A Vulcan
97 (39.6%)
Hank's Japanese half-brother, "Junichero," in King of the Hill eps. 6ABE20-21  
57 (23.3%)
A stoner sufer named "Tracker," who mentored Sean Penn & Keanu Reeves
47 (19.2%)
Frankenstein's Monster
102 (41.6%)
One of those faces on the Sgt. Pepper album (2nd row from the top. Face #5)
66 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 245

morphiaflow

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 03, 2013, 02:41:20 PMThis is a magazine that tells us what music Madison Avenue thinks we should be listening to, mixed in with some obnoxious Mother Jones type reporting.

I have to take exception to this. There are a great many things I *dislike* about Rolling Stone, but Matt Taibbi's political writing and investigative journalism is among the very best, ever--and has rattled more than a few cages.

slipstream

Quote from: Sardondi on February 03, 2013, 02:31:53 PM
? But there is nothing about valdez's statement which is "contrary to the 1st Amendment". There is a disconnect between your first statement and your second. onan has it right, below...

No, you're wrong. It is called a free press. When a reporter feels obliged (because of favors etc...) not report certain facts, the press is not free. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: morphiaflow on February 03, 2013, 02:56:08 PM
I have to take exception to this. There are a great many things I *dislike* about Rolling Stone, but Matt Taibbi's political writing and investigative journalism is among the very best, ever--and has rattled more than a few cages.
Ironically, I view Rolling Stone as borderline, if not outright worthless when it comes to things like...music and pop culture ;D , but Taibbi's takes on Wall Street are usually top notch and James Bamford's articles about Iraq/Afghanistan/NSA doings I found to be astute.

Sardondi

Quote from: slipstream on February 03, 2013, 03:01:58 PM
No, you're wrong. It is called a free press. When a reporter feels obliged (because of favors etc...) not report certain facts, the press is not free.

Of course. But it's not responsive to what valdez said. It's as if he wrote, "I like chocolate", and you responded, "Tuesday".

slipstream

Quote from: Sardondi on February 03, 2013, 03:13:40 PM
Of course. But it's not responsive to what valdez said. It's as if he wrote, "I like chocolate", and you responded, "Tuesday".

He was actually referring to freedom of the press. 'Freedom of speech' was used has a general term for the 1st amendment. 

Sardondi

Quote from: slipstream on February 03, 2013, 03:26:44 PM

He was actually referring to freedom of the press. 'Freedom of speech' was used has a general term for the 1st amendment.

I give up.

Did you ever smell the milk in the carton and think, "Damn, that's bad."  But you had to taste it anyway??

Of course not!  So why did I even turn on the radio last night?  I've started out the new year as a moronic asshole..

Crap.

ItsOver

Wells makes for pretty good white noise.  Just turn the volume down and you'll get a low monotone sound.  Since Wells is barely intelligible at normal volume, you don't have to turn it down very low to get a rambling low noise, kind of like a random noise generating woofer.

soulburner

Listening to John B. Wells for longer periods of time is unbearable. Why? Because he pauses all the time. One word, pause, second word, pause, and so on. He also believes chemtrails are real. I believe chemtrails is the number one thing to discredit everything a person says. I didn't always agree with Art Bell too, but come on, chemtrails? :D

morphiaflow

Speculation: This Saturday night, JBW will say that Alabama kidnapper/murderer Jimmy Lee Dykes, also a Vietnam vet and "survivalist", is actually a misunderstood hero and patriot. Further, Wells will say that the FBI/law enforcement raid which killed Dykes and rescued his 5 year old victim was yet another false flag black op by our government which will somehow lead to the end of our freedoms (especially gun rights).

I'll put a dollar down on it. Anyone want to take that bet?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: morphiaflow on February 04, 2013, 07:58:09 PM
Speculation: This Saturday night, JBW will say that Alabama kidnapper/murderer Jimmy Lee Dykes, also a Vietnam vet and "survivalist", is actually a misunderstood hero and patriot. Further, Wells will say that the FBI/law enforcement raid which killed Dykes and rescued his 5 year old victim was yet another false flag black op by our government which will somehow lead to the end of our freedoms (especially gun rights).

