it but they are called family restrooms.  I absolutely do not think we should prosecute people for going to the bathroom where they feel comfortable.  There may be grounds for those people who like to loiter in restrooms though.

Imconfused

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 18, 2016, 12:48:35 PM
Did you not read my post?  I  do mind when perverts and I'll be specific molesters and pedophiles come into the bathroom for salacious reasons.  However those can come in any sex and that has nothing to do with the transgender issue.  Geesh.  Somebody always has to bitch about something.  I give up. :-X

My recommendation is a 3rd restroom for all genders.  Many places already have it but they are called family restrooms.

Oh,  you are talking about these guys.  I'm sorry I misunderstood.   ::)

Good lord.  And people like these can vote.  It's scary.

Quote from: Imconfused on June 18, 2016, 12:55:39 PM
Oh,  you are talking about these guys.  I'm sorry I misunderstood.   ::)

Good lord.  And people like these can vote.  It's scary.

I don't know what you are trying to say with that last bit. I've been up for a while so excuse me if I have a hard time understanding what you are trying to say.  Shoot straight if you don't mind. 

Imconfused

I absolutely do not think we should prosecute people for going to the bathroom where they feel comfortable. 

However you have no problem prosecuting me for I do NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE going to bathrooms like these.

But it's a lost cause with you.

So long.

Fuck it.  I'm heading for the loony bin.  I can't win for losing.

norland2424

12 hours later and you guys are still talking about bathrooms lol

I'll leave it up to the Bellgab jury.  Am I not being reasonable about this issue?  This whole damn thing has gotten way out of hand.  Live and let live so long as no harm is done to another. 

Quote from: norland2424 on June 18, 2016, 01:05:53 PM
12 hours later and you guys are still talking about bathrooms lol

And it's not even a big deal with me.  :-\

norland2424

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 18, 2016, 01:07:26 PM
I'll leave it up to the Bellgab jury.  Am I not being reasonable about this issue?  This whole damn thing has gotten way out of hand.  Live and let live so long as no harm is done to another.

the 3rd bathroom is the only good option

Quote from: norland2424 on June 18, 2016, 01:20:25 PM
the 3rd bathroom is the only good option

I think it is a healthy middle of the road option though it probably won't please those on the far right or the far left. I'm going to sign off for now. Hopefully another shitstorm won't be waiting for me when I come back.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 18, 2016, 01:07:26 PM

You're being reasonable now.

gabrielle

Quote from: Dateline on June 18, 2016, 11:57:01 AM
Who's to say it is all bs, even Art?  One hundred and fifty years ago, if what we had today was discussed, it too would be bs.  As our ability to comprehend and understand the universe expands, it becomes less bs and more accepted thought in some areas. 

We pride ourselves on knowing it all in society, but in reality we do not, we may be mere toddlers.

+1
thanks for putting in words what I have been thinking.

Quote from: Darth Sandra on June 18, 2016, 01:30:45 PM
You're being reasonable now.

Thank you.  I really regret my earlier comments.  I wasn't thinking.  I was reacting.  This whole kerfuffle has caused me to really think about the issue.

Value Of Pi

Did you not read my post?  I  do mind when perverts and I'll be specific molesters and pedophiles come into the bathroom for salacious reasons.  However those can come in any sex and that has nothing to do with the transgender issue.  Geesh.  Somebody always has to bitch about something.  I give up. :-X

My recommendation is a 3rd restroom for all genders.  Many places already have it but they are called family restrooms.  I absolutely do not think we should prosecute people for going to the bathroom where they feel comfortable.  There may be grounds for those people who like to loiter in restrooms though.

The third restroom was discussed by the parties but it wasn't acceptable to the Trans parents or the LGBT powers that be, who were transparently looking to make a federal case out of the issue. They likened the third bathroom idea to "separate but equal" facilities during segregation.

So, the parents could have chosen to have their kids use a third bathroom at school and any bathroom they wanted outside of school -- which is what trans people were doing already in public places or at work with no outcry from anyone. But the parents said no.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 18, 2016, 01:25:39 PM
I think it is a healthy middle of the road option though it probably won't please those on the far right or the far left. I'm going to sign off for now. Hopefully another shitstorm won't be waiting for me when I come back.

I don't see why anyone would be against family restrooms. A lot of places already have them. The only issue I could ever see from it is expecting Trans people to only use the 3rd option.

I don't care who uses my bathroom just don't make a mess or be creepy. :)

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 18, 2016, 01:36:32 PM
Thank you.  I really regret my earlier comments.  I wasn't thinking.  I was reacting.  This whole kerfuffle has caused me to really think about the issue.

