• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

True Confessions Of BellGab

Started by Jackstar, September 22, 2016, 01:21:25 PM

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on August 29, 2017, 04:29:33 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMwc1c0HRQ
You just get very authentic and friendly like they are an old buddy you haven't seen in a long time.  But not crazy like on drugs.  Just really chatty with that good old friend vibe... and of course, you are making a sort of friend so it's pretty authentic.  Staying short of gushing, always respond in kind and agreeably even if you disagree with them, and watch them let down their guard a little (pros and cons to that, but it helps for this purpose to let them unload their own stuff on you briefly).  I usually don't plan it; it just happens.  This has been going on for years.

Recently, I won big time when an item 30% off was given to me for an additional $30 off (by mistake or unnoticed/uncared computer error).  So I gave transactions some thought.  I'd always known cash register transactions are kind of a double-edged sword for me, as they tend to involve a lot of mistakes on everyone's part (some of which is expected because merchandising is not very good with clearance items).  I realized when the dynamic happens, cashiers start to scan robotically and absent-mindedly because their attention is on you.  That's when I recently realized hypnosis was happening all my adult life and I never even knew it!

Anyhow, the drawback is that the cashier errors can go either way, your favor, or the store.  One week, I tallied errors and realized I would have been scammed out of $40 that week if I had not paid attention, balked, and/or gone to the customer service counter to have an error fixed.  So, you would want to allow a little extra time, and carefully check the receipt, and be willing to speak up.  Sometimes the errors will go both ways during one transaction.  In which case, you can say one error washes out the other, and move on out with your purchase.  Or, you can go get in line to have the error which was in the store's favor fixed.

Sometimes when the customer service cashier fixes the error that was in the store's favor, s/he might not notice the other error which was in your favor.  That's pretty special when you think about it, for people on a tight budget who really are choosing between soap and transportation money.  Besides, even if s/he corrects both errors, you are no worse off than the actual shelf price anyway.

Be careful charming the customer service cashier who corrects errors,  because while s/he may overlook something to your advantage, s/he might also make a new mistake in the store's favor, if you distract them, at which point a manager override is usually needed, which takes a long time, and draws attention to you which you might not want.  I mean, stores will feel sorry for you if cashiers always make mistakes for a while, but still, I would keep a low profile.  Even though being charming isn't illegal, people who watch the cameras might be suspicious if they see you getting refunds on errors all the time.  Plus, if someone came to figure you use charm to distract cashiers, they might despise you.  Which isn't really fair because people are lonely and charm fills a need.  It's not a shopper's fault that the process is so automated and full of repetitive stress that it can be performed absent-mindedly.  Management ought to be glad you cheered up a fatigued employee with a boost of zest, really.

Another thing, cashier accuracy is monitored.  One time, a cashier I approved of in general made two error that washed each other out.  I remember that I just accepted it and left, because I didn't want her accuracy to be questioned.  Because I liked her.  Besides, on some level I knew that she was prone to errors, so I figured why not let this one error go, and maybe get lucky another time.  I knew if I had the error in the store's favor corrected, she might get in trouble.  Also for that reason, employee stability, when being charming, spread it around through different cashiers and different times of day so no particular employee or shift looks any more inaccurate to management than the others.  But, if a rude cashier makes two errors which wash each other out, why not try to have at least the detrimental error corrected.  Who cares if a rude employee is caught making a mistake?  Besides, you might get lucky if customer service corrects the detrimental error but overlooks the other error which had been in your favor.

This might sound very calculated, but it has just been something natural that happens to me.  After that big discount I got by mistake recently, I thought about it and came to understand how the dynamic has been happening, so of course I will review it for ethics.  I haven't really gotten that far.  It's been more of a "got lucky" or "got screwed and had to wait forever for manager overrides.". But now I think I see what is going on.  The gist is to charm, hope for errors, and make sure detrimental errors get corrected after-the-fact while overlooking any errors which are not detrimental to you.  While being nice, and fair, to employees.  And if you are not struggling to the point of choosing between deodorant or a flea collar, then why not just be nice to the system, too,  by reporting all significant errors.

Sometimes it is very difficult to know if an error even occurred.  Small transactions have become very tedious and complex.  Stores have become clubs, with club card membership, which has allowed stores to circumvent some consumer protections laws.  Because clubs can have their own rules, as I'm sure that lovely guest on Coast says.  Some stores run coupons and clubs.  Some stores tell shoppers they have to "scan" coupons at the merchandise shelf, while not clearly stating that the same deal is available by coupon if you dont have a scanner phone, or if you are too short or too bent to reach the shelf with your scsnner.  Most prices on merchandise shelf labels are readable, but product descriptions and bar codes are no longer legible, even with glasses, and many are at ankle level.  Products have helpful "per unit" prices (like per ounce or gram) posted on the shelf labels, but half the time it is apples to oranges because some products use grams and others use millilitres (or whatever) even for the same tyoe of food.  Merchandisers don't have much the time to deal with logistics when there is too much product for one space, so many items are located under false price/upc/product description shelf labels, which can inadvertently cost shoppers a lot more than they bargained for.  So, there is always the cop out when you examine your receipt that you really don't understand the pricing system anyhow!  How would you have noticed a mistake in your favor!  For years, the products at one very large chain rang up about 20% less than shelf price, and no one noticed, no one cared, and to this day I wonder if it was some weird business tactic.  I don't think management can really get upset over the use of charm, or even deliberate and blatant disctraction or hypnosis, when half the time neither you nor the cashier really understands the intended price of a product.

