• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151029 - Neil deGrasse Tyson - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 29, 2015, 04:28:00 PM

GravitySucks

Quote from: Rat-eating Hater on October 29, 2015, 11:33:59 PM
Never have seen a Titan silo. I did get to see an active Nike site just outside Washington DC in the early 60s.

I've explored around some really old abandoned Atlas silos that were in a ring around Plattsburgh NY. I couldn't find all of them, but I did find two. Some where in Vermont around Burlington. They're probably all filled in now, but back in 75 there was at least one you could get inside of. I didn't go inside. Just looked around.

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 29, 2015, 11:27:53 PM
+19.5

I was working on Orion when Constellation got cancelled. Going back to the moon was Bushe's plan.

Now we are still building Orion. We are still building the SLS. Youbjust can't call it Constellation.

We don't know where we are going yet, or where, but we know it won't be the moon, why? Well because that was Bush's plan. The state of NASA's strategic plan is sickening IMHO

In 1969 when 2001 A Space Odyssey came out I figured that we would come close to achieving that Pan Am space wheel and a colony on the Moon. It sure has been a letdown. I'd love to see a big space program again. That's tax money well spent.

Zzzzillion

So, Neil. Sooo, when did people start beginning their sentences with the word "so", especially science and computer peeps. Most often when answering a question. It's maddening.

Other insufferable language ticks/trends:

1.  The tendency to, like, use, like, the word "like" several times unnecessarily in like, sentences. I don't, like, know exactly when this happened, or who, like, started it, but, like, whoever is responsible ... off with their, like, head.

2.  "I know, right?!" I'm not a violent person, but every time I hear this one I have an overwhelming urge to punch the perpetrator in the throat.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 29, 2015, 11:37:54 PM
I've explored around some really old abandoned Atlas silos that were in a ring around Plattsburgh NY. I couldn't find all of them, but I did find two. Some where in Vermont around Burlington. They're probably all filled in now, but back in 75 there was at least one you could get inside of. I didn't go inside. Just looked around.

The former kingpin of LSD owned one and made almost all of the worlds LSD in it for years.

Quote from: Barfly on October 29, 2015, 11:37:27 PM
Buk gave great advice

Sure did, got news though, the crowd's here drinking all of that nothing coffee.

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 29, 2015, 11:39:04 PM
Ah, so you're saying it's CGI'd or something.

Clearly a conspiracy. I hope the conspiracy cruise solves the mystery.

chefist

Quote from: Rat-eating Hater on October 29, 2015, 11:33:59 PM
Never have seen a Titan silo. I did get to see an active Nike site just outside Washington DC in the early 60s.

The Titan II sites are great! I live right next to the Titan II missile museum...a fascinating place! There was an abandoned Nike base in the county I grew up in, in southern Illinois...as kids we would jump the fence and explore...it was great!

Weirdoradio

Did Art say 'Saturday October 25' as the airdate when coming back from break?

ShayP

Quote from: Rocky4228 on October 29, 2015, 11:21:57 PM
My updated man crush power rankings:

1-Bruce Springsteen
2-Aaron Rodgers
3-Neil deGrasse Tyson
4-Craig Ferguson

Springsteen!!!!  really?

chefist

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 29, 2015, 11:37:54 PM

Those Atlas sites where massive! Basically they were the size of the Apollo rockets, they were stored horizontally and then lifted into launch position!

coaster

Has a scientist on, talks religion and politics. Groan.

zmbabwe

Quote from: coaster on October 29, 2015, 11:43:33 PM

I know.  Why's Art asking these questions?

zmbabwe

Quote from: Barfly on October 29, 2015, 11:43:45 PM
LOL

I believe thats from a interview with Buk

It's the same interview as the previous gif.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: Barfly on October 29, 2015, 11:43:45 PM
LOL

I believe thats from a interview with Buk

hehe yeah, I watched that one years ago.  It was awesome.

ShayP

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on October 29, 2015, 11:42:14 PM
A real man would have just shot her.

No...just go to a lake or river and hold her underwater just enough where she can see and hear you clearly, therefore knowing why she will go nighty night.

inuk2600

Quote from: coaster on October 29, 2015, 11:43:33 PM

Haha ya but it's kinda fun watching him dodge.

WOTR

That's it.  Politics first... And now mixing it with religion is just too much.  Science is going to write the moral laws now?  Fine, you don't like religion- it should not be what is relied on to write laws... But science cannot be relied on to write laws (hello eugenics and craniometry under a certain leader...

Good night all.

ShayP

Quote from: Darth Sandra on October 29, 2015, 11:44:38 PM
I know rite! Where is Ace Frehley?

Okay...I need norland to give me one of his shaking head no gifs!