• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

How did you record C2C?

Started by bschott, June 19, 2011, 04:19:48 AM

bschott

This is for all listeners...but mainly I am asking those who have been following C2C since the early 90's or before.   I want to know how you may have recorded C2C before the internet became huge, before the Artbell.com website, before art dabbled in webcasting free on the net, before streamlink.

I know that real life sometimes made it impossible to listen to Art every night, or there may have been a time when you heard of a show coming up you really wanted to listen to but couldn't because of some reason or another.  At those times, how did you make recordings of the shows?

For me, I taped the shows on VHS tapes. Ok, laugh if you want. 

I didn't know about C2C until near the end of 1992 when a friend of my parents mentioned it in a passing conversation with my father.  I stayed up late one night, pretending to be asleep while I listened to the first hour of C2C with Art Bell...I fell asleep during a commercial break.

I was a kid still living at home in and listening to a late-night talk show that started at midnight and didn't end until 4AM wasn't kosher with the folks nor did it jive with school.  I didn't have a way to record it with my stereo as I had no way to time the recordings.

A couple of years earlier in 1990 my grandparents bought me my own VCR and small TV for my bedroom and later that year, I got a cable drop by my parents for good grades.  In early 1993 a media store I had been working at part time went out of business and I was able to get all their unsold VHS tapes  (couple hundred) for around $20 and a promise to help break down all the old isle shelving and help clean out the store for free. 

That night, I had rearranged my room and while pulling in my stereo, TV, and VCR I noticed the RCA input and outputs.  I dusted off the old unused manuals for all three pieces of equipment and after a little thought, I figured out I could probably record audio from my stereo onto my VCR.  I tried it by plugging my RCA Audio Out line from my stereo to the Audio In of my VCR and then test recording a local AM radio station.  No dice.  Reading the VCR manual over again, I found that it had to have a video signal or else it wouldn't record the audio.

I then plugged the RCA Video Out from my TV to the Video In of my VCR. Doing a test recording worked great, but I found out by playing with the recorded channels that if the channel was off the air and the VCR was getting static, the audio would stop being recorded.

To fix it, I set the VCR to record Channel 3, the channel I switched to to watch cable TC.  I then tuned the cable box in my room to the weather channel since that is ALWAYS on.  Put the VCR in EP mode so I could get 8 hours of recording time per tape, set the 'start' and 'end' timers on the VCR to 11:50pm local and 4:10am local respectively, made sure the stereo was on and tuned to the local affiliate every night before I went to bed (and that the speakers were unplugged) and that family members understood not to touch my stereo. Voila! I could get two full shows on one tape and it worked perfectly!

Laugh all you want, I was a poor high school kid making due with what I had at the time.  I thought it was beyond great at the time.   I'd get home after school and do homework while listening to the prior night's shows.   I believe I have every show recorded from may 1993 to December 1996.  In late 1996 I started playing with MP3's and by Jan 1997 I moved from VHS to recording directly to a computer and then converting the shows into MP3s the next morning.  Unfortunately, I lost all my recorded shows from 1997 to 2005 in an apartment complex fire but my old VHS recordings were safe at my parents. 

I'm hoping to rebuild the gap in my C2C collection from 1997 to 2005 and one day I plan to take time to convert all my old pre-1997 recordings to MP3's and share them.

So today, I bit torrent.  I dislike Snorry but it's C2C, harddrive space is cheep, and who knows when Art might decide to make an appearance.

aldousburbank

I still have several old cassette tapes around of Art doing particular C2C interviews, particularly the first and last Terence McKenna interviews.

Usagi

Yup, I taped the shows on cassettes on my giant and cheap "boom box" in the mid-late 90's.  Not necessarily out of a desire to save them (I wasn't thinking that far ahead in middle and high school).  Rather, I taped them to listen to on my Walkman on the bus to school because I couldn't stay up late enough to listen.  In fact, I usually taped over recorded tapes with new shows.

Additionally, I would replay choice parts to my friends during lunch time or during P.E.  I didn't convert many people, unfortunately.

My interest in unusual topics spring from far earlier, though.... elementary school age.  I would devour UFO books, watch Sightings, even developed my own Paranormal Investigation Society at the age of 8.  The headquarters was a "fort" in the woods. Surprisingly (or perhaps not surprisingly), however, I've never once had anything even remotely close to a paranormal experience personally.

brugvu

BSCHOTT

message me asap.
i just sent you a message.
i will convert your vcr tapes for free.
and give you whatever you wanted...
i have the world's largest ART BELL mp3 collection.

my extremely old list of shows is posted somewhere around here.. search brugvu..
you'll see it.
added another 100 or so since.

10-15 years of hard dedicated work and lots of money spent.
i seem to be the only person who actually pays for ART BELL shows and does not beg for them.
i'm begging you to allow me to convert yours for free.
i pay shipping both ways. mp3s sent back to you for free.
and i'd send you my entire collection if yours is as good as i think it is!!!!!!!!!!!

that offer applies to all.
anyone who recorded ART BELL prior to 1998 is a genius. supreme genius.
i didnt know of ART BELL or coast to coast till 2001. WAY TOO LATE BY THEN :)

ps ALL TIME TRAVEL SHOWS NEEDED. $25 for each STEVE phone call i get.. 1997-1999 i have 7 or 8 of 16 total call ins.
mike aka brugvu

brugvu

BRUGVU WANTS TO CONVERT YOUR ART BELL RADIO SHOW TAPES FOR FREE.

Everyone knows that BRUGVU has the WOLD'S LARGEST ART BELL SHOW COLLECTION.

He spends most of his time and money finding, buying, collecting, converting TAPES of OLD ART BELL SHOWS.

BRUGVU SPEAKS IN THE 3rd 4th and 5th person.

search "brugvu" on bellgab and you will see his OLD list of shows. he aint bullsheeping you.

He has VERSA-CORDERS, REEL-TALKS, VCRs, and  regular tape players waiting to convert your shows for you for free!

He will pay for any and all OLD TAPE collections. just send him a list of what's on them.. Dates, guests, topics.. exact dates are best..
but.. he is a genius and can easily figure out what date the show is from just by listening.. especially if "news and weather" from that day are on tape..
ps SPORT SCORES are the easiest verification. just google the teams and scores.

He spends 1000's of hours searching for people who have taped Art's old shows (90's) and finally thought it was time to make his very first POST about it.

He will pay for the shipping both ways. and do all the work for you for free. YOUR own OLD TAPES converted to MP3s. FREE
He likes to keep the originals. if you want them, back let him know.

BRUGVU WILL HELP YOU CONVERT YOUR OLD TAPES AND MAKE YOU YOUR VERY OWN ART BELL SHOW COLLECTION. 

Private message him.
BRUGVU also buys/sells/trades all 80's transforming robot toys. ALL UFO/ALIEN/MARS/PYRAMIDS/TIMETRAVEL/BIGFOOT/ASTEROID/ELE/ARCHAEOLOGY  vcr tapes/books/magazine/toys/ NEW t-shirts or hats. anything ART BELL related. like AFTER DARK magazines.

IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THAT STUFF TO SELL OR TRADE.. OR JUST GET RID OF.. I WANT IT ALL.

BRUGVU is a cool guy. he has almost no friends. Lives in his wife's basement with 3 cats. he's a scorpio. born on ALL saint's day.
He studies the non randomness of Extinction Levels Events, Time-Travel, Stargates, and all Geological wonders..
He has found the KT asteroid.  USA's very own STARGATE. and the mathematical ratio of extinction level events.
and has proof that TIME-TRAVEL is real, and that STARGATES really do exist.

Brugvu is an expert in shutting his mouth on EXACT DETAILS. so no need to harass him.  MIB's NSA CIA or FBI or anyone from LANULOUS. unless his name is STEVE. MIB steve.

so send him all your tapes. or else he will spill his guts on everything he has found.. hahahahahahahahahahahahahha

thanks!!
speaker for BRUGVU
(his mail is HOT)
Modify message

Swishypants

I had an "Art Bell Cassette." I recorded the show and played it back if I fell asleep, but I just used the one tape and it's long gone. I wish I had used multiple tapes and kept them now.