• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Music

Started by RealCool Daddio, April 24, 2011, 10:21:45 PM

Quote from: Sardondi on October 31, 2012, 02:17:15 PM
I now have my official white noise sounds for sleepless nights! No kidding, this is a valuable find for me.

i have Tinnitus and have found such white noise effects to quiet the crickets and frogs. i tried other white noise effects, but they were always more of a sharp hiss. rain, running water and other ambient sounds didn't work because my brain would always locate patterns to the sound and thus stupid brain would imagine scenic arrays and lumbering stories to go along with....and... sigh................

Juan

I have tinnitus, too, and find that sNoory is the perfect audio background for sleep.  I'm absolutely serious.

selections that friends ever understood why i listened and enjoyed from the days when i had a lot more hair, but never a fringed jacket.  8)

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - From the Beginning HD

TRAFFIC The Low Spark High Heeled Boys

Tuesday Afternoon-The Moody Blues-(Long Extended Version)

Sardondi

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on November 08, 2012, 02:15:18 AM
selections that friends ever understood why i listened and enjoyed from the days when i had a lot more hair, but never a fringed jacket.  8)

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - From the Beginning HD

TRAFFIC The Low Spark High Heeled Boys

Tuesday Afternoon-The Moody Blues-(Long Extended Version)

This is the music I listened to on the "underground" radio station in high school. When I discovered it as a freshman, I thought I had opened the door to His Satanic Majesty's throne room. There was not a single Top 40 song played. It was music you could hear nowhere else at the time. Just-breaking Allman Brothers, Uriah Heep, Dead, Zappa, MC5, Humble Pie, Doors, Joplin, Mountain, Cream, "White Album", Savoy Brown, Wishbone Ash, "Deja Vu", Spooky Tooth. And the "art groups" like  Procul Harum, King Crimson, Robert Fripp, ELP, Yes, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Moody Blues, Spirit, Traffic. Very little Stones - too harsh a vibe I guess.

They played entire sides of albums without a break. No news other than about how the pigs were cracking skulls someplace or other. There might be no commercials in a 55-minute period, and then a black dj by the name of "Father Tree", who sounded like he was nodding out on H, would come on with a live ad about a local head shop, or a macro-vegan restaurant, or a music club "for happenin' dudes and fine foxes; but remember - no holding, dealing or using on the premisesssssss. Right on."

Different world.

ziznak

ahhhh... i yearn for such times again... maybe after the coming apocalypse humanity can get back to such hippie life.

Blinko

Quote from: ziznak on November 08, 2012, 01:32:29 PM
ahhhh... i yearn for such times again... maybe after the coming apocalypse humanity can get back to such hippie life.

Humanity is not meant to survive the coming apocalypse , nor should it. We've run our course.

I think our best contribution to the cosmic timeline is art . Moody blues is as fine an example as any.

Here's my offering.

Tchaikovsky. None but the Lonely Heart (choral version)

Juan

Quote from: ziznak on November 08, 2012, 01:32:29 PM
humanity can get back to such hippie life.
I have no job, no money, and no wife - damn, I'm back to being a hippie.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: UFO Fill on November 09, 2012, 09:31:01 AM
I have no job, no money, and no wife - damn, I'm back to being a hippie.
Hippies always had trust funds to fall back on.

Eddie Coyle

I was listening to Traffic's The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys cd today, and realized that the cd booklet picture of them is really a testament to the precarious nature of being a "rock and roll star".

The picture was taken in 1971, and not one of these men was even 28 at the time. But here are their fates.

Chris Wood  born 1944...dead 1983
      Rick  Grech  born 1946  dead  1990
     Jim Gordon   born 1945  incarcerated for his mother's murder since 1983
     Rebop           born   1944   dead   1983
     Jim Capaldi   born  1944   dead   2005
     Steve Winwood born 1948...the only one to really have a successful career after Traffic, so perhaps it's not coincidental he's still alive and well.

I just found that interesting and somewhat depressing.

McPhallus

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 09, 2012, 04:01:35 PM

I was listening to Traffic's The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys cd today, and realized that the cd booklet picture of them is really a testament to the precarious nature of being a "rock and roll star".

Jim Gordon   born 1945  incarcerated for his mother's murder since 1983

It's interesting how many of these guys suffered from mental illness, particularly schizophrenia.  Gordon, Syd Barrett, Brian Wilson, Roky Erickson, Peter Green, Skip Spence, and a few others I can't think of at the moment.

Makes you wonder if the causation was somehow related to or aggravated by the drug use.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: McPhallus on November 09, 2012, 05:52:41 PM
It's interesting how many of these guys suffered from mental illness, particularly schizophrenia.  Gordon, Syd Barrett, Brian Wilson, Roky Erickson, Peter Green, Skip Spence, and a few others I can't think of at the moment.

Makes you wonder if the causation was somehow related to or aggravated by the drug use.

It's something I've long been fascinated by. The guys you mention are great examples of guys taking a trip and never coming back, but were probably predisposed to madness anyway. There were guys like Iggy, Bowie, Lou Reed,Ozzy who appeared to be lost causes(both nuts and addicted)...but somehow recovered.

Blinko

Great rendition of the classic IOU track and a rare  clean tone from Allan.

There are actually two versions of this song on this collaboration album with Gordon Beck , one where Allan is actually singing.

rare Holdsworth indeed.

Allan Holdsworth Gordon beck - The Things You See(1980)

i dunno who this is, but the song/vid was really fun.