I'll put a dollar down on it. Anyone want to take that bet?
All the above is on his script. And the kidnapped child, who supposedly has Aspberger's, is REALLY a victim of doctors and vaccinations.

morphiaflow

Yep, and on top of that it's all a big plot to discredit and demonize patriots, gun owners, veterans and survivalists.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: morphiaflow on February 04, 2013, 08:33:35 PM
Yep, and on top of that it's all a big plot to discredit and demonize patriots, gun owners, veterans and survivalists.
Unfortunately, Premiere thinks that's 100% of their target audience(no pun intended) Society's margins are sadly, C2C 2013's mainstream.

morphiaflow

And that may well be the case. I tend to think it is. Add in birthers, young earthers, climate deniers, et al. So Coast is now the fringe with a pseudo-respectable mainstream face (or at least name-brand recognition), with the likes of Wells and Alex Jones representing that aspect, and making the REST of right-wing talk radio (Hannitty, Limbaugh, Coulter et al) seem tame in comparison...I suppose Beck is probably the link between the two. I'd say Savage, but he is his own man, agree or disagree with him, and isn't afraid to go against the grain or the wingnuts.

Ugh. I hate the whole thing. I just want good paranormal radio.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: morphiaflow on February 04, 2013, 09:48:35 PM
And that may well be the case. I tend to think it is. Add in birthers, young earthers, climate deniers, et al. So Coast is now the fringe with a pseudo-respectable mainstream face (or at least name-brand recognition), with the likes of Wells and Alex Jones representing that aspect, and making the REST of right-wing talk radio (Hannitty, Limbaugh, Coulter et al) seem tame in comparison...I suppose Beck is probably the link between the two. I'd say Savage, but he is his own man, agree or disagree with him, and isn't afraid to go against the grain or the wingnuts.

Ugh. I hate the whole thing. I just want good paranormal radio.
Savage's past lives, and what campaign(s) he's donated to: Jerry Brown for instance, show him to be probably be an entertainer more than an ideologue. And I suspect Limbaugh also traipses a fine line, because the ardent conservative on the radio is known for rubbing shoulders with the snobbish elites he purports to despise. I think's it "showbiz" with him as well.  Beck is a morning zoo host who sublimated politics/religion for drugs/booze. The zeal of a recent convert can be applied to him on most issues.

There's too many to mention. But shows like Art's are a paucity now. I'd like to think there is an audience out there, but I remember Art's final batch of shows, and the one from 7/23/2010 stands out...he and his guest's(Peter Ward) views on climate change didn't go over well with Noory's legions. I remember thinking "If Art don't quit tonight"....

morphiaflow

Yeah, I remember listening to that episode when it aired--and I've referenced this since--and just hearing Art sound increasingly defeated and crushed, getting abuse after abuse piled upon him by climate-denying Noory-ites, and he was clearly resigned that night to the fact that "Crazy Old Uncle Art" was no longer welcome in the house that Noory (re-)built. I've never heard him sound literally HURT on the air and like he wanted to just get it over with, trying to reason with these people, patiently explaining that he and George can agree to disagree and why can't the listeners respect that? Even though he did one or two more episodes between that one and G2G, I really think that was THE decisive night and the true beginning of the end.

Eddie Coyle

I think of the famous Roger Waters barb about Floyd after his departure "they took my child and sold her into prostitution, and I'll never forgive them for that", well Art can really feel that way...and then some. Those final shows(actually, beginning in '08 with his Obama endorsement) had Art on a different wavelength than the core of the listeners. 7/23/10 can be viewed as the nail being hammered thoroughly on the Bell years of C2C. The relatively lame Ghost to Ghost being the coffin lid being closed with 2 ton sandbags.

morphiaflow

As a fellow Roger-leaning Floyd fan who knows that specific quote all too well, it's impossible to disagree. At the same time, the commercially excessive elements of post-Roger Floyd notwithstanding, these were still intelligent men each with their own point of view...but time has healed many of those wounds. On the other hand, I do not see a Live 8 moment for George and Art. Nor would I ever want to hear George belt out "Comfortably Numb".

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: morphiaflow on February 04, 2013, 11:11:44 PM
As a fellow Roger-leaning Floyd fan who knows that specific quote all too well, it's impossible to disagree. At the same time, the commercially excessive elements of post-Roger Floyd notwithstanding, these were still intelligent men each with their own point of view...but time has healed many of those wounds. On the other hand, I do not see a Live 8 moment for George and Art. Nor would I ever want to hear George belt out "Comfortably Numb".
Noory can do a parody of "Comfortably Dumb".

Other Floyd songs applied to C2C:

"Burning Bridges", "Absolutely Curtains"(because this show is) "Us and Them" "Brain Damage" "Sheep" "Pigs" "Nobody Home" "Waiting for the Worms" "Paranoid Eyes" "Not Now John" (or ever, Mr Wells)  "Take It Back" (please Art)

And most Waters fans wanted some rapprochement between Roger and Gilmour/Wright/Mason. But Art fans...they want no such thing. To hell with Noory, even if it means letting this show die.

McPhallus

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 04, 2013, 11:29:59 PM
Other Floyd songs applied..."

With no comeback in sight, Noory will continue to radiate cold shards of broken glass, his overlong tenure being nearly a laugh but really a cry.

morphiaflow

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 04, 2013, 11:29:59 PM
     Noory can do a parody of "Comfortably Dumb".

Or, to quote a parody I wrote at the time, you could say he's a "Comfortable Bum".

As Syd might have said...."Rats."

morphiaflow

Wells is at it early, or at least a quite Wellsian type...found this trolling around my local CL.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/rnr/3594889179.html

Insanity

Quote from: morphiaflow on February 05, 2013, 01:12:15 AM
Wells is at it early, or at least a quite Wellsian type...found this trolling around my local CL.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/rnr/3594889179.html

Wait.

What?

Eddie Coyle

Well, there you go, Feburary 4 can be "Jimmy Lee Dykes martyrdom day" in the breakaway republic of Retardica. Another victim of the guv'mint, dead for no reason. Retardica's government only cracks down on 72 year old lesbians exchanging wedding vows, not silly trifles like random murder/child abduction.

morphiaflow

I couldn't help but leave a slightly modified version of my false flag comments as a response, just as a fun game of troll bait, but so far no bites. ah well. I have better thins to do than troll cl at night, but I just haven't felt like doing them. but with Art's latest non-announcement and the state of C2C unlikely to change, I think I can see myself slipping back into relative lurkerdom....until, you know, the next time.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: morphiaflow on February 05, 2013, 02:27:57 AM
but with Art's latest non-announcement and the state of C2C unlikely to change, I think I can see myself slipping back into relative lurkerdom....until, you know, the next time.
I'm as pessimistic as they come...but for some strange reason, I think Art really wants to return and wouldn't be surprised if another "tempest" is stirred up in the near future. Just hopefully bearing fruit next time.

We can't let the (radio) terrorists win.

morphiaflow

And I in turn am as optimistic as they come, in general (though I really do feel I know where the line between optimism and naivete/gullibility lies). Indeed I seem to recall that my frustrated optimism caused me to clash with your pessimism, once upon a time. :) but I agree, Art clearly DOES want to come back, he's got to miss it, and certainly the state of Coast is a great instigator. But he not only wants the right deal, on his terms, but he admits he was considering it now for the "wrong reasons".

I sincerely wonder if that might have something to do with some of the things he's read on this forum, since as I've observed elsewhere I'm pretty sure he does keep more of an eye on it than anyone realizes.

That said, I hope you're right. I want him to come back. On his terms and for the right reason. I'm just done having my optimism tested. I still believe it will happen. But I'm not going to say "how high?" when Art teases that he might say "jump". As I've said I'll wait for the press release and set, scheduled time.

Until then....we can bitch about GN and JBW. Though that's almost too easy at this point.

ericdxx

My sound system can't take shit much longer. Will you hire a god damn vocal coach already?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: morphiaflow on February 05, 2013, 04:19:26 AM
And I in turn am as optimistic as they come, in general (though I really do feel I know where the line between optimism and naivete/gullibility lies). Indeed I seem to recall that my frustrated optimism caused me to clash with your pessimism, once upon a time. :) but I agree, Art clearly DOES want to come back, he's got to miss it, and certainly the state of Coast is a great instigator. But he not only wants the right deal, on his terms, but he admits he was considering it now for the "wrong reasons".

I sincerely wonder if that might have something to do with some of the things he's read on this forum, since as I've observed elsewhere I'm pretty sure he does keep more of an eye on it than anyone realizes.

That said, I hope you're right. I want him to come back. On his terms and for the right reason. I'm just done having my optimism tested. I still believe it will happen. But I'm not going to say "how high?" when Art teases that he might say "jump". As I've said I'll wait for the press release and set, scheduled time.

Until then....we can bitch about GN and JBW. Though that's almost too easy at this point.

George Carlin's maxim about a "pessimist being a disappointed idealist" probably applies to me. I can see Art's reluctance about not wanting create something merely in spite, because that can lead to short-sighted, rushed decisions. And If the logistics to carry out what he envisions aren't quite right, that too I find understandable. Like Art said, he doesn't want go half-assed like a certain dolt from Detroit.
        The only annoyance I'd have with Art, is if this came down to money issues. That could*(depending on the amount) be irksome, because it reduces Art to amost being like a pro ballplayer. If they're giving him short shrift, then I'd could see Art's side...

Juan

Wells, tonight, actually laughed at himself for mixing up Petraeus and McChrystal last week.  Then commented on the emails he had gotten complaining about his use of "like" and other stumble words.  He laughed at himself rather than call us haters.  That, in itself, is an improvement.