It seems like stores rely on fatigue to drive consumer choices, as evidenced by the lack of shade for parking/sitting, the lack of awnings, the lack of isle "call buttons", the long lines, the extremely loud cash register beeps, and the lack of benches/amenities.  And they sell shelf spaces to the highest brand bidder, instead of keeping items the elderly need at easy reach.  They dont offer reachers for high items.  They dont offer tilted, or pull-out bottom shelves.  They don't put good lighting by bottom shelves.

So, uh, yes, be nice to the system indeed.  When you see a mistake, march right back in!

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on September 22, 2016, 01:21:25 PM
Even though I haunt the Political forum virtually twenty four seven as if it were my fuckin' job, I haven't actually bothered to vote in the last three elections I have been able to do so.

LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN
Being knowledgeable is one thing.  Exercising intelligence is too!

Jojo

I once conducted a sales pitch with bright, mismatched socks on by mistake (I lived in a dark basement).  Did not get the sale, although the wife couldn't understand her husband's resistance.  He had noticed...

Jojo

My landlord bought a replacement refrigerator which was way too big and blocked cupboards.  She was not willing to return it.  I unhinged the door so I could (barely) squeeze the fridge into a room she would not be smart enough to get it out of.

Jojo

I don't think I have ever taken appropriate waste to a toxic waste event or site.  And I prefer disposible flatware.

Jojo

I was in a grocery store with a guy I really liked, who I had started seeing.  I was leaving for a week on a trip.  He saw a boquet at the end cap by the cashier's line, and he asked me if he could give it to me.  I hesitantly agreed, cried my heart out later, and never talked to him again.

And I would do it all over again...

Jackstar

Quote from: Jojo on September 04, 2017, 08:29:27 PM
That's when I recently realized hypnosis was happening all my adult life and I never even knew it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=358Lpafu54c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WyGTNrqNtw

Quote from: Jojo on September 04, 2017, 08:29:27 PM
I thought about it and came to understand how the dynamic has been happening, so of course I will review it for ethics.  I haven't really gotten that far.

I started this way.

paladin1991

Quote from: Jojo on September 05, 2017, 01:39:58 AM
My landlord bought a replacement refrigerator which was way too big and blocked cupboards.  She was not willing to return it.  I unhinged the door so I could (barely) squeeze the fridge into a room she would not be smart enough to get it out of.

senda?

pate

Quote from: aldousburbank on February 19, 2017, 11:11:10 AM
Not certain why. But it may go back to negative olfactory experiences in the Pike's Place fish market.

NOst, ur, I maintain you don't eat where your immediate ancestors bum-dirty waters or Atlantean Streets; yo?

I wuz bored and razed in a now semi-arid non-oceniac(sp( zone:

Where is my smiley?

Not Sure, what I just kanfess'd up two, but;

Carry Anne(sp)!

pate

Quote from: Jackstar on February 19, 2017, 12:53:27 PM

...ninety bucks' worth.

I.,.,.,.,.,.,.drosage.

mm*..

And that for the platter itself?

.*y; brosaggalicious?

Tast*

pate

Quote from: ShayP on May 05, 2017, 04:59:13 PM
...By the way, catfish is delicious.

Fish get boring, but albino fish?  I heard 'twasty!

pate

Quote from: mv on August 18, 2017, 10:41:02 PM
I have feelings of guilt over the bugs I killed when I was a kid.

I have no broplem with the young onions, it's the old unoins I have trouble with;  as that and myslef.

mm,.?

fromage on!

pate

Quote from: ksm32 on August 30, 2017, 11:19:01 PM
... I did it once!..

...Donc,., tu aime les poisson maintenant?   

Apogees!?.

Jackstar

I used to read all of pate's posts.

Jackstar

My cat has been missing for nine days and just came home two hours ago. I am a wreck.

pate

The boot-leg blue:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDBab-WBdIQ\\

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Jackstar on September 24, 2017, 09:18:44 PM
My cat has been missing for nine days and just came home two hours ago. I am a wreck.

It came home? Is that a Stockholm syndrome type thing going on there? You need to get it checked out. It may need therapy to overcome its irrational homing instincts; Free the kitty.

Jojo

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 25, 2017, 07:51:09 AM

It came home? Is that a Stockholm syndrome type thing going on there? You need to get it checked out. It may need therapy to overcome its irrational homing instincts; Free the kitty.
Poor Jackstar.  Someone probably tried to take her in mistakenly.  She must love you very much to have opportunized to escape, and/or struggle to find her way home amid danger.

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on September 11, 2017, 10:02:00 AM

https://twitter.com/SeattleNews360/status/906895287758802944

Joy is dead.
What will homeless people and fast food places do!  They could be made of wood or bamboo and still be just as disposible.  If they are wood, I wood like them waxed!

Jojo

Quote from: ksm32 on August 30, 2017, 11:19:01 PM
I use to date a beautiful woman who wanted me to suck her toes. I did it once!

- the smell? vinegar, blue cheese, slightly rotted trout.

- the taste? vinegar, blue cheese, slightly rotted trout.

It seemed like the thing to do at the time, she was a truly beautiful woman by any mans standards. I broke off any contact the next day.

One time a guy wouldn't NOT suck my toes.  On a day when my shoe's color had transferred to my toes!  I told him so, but he insisted we go find a secluded place at the school... Gross!

Jojo

Quote from: paladin1991 on August 29, 2017, 02:00:33 AM
I am a Lesbian.   FM way back.
Quote from: paladin1991 on August 29, 2017, 02:00:33 AM
I am a Lesbian.   FM way back.
Your avatar wears the expression of a lesbian I knew.  She moved to a rural community.

paladin1991

Quote from: Jojo on September 25, 2017, 02:05:20 PM
Your avatar wears the expression of a lesbian I knew.  She moved to a rural community.

And you (A)mish her, do you?

GravitySucks

I don’t know who Chelsea Handler is.

aldousburbank

I don't think George Carlin is funny.