• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight in the Diner: Tales from the Road

Started by WeinerInHand, November 22, 2018, 01:04:20 PM

Metron2267

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on November 29, 2018, 12:12:04 PM
Wind River Canyon baby - over by Thermop! ;)

I can't remember where but I am pretty sure that it was the western side and north.

pate

Quote from: WeinerInHand on November 29, 2018, 05:39:04 AM
Louisiana

I love LA this time of year.  When I was young the family would make a trip to the ancestral homeland about every other year for Christmas and stay with the grandparents, they would look at me funny when I would go outside in the "freezing" 50F weather without a coat and wander the woods and canals with my dog.

"Doc" looked like this

sort of.  I got him when I was 6 as a puppy, my mom bought him for my aunt & uncle.  We raised him in KC for his first year & a half then sent him down to LA to live on my aunt & uncle's ranch.  He immediately ran away (I think he was looking for me) and followed the train tracks north.  They found him after a few days, thankfully, and brought him back.  He never wandered after that again, but did go out in the canal and got bit in the neck by a water moccasin shortly after the run-away thing.  He survived that (I think he was about 2 or 2 1/2 when that happened) somehow.  Every year when I went down I had to shave his neck where the moccasin had bit him, he would let my aunt and uncle shave every other part of him, but would bite them if they tried to shave that area.  He was awesome, never forgot me and would move up to my grandma's house where I stayed whenever I was down there, then go back to my aunt and uncle's after I left.  Me and that dog would wander all over the family lands all day.  Doc was the best.  He lived for something like 16 years down there, never forgot me.  Testament to the loyalty of a dog.

They also had some local hunting dogs, that were pretty cool, used them for rabbit hunting mainly I think.  They had one named Bo that looked sorta like this:

Those are pretty cool dogs, too.

It's been far too long since I have been down there to visit...  I plan to retire there, if I can make the extra $$ it'd take to build a house/shack on a spot in the "back forty" and go "full Cajun"...

Metron2267

You really need to get some time in Thermop to see/soak in their many Hot Springs:

WOTR

Quote from: pate on November 29, 2018, 12:27:53 PM

It's been far too long since I have been down there to visit...  I plan to retire there, if I can make the extra $$ it'd take to build a house/shack on a spot in the "back forty" and go "full Cajun"...

It is a nice area.  Is there still a lot of back forty real estate that is not stupidly priced?

WeinerInHand

The last dog I had was a Jack Russell named Abbey and I had her trained to sit, stay, and come using only hand signals. People don't understand that teaching a dog - even just simple tricks - establishes that dogs trust in you. I lost her in my divorce about twelve years ago. I still miss her. Meaning the dog.
I'm a fan of Louisiana, the people are laid back and the food is great. I've even had gator sausage down there.

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on November 29, 2018, 12:32:20 PM
You really need to get some time in Thermop to see/soak in their many Hot Springs:

That's the problem with driving truck - I get to see a lot of things but I rarely get to stop and look around.

albrecht

I love LA this time of year.  When I was young the family would make a trip to the ancestral homeland about every other year for Christmas and stay with the grandparents, they would look at me funny when I would go outside in the "freezing" 50F weather without a coat and wander the woods and canals with my dog.

"Doc" looked like this

sort of.  I got him when I was 6 as a puppy, my mom bought him for my aunt & uncle.  We raised him in KC for his first year & a half then sent him down to LA to live on my aunt & uncle's ranch.  He immediately ran away (I think he was looking for me) and followed the train tracks north.  They found him after a few days, thankfully, and brought him back.  He never wandered after that again, but did go out in the canal and got bit in the neck by a water moccasin shortly after the run-away thing.  He survived that (I think he was about 2 or 2 1/2 when that happened) somehow.  Every year when I went down I had to shave his neck where the moccasin had bit him, he would let my aunt and uncle shave every other part of him, but would bite them if they tried to shave that area.  He was awesome, never forgot me and would move up to my grandma's house where I stayed whenever I was down there, then go back to my aunt and uncle's after I left.  Me and that dog would wander all over the family lands all day.  Doc was the best.  He lived for something like 16 years down there, never forgot me.  Testament to the loyalty of a dog.

They also had some local hunting dogs, that were pretty cool, used them for rabbit hunting mainly I think.  They had one named Bo that looked sorta like this:

Those are pretty cool dogs, too.

Doc looks, and acts, like he was a good dog. The second dog mention is a Catahoula Cur. And is good for MUCH more than rabbits. A general purpose dog for herding and hunting lots of small game and tough. Can climb trees (!) and is even used as 'bay dog' for hogs (which are a tough and dangerous animals!) and to bay bears! They have webbed feet so can swim and operate in swamp excellently.

Metron2267

Quote from: WeinerInHand on November 29, 2018, 12:41:39 PM
That's the problem with driving truck - I get to see a lot of things but I rarely get to stop and look around.

I hear that, lots of places to go back to some day though.

Also recommended - Fairmont Hot Springs in Anaconda, Montana:

pate

Quote from: WOTR on November 29, 2018, 12:38:49 PM

It is a nice area.  Is there still a lot of back forty real estate that is not stupidly priced?