Lisa Hannigan - What'll I Do (Official HD Video)

Old country music gets me fired up to work, I don't know why.

http://youtu.be/39WNgUyJa6g

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 17, 2012, 04:04:17 PM
Old country music gets me fired up to work, I don't know why.

http://youtu.be/39WNgUyJa6g

I love Marty.   I was raised by my grandma and grandpa, and we listened to Marty's records often.  My own daughter loves him as well. 

I just found this gem.  LOL. 

Ian Dury - Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick 1978

Sardondi

There was time when Westerns were so huge that Marty Robbins recorded an album of songs devoted to the genre. And it sold zillions and had a #1 song ("El Paso") on it...

Sardondi

Quote from: HorrorRetro on November 17, 2012, 04:11:00 PM
....I just found this gem.  LOL. 

Ian Dury - Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick 1978

I gotta say I don't share a sense of fun over Ian Dury and the Blockheads. Maybe I would if I stumbled across it for the first time today. But I was there to experience it in real time. *sob* So it's different for me. See, I fell into a depression over music about 1975 and I haven't really gotten over it. For me, in relative suck, worst to somewhat least worst, we'd start with the absolute nadir, disco. Then, out of chronology but in next-to-last in absolute suckiness we have grunge; then somewhat better, there's punk and it's close neighbor in time and musical relationship, New Wave, to which your Ian Dury vid belongs. So it's painful for me to listen to Ian because sucks so bad my ears bleed.

Compare Ian to his almost perfect contemporary, Thunder Island by Jay Ferguson. This is that wonderfully gooey sweet formulalic AM radio confection which can only be produced by the sterile technical perfection to which the studio engineer's art is applied, resulting in the glorious, soulless sound known as Top-40 radio. This song may have not a single spontaneous note in it, but it is a towering mountain of hook goodness. It's got such fantastic hookage that it needs to be called "Captain", and wear an eyepatch. And there is no better wind-in-the-hair, top-down kind of music in the world.

Jay Ferguson ~ Thunder Island

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Sardondi on November 17, 2012, 08:28:49 PM
There was time when Westerns were so huge that Marty Robbins recorded an album of songs devoted to the genre. And it sold zillions and had a #1 song ("El Paso") on it...

Yep.  I know every song on that album.  That was in frequent rotation at our house, along with Patsy Cline and Ray Price.  I despise modern country music, but I love this stuff.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Sardondi on November 17, 2012, 10:08:00 PM
I gotta say I don't share a sense of fun over Ian Dury and the Blockheads. Maybe I would if I stumbled across it for the first time today. But I was there to experience it in real time. *sob* So it's different for me. See, I fell into a depression over music about 1975 and I haven't really gotten over it. For me, in relative suck, worst to somewhat least worst, we'd start with the absolute nadir, disco. Then, out of chronology but in next-to-last in absolute suckiness we have grunge; then somewhat better, there's punk and it's close neighbor in time and musical relationship, New Wave, to which your Ian Dury vid belongs. So it's painful for me to listen to Ian because sucks so bad my ears bleed.

I'm embarrassed to say I'd not listened to Ian Dury before today.  I was actually listening to punk -- Circle Jerks, Sham 69, Bad Brains, etc. when I saw his video come up as related, so I decided to check it out.  It was, ugh, interesting. 

Sardondi

Quote from: HorrorRetro on November 17, 2012, 10:28:10 PM
I'm embarrassed to say I'd not listened to Ian Dury before today.  I was actually listening to punk -- Circle Jerks, Sham 69, Bad Brains, etc. when I saw his video come up as related, so I decided to check it out.  It was, ugh, interesting.

I listened to "mainstream" punk like Ramones, Elvis Costello, Patti Smith and The Clash (yeah, they were considered punk then), but I refused to listen to the Pistols. But I only listened to the ones I did out of mere instinct for survival since the radio (and later the early MTV) alternatives were so wretched. But I wouldn't call myself a huge fan. Sort of a friendly observer. I eventually went another way entirely, pretty much abandoning music on the radio other than occasional drive time listens, and instead went back to my roots and concentrated on British invasion/British blues-based groups and American singer-songwriters, with electives in Zeppelin and Floyd, and Springsteen through "Born In The USA".

jeffy

America (still making CD's),  Steely Dan,  New Grass Revival,  Sam  Bush,  Tony Rice,  Michael Murphy (his cowboy song cd's),  Carole King,  Mike and the mechanics,  Percy Faith,  roger williams,  Earl Klugh,  David Benoit and on and on.

analog kid

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 09, 2012, 06:25:26 PM
      It's something I've long been fascinated by. The guys you mention are great examples of guys taking a trip and never coming back, but were probably predisposed to madness anyway. There were guys like Iggy, Bowie, Lou Reed,Ozzy who appeared to be lost causes(both nuts and addicted)...but somehow recovered.

To be fair, Sid was drugged continually for an extended period. He lived in some sort of artist community dwelling and everyone there would routinely slip hallucinogens into his drinks. He had his brain permanently fried by prankster frat boys.

Poe: Haunted

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: analog kid on December 05, 2012, 12:18:04 AM
To be fair, Sid was drugged continually for an extended period. He lived in some sort of artist community dwelling and everyone there would routinely slip hallucinogens into his drinks. He had his brain permanently fried by prankster frat boys.
I've read that, and I do consider him probably most "damaged" of the acid-casualties of the era because his decline was irreversible, pretty much wiped out in every sense by 1971. That he made it to 60 is incredible. That he didn't end up like Nick Drake(dead young) is kind of amazing.