I can respect and admire that.

Quote from: Darth Sandra on June 18, 2016, 01:43:25 PM
I don't see why anyone would be against family restrooms. A lot of places already have them. The only issue I could ever see from it is expecting Trans people to only use the 3rd option.

I don't care who uses my bathroom just don't make a mess or be creepy. :)

I'm of the same mind.  If one walked into the stall next to mine and was obvious, I'd probably be a little shocked but I'd get over it quickly and do my business.  I really don't care.

Quote from: Darth Sandra on June 18, 2016, 01:45:15 PM
I can respect and admire that.

Thank you, Sandra, you're not so bad yourself despite what Norland says. LOL.  Just kidding!!  Now I must bid adieu. :D ;)

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 18, 2016, 02:02:30 PM
Thank you, Sandra, you're not so bad yourself despite what Norland says. LOL.  Just kidding!!  Now I must bid adieu. :D ;)

Norland is Boris

Jackstar

molesters and pedophiles come into the bathroom for salacious reasons.

CornyCrow

Quote from: Dateline on June 18, 2016, 11:57:01 AM

Sure.  I don't understand the attitude of 'we know it ALL, right now'.  It is the sort of logic religious fundamentalists use, but it's by folks who pretend they know better.  We have to keep open minds about some of this stuff.  Strange things DO occur.  Perhaps the explanations we are given don't hold water, but that does not negate the phenomenon. 

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Segundus on June 18, 2016, 03:12:46 PM
Sure.  I don't understand the attitude of 'we know it ALL, right now'.  It is the sort of logic religious fundamentalists use, but it's by folks who pretend they know better.  We have to keep open minds about some of this stuff.  Strange things DO occur. Perhaps the explanations we are given don't hold water, but that does not negate the phenomenon.

This is one area where you really can have it both ways. You can admit all the things we don't know, or don't know that we don't know, and still comfortably and legitimately go through a list of ideas and beliefs and suggest to the audience with a wink and a questioning tone, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

The first part, admitting what we don't know, gave Art's show some legitimacy. The second part, skepticism, gave his approach more credibility and popularity than what Noory does (or Noory's imitators, including, ironically, Heather). So it can't hurt to sample some strange Kool-Aid concoction occasionally, as long as you don't pretend that you're drinking 100% fruit juice.

someguy

Quote from: JesusJuice on June 17, 2016, 12:08:48 AM
What a shitty thread.

you can say that again. damn

Value Of Pi

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 18, 2016, 12:10:51 AM
Thanks man.  You're ok.  Can't put you in a box but think about it, electing Hillary allows more and more of these shenanigans to go on.

Nope, not rushing to be put in a box. It'll happen sooner or later. Not crazy about shenanigans either, but love the word. Shenanigans... fun to say.

Lilith

Quote from: Value Of Pi on June 18, 2016, 03:47:47 PM
This is one area where you really can have it both ways. You can admit all the things we don't know, or don't know that we don't know, and still comfortably and legitimately go through a list of ideas and beliefs and suggest to the audience with a wink and a questioning tone, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

The first part, admitting what we don't know, gave Art's show some legitimacy. The second part, skepticism, gave his approach more credibility and popularity than what Noory does (or Noory's imitators, including, ironically, Heather). So it can't hurt to sample some strange Kool-Aid concoction occasionally, as long as you don't pretend that you're drinking 100% fruit juice.

I agree.
Some people do believe in things you can't prove or disprove, either here on this planet, or after death.  For them, it's more comforting than the idea that they are nothing more than "at the top of the food chain"...  Well, at least until something happens that takes down the grid.

I'm not trying to make a case for nor against things that can't be proven to exist or proven to not exist, I'm just saying that at this point in evolution, most people need to believe in them psychologically, especially "life after death", and "special powers of the mind".

K_Dubb

Quote from: brig on June 18, 2016, 05:15:07 PM
I agree.
Some people do believe in things you can't prove or disprove, either here on this planet, or after death.  For them, it's more comforting than the idea that they are nothing more than "at the top of the food chain"...  Well, at least until something happens that takes down the grid.

I'm not trying to make a case for nor against things that can't be proven to exist or proven to not exist, I'm just saying that at this point in evolution, most people need to believe in them psychologically, especially "life after death", and "special powers of the mind".

Exactly.  We're the first humans in history to commit ourselves to a purely material existence.  Our ancestors spent enormous effort and vast resources trying to peer into the dark, while the modern man insists there is only light and what's for lunch.  It takes a bolder, far more optimistic man than I to hail this as progress and turn his back on myth.