Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: BellBoy on December 14, 2015, 09:17:31 AM
"Art Bell's I'm Totally Not Quitting This Time Radio Theatre, in 7 weeks"

FIFY

BellBoy

Quote from: rekcuf on December 14, 2015, 09:15:50 AM
lol, I know. I've except the fact that Art won't ever be back full time. Maybe, maybe he'll pop in. I personally believe MITD is done. Besides the sunshine pumpers on this forum, not much love for Heather elsewhere.

Art handed her a shit sandwich and forced asked her to take a bite in front of us all, last Friday. He knows the show is doomed. There is no way he cannot know that. No one will accept her (or anyone) as a fit replacement. Heather's best bet is to try to make it, with her own show, on her own merit. From the tone and cadence of her delivery, NPR might be a good destination. Tying herself to Art's legacy will just be an albatross around her neck.,

norland2424

Quote from: rekcuf on December 14, 2015, 09:20:59 AM
If I were Keith I'd say, no... He got burned the most in all this. Art will not do a podcast. He said he'll only do live shows. He could always try,  but I highly doubt he would receive support like he did for MITD.

I remember people not believing Art would be back after he quit dark matter and look at us all now.

pate

Quote from: BellBoy on December 14, 2015, 09:00:07 AM
Then he should quit... and leave it at that. What is the point of dangling the possibility of sporadic appearances, that both he and we, know full well is unlikely to happen?

(especially come January 1st)

Jim Dangle-Bell's half-uncle thrice moved just sed he might have heard sumthin' about a fanboi plannin' on moving to the High Desserts (I prefer cheesecake), and he got a bit twitchy.

Out of all this y'all get spasmodic apparitions?

Man, don't blame the half-brother of some guy I heard on the Citizen's Band while driving around twixt the Montana/Idioho/Nawrth/South Dickota line...

Kept me awake at night, but I had a job to do.  Y'all take this personal.

Quote from: BellBoy on December 14, 2015, 09:23:55 AM
Art handed her a shit sandwich and forced asked her to take a bite in front of us all, last Friday. He knows the show is doomed. There is no way he cannot know that. No one will accept her (or anyone) as a fit replacement. Heather's best bet is to try to make it, with her own show, on her own merit. From the tone and cadence of her delivery, NPR might be a good destination. Tying herself to Art's legacy will just be an albatross around her neck.,

Agreed.

Quote from: norland2424 on December 14, 2015, 09:24:22 AM
I remember people not believing Art would be back after he quit dark matter and look at us all now.

But there was some warning, correct? His spat with XM was public before he quit. An hour before he quit, he posted about that days guest. If we wait 2 years, he'll be 74...

norland2424

Quote from: rekcuf on December 14, 2015, 09:30:40 AM
But there was some warning, correct? His spat with XM was public before he quit. An hour before he quit, he posted about that days guest. If we wait 2 years, he'll be 74...

From what i remember it was Art complaining about the audio quality of the stream and lack of callers, then at the end of ghost 2 ghost he quit.

Quote from: BellBoy on December 14, 2015, 09:23:55 AM
Art handed her a shit sandwich and forced asked her to take a bite in front of us all, last Friday. He knows the show is doomed. There is no way he cannot know that. No one will accept her (or anyone) as a fit replacement. Heather's best bet is to try to make it, with her own show, on her own merit. From the tone and cadence of her delivery, NPR might be a good destination. Tying herself to Art's legacy will just be an albatross around her neck.

It's why MV suggested that she turn down the offer to host the show, as much of a siren's call as that position might be. If a radio gig is her dream, she'll have to work for it and production side doesn't cut it. After she was hired on to Art's team, I thought it would be a good idea to have her own show on the network for practice without any of the pressure but it never happened. Dr. J managed to find the time, so how serious can her radio dream be?

Art Bell

I think she has what it takes to make it, she is smart, a great voice and a fast learner. I am giving her all the help I can. I think people will be surprised.

Art

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on December 14, 2015, 09:33:45 AM
It's why MV suggested that she turn down the offer to host the show going forward, as much of a siren's call as that position might be. If a radio gig is her dream, she'll have to work for it and the production side doesn't cut it. After she was hired on to Art's team, I thought it would be a good idea to have her own show on the network for practice without any of the pressure but it never happened. Dr. J managed to find the time, so how serious can her radio dream be?

*reported* for logical thinking.

Some things you can learn on the fly. Hosting a 3 hour radio show, isn't one of them. She should've turned down hosting that day. That would have bought herself more time to prepare. She accepted. So, now it's on her to produce.

pate

Quote from: Art Bell on December 14, 2015, 09:39:41 AM
I think she has what it takes to make it, she is smart, a great voice and a fast learner. I am giving her all the help I can. I think people will be surprised.

Art

reported

I agree.  Also self-report

BellBoy

Art

But will it be enough surprise, in enough numbers, in enough time, Art?

(30 days... tick! tick! tick!)

Art

Your influence was apparent on Friday, in real time.

We will miss you like hell--and many, many obviously hope to tune in live one of these nights and hear, "From the high desert, this is Art Bell," like this was all a bad dream, hah.

When you come back--if you come back--in this incarnation or any other, you'll still have an army of die-hards ready to help you roll it out in any big or small way we can.

Art

Does this mean you're unretiring? Hosting for a couple years would help.  :)

Lilith

Art

I agree she has a great voice and is smart Art.  The problem for ME is,  (and I say this even being female myself), that female voices do not come across over the air, or even as news broadcasters on Television,  the same way that those deep, comforting, confident male voices do.  Its not a matter of it "being a mans world",  Its just a matter of the difference between how a male voice resonates, compared to a female voice IMO.  I'm just speaking for myself, but there are studies on this.

Best wishes and love to you and your family Art.

Art

Art, is there any chance of you coming back again five nights a week and not just occasionally?

Quote from: brig on December 14, 2015, 09:50:43 AM
I agree she has a great voice and is smart Art.  The problem for ME is,  (and I say this even being female myself), that female voices do not come across over the air, or even as news broadcasters on Television,  the same way that those deep, comforting, confident male voices do.  Its not a matter of it "being a mans world",  Its just a matter of the difference between how a male voice resonates, compared to a female voice IMO.  I'm just speaking for myself, but there are studies on this.

Best wishes and love to you and your family Art.

Bless your honest heart, Brig. Those studies are correct. Brain processes and responds better to deeper voices.  Heather's saving grace; she has a deep voice for a female. Not a manish voice, don't get it twisted.

Art Bell

I did not say I was Retiring did I? I said I was going off the air because of this increasing problem with a Stalker. If some time can pass without incident I would be happy to do a random show. The big problem with this has been I had a fixed routine making it way to easy for this fool.

Art

BellBoy

Quote from: Art Bell on December 14, 2015, 09:59:10 AM
I did not say I was Retiring did I? I said I was going off the air because of this increasing problem with a Stalker. If some time can pass without incident I would be happy to do a random show. The big problem with this has been I had a fixed routine making it way to easy for this fool.

Art

I'm still a fan BTW... have been since 1988. But, it's beyond the weeds and well into the rough now. I just don't see how this thing is ever going to get back on the road...

Best wishes to you and yours, for the holidays.

Art

Even with the exposure you've brought Heather and all of the advice you've given her, you've actually damaged her chances at being a successful talk host in the short term because of how the latest retirement has played out. She deserves a fair shot but won't get it because you botched the announcement. You won't understand my point, Art, but there it is.

Art

^ He's BACK! I won't be crying myself to sleep clutching my signed copy of The Art of Talk. Not tonight! No, Sir!

sorefinger

Art

Why didn't you just put in an interim host? Every top talk show in the nation does.  Michael Savage said that he wouldn't have lasted this long without all the guest hosts that have helped him along the way.  Many times he just wanted to throw up his hands and quit, too, but after a host had filled in for a couple of days, he felt better about it and continued.  You are not the only person in the world who can do Midnight, you know.

bellNwhistle

Art

Why couldn't you pre-record a few shows during the week, to play at night during the regular time slot? Only you and the guest would know when you were recording.  You would obviously have to cut out the call--in portion of the show, but if you're only doing this a couple of times a week (while Heather or someone else does the rest of the week), it gives you more time to do an interview. 

Also, is there any chance you can do a New Year's special?

Art

The headline read and i quote "Art Hangs It Up For the Last Time." If this doesn't mean retirement I need to look the word up in a dictionary.

pate

Brother Art, do what you need to do.

The fire is banked if you want to come home.  Heck(fire) we all might meet new friends and fires will be kept lit for that...

No one said it was dire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceSxmPjfwXQ