• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bart Ell's thread

Started by Metron2267, August 14, 2019, 04:12:09 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 20, 2019, 09:12:03 AM
Right back atcha, butterbox -- it's klompen stompin time!

I shall smite thee again in 7.9 hours.

We had tons of those shoes when I was a kid.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Liberace! on August 20, 2019, 09:18:57 AM

Haha we did, too!  Grandparents were missionaries in Indonesia before the war and then in Holland serving the folks that fled Sukarno.  How I never broke an ankle skidding around in them is a miracle.

ItsOver

Quote from: AZRAA on August 20, 2019, 09:53:32 AM
Can you light them on fire?
I wouldn't be listening to Heater while wearing them.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 20, 2019, 09:33:07 AM
Haha we did, too!  Grandparents were missionaries in Indonesia before the war and then in Holland serving the folks that fled Sukarno.  How I never broke an ankle skidding around in them is a miracle.
They are sort of the original work-safety footwear. I wonder if they are approved by OSHA and what their ANSI rating is? 

Your grandparents probably ate a lot of sate, there and in Holland. Tasty- although I've always been a bit suspect as it would appear that anything, including rats, could be the meat on the skewer.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on August 20, 2019, 11:04:45 AM
They are sort of the original work-safety footwear. I wonder if they are approved by OSHA and what their ANSI rating is? 

Your grandparents probably ate a lot of sate, there and in Holland. Tasty- although I've always been a bit suspect as it would appear that anything, including rats, could be the meat on the skewer.

I may have mentioned this before but, under their French name "sabot", they are also at the root of industrial sabotage.

As good Christians (and dirt poor) my grandparents would not have eaten pure meat on a stick -- it has to be offset with at least 10x the volume in cheap starch.  Hence the aforementioned bahmi goreng, which Grandma used to approximate with spaghetti noodles, plain old white cabbage, and a few strips of bacon when they did their missionary shows:  blowpipe and tomtom, python skin, poison darts with the little gourd, glass slides of Grandpa in a dugout in Borneo, playing his accordion in the jungle, posing in a headhunter's hut with skulls hanging from the rafters.

I've since learned to make it the right way from a real Indonesian lady and her 104-year-old father who spent decades as a political prisoner (of a nationalist cast) under Suharto -- coincidentally they were both at my aunt's for dinner last night.

WOTR

Quote from: Liberace! on August 20, 2019, 09:18:57 AM
The Dutch store where I purchase my salted licorice has a ton of those on the wall at cheap prices. I have always considered purchasing a pair for those occasions when I take the garbage out or need to run out to the car for something... But I have no idea how uncomfortable they are...

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 20, 2019, 11:38:32 AM
I've since learned to make it the right way from a real Indonesian lady and her 104-year-old father who spent decades as a political prisoner (of a nationalist cast) under Suharto -- coincidentally they were both at my aunt's for dinner last night.

I read about this in the papers. Things were going fine until k_dubb started to read his 'Ode to an Expiring Frog'. He was only halfway through the third verse before that poor centenarian started banging his head on the table. He's still under sedation, and this is a man well used to electricity and being beaten with hammers.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on August 20, 2019, 11:51:10 AM
I read about this in the papers. Things were going fine until k_dubb started to read his 'Ode to an Expiring Frog'. He was only halfway through the third verse before that poor centenarian started banging his head on the table. He's still under sedation, and this is a man well used to electricity and being beaten with hammers.

Haha no poetry but I did play the piano and we sang a couple half-remembered hymns in what I took to be Malay which must have produced a similar effect.

VC

UNscreened, Open Lines. ++1 Karma

Feather button has lots of buttons. :D

The don't answer your UNscreened call button. +1

Woo Hoo +1

"Oh I got lots of buttons baby." "I got buttons in every pocket." "You can't outsmart the dump button." "I got another button with a big ole X on it. It's called the hang-up on the call button."

AZZERAE

Quote from: WOTR on August 20, 2019, 11:50:05 AM
The Dutch store where I purchase my salted licorice has a ton of those on the wall at cheap prices.

On the topic of liquorice: ever heard of niggerballs?

WOTR

Quote from: AZRAA on August 20, 2019, 12:06:41 PM
On the topic of liquorice: ever heard of niggerballs?

nigger babies -> black babies -> licorice babies.  I have to assume that these followed the same progression and are now licorice balls?

AZZERAE

Quote from: SredniVashtar on August 20, 2019, 11:51:10 AM
'Ode to an Expiring Frog'.

Don’t you talk about Richard like that ...

