• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

WOTR

Quote from: 73s on May 28, 2016, 09:27:31 AM
And I remember on-air bickering and trolling back in the 1980s, for all I know it could have originated on ham radio!
I would imagine that modern trolling likely originated with the first telegraph operators. ;)

73s

Quote from: WOTR on May 28, 2016, 11:40:19 AM
I would imagine that modern trolling likely originated with the first telegraph operators. ;)

True.

FYI, the term "ham" (as one popular theory has it) originated in the telegraph world, referring to someone who was a poor operator.  :D

WOTR

Quote from: 73s on May 28, 2016, 11:43:29 AM
True.

FYI, the term "ham" (as one popular theory has it) originated in the telegraph world, referring to someone who was a poor operator.  :D
I did not know that... Kind of makes my last comment seem a little redundant and misplaced. :(

Robert

Quote from: 73s on May 28, 2016, 11:43:29 AMFYI, the term "ham" (as one popular theory has it) originated in the telegraph world, referring to someone who was a poor operator.  :D
Extremely unlikely for a bit of techie jargon like that to have gotten around w that meaning.  Also, telegraphers were probably not in the habit of adding extra letters even when they spoke.  I'm pretty sure it originated wherever it is in England that it's popular to tack on an "h" sound on initial vowels, and first applied to amateurs at something else.

aldousburbank

trostol

you Morse code like my momma?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Robert on May 28, 2016, 01:48:47 PM
Extremely unlikely for a bit of techie jargon like that to have gotten around w that meaning.  Also, telegraphers were probably not in the habit of adding extra letters even when they spoke.  I'm pretty sure it originated wherever it is in England that it's popular to tack on an "h" sound on initial vowels, and first applied to amateurs at something else.

Nope. I tend to believe this account.

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/origin-of-ham.htm

pate

With that, I am off to the one hunnert, an fiddy yarns ago, thread...

effluenza

Apparently Art was a caller on the MITD open lines show. Can anyone confirm?

Roswells, Art

Quote from: effluenza on May 29, 2016, 03:00:34 PM

I heard about it too. It would be nice if one of the three people that heard it could give us the clip.

cosmic hobo

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 29, 2016, 03:02:25 PM
I heard about it too. It would be nice if one of the three people that heard it could give us the clip.

According to the live thread he was only on for a very short tune before Heather dumped the call.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: cosmic hobo on May 29, 2016, 03:06:24 PM
According to the live thread he was only on for a very short tune before Heather dumped the call.

Of course. I mean Wolfman might be trying to call in, don't want to miss that call.

Daggit

Quote from: cosmic hobo on May 29, 2016, 03:06:24 PM

That is why she should not be hosting. Give the audience what they want. Sheesh.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: effluenza on May 29, 2016, 03:00:34 PM

Yeah, and it was really no big deal. I didn't find it exciting or interesting in the least. I guess I'm over him. I suppose if he came back to host I'd listen to check it out but I feel kind of fucked around by him now. Not that I feel he owes me anything. I just feel that he really let his loyal fans down this time. It seems like he doesn't have much respect for us anymore when he's willing to let a surrogate host do shows about luck machines and other carnival barker type stuff that screams obvious bullshit to most. He used to be so good at riding that fine line between the believable and the unbelievable that he could easily capture your attention for 5 hours a night, most nights...but now we get a choice of politics (bathroom politics these days, it seems  ::)) or full-on bullshit. If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't listen to MITD at all...and they fucking hate us here. Iconic!

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 29, 2016, 03:28:35 PM
Yeah, and it was really no big deal. I didn't find it exciting or interesting in the least. I guess I'm over him. I suppose if he came back to host I'd listen to check it out but I feel kind of fucked around by him now. Not that I feel he owes me anything. I just feel that he really let his loyal fans down this time. It seems like he doesn't have much respect for us anymore when he's willing to let a surrogate host do shows about luck machines and other carnival barker type stuff that screams obvious bullshit to most. He used to be so good at riding that fine line between the believable and the unbelievable that he could easily capture your attention for 5 hours a night, most nights...but now we get a choice of politics (bathroom politics these days, it seems  ::)) or full-on bullshit. If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't listen to MITD at all...and they fucking hate us here. Iconic!

Many feel this way

chefist

Quote from: username on May 29, 2016, 03:36:30 PM
Many feel this way

Art really called in on open lines? Did he state his name as Art? WTF?

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Daggit on May 29, 2016, 03:17:27 PM
That is why she should not be hosting. Give the audience what they want. Sheesh.

Yeah, it almost had a chance of being interesting. That was close.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: chefist on May 29, 2016, 03:39:59 PM

Reading above posts....  He called in & it was short lived.

dan7800

I think some of Heather's shows are good, but 5 hours is too long for any show, regardless of the host.

I agree about losing interest in Art. If he hosted, I would listen in if I could, but wouldn't make a big deal of things. Heck, I cannot even listen to his old shows anymore.

aldousburbank

Quote from: chefist on May 29, 2016, 03:39:59 PM

Arthur from Pahrump. First time caller long time listener.  ;)

Roswells, Art

Quote from: aldousburbank on May 29, 2016, 04:10:04 PM
Arthur from Pahrump. First time caller long time listener.  ;)

Second time caller. He called on Heather's first night. So did you, right?

norland2424

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 29, 2016, 04:11:57 PM

how long was the second call anyway?

aldousburbank

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 29, 2016, 04:11:57 PM
Yeah. Art and me just hanging out, phone pranking.

Here's a clip of Art's call:

[attachment id=1 msg=825034]

norland2424

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on May 29, 2016, 04:22:06 PM

wait how did she not know it was Art if he called from skype, and she let him go fast

Roswells, Art

Quote from: aldousburbank on May 29, 2016, 04:19:46 PM
Yeah. Art and me just hanging out, phone pranking.

Maybe she just read your text. That was way back when I was a supporter.

Mr. Fidget

Not only did Art call Friday, but so did I... twice. Once before Art, where I ranted a bit about global wealth inequality... and then went on to suggest Heather continue the end of show "Honors" tradition. She said she had before, but for some reason stopped. She said she would from here on out... so I called back and got "the honors" at the end of the show. I believe Art calling after me may have been another manifestation of "the Rooney effect". Who knows. ;)

Rix Gins

Thanks, Six.  Now I'm wondering if Art listens to the whole five hours.  I'm impressed, or depressed, can't decide which. 

Roswells, Art

He sounds great. I remember that asteroid and credit story. Also I think Art has Apple stock.