I dunno, I am sure there is plenty.  As long as I don't piss off my mother, I get a 1/4 of her chunk of family land when she passes away.  I'd rather she stays alive, so I have talked over the years about getting it deeded over before then.  She has already told me I am welcome to build a shack/house there whenever I want to.

I am not really sure how much acreage and where exactly it is.  For some reason I want to say it is about 25 acres?  Fuck I don't know, could be 100 acres for all I know, but 25 seems like a safe bet.  I think right now it is being used as pasture for my uncle's cattle or something.

As far as where it is, I am not sure.  Could be anywhere, my family has lived down there for a really long time.  I have a gravesite in the family graveyard down there, I will be interred near one of the older graves dated I think 1592?  We started out with a Spanish Land Grant in the 1500s down there and it was pretty massive, by today's standards, anyhow.

Of course over 500 years it has been split up pretty good through inheritances and sales and such.  I think the original grant went from some number of miles east of the Mississippi and was several miles "tall" north and south.  There are a lot of towns scattered around on it now.  It's kinda neat actually, I know less about it than I should.

Something to "study up on," as Karl would say, when and if I am living the good life in my Cajun shack/house...

Maybe I will build a library in my house/shack that looks something like this

WOTR

Quote from: pate on November 29, 2018, 09:55:37 PM
I dunno, I am sure there is plenty.  As long as I don't piss off my mother, I get a 1/4 of her chunk of family land when she passes away.  I'd rather she stays alive, so I have talked over the years about getting it deeded over before then.  She has already told me I am welcome to build a shack/house there whenever I want to.
Cool.  I would think it is kind of nice to have a long term plan.  I don't know if you have ever mentioned it... Is there a "home base" right now?  Or is it the truck?  I have not paid enough attention- but it does not seem to be a pattern- and you are all over the map (certainly does not appear as a standard run A to B to C and home again.)

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on November 29, 2018, 01:09:21 PM
I hear that, lots of places to go back to some day though.

Also recommended - Fairmont Hot Springs in Anaconda, Montana:

Northeast Wyoming would be a place I'd like to see.

pate

Quote from: WOTR on November 30, 2018, 12:05:03 AM
Cool.  I would think it is kind of nice to have a long term plan.  I don't know if you have ever mentioned it... Is there a "home base" right now?  Or is it the truck?  I have not paid enough attention- but it does not seem to be a pattern- and you are all over the map (certainly does not appear as a standard run A to B to C and home again.)

You got me mixed up with Wiener.  I don't have a truck...

Just three dogs and a dream.

WOTR

Quote from: pate on November 30, 2018, 01:14:07 AM
You got me mixed up with Wiener.  I don't have a truck...

Just three dogs and a dream.

Oh, good... I suppose I should look at who is posting before I reply.  Fortunately, this is the internet, and it has a short memory for my stupidity.  :-[

Well, it still sounds like a nice plan.

WeinerInHand

Quote from: WOTR on November 30, 2018, 02:29:47 AM
Oh, good... I suppose I should look at who is posting before I reply.  Fortunately, this is the internet, and it has a short memory for my stupidity.  :-[

Well, it still sounds like a nice plan.

I've been to all of the lower 48 except California, Nevada, and Montana.

Spookcat

Quote from: WeinerInHand on November 30, 2018, 06:32:23 AM
I've been to all of the lower 48 except California, Nevada, and Montana.

Which area has the best sunrise?

WeinerInHand

Quote from: spookcat on November 30, 2018, 06:51:58 AM
Which area has the best sunrise?

That's a tough question... South Carolina comes to mind, and to see the sun break over the mountains when in Utah is pretty spectacular.
I suppose a general guideline would be anywhere in the midwest because you have time to breathe and enjoy it. The coasts are always too hectic.

Metron2267

Quote from: WeinerInHand on November 30, 2018, 12:44:31 AM
Northeast Wyoming would be a place I'd like to see.

You can hike all the way around that, straight up to treeline. Not unusual to see high scale climbers heading for the top, which looks like:

Dominating feature, truly awe inspiring. 8)

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on November 30, 2018, 10:56:14 AM
You can hike all the way around that, straight up to treeline. Not unusual to see high scale climbers heading for the top, which looks like:

Dominating feature, truly awe inspiring. 8)

I hear there are a lot of friendly and unique people out that way.

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Metron2267 on November 30, 2018, 03:15:38 PM
And flying ice cream cones too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MW3KJUa8FQ

While we're at it, let's take a moment to remember the beauty of Terri Garr back in the day!

Metron2267

And how!

Kind of a wee crush on her sister Lisa who hosts Coast infrequently:

The freckles are a nice touch  :D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WeinerInHand on November 30, 2018, 03:21:05 PM
While we're at it, let's take a moment to remember the beauty of Terri Garr back in the day!

She was always great on Letterman. Dave had a crush on her...but most men did back then.

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 30, 2018, 07:43:30 PM
She was always great on Letterman. Dave had a crush on her...but most men did back then.

Honorable mentions:

Don't judge me!!!