Quote from: AZRAA on August 20, 2019, 12:12:59 PM
Don’t you talk about Richard like that ...

i cried for hours when i saw that.   :'( :'( :'(

AZZERAE

Quote from: WOTR on August 20, 2019, 12:11:32 PM
nigger babies -> black babies -> licorice babies.  I have to assume that these followed the same progression and are now licorice balls?

Yeah. Way to politicize a sweet.

Spookcat

I may have mentioned this before but, under their French name "sabot", they are also at the root of industrial sabotage.

As good Christians (and dirt poor) my grandparents would not have eaten pure meat on a stick -- it has to be offset with at least 10x the volume in cheap starch.  Hence the aforementioned bahmi goreng, which Grandma used to approximate with spaghetti noodles, plain old white cabbage, and a few strips of bacon when they did their missionary shows:  blowpipe and tomtom, python skin, poison darts with the little gourd, glass slides of Grandpa in a dugout in Borneo, playing his accordion in the jungle, posing in a headhunter's hut with skulls hanging from the rafters.

You should have your own food thread.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Spookcat on August 20, 2019, 01:51:54 PM

Thanks -- I think.  I do tend to foul the tightly cogent discussions here with aromas from the kitchen.

The funniest part was when she showed me how to make the sauce -- done separately in a little pan with a particular kind of soy sauce that my dad calls "bug juice" after seeing open vats of it outside in Borneo -- and had me taste it as she kept adding salt.  It is when your taste buds rebel that it is finally salty enough to be mixed in, a point white people stubbornly fail to comprehend and she was determined to drive home.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Spookcat on August 20, 2019, 01:51:54 PM

He's certainly partial to a sausage or two. He's been thrown out of more delis than you've had hot breakfasts.

Spookcat

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 20, 2019, 02:49:16 PM
Thanks -- I think.  I do tend to foul the tightly cogent discussions here with aromas from the kitchen.

The funniest part was when she showed me how to make the sauce -- done separately in a little pan with a particular kind of soy sauce that my dad calls "bug juice" after seeing open vats of it outside in Borneo -- and had me taste it as she kept adding salt.  It is when your taste buds rebel that it is finally salty enough to be mixed in, a point white people stubbornly fail to comprehend and she was determined to drive home.

Are you going to make cookies this winter??

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on August 20, 2019, 03:01:15 PM
He's certainly partial to a sausage or two. He's been thrown out of more delis than you've had hot breakfasts.

Oh har har a gay sex joke.  Well-played, sir, and sure to get a laugh.  Next you will not want me near the food for fear of where my fingers have been, never mind that the human body inside and out is eminently washable and responds gratefully to such attentions.

There is no need to thank me for bringing the rudiments of civilization to your backward shithole.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Spookcat on August 20, 2019, 03:15:47 PM
Are you going to make cookies this winter??

I am!  It's funny, I just got a thank-you note from one of my folks' neighbors for the tin I brought over Christmas eve with a dozen varieties, plus saffron buns -- probably afraid of seeing me at this year's Nordic Fest.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 20, 2019, 02:49:16 PM

Borneo, huh.   That must be the sauce they eat with long pig. 

DanTSX

Lots of sexual tension amongst you folks here..... :o

K_Dubb

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on August 20, 2019, 03:56:36 PM
Borneo, huh.   That must be the sauce they eat with long pig.

It's funny Grandpa didn't have any cannibal stories -- it would be the classic missionary-in-a-pot.  Plenty of headhunter stories, though; he was supposedly one of the first white men up certain rivers in the interior among the people collectively called Dayaks but who aren't really all that related.

I've come to view the missionary stories with a certain degree of skepticism -- there's one crocodile-wrestling one (not him but a convert) that, even as a kid, raised an eyebrow -- but he was undoubtedly courageous, pious fervor notwithstanding.

DanTSX

Quote from: username on August 19, 2019, 02:36:31 PM
This thread is like I'm at ellgab all over again.
PraiE baert *peers over tea mug*

I  spend the day getting my arse kicked at work, come home only to see the thread has strayed from Jim Fetzer's goiter to
Dutch shoes. 

Focus people.

albrecht

Helping a relative move, who had to conveniently go out of town before final move-out of their place, and I had to carefully take down a python skin (wrapped almost wall and 1/2 of his home office) that was given to him by his granddad who was a missionary over there and killed it. He didn't trust his wife (or she refused, depending on version) to do so carefully enough for shipping. Key is take down first, lay in hallway, then roll carefully (I used an old paper-towel tube to start.)

I had a history teacher who had a shrunken-head, her husband got in Ecuador or somewhere down south working for the "company" US AID, I think. I used "company" as a purposeful allusion, btw. She said most are fake and you really need to be careful.  I don't recall why this would've been brought up in class. I guess to get